PDA

View Full Version : Talisman Jump Tip?

suprnva
05-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Due to the new ban by BCA on phenolic tips I've been trying to find a leather tip to switch to on my jump/break cue. I was looking on Mueller's site for hardness ratings and I came across the Talisman Jump Tip. It has a pretty high hardness rating (98.3) and I was wondering if anyone out there has tried these at all. Are they leather? How well do they work for jumping and breaking? Jumping in my main concern as I can break just as hard with anything I've found (I used to break with an Elk Master even). Any input would be great. Thanks!

Big-Tattoo
05-22-2009, 07:49 AM
It works fine with me and it is Leather too:eek::clapping::yeah:
Ralf:thumbup:

McChen
05-22-2009, 08:20 AM
i tried one and wasn't too impressed, it wasn't that hard. it is all leather. i thought the leather tiger j/b tip was better. check out the samsara and gamma j/b tips if you are looking for a leather j/b tip. i haven't tried them yet, but hear they are great. another option is to make your own, which is what i've been doing. get a WB tip (the blacks are harder than the natural, but both work good), sand the coating off the top and bottom and soak in mineral spirits for a few days. then press in a vise for another couple days, tighten as much as you can and keep tightening every 12 hours or so. the tip will come out damn near as hard as phenolic, but will control the cueball really well and hold chalk. install the tip fairly thin, but not too thin (could damage the ferrule). after making these tips, i no longer use phenolic for either breaking or jumping. and they are cheap to make!

Grumpy
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
We have been using a milk dud type tip that is over 100 on the hardness tester and it works great plus it holds chalk.

JimS
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I use Talisman Xhard tips on my j/b cue and have for many years.

Paul Mon
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Due to the new ban by BCA on phenolic tips I've been trying to find a leather tip to switch to on my jump/break cue. I was looking on Mueller's site for hardness ratings and I came across the Talisman Jump Tip. It has a pretty high hardness rating (98.3) and I was wondering if anyone out there has tried these at all. Are they leather? How well do they work for jumping and breaking? Jumping in my main concern as I can break just as hard with anything I've found (I used to break with an Elk Master even). Any input would be great. Thanks!

I use two different shafts on my break cue. One has a phenolic tip the other a Talisman break tip. I've had the Talisman on my break cue for quite a while (5 years maybe). It's very durable, holds chalk well and is extremely hard. For breaking I actually like it better than phenolic. BTW, I have a a few cue balls that have been damaged, small cracks shaped like this ). I know for a fact that it was from breaking with the phenolic tip.

suprnva
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
another option is to make your own, which is what i've been doing. get a WB tip (the blacks are harder than the natural, but both work good), sand the coating off the top and bottom and soak in mineral spirits for a few days. then press in a vise for another couple days, tighten as much as you can and keep tightening every 12 hours or so. the tip will come out damn near as hard as phenolic, but will control the cueball really well and hold chalk. install the tip fairly thin, but not too thin (could damage the ferrule). after making these tips, i no longer use phenolic for either breaking or jumping. and they are cheap to make!

I think I'm gonna try this out. Thanks for the idea!

McChen
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
no problem, let me know if you have any questions! i really love these tips for breaking and jumping, no more phenolic for me!

suprnva
05-22-2009, 02:15 PM
no problem, let me know if you have any questions! i really love these tips for breaking and jumping, no more phenolic for me!

Check your PMs!

Robroy
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
The Frog and Tadpole come with 2 shafts one tip has a leather the other is phenolic. The leather tip jumps just not as well as the other.
Both shafts do have tips on them. They are not a combo; tip and ferrule.
I'm working on finding a hard tip I remember before I used a hard flat tip, you won't be jumping as close but they will still work great.

Bunji came out with the phenolic tip and it beat out the Tadpole way back when. I brought in 2 shafts because I wasn't sold on the phenolic tip. When I tried both the phenolic, it of course beat the leather hands down. But I kept the 2nd shaft to use for short shots (something in the way you could use it as a short stick). Then they came out with the tip and ferrule combo phenolic, that beat out the phenolic.

I just need to stay up on the changes, thankfully I only need a hard tip I will keep you posted if I find one.
Until then; Keep Jumpin'

Robin

Paul Mon
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
The Frog and Tadpole come with 2 shafts one tip has a leather the other is phenolic. The leather tip jumps just not as well as the other.
Both shafts do have tips on them. They are not a combo; tip and ferrule.
I'm working on finding a hard tip I remember before I used a hard flat tip, you won't be jumping as close but they will still work great.

Bunji came out with the phenolic tip and it beat out the Tadpole way back when. I brought in 2 shafts because I wasn't sold on the phenolic tip. When I tried both the phenolic, it of course beat the leather hands down. But I kept the 2nd shaft to use for short shots (something in the way you could use it as a short stick). Then they came out with the tip and ferrule combo phenolic, that beat out the phenolic.

I just need to stay up on the changes, thankfully I only need a hard tip I will keep you posted if I find one.
Until then; Keep Jumpin'

Robin

Robin,

I use the Frog shaft (phenolic tip) on my break cue. I won one of your cues in a raffle at Valley Forge about 5 years ago. One day I'm screwing it together and realize that the thread is the same as my break cue. So I screwed it on and it breaks real good. It does however, cause damage to the cue ball. I stopped using it for that reason and I also believe that a break cue needs a little bit of grip, that phenolic doesn't provide. I never thought about using the second shaft that came with the frog. Is the tip the only difference? I'll give it a try as soon as I get home.

best regards........Paul

Blue Hog ridr
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I gave the local cue repairman a few Super Pros. He made a new jump cue just for the SP. He seems to like it alot.