PDA

View Full Version : Who's the most fundamentally sound?

atthecat
05-21-2009, 12:04 AM
Who of these players is the most fundamentally sound? I'm going with
1. Nick Varner
2. Buddy Hall
3. Max Eberle

wolfcookie
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Budy Hall far sure;Ralph Souguet also but has to be the slowest player I have ever seen..It drives me crazy..But then that is why he is that slow to drive his opp. crazy:

JoeyInCali
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Hall, Davenport, Eberle,Orcullo , Hohman and Souquet.

JXMIKE
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
1.Hohmann
2.hall
3.souquet
4.varner
5.eberle.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
TO ME THERE IS NO QUESTION........ Souguet

LAlouie
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
My guess is any player from Taiwan or any snooker player or 3c player. Of course, that doesn't address your poll, but just sayin'.

SupaFoo
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I went with Hohmann over Souquet by a narrow margin - they're both ROCK solid.

The Saw
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Buddy does everything "right"! Stroke, mechanics, cueball control, and especially position play. I don't think Buddy has ever been on the "wrong side" of a ball in his life.....

stormshadow1
05-21-2009, 01:32 PM
1.Nick Varner(World titles in multiple games)
2.Buddy Hall (legend enough said)
3.Ralf Souquet
4.Thorsten Hohmann

rementis
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I've never seen better mechanics.

You have to watch him in events with a shot-clock though. :)

Blackjack
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Jeff Carter is the most fundamentally sound player I have ever seen.

adam boyd
05-21-2009, 01:49 PM
From this list both german players but #1 overall IMO is jim rempe.

adam boyd
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Buddy does everything "right"! Stroke, mechanics, cueball control, and especially position play. I don't think Buddy has ever been on the "wrong side" of a ball in his life.....

that is true but that isn't fundamentals.

adam boyd
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
By the way the player in the lead on this poll took lessons from jim rempe.:thumbup:

LAlouie
05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
By the way the player in the lead on this poll took lessons from jim rempe.:thumbup:

Souquet may have gotten lessons from Rempe but he wasn't TRAINED IN FUNDAMENTALS by Rempe, was he.

axejunkie
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
The Ether

:thumbup:

adam boyd
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Souquet may have gotten lessons from Rempe but he wasn't TRAINED IN FUNDAMENTALS by Rempe, was he.

Some of them he works on fundys before anything else from what I was told by players who have gone to him. And it was years ago that he went to jims for lessons.

sjm
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm going to give the nod, just barely, to Buddy Hall over Ralf Souquet, but it's almost too close to call.

CreeDo
05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Glad toasti was included, his fundamentals are sick. One of the things that especially impresses me is his jump fundamentals. Love it or hate it, when a guy can jump in balls that a lot of us miss shooting normally... there's some seriously rock solid fundamentals behind that. I think if any player could run out a few times in a row with his eyes closed, it's him.

It's a pretty tough though to say whose are absolutely the best. Between the top 5 or 10, any flaws in the stroke are so small it's hard to say who should be ranked on top. I'm not even sure we all agree on what perfect fundamentals are. One guy might say elbow drop is a sign of bad fundamentals and another might say it's totally normal.

Toasti, ralf, buddy are probably top 3.

Honorable mention: niels feijen has a very mechanical, precise stroke with a distinct pause at the backswing. It doesn't look as smooth as some but I think it is the most 'textbook'. Trained by BK, but don't hold it against him lol :P

CrownCityCorey
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
1. Nick Varner
2. Buddy Hall
3. Max Eberle

These people must not have seen Max. LOL!

Max and Toastie.

JXMIKE
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Thorsten hohmann has the best fundamentals PERIOD.

in fact he still goes to see his instructor michael wahl every year in germany to stay up on his fundamentals....that is dedication!.

JimS
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I just spoke with an "seasoned" player and when best fundamentals was mentioned he, without hesitation, said that Dallas West had the best he's seen.

macneilb
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM

then what was he trained in exactly smartie?? i'm guessing it was probably a little bit of everything. But then again, I'm just guessing ;)

macneilb
05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I just spoke with an "seasoned" player and when best fundamentals was mentioned he, without hesitation, said that Dallas West had the best he's seen.

dallas west has one the all time best strokes IMO...very old school and rock solid.

Bandanna Joe
05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Jeff Carter is the most fundamentally sound player I have ever seen.

+2 Agree. I watched Jeff in person for hours & hours. Jeff has always been focused on sound fundamentals as well as the mental aspects of the game. Max is interesting as he has a similiar mental approach from what I read.

The older crowd forgets that Jeff Carter was ranked in the top 10. If I recall correctly he was ranked as high as #3 or #7 back in the day. The younger crowed doesn't know who he is.

IMHO, All of the guys in the poll are great. Each of their styles and fundamentals suit the characteristics of their build.

JAW725
05-22-2009, 12:34 AM
These people must not have seen Max. LOL!

Max and Toastie.

I voted for Ralph but I agree that Max Eberle has great fundamentals. Overall a very good list.

jay helfert
05-22-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm going to give the nod, just barely, to Buddy Hall over Ralf Souquet, but it's almost too close to call.

Good assessment. Both these players were fundamentally sound in all aspects of the game. No wonder they have the best records of their respective generations. If I had to pick between the two in their primes, I would be forced to take Buddy. He had absolutely no quit and no dog in him. Of course, I could say the same thing about Ralf. Something about Buddy wore down his strongest opponents. They were (are) both methodical players. That never bothered me since they were always looking to execute the right shot in the proper manner. Sigel was the only guy I ever saw who seemed to have Buddy's number. Especially in the finals, don't know why.

atthecat
05-23-2009, 09:12 PM
bump..............

Ste
05-24-2009, 12:44 AM
1. Nick Varner
2. Buddy Hall
3. Max Eberle

Sorry but its definitely Souquet and Hohmann in my book.

Ralph is absolutely METICULOUS in his preparation for a game and his approach in playing it (irrelevant of who his opponent is). During the game his, sighting, table approach, aiming technique, bridge, stroke and follow-through is mechanical and repetitive.

Taking it a step further... the guy has his diet mapped out too.
Very very sound.

ribdoner
05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
None of those in the poll. KIM DAVENPORT had/has it goin on w/regards to fundlementals (imo)