PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you guys think

paksat
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I've read I don't know how many times that the butt means very very little in comparison to the shaft.

Now, i'm a college student. With very little cash. I will be getting a tad bit of money soon though to where I can invest between 200-300$ on a cue.

My idea is to go ahead and get an OB-2 shaft with sniper tip and mount that on a players butt.

That or, I can potentially have the mezz ( see http://www.pooldawg.com/product/mezz-z401-pool-cue-stick )

Which would you do?

pwd72s
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I'd suggest going with the Mezz. You'll have a good playing cue right off the bat, and you can always experiment with shafts when your finances improve.

Black-Balled
05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I know more than 1 good player who uses the players/ other shaft with much success.

Good luck!

paksat
05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Unless you feel like you need a wrap, buy a custom sneaky.

I just traded a Bob Frey that I picked up for about what you are looking to spend--sweet cue.

I wouldn't buy new. I don't put much stock in LD shafts.

I shoot considerably better with LD shafts and I love em'

sokaiba
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I played with a Predator 314 for over a year and then stumbled upon an Ernie Martinez sneaky and never looked back. Not only did I pick it up for 200 but my speed went up a good ball to ball and a half. I say go the custom sneaky route and add an LD later if you want to. Good luck.

paksat
05-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I played with a Predator 314 for over a year and then stumbled upon an Ernie Martinez sneaky and never looked back. Not only did I pick it up for 200 but my speed went up a good ball to ball and a half. I say go the custom sneaky route and add an LD later if you want to. Good luck.

I'd have to put a wrap on it.

I will consider that route, obviously, not a huge fan of sneaky petes though.

tigerseye
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Wait on the mezz because i dont think the joints match-up....but you never know how the players/OB-2 combonation will work out for ya....
You may never miss a ball again!! =))

paksat
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Wait on the mezz because i dont think the joints match-up....but you never know how the players/OB-2 combonation will work out for ya....
You may never miss a ball again!! =))

What do you mean? If you mean the mezz matching up with the OB-2 then I wasn't going to do that.

That would cost me around 500 bux. I was just going to get the mezz ( use their standard shaft ) and that's it OR get a players and slam the OB-2 with sniper on the end.

joeboxer
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
What do you mean? If you mean the mezz matching up with the OB-2 then I wasn't going to do that.

That would cost me around 500 bux. I was just going to get the mezz ( use their standard shaft ) and that's it OR get a players and slam the OB-2 with sniper on the end.

Go with the Mezz, you wont regret it.

If you ever want to turn around and sell it, it will be easier to sell the Mezz cue than it would the Players.

The cue you linked above comes with the WD700 shaft, and that is Mezz version of a low deflection shaft. So if you like LD shafts then youre gonna get one with that Mezz model.
The tip on that shaft comes in at 12.5mm which is a little smaller than a regular shaft. Not as small as the OB2.
Good luck

IA8baller
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Get the mezz. :thumbup:

Grumpy
05-20-2009, 01:16 PM
That makes perfect sense, whatever you do buy a cue made in a country other than the USA.:banghead::banghead:I'd suggest going with the Mezz. You'll have a good playing cue right off the bat, and you can always experiment with shafts when your finances improve.

paksat
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
That makes perfect sense, whatever you do buy a cue made in a country other than the USA.:banghead::banghead:

lol.. go on..

tigerseye
05-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Woops...i was thinking for you to get the ob-2 shaft and then save up for a nicer cue with all the winnings you will get from using the ob-2 shaft...:thumbup:

Papa Red
05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
PM RCB of OB Cues here on AZB or contact them! I think the low end cue with an OB-1 or 2 is about $375. The butts are made by Joss! PM me or RCB for a phone number.

pwd72s
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM
That makes perfect sense, whatever you do buy a cue made in a country other than the USA.:banghead::banghead:

Actually, in the price range listed, I'd have suggested he go with a sneaky by Keith Josey. But the original post gave a choice between Mezz and Players. Aren't both made overseas? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The original poster seemed to have already narrowed the field to the two cues he mentioned.

For my own choice? Well, my cues are USA made...Josey, Jacoby, McDermott...

Wolven
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Here is another option. At platinumbilliards.com you could pick a Joss cue and for just $30 more get a matching OB-1 shaft. If you talk to them they could probably get for you OB-2 if you like the smaller tip.

TX Poolnut
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd get the Mezz.

paksat
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Here is another option. At platinumbilliards.com you could pick a Joss cue and for just $30 more get a matching OB-1 shaft. If you talk to them they could probably get for you OB-2 if you like the smaller tip.

That's interesting, i'll look into it.

scottyr44
05-20-2009, 04:27 PM
save the most and just play with 60 dollar players sneaky pete. maybe have the shaft turned a bit and put a nice tip on it. For the money the best cue out there unless you can find a old reverse pin duffrin sneaky.

paksat
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
save the most and just play with 60 dollar players sneaky pete. maybe have the shaft turned a bit and put a nice tip on it. For the money the best cue out there unless you can find a old reverse pin duffrin sneaky.

You're telling me that a 60 dollar players sneaky pete is all I need to play at a high level?

Mind you i'm not somebody that plays APA once a week. I spend monday-thursday 3-4 hours on a table per day.

Getting a job right now is hard. Pretty soon, i'm more then likely leaving "home" and moving into a dorm at some massive university. There's places out there with over 300 applications for the cook job in some of these places. I don't like my chances when it's 1 out of 300. Especially when there's 10,000 or so freshmen coming in and the lot of them having far superior resumes compared to mine.

Taking money from rich kids at the pool hall on university avenue has been a tried and true method for a couple people I know. One of the guys said that pool was the only thing that got him through college.

Now realize, I know i'm not going to be winning every night and making a grand a night/week or whatever. But I do like my chances most nights. I need a cue that's going to help me do that. I need consistency and quality and I need it when I NEED it. I know there's going to be times where the pressure is really going to be on and the first thing I want to be confident in is knowing that I have the quality of material in my hands to get the job done.

Yes i'm aware that it's the indian not the arrow. But damn those heat seeking arrows work really nice compared to just sheer ability.

mr8ball
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Check with Royce at OB1. I think he has a playing cue with the OB2 for around 300 or so. Check out the website

http://www.obcues.com/

1 877 399 9901 call him and tell him Doug sent you. Good luck

TheBook
05-20-2009, 09:59 PM
My advice is to forget buying a cue.

Concentrate on getting your education.

Put more time into your studies. Graduate.

Then start playing pool.

When you finally do get a job then buy a nice cue for a few grand as a reward for all that you have accomplished.

scottyr44
05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
You're telling me that a 60 dollar players sneaky pete is all I need to play at a high level?

Mind you i'm not somebody that plays APA once a week. I spend monday-thursday 3-4 hours on a table per day.

Getting a job right now is hard. Pretty soon, i'm more then likely leaving "home" and moving into a dorm at some massive university. There's places out there with over 300 applications for the cook job in some of these places. I don't like my chances when it's 1 out of 300. Especially when there's 10,000 or so freshmen coming in and the lot of them having far superior resumes compared to mine.

Taking money from rich kids at the pool hall on university avenue has been a tried and true method for a couple people I know. One of the guys said that pool was the only thing that got him through college.

Now realize, I know i'm not going to be winning every night and making a grand a night/week or whatever. But I do like my chances most nights. I need a cue that's going to help me do that. I need consistency and quality and I need it when I NEED it. I know there's going to be times where the pressure is really going to be on and the first thing I want to be confident in is knowing that I have the quality of material in my hands to get the job done.

Yes i'm aware that it's the indian not the arrow. But damn those heat seeking arrows work really nice compared to just sheer ability.

Yes first off you don't have a cue already so you probably don't play at a high level as of now. So there for a 60 dollar sneaky pete that i would play any tourny with is a good place to start when learning and something that is reliable. It doesn't matter what kind of cue you have if you can play you can play don't get caught up in the hype of this cue that cue this shaft that shaft.

rackem
05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Is that really how you feel about American labor.:grin-square::grin::D

mikeyfrost
05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Someone on here did mention those Bob Frey Sneaky Petes. They are no joke, a really nice cue for the money. I know a guy who had a stick that he paid $1500 or more for to play with and guess what? He ended up trying to sell it, and going back to playing with his Bob Frey SP, even went and put a cork wrap on it. I hit with it several times, now I have a Runde that plays similar to it.

www.cuesnthings.com check it out, definitely will be money well spent and you can buy for $300 and always sell it in 10 minutes for $200 if u get strapped for cash on here. You won't be able to do that with the Mezz or OB

rackem
05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I would suggest you pick up one of these. :thumbup:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=137726
You can always upgrade later on. This is not going to be the last cue you own
Give your game a chance to develope before you try the high tech stuff. Don't start dumping money when you aren't sure what's right for you.

JXMIKE
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I would go with a pechauer, billiard warehouse offers 100s of them with custom options like stain,wrap,shaft diameter,tip,weight,collar,butt cap etc. they range from low end to high end i play with a sneaky pete that i bought for $280 and its solid hits great and i dont know if ill ever replace it.

rossaroni
05-20-2009, 11:25 PM
One of the guys said that pool was the only thing that got him through college.

There are roughly 4 million people in America that say this same thing. The actually number is more like 40.:grin:

If I were you, I would throw a post in the wanted/for sale section. It is a great time to buy cues and I am sure you can get a great deal from a fellow AZer. If you care about resale value at all, then a custom sneaky or plain jain would probably be best. All the suggestions have been good and you probably can't go wrong with any of the cues mentioned. No matter what you go with, good luck.

poolplayer2093
05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I'd suggest going with the Mezz. You'll have a good playing cue right off the bat, and you can always experiment with shafts when your finances improve.

yep!...............

paksat
05-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Yes first off you don't have a cue already so you probably don't play at a high level as of now. So there for a 60 dollar sneaky pete that i would play any tourny with is a good place to start when learning and something that is reliable. It doesn't matter what kind of cue you have if you can play you can play don't get caught up in the hype of this cue that cue this shaft that shaft.

I own/use two cues actually. A graphite players I break with, and a players I shoot with.

Sometimes it feels like i'm carrying a twig around tbh on the quality.