PDA

View Full Version : Just A Rumor, But What If??

ne14tennis
05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
If one of the billiard organizations were to outlaw phenolic tips, what would people recommend for break and jump tips?

I suppose hard water buffalo would work.

What about White Diamond? They are a mixture of Phenolic and a fiberous resin so would that pass the test?

I am really interested in the Ice Breaker tips since I read it's a phenolic core covered by leather

HereWeGo
05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
This is what I have switched to on my break/jump cue. I love the combination. The tip is leather so it is legal. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=139566&highlight=gamma

MitchAlsup
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
One can get <layered> water buffalo tips as hard as 99

So if phenolic tips are banned, there are reasonable options.

TX Poolnut
05-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a pretty hard Everest tip that I'd use.

poolplayer2093
05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
If one of the billiard organizations were to outlaw phenolic tips, what would people recommend for break and jump tips?

I suppose hard water buffalo would work.

What about White Diamond? They are a mixture of Phenolic and a fiberous resin so would that pass the test?

I am really interested in the Ice Breaker tips since I read it's a phenolic core covered by leather

since i only play in small tournaments and what not i dont think their banning phenolic tips would effect me so if i did use phenolic tips i don't think i'd bother switching anything.

i used a gilbert with a water buffalo tip and it get the ball up as easy as anything else i can think of. white diamonds are like a magic tip. i don't know what they're made of but they break and jump like phenolic but if you wanted to you could spin the ball a lot with it

mooseman
05-20-2009, 08:39 PM
SuperPro.......

qbilder
05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't understand why anybody uses phenolic. I break just fine with my playing cue. I experimented with them when it was something new but couldn't find any advantage that outweighed the control bennefits of good leather. The break is about precision & control so much more than power, so I might be in the minority but I think practicing your break will do far more to advance your game than a phenolic tip. Just my thoughts

pooltableproCP
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't understand why anybody uses phenolic. I break just fine with my playing cue. I experimented with them when it was something new but couldn't find any advantage that outweighed the control bennefits of good leather. The break is about precision & control so much more than power, so I might be in the minority but I think practicing your break will do far more to advance your game than a phenolic tip. Just my thoughts

I agree with you on the breaking aspect Eric. I think that jumping is where most of the benefit of synthetic tips comes from. Tiger hard, Super Pro and some of the other hard layered tips work pretty well for jumping too.

qbilder
05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with you on the breaking aspect Eric. I think that jumping is where most of the benefit of synthetic tips comes from. Tiger hard, Super Pro and some of the other hard layered tips work pretty well for jumping too.

So does a solid melamine ferrule with a WB tip shaved to thin sidewall thickness. Any tip is ultra hard if thin enough. I do admit, phenolic jumps well. This rule will indeed make lots of people learn to smooth stroke jump. It'll also p!ss off a bunch of builders & buyers.

TheBook
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I can understand them doing this. I used a phenolic tip for a short time and then discovered that it was putting marks (dents) in my CB. Also found out that my break wasn't any better.

They should also prohibit gloves and laminated shafts.

mooseman
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
So does a solid melamine ferrule with a WB tip shaved to thin sidewall thickness. Any tip is ultra hard if thin enough. I do admit, phenolic jumps well. This rule will indeed make lots of people learn to smooth stroke jump. It'll also p!ss off a bunch of builders & buyers.

Tip just needs to have a little meat so you don't crack your ferrule though......:wink::wink::wink:

mooseman
05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I can understand them doing this. I used a phenolic tip for a short time and then discovered that it was putting marks (dents) in my CB. Also found out that my break wasn't any better.

They should also prohibit gloves and laminated shafts.

Before prohibiting gloves they need to ban the powder.........

9ball mike
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I know it may be a technicallity but what about g10?

mikeyfrost
05-20-2009, 10:18 PM
As long as it's within whatever specifications are being followed I'm OK with it. I don't even mind no jumping rules. I will say though that I am a fan of technology, not just in pool but everywhere in life. Everyone likes a nice flat panel TV at home right? So if carbon fiber backed phenolic tips do it for you then go for it. If it's damaging the balls then theres a problem but if not who really cares? I certainly don't want to use the same cues they did 200 years ago. If we put a halt on technology and experimenting with new materials we may limit where the equipment can get to.

I just think whatever you like and are comfortable with will yield the most success for you. I like Predator cues, I own a P3, I think it's a great cue. I also own about 4 other custom cues. No two play anything close to alike. Hell no two of the shafts play anything alike and what I've found out is simple, play with what feels good to you. If you like LD shafts go for it. If you like big 4+ Oz super stiff shafts, go for it.

As long as you play I'm cool.

jnmurray
05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I have a leather tip on my jump break just in case. It is a treated one piece leather tip that lets me get over balls quickly and since it is leather I can draw the rock pretty well with it when I jump. It was put on my Keith Nickerson in Tucson AZ and I would recommend it to anyone. www.nickersoncues.com

BTW, the IPT, when it was running did not allow phenalic (sp) tips.

IntoTheRail
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
SuperPro.......

Hell yeah. I have had more break and runs in the last month since I put on a super pro than I have had all year.

JXMIKE
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
The only people who are against phenolic tips/g-10 etc are old pool players that are stubborn in there ways and dont like change i guarantee most younger players welcome new technology, jump cues force you to play better safes...if we dont welcome change then we will never know what could have been, jumping is a art in itself..almost everyone can jump but not everyone can jump make a ball with control or impart draw, follow and sidedspin.

maybe we should go back to bucket pockets clay balls nappy cloth etc etc etc.

The game is changing for the best dont cut it down.

qbilder
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Tip just needs to have a little meat so you don't crack your ferrule though......:wink::wink::wink:

Ferrules are overrated

JXMIKE
05-20-2009, 11:28 PM
So would they still allow like a super pro tip on top of a phenolic ferrules?

Are they gonna start testing for steroids as well, i know i take roids to break harder.....crazy.