PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Olhausen table...

dkindig
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Posted this in the mechanic's forum but only got a response saying I was spending too much. Can anyone shed some light on my main questions?

Looked at a used 8-footer tonight, and it looks to be an older table from what might be the Signature series.

Guy wants $1175. It has a 1" slate and a three-piece oak top to convert it to a dining table. (I know it's on the high side. I have had to pass up great deals on great tables because I can't fit a 9-footer).

How old is a table with the rectangular logo plate on the rail? This table doesn't have the oval logo. Also, if the age can be pinned down by the logo style, does this table definitely have Accufast cushions?

It's definitely solid oak, no tulipwood, no laminate...

Thanks, everyone...

xianmacx
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
In this economy, 1175 is overpriced for a 8fter. Actually in most economies.

I think the used market is very soft. Alot of people getting rid of tables HAVE to sell them for moves, etc. I would think you could get a much nicer table for around 1000. Are you checking craigslist?

xianmacx
05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
for the money, this looks like a great deal.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/spo/1160226935.html

This is a little higher, but I'm sure they could be talked down. I have never played on a sportking, but alot of people including Jay H, rave about them

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/spo/1135176701.html

Beware_of_Dawg
05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
lots of tables under 1000 right now. saw a diamond sell the other day for 1200 in great condition. Saw a GCIII on sale for 1000. Check Craiglist, but also check the local newspapers... many times if someone is tech savvy enough to use craigslist or even knows about it, they are also smart enough to look up the value of the table and will price it higher...

G/L and I wouldnt buy that olhausen at that price.

Ken_4fun
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I have an Olhausen table. Mine is top of the line, and it is solid oak as well. I think Olhausen has the best rails, but everything thing else is just average.

I think $1000 would be tops for a used one, even mine. I did get Simonis put on it when I bought it new, and 10 years later it still looks good.

Some of the suggestions here are for Diamond and GC, I think finding one of those in 8 foot would be tough. If you are seriously strapped for space then 8 foot is the only way to go, I think the 8 footers are more "family" tables and less quality, this includes Oldhausen and Brunswick.

If I had to do it all over,,,,,I would try as hard as could to get a 9 footer and go with Diamond, or GC.

Ken

Beware_of_Dawg
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
the recommended space requirements for a 8 vs. a 9 are only 6 inches in width a 12 in length. could you fit a 9 and use a shorter cue on a few cramped shots? What is the size of your room?

Bigjohn
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Take 10 bills with you but show him 9... he'll take it.