PDA

View Full Version : How to handle burnout

pulzcul
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm entertaining suggestions on how and/or what to do about "burnout". I don't think they are "bad streaks" anymore. They just seem to hang on to long. I'm pretty sure I'm just getting burned out. Maybe I should just walk away for a while but I'm not sure. Anyone have some inspiration to share?

JoeW
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
In general people "burnout" from too much sustained pressure. For some its a few weeks for other a few years. Rest is usually the answer.

If you mean bored then the simple answer is to create a real challenge for yourself. Set a goal that you think is just a little beyond your reach, but reachable. If the goals are unrealistic you will lose interest. If the goals are too easy, you will lose interest.

You proably need to take stock of what you expect from the game then set realistic goals. Better proficiency? Able to win money?, Admiration of friends? and the list goes on.

CreeDo
05-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Take two weeks off, then quit.

Sorry, I had to be the first one to throw that out there, lol.

A few people suggest time off as a solution... and maybe that worked for those people. Personally I think that's a pansy way out. If you enjoy the game and want to get better, you can do it at the table better than away from the table.

I think part of it may be that when someone talks about having a bad streak (especially a long bad streak) they are thinking incorrectly. They are comparing their usual game to the game they wish they had... the game they have one day a month.

Maybe you don't play "play bad" for long stretches because you're in a slump, maybe your overall level of skill is just not as high as you think it is. Maybe those slumps are you shooting normally and the rest is you shooting unusually well.

I know... hearing that might make you think I'm being a díck or that I just don't know you well enough to say something like that. But I truly think this is a common problem that causes people to say "man I've been hitting 'em bad like all week!"

The single best cure for not playing well, whether it's missing every ball for a month or for a single missed shot ... is to educate yourself on what you do wrong, learn stuff you didn't know, and spend time practicing this stuff. You want to reach a point where you can do it properly at will, no matter what kind of day you think you're having.

I personally find that I shoot better after watching pool videos, either high level tournament matches or instructional videos. Especially instructional videos because for a little while I am going to focus on what was being taught (even if I already knew it) and that extra focus shows in my game.

Watch videos, focus on improving your fundamentals and stroke during every shot (forget about whether you win or lose the game, just focus on making each ball and getting shape) and keep a realistic, positive attitude. Don't get pissed if you go for a breakout and come up dry, or miss a really tough shot. You're supposed to miss it, that's why it's called a tough shot =) Basically don't be pissed at anything except when you choose to shoot carelessly instead of taking it seriously.

Although it might sound boring, you might even try some drills. And change up the game. If you play 8 ball all the time, try some 10 ball for a bit.

TX Poolnut
05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Take a couple of weeks off and reassess what you expect out of the game (s).

Big C
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Take a couple of weeks off and reassess what you expect out of the game (s).A little time away from the game will do you good. I'm doing the same thing, but my attention has turned to golf and I am getting hooked on that again. I'm luck enough to have a table in my home, so I can play whenever I feel like it.

pulzcul
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate your honesty and input.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Take a couple of weeks off and reassess what you expect out of the game (s).

THAT'S A GREAT ANSWER....... JUST TAKING TIME OFF WON'T ALWAYS DO IT. YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE GAME WITH A FOCUS, AND A REASON. THOSE TWO THINGS ARE WHY THE BURNOUT APPEARS TO HAVE GONE AWAY.

PEOPLE ALWAYS SEEM TO BE BETTER AT THINGS THEY ENJOY, AND IF YOU'RE GETTING BURNED OUT, YOU NO LONGER ENJOY THE GAME, AND THAT COULD EASILY BE A REASON WHY YOUR GAME IS LACKING.

GOOD LUCK GETTING YOUR MOJO BACK

Marcus

Richardson
05-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Chicken Noodle soup.

Spimp13
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Switch hands.

DRINKDUFF
05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
When I get bored, I learn a new game. It opens up a whole other wold and aspect of your game.

crawfish
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I like to have a peote experience with my friend "Running Elk" on the Cherokee reservation. We sit for 48 hours and drink white lightning, and smoke the magic weed. He has a little hut he calls the "burn hut." After that, take a week off and it'll be all better. Redefine what you get from the game as opposed to what you give up. Align the two and you'll be in gear again.

Tom In Cincy
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Learn the meaning of the word 'Accept'.

Too many players get all wrapped up in what is happening to them during the matches they are playing. Their bad rolls, their opponents good rolls, poor position after making a tough shot, mostly their focus is on the negative.

You finally make a decent break, make 2 balls and then get hooked.
You finally make a great shot and the cue ball scratches, or gets hooked or you just don't even come close to the shape you wanted.
You are feeling good and ready to play in a tournament and BANG... you get the toughest player in the field, you have ZERO chance of even winning a game, let alone have a shot at the 8 ball.
Even the regular players you are suppose to beat are having GREAT games against you. You can't believe these players are playing so good.

Every thing is against you... well its always been there, every time you play it will be there, nothing changes except you are now using it all as an excuse for losing and not playing well.

Accept the FACT that the pool gods only favor the players that enjoy playing and focus on the POSITIVE aspect of the game. If you don't look forward to playing, what do you do when you show up?