PDA

View Full Version : Help asap!

chin0
05-21-2009, 01:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what joint I have on my schmelke. I always thought it was a 3/8 10 joint, and the owner of the billiard supply store said schmelke doesn't offer a 3/8 10 joint, only McDermott does. It is joint option #4 on the schmelke website:

http://www.schmelkecue.com/requirements.php?osCsid=5rhqqsjedjcf6hl69lg6q2puk3

it says 3/8 so I always assumed it was 3/8 10 joint. Maybe I am the idiot, because I thought when the store clerk told me that schmelke doesn't offer a 3/8 10, that he was an idiot. Thanks a bunch guys.

Hope it is a 3/8 10 because I just traded a case and money for a 3/8 10 OB2 lol :o

P.S. I never knew how to figure out joints and how to tell the threads and etc on the joint. Like the difference between a 5/16 18, 5/16 14, 3/8 10, radial pin etc, how do you tell and measure to know exactly what you have?
Chino

J&D CUSTOMS
05-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Looks like a 3/8-11 bull nose pin to me. Same thread a Southwest cue has. Just different nose.
That's my guess...... To measure, you take how many threads there are in 1 inch. Use a ruler and count em is the easiest way, in general terms.

manwon
05-21-2009, 02:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what joint I have on my schmelke. I always thought it was a 3/8 10 joint, and the owner of the billiard supply store said schmelke doesn't offer a 3/8 10 joint, only McDermott does. It is joint option #4 on the schmelke website:

it says 3/8 so I always assumed it was 3/8 10 joint. Maybe I am the idiot, because I thought when the store clerk told me that schmelke doesn't offer a 3/8 10, that he was an idiot. Thanks a bunch guys.

Hope it is a 3/8 10 because I just traded a case and money for a 3/8 10 OB2 lol :o

P.S. I never knew how to figure out joints and how to tell the threads and etc on the joint. Like the difference between a 5/16 18, 5/16 14, 3/8 10, radial pin etc, how do you tell and measure to know exactly what you have?
Chino

Chino, I do not think you have any problem at all. I am almost certain that the pictured photo is 3/8-10, because Schmelke only sells Radial and 3/8-10 to cue makers in the cue maker supply section. When you get the shaft just screw it together slowly do not force anything, if it go's to together without force you have no problem. If on the outside chance it doesn't want to screw together and it is a different thread size /type it can be easily be re-tapped to fit your cues pin.

If I were you I would not sweet it, I do not think you made a mistake, if however you did, send me the shaft and I will fix it for you for the cost of postage.

Take Care

HollyWood
05-21-2009, 06:34 AM
You purchased a 3/8-10 flatface shaft ob-2, your schmelke is a unilock shaft- correct no work. Trade or something- Koinnkid- he'll help out. mark

Patrick Johnson
05-21-2009, 06:40 AM
I never knew how to ... tell the threads and etc on the joint. Like the difference between a 5/16 18, 5/16 14, 3/8 10, radial pin etc, how do you tell and measure to know exactly what you have?
Chino

The first number ("3/8") is the diameter (width) of the pin in inches.

The second number ("10") is the number of threads per inch.

Measure and count. Simple.

pj
chgo

rackem
05-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Chino
No wonder you are confused. It appears as though Schmelke is also confused. It looks to me like they have the 3/8 pins mislabeled on their site.
Option #4 looks to be the 3/8X10.
Option #7 appears to be the 3/8 radial thread. Less threads per inch.
I could be wrong guys, but scroll down under the wraps and take a look.

BTLS
05-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I also think it is a 3/8x11 thread.

Look at number 7 on the options.
It actually says 10 tpi (threads per inch) in the description, number 3 does not say that.
Plus the threads on number 3 appear to be closer than on a 3/8x10.

BTLS
05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
In the cuemaker supplies section they sell 2 kinds of 3/8 pins.

They are 3/8x10 and 3/8x7.5.

http://www.schmelkecue.com/index.php?cPath=5_53_56&osCsid=5rhqqsjedjcf6hl69lg6q2puk3

The top 3 on the page are 3/8 pins.

rackem
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
------------------------------------------------------

Maniac
05-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I bet chin0 is more confused than he was before he posted here :eek:. At least if he's in trouble with the OB shaft, manwon has "stepped up" and offered to fix it for him!!!

Maniac

Maniac
05-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Chin0,

Do you know of a machine shop in your area? If so, call them up, ask if one of the machinists has a thread gauge. If he does, ask if he will measure the thread pitch for you. Explain the situation. This will take the machinist less time than this post took me to write (and I type quickly). Hand him a fiver and make a new friend.

Dave

Lowe's and Home Depot has a system for measuring threads, and it won't cost him a cent.

Maniac

joeboxer
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Chino

If you ordered option #4, then you have a 3/8-10. Dont sweat it.

chin0
05-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Chino, I do not think you have any problem at all. I am almost certain that the pictured photo is 3/8-10, because Schmelke only sells Radial and 3/8-10 to cue makers in the cue maker supply section. When you get the shaft just screw it together slowly do not force anything, if it go's to together without force you have no problem. If on the outside chance it doesn't want to screw together and it is a different thread size /type it can be easily be re-tapped to fit your cues pin.

If I were you I would not sweet it, I do not think you made a mistake, if however you did, send me the shaft and I will fix it for you for the cost of postage.

Take Care

Thanks manwon. Thank you so much for your generous offer. If it happens to not be the correct pin, I'll PM you and work something out. Thanks!

You purchased a 3/8-10 flatface shaft ob-2, your schmelke is a unilock shaft- correct no work. Trade or something- Koinnkid- he'll help out. mark

Unilock????? Holy crap, I swear I said joint option 4. Got your PM thanks!

The first number ("3/8") is the diameter (width) of the pin in inches.

The second number ("10") is the number of threads per inch.

Measure and count. Simple.

pj
chgo

PJ, thanks for the tip, still raiding chatrooms my friend? :D

Looks like a 3/8-11 bull nose pin to me. Same thread a Southwest cue has. Just different nose.
That's my guess...... To measure, you take how many threads there are in 1 inch. Use a ruler and count em is the easiest way, in general terms.

Thanks for the quick response. I am really hoping it isn't lol :)

No wonder you are confused. It appears as though Schmelke is also confused. It looks to me like they have the 3/8 pins mislabeled on their site.
Option #4 looks to be the 3/8X10.
Option #7 appears to be the 3/8 radial thread. Less threads per inch.
I could be wrong guys, but scroll down under the wraps and take a look.

They are pretty confused. I looked on billiardwarehouse.com it says something crazy like 3/4 10 :eek:

I also think it is a 3/8x11 thread.

Look at number 7 on the options.
It actually says 10 tpi (threads per inch) in the description, number 3 does not say that.
Plus the threads on number 3 appear to be closer than on a 3/8x10.

I always thought the same thing, but it just doesn't look like a regular 3/8 10 joint

I bet chin0 is more confused than he was before he posted here :eek:. At least if he's in trouble with the OB shaft, manwon has "stepped up" and offered to fix it for him!!!

Maniac

Manwon to the rescue once more. I gotta find a way to repay manwon.

Chin0,

Do you know of a machine shop in your area? If so, call them up, ask if one of the machinists has a thread gauge. If he does, ask if he will measure the thread pitch for you. Explain the situation. This will take the machinist less time than this post took me to write (and I type quickly). Hand him a fiver and make a new friend.

Dave

Great idea!

Lowe's and Home Depot has a system for measuring threads, and it won't cost him a cent.

Maniac

Even better idea :)

Thanks again everyone!

Happy shooting! :)

Chino

chin0
05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
If you ordered option #4, then you have a 3/8-10. Dont sweat it.

Thanks buddy for the confirmation. :thumbup:

Eric.
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Someone mentioned Home Depot or Lowes. Typically, you would use a gauge to measure the thread pitch (a gauge looks like a serrated edge knife blade) or... go to HD and try out assorted nuts to gently screw on your pin, til you find one that fits.

*edit- make sure the nut bin is labeled :-)

Eric

chin0
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Eric, how's everything going buddy? Hope to see you back in KC soon!

rackem
05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Someone mentioned Home Depot or Lowes. Typically, you would use a gauge to measure the thread pitch (a gauge looks like a serrated edge knife blade) or... go to HD and try out assorted nuts to gently screw on your pin, til you find one that fits.

*edit- make sure the nut bin is labeled :-)

Eric
I think you may be hard pressed to find a radial thread nut at Home Depot.
Except for the Guy looking for one.:grin:

Chino, just post a good picture of the pin and we will tell you what it is.
Radial threads have a slope or curve to the profile.
3/8X10 thread has a much sharper or pointier profile.
You should be able to see the difference if you look at the joint options.
But remember they have #4 & #7 options labeled backwards.

pwd72s
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
thread pitch gauges are available at any Fastenal or other fastener (sells nuts and bolts) store. I use mine more for automotive work than cue joint measurements. (edit) Take your cue into any such store, and a good behind the counter guy could probably tell you the size just by looking...they get good after some time of selling fasteners...