PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic tip ban

gatorcc
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
With the BCAPL ban on phenolic tips what tips are you all replacing your phenolic tips with?

BVal
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
With the BCAPL ban on phenolic tips what tips are you all replacing your phenolic tips with?
A hard leather tip.

BVal

n10spool
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
next is case hardened steel or titanium for lower deflection..

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
A soaked and re-pressed wb tip, cut real low.

Works awesome.

The superpro tips are a nice hard layered tip that can be used right out of the box as is. Not as hard as the wb's but nice.

BVal
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Works awesome.

The superpro tips are a nice hard layered tip that can be used right out of the box as is. Not as hard as the wb's but nice.
I actually use a superpro on my playing cue and have used it to both jump and break. It works great.

BVal

McChen
05-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Works awesome.

i second that, i've been making those too. used mineral spirits, the tip is pretty much as hard as phenolic. i gave up all my phenolic tips after this!

504boi
05-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Water buffalo

CocoboloCowboy
05-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Tiger make a Jump Brake tip of LEATHER. BTW I said with what I got because I don't PLAY BLCA 8 Ball National.

mongoose-
05-23-2009, 08:35 AM
next is case hardened steel or titanium for lower deflection..

lol you are probably right. I will bet someone will come out with another material like phenolic. I am sure there is plenty of other substances that can be used. Then what are they gonna do ban everything but leather.

NINEBALLART
05-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Is the Stinger a legal tip ????

Robroy
05-23-2009, 10:22 AM
A hard leather tip.

BVal

I will find a hard "flat" leather tip for the second shaft of the Frog and Tadpole.
If they allow the phenolic tip you will have that shaft, if they don't you will have the other shaft. It won't hurt to much for my business I just need them to put a hard flat tip on the second shaft now. Not every league will follow suit so if you can use it then you will have it available.
I have been teaching the jump shot for years and have never seen a cue ball hurt...sounds like the glass in the G-10 is the problem, I personally have never seen one of them.

shooter50014
05-23-2009, 10:38 AM

I'm not! I will break soft with shooting cue till I read the rules. I have a G10 one piece with a small hole drilled in it and a small piece of leather in it. seems like a leather tip to me. :thumbup:

rackem
05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
If I remember correctly 10 or 12 years ago before the split the BCA rule on jump cues stated that they had to be at least 41" long and have a leather tip.
It is my understanding that the leather tip portion of the rule was done away with.
The reason being, that there was no one available at the tournaments to determine what was leather and what wasn't.
How are they going to handle that now?? :confused:
I have some of the rolled linen leather dusted tips that were used on the Kangaroo back then and up to a few years ago.
I wonder if they will be considered legal now.
Is there anyone I can send a tip to, to have it checked?? :help:

td873
05-23-2009, 04:57 PM

I'm just cutting mine off and rounding the ferrule. I hope there's no rule against that. ;)

-td

ctyhntr
05-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Stealth shaft with a hard pressed water buffalo leather tip works great on a Sledgehammer.

vasilios
05-23-2009, 05:35 PM
the jump ,break tip unit that i build for cues is made out of old red circle cue balls.works wonderful! a bca offical would look at it and say you wont be able to use it.but it is the same as two balls hitting each other.
i believe if you mounted a cue ball on your stick they would have to accept it.

bill

TXsouthpaw
05-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Nothing. Im not playing in any bca events. the hell with them

TXsouthpaw
05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
the jump ,break tip unit that i build for cues is made out of old red circle cue balls.works wonderful! a bca offical would look at it and say you wont be able to use it.but it is the same as two balls hitting each other.
i believe if you mounted a cue ball on your stick they would have to accept it.

bill

I was thinking that too the other day. cant someone just cut up some cue balls and make some tips out of that? It would be no different than the cue ball hitting the one ball really hard during a break. They couldnt ban those.

Slingshot 14
05-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I recently replaced the shaft on my J/B (not because of the phenolic tip). The new shaft came with hard leather tip that I've used only a few times, but seems work ok so far.

CocoboloCowboy
05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Nothing. Im not playing in any bca events. the hell with them

DITTO.:thumbup: Think the BCA needs us more than we need them.:grin:

Dave Mackay
05-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I can recommend the Samsara break tip as fitted on the OB Cues break cue......

CocoboloCowboy
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I honestly do not understand the BCA with the recession, they want to drive player away, or to another League over a few Cue ball. Here in the Valley the Bar, Room, and Sports Bar owner are trying to figure out how to get Pool Players playing in the Recession!

rayjay
05-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I was thinking that too the other day. cant someone just cut up some cue balls and make some tips out of that? It would be no different than the cue ball hitting the one ball really hard during a break. They couldnt ban those.

They already did. Cue balls are phenolic.
:p

TXsouthpaw
05-23-2009, 09:18 PM
They already did. Cue balls are phenolic.
:p

they have to be made of different materials. If not then thered be no damage and then no need to ban them. I mean actual cue balls.