PDA

View Full Version : My Gambling Days Are Over

Johnnyt
05-21-2009, 09:46 AM
A buddy of mine that lives about 25 miles North of me call and said he had a guy at his house that wanted to play $100 a game of 8-ball on his Bar Box. He said the guy owned racehorses or he owned a farm that raised racehorses. I’m very hard of hearing so I’m not sure where the hell he gets his money. He said he couldn’t play the guy for that kind of money but I could. I thought that was kind of weird, as I’m not that much better than him on a bar box, and I damn sure haven’t played for $100 a game many time in my lifetime.

Anyhow I jump in my car and hit the ATM on the way for $600. I figured he would start off for $50 a game. If he were better than me I’d give him $300, kick my buddy in the ass and head home $300 poorer.

When I got there I flashed about $800 so the guy could see I had money. We started for fifty a game and went to $100 a game after I won 4 out of 5 for $50. My heart was beating too fast and very irregular already. I almost gave the guy his money back and quit right then. But after sitting down for a few minutes it settled back in regular rhythm. We played for about two and a half hours more, with me up by $1300+ change. He paid and left after cursing my friend out for setting him up. I threw $350 on the table for my friend and headed home. On the way home I decided my gambling days on the pool table are over. Living is more important to me these days. A few times playing for $100 a game and shooting a tuff game-ball shot, I thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest. That’s it for me. Maybe $5 or $10 a game or $50 sets, but no more of that $100 $hit for me.

On a side note, on the way home I stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I had brought my cue in because I didn’t want to leave it in the car and I always forget it for days if I put it in the trunk. Anyhow, this guy in his late teens or early 20’s comes over and asks me if I’m that famous pool player from NY. I had no idea who he thought I was, but I signed the back of my check “Great breakfast Ben” “New York JohnnyT”. I do hope he paid my bill…I did leave a five for the waitress. Johnnyt

Black-Balled
05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
That adrenaline might be scaring you now, but you will soon be craving another dose!

That's how the suck you in, bastards!

Big Perm
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Another classic story Johnny....way to take down the cash.....

TheNewSharkster
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the story. I enjoyed it :-)

Richardson
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice story, and nice jelly for your friend :)

kvinbrwr
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Great post, another great story from you.

I don't know if you ever heard of Dr. Maxwell Maltz, he wrote a book called "Psycho-Cybernetics" where he explained it takes 21 days of practice to change habitual behavior. It looks like you got your first day of $100-a-set-heart-race habit out of the way, only 20 days to go and you'll be in the clear for big action. Who are you going to play today (not me my heart can't take it)?

Kevin

jay helfert
05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
A buddy of mine that lives about 25 miles North of me call and said he had a guy at his house that wanted to play $100 a game of 8-ball on his Bar Box. He said the guy owned racehorses or he owned a farm that raised racehorses. I’m very hard of hearing so I’m not sure where the hell he gets his money. He said he couldn’t play the guy for that kind of money but I could. I thought that was kind of weird, as I’m not that much better than him on a bar box, and I damn sure haven’t played for $100 a game many time in my lifetime.

Anyhow I jump in my car and hit the ATM on the way for $600. I figured he would start off for $50 a game. If he were better than me I’d give him $300, kick my buddy in the ass and head home $300 poorer.

When I got there I flashed about $800 so the guy could see I had money. We started for fifty a game and went to $100 a game after I won 4 out of 5 for $50. My heart was beating too fast and very irregular already. I almost gave the guy his money back and quit right then. But after sitting down for a few minutes it settled back in regular rhythm. We played for about two and a half hours more, with me up by $1300+ change. He paid and left after cursing my friend out for setting him up. I threw $350 on the table for my friend and headed home. On the way home I decided my gambling days on the pool table are over. Living is more important to me these days. A few times playing for $100 a game and shooting a tuff game-ball shot, I thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest. That’s it for me. Maybe $5 or $10 a game or $50 sets, but no more of that $100 $hit for me.

On a side note, on the way home I stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I had brought my cue in because I didn’t want to leave it in the car and I always forget it for days if I put it in the trunk. Anyhow, this guy in his late teens or early 20’s comes over and asks me if I’m that famous pool player from NY. I had no idea who he thought I was, but I signed the back of my check “Great breakfast Ben” “New York JohnnyT”. I do hope he paid my bill…I did leave a five for the waitress. Johnnyt

Nice little score Johnny. Visit a doctor and find out what is going on with your heart. Maybe there is some medication that will help you. I still like playing with a little wager on the game too. Scott Smith hustled me to play last week. Only 30 a game but still action. The only stress I felt was having to come with it a few times for the cheese. I'm used to that. :)

If I felt like my heart wouldn't take it, I wouldn't play either. Get it checked out buddy. Do you take a small aspirin every day? I do, 81 mg. You can get them at any drug store.

dirtypool40
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I had no idea who he thought I was, but I signed the back of my check “Great breakfast Ben” “New York JohnnyT”. I do hope he paid my bill…I did leave a five for the waitress. Johnnyt

That's AWESOME!! LMAO

A nice capper.

kvinbrwr
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Nice little score Johnny. Visit a doctor and find out what is going on with your heart. Maybe there is some medication that will help you. I still like playing with a little wager on the game too. The only stress I ever felt was having to come with it a few times for the cheese. I'm used to that. :)

If I felt like my heart wouldn't take it, I wouldn't play either. Get it checked out buddy. Do you take a small aspirin every day? I do, 81 mg. You can get them at any drug store.

Forget that aspirin, go direct to Beta Blockers. It was rumored forever that all the PGA Tour Pros used them exactly for this purpose.

Kevin

jay helfert
05-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Forget that aspirin, go direct to Beta Blockers. It was rumored forever that all the PGA Tour Pros used them exactly for this purpose.

Kevin

What's beta blockers?

adam boyd
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
What's beta blockers?

I think its high blood pressure meds.:eek:

kvinbrwr
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
What's beta blockers?

They get prescribed to stoke and heart patients quite frequently. They block the receptors in your body that trigger that stimulus-response heart race thingy. They keep you cool under pressure. Mac O'Grady, a slightly crazy guy (for a tour player) made the claim some years ago when Beta Blockers first came out, that many the top PGA Tour Players were using them in competition.

Anyway, Johhny could take them and instead of heart racing and feeling weird, he could be all budda-like and calm doing his money mantra.

Kevin

Big Perm
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
What's beta blockers?

Those crappy sunglasses they sell at 4am on informercials???

:D

KoolKat9Lives
05-21-2009, 10:28 AM
How do you get beta blockers if you don't have a heart problem? And why would anyone want that in your medical database? I imagine the med insurance biz would triple your premiums if you otherwise had a healthy database (but don't get me started on the medical field wrt premiums and risk assessment).

tigerseye
05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
How do you get beta blockers if you don't have a heart problem? And why would anyone want that in your medical database? I imagine the med insurance biz would triple your premiums if you otherwise had a healthy database (but don't get me started on the medical field wrt premiums and risk assessment).

It's probably cheaper than those 12 beers i have to drink so i can pull the trigger on a shot....=)):thumbup:

14-1StraightMan
05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Great story. I was laughing the whole time that I was reading it. I know what you mean and it isn't worth it. I am not one for gambling but take it down to 5 or 10 a match and you will be fine.
Let all those other guys gamble big time b/c if they do not win. They don't eat.

kvinbrwr
05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
It's probably cheaper than those 12 beers i have to drink so i can pull the trigger on a shot....=)):thumbup:

That's so funny

but true

and the Blockers have far less deleterious effect on your game.

Kevin

Johnnyt
05-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice little score Johnny. Visit a doctor and find out what is going on with your heart. Maybe there is some medication that will help you. I still like playing with a little wager on the game too. Scott Smith hustled me to play last week. Only 30 a game but still action. The only stress I felt was having to come with it a few times for the cheese. I'm used to that. :)

Yes, I take a baby asprin a day since weaning off the Coumadin (blood thinner). I swore I wouldn't go back to a doctor when I quit drinking, smoking, and chasing women (I haven't caught one in a long, long time, so it's not that.) I'll try going back to softer action and smaller bets. If I'm OK with that I'll not play for anymore. Johnnyt

PROG8R
05-21-2009, 11:01 AM
That's so funny

but true

and the Blockers have far less deleterious effect on your game.

Kevin

Great, now I have to find a dictionary... :confused:

PROG8R
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I got it:

deleterious
One entry found.

Main Entry:
del·e·te·ri·ous Listen to the pronunciation of deleterious
Pronunciation:
\ˌde-lə-ˈtir-ē-əs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek dēlētērios, from dēleisthai to hurt
Date:

: harmful often in a subtle or unexpected way <deleterious effects> <deleterious to health>

Eric.
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Johnny! You can't quit? What about all those people to fleece like:

The meter maid

Garbage man

real Estate salesman

Senior Citizen bus driver

and, don't forget the...

Ice cream man! (that guy got A LOT of my money over the years)

Eric >:wink:

Klink
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I was playing an older guy once, and the more I won the whiter he was turning. I thought he was getting mad. Turned out he was having a minor heart attack. They called the ambulance who promptly took him to the hospital. I have never felt so bad in my life.

Johnny I hope you go to the doctor and have that heart checked out. It may be nothing or something easily taken care of.

bamadog
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
That adrenaline might be scaring you now, but you will soon be craving another dose!

That's how the suck you in, bastards!

When a reporter asked Karl Wallenda, the famous trapeze artist, why he continued to work without a net after so many family members had been killed in falls, he said, 'because being up there is life, and everything else is just waiting'.

You'll be back.

Meezer Girl
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Glad you were able to calm yourself down. Look at it this way - you are only gambling with your accumulated winnings & not risking any of your own money so no need to become too anxious ;)

The "autograph" was priceless - LMAO:thumbup:

JoseV
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
That felling that came over you is just letting you know your alive and kicking. The most importaint thing is that you over came it assed the situation and took control.

Just like someone said your going be wanting to look for more bloold like that.

btoneill
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I was playing an older guy once, and the more I won the whiter he was turning. I thought he was getting mad. Turned out he was having a minor heart attack. They called the ambulance who promptly took him to the hospital. I have never felt so bad in my life.

Those were just his friends in costume, he was air barrelling you all night!

Brian

pwd72s
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
When a reporter asked Karl Wallenda, the famous trapeze artist, why he continued to work without a net after so many family members had been killed in falls, he said, 'because being up there is life, and everything else is just waiting'.

You'll be back.

Really? That line was also used in the movie "Lemans" by Steve McQueen.
Substitute "Racing" for "being up there"...but the exact same line.

bigshooter
05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
What's beta blockers?

A beta blocker keeps your heart rate down and suppresses the adrenaline, many classical musicians use them for performance anxiety, they will keep your body calm without clouding your mind.

I was on a beta blocker for awhile for blood pressure, it makes you calm that's for sure but I would not recommend if unless you medically need it.

stormshadow1
05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Nice win JT!!I have never heard of beta blockers for calming the pressure.Sounds interesting.Very cool you hooked up some nice jelly for your friend for the action.Sweet victory!!:thumbup:

bamadog
05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Really? That line was also used in the movie "Lemans" by Steve McQueen.
Substitute "Racing" for "being up there"...but the exact same line.
From the Flying Wallenda's website:
"It was during a promotional walk in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in March, 1978, that the patriarch of the Great Wallendas fell to his death at age 73. Not because of his age or capabilities, not because of the wind, but because of several misconnected guy ropes along the wire. Karl once said, "Life is being on the wire, everything else is just waiting." The Wallenda legacy lives on to the sixth and seventh generations through Karl's grandchildren and great-grandchildren."

stick8
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
What's beta blockers?

no-no-, what i hear is it want letBADBOB stick his head up, if you get my drift!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Tommy-D
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
> Another use for beta-blockers is for politicians,they use them to chemically eliminate stage fright before a press conference.

I've also been told that certain prominent surgeons take them before operating,it eliminates those little imperceptible hand tremors.

If you're going to ask a physician for them,ask for Inderal LA,for long acting,or Inderal FA,for fast acting. Tommy D.

ShootingRazbone
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Great! Thats what this game needs.... More pills to make you better then you really are! We got enough of that allready don't we?

juegabillar
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
From the Flying Wallenda's website:
"It was during a promotional walk in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in March, 1978, that the patriarch of the Great Wallendas fell to his death at age 73. Not because of his age or capabilities, not because of the wind, but because of several misconnected guy ropes along the wire. Karl once said, "Life is being on the wire, everything else is just waiting." The Wallenda legacy lives on to the sixth and seventh generations through Karl's grandchildren and great-grandchildren."

This info is not true. See this TIME magazine article:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,919500-2,00.html

Excerpt:

"The wind is my worst enemy," Wallenda once said of his outdoor performances. Last week, as he prepared to walk a wire strung 300 ft. between two beachfront hotels in San Juan, P.R., he was warned that the winds blowing in off the sea were tricky. There was a steady breeze of 12 m.p.h., but with gusts up to 23 m.p.h.

"Don't worry about it," said Karl as he checked the wire at the tenth-floor window, some 100 ft. above the sidewalk. "The wind is stronger on the street than up here."

Karl Wallenda was 73 by now, but still strong, hard-muscled, his eyes a bright blue, his gray hair tufted around his ears. He had said he would make the walk, and so he would. There were 200 people watching. Among them was his granddaughter Rietta, 17, the only relative then performing in his act.

Wallenda had no sooner started than a gust of wind made the cable vibrate. Wallenda stopped, steadied himself. A hush fell over the crowd.

He started again, crossed a little more than halfway. The cable began to sway. Wallenda leaned forward to keep his balance. One young member of his troupe, waiting on the roof at the far end of the wire, warned him to crouch down for better balance.

"Sit down, Poppy, sit down!" the youth cried.

Wallenda started to crouch. A gust of wind suddenly jarred him. Then, as the horrified crowd watched, he started to fall, very slowly at first. He reached out for the cable with one hand, but he was still holding the balancing bar and could not get a grip on the cable. Down he went, still holding onto the pole. Ten stories below, he landed on the roof of a taxi and bounced off onto the sidewalk. At the hospital, he was pronounced dead of massive internal injuries.

This is the video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/66324/rope_walking_accident/

bamadog
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=juegabillar;1832611]This info is not true.

QUOTE]
Was the quote, attributed to Karl, accurate?
That's all that's relevant here.

juegabillar
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=juegabillar;1832611]This info is not true.

QUOTE]
Was the quote, attributed to Karl, accurate?
That's all that's relevant here.

The quote seems accurate but not this info:

..Not because of his age or capabilities, not because of the wind, but because of several misconnected guy ropes along the wire.

ShootingArts
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
The doc's had me on a beta blocker for years because of blood pressure. For those on them for that reason, the latest medical view is that they aren't effective anyway.

However, the beta blockers stunk for competition. I didn't get overly excited it's true but I also didn't get up that little bit that is needed to perform my best. I found something that worked with a different mechanism and quit taking the beta blockers. Been a happy camper since then.

For those wanting to play with beta blockers, they jack with chemicals in your brain if I remember correctly. Get on them too fast or off of them too fast and it can kill you.

I think I have half a bottle left. Should I go with an auction or a raffle? :D :D :D

By the way Johnny, way to go! Somehow I suspect your friend was getting jelly either way the match-up had turned out.

Hu

jay helfert
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
A beta blocker keeps your heart rate down and suppresses the adrenaline, many classical musicians use them for performance anxiety, they will keep your body calm without clouding your mind.

I was on a beta blocker for awhile for blood pressure, it makes you calm that's for sure but I would not recommend if unless you medically need it.

Every drug has side effects. Wonder what they are for Beta Blockers?

Tom In Cincy
05-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Common side effects:

* Drowsiness or fatigue.
* Cold hands and feet.
* Weakness or dizziness.
* Dry mouth, eyes, and skin.

Less common side effects:

* Wheezing, trouble breathing, or shortness of breath.
* Slow heartbeat.
* Trouble sleeping or vivid dreams while asleep.
* Swelling of the hands and feet.

Rare side effects:

* Abdominal cramps.
* Throwing up.
* Diarrhea.
* Constipation.
* Back or joint pain.
* Skin rash.
* Sore throat.
* Depression.
* Memory loss, confusion, or hallucinations.
* Impotence.

Johnnyt
05-21-2009, 05:15 PM

I was on it. Needs to be monitored. Blood pressure can bottom out. Bad for sex in males and a lot of other nasty side-efects. I would rather go with a glass or two of wine and a joint than that. Johnnyt

ShootingArts
05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I was on it. Needs to be monitored. Blood pressure can bottom out. Bad for sex in males and a lot of other nasty side-efects. I would rather go with a glass or two of wine and a joint than that. Johnnyt

My BP numbers got down to low 60's over low 40's, then my digital cuff decided one of us was dead and wouldn't play anymore, just gave error messages.

Hu

Black-Balled
05-22-2009, 06:06 AM

Shiat, man! You just opened a whole new world of potential victims...the vinter, the aborist...drug smuggler.

You gonna win BIG now. Throw another couple of zeros on the bet and play longer races...to three!

cardiac kid
05-22-2009, 07:24 AM
johnnyt,

For years I knew if I took medicine for my ADD my game would improve immensely. Never did. Was it the med's or me playing better. Practicing and competing many hours each week, my game jumped. Even after my mentor Pat Howey moved away, my game continued to improve. Never put two and two together till I read this thread. Three years ago, my MD put me on blood pressure medicine. There was a reason my screen name is "cardiac kid":yikes:. I earned every letter of it!

Lyn

JoeyA
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM

Is this a portion of one of your books?

BTW: How about telling us the titles to your books that you have written and where they can be purchased?

JoeyA

swrooster
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

The pros have the marks begging for the action. JohnnyT, you are the greatest. I can see it now, we will soon have a link on here for people to sign up to be next in line to give JohnnyT the "Big One". I want concessions from the t shirt sales. Keep on posting. :thumbup:
Not sure but I heard that JohnnyT was a consultant to Newman and Redford in "The Sting"

Nostroke
05-22-2009, 08:27 AM

I pretty much had the same symptoms when i was sports betting. I always felt it took 10 years off my life minimum. I once had *Old Dominion getting 11 points- they trailed by 2 most of the last 1/2 but they made a hero shot to tie it up. It went into OT where OD lost by 13!

*it might have been the other way, OD may have been giving 11. Whichever way it was, i had the loser and i was sick for a week at least!

kvinbrwr
05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I got it:

deleterious
One entry found.

Main Entry:
del·e·te·ri·ous Listen to the pronunciation of deleterious
Pronunciation:
\ˌde-lə-ˈtir-ē-əs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek dēlētērios, from dēleisthai to hurt
Date:

: harmful often in a subtle or unexpected way <deleterious effects> <deleterious to health>

Now use that word for a while and soon your friends at the pool hall will praise your perspicacity.

Thanks for the chuckle

Kevin

whitewolf
05-22-2009, 09:36 AM

I don't have a heart problem, maybe a little high blood pressure, but that's it. I asked my doctor for something that would calm me down in pool matches :grin: and he prescribed me some beta blockers.

I used to have to drink about 4 beers just to ge calm and since I quit drinking my nerves sometimes get to me before and at the first of the match, not during the middle and ending. As we all know, you can be history fast if you are a basket case at the first of a short race.

If I have been practicing a lot I don't need the things anymore. But I can tell you that you get as calm as a sunny day in the Bahamas and nothing, I repeat nothing, will get you excited physically, so your mind can do its work with nothing dragging it down. For me there were ZERO side effects. I just plopped one down once a week, which is about all that I played competively.

PS It's nice to have a doctor who will prescribe you anything within reason. To be this is the best drug ever, but I cannot vouch for some serious usage.

SpiderWebComm
05-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Swallow a beta-blocker 1hr before your action and call me in the morning. Proprananol (sp?) is the mac.