PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Just was wandering?????

Hustler85
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Does anyone think that proposition bets are considered as stealing? Just a lil curious cause I made a grand in under 15 minutes. Just wanting to know your thoughts

poolhustler
05-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone think that proposition bets are considered as stealing? Just a lil curious cause I made a grand in under 15 minutes. Just wanting to know your thoughts

My thoughts........ Hmmmmmmmmm

I think that gas prices going up just because its a holiday weekend is BS!!

CreeDo
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I guess it depends on the bet.

I think most people should be smart enough to understannd that if someone is making you a proposition, they got the nuts and they wouldn't be betting if they didn't already know something.

If the victim chooses to buy in anyway, he's basically saying "ok, I can't figure this out but I gotta see it, and I'm willing to pay to see it"

So I think the answer is usually "no". However if someone is dumb enough to fall for a trick involving word games or whatever, I'd feel bad about taking money from them. Like the one about "I bet I can roll this cue ball under the bridge" (and then you roll it on the floor under the table).

A while ago a guy offered to make this bank on the very first try for 100 bucks:
http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/insanebank.jpg

I almost got out my wallet. Lucky I didn't have enough cuz he made it the very next try.
I almost would have paid to see it but I got to see it for free.

What was your proposition?

rayjay
05-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you think it was stealing. Depends. What was the proposition?

blah blah
05-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I think it does depend on the situation. If you bet that you can do a special "thing," that you have technique or practice or whatever at, and someone bets against you, fine.

If you bet on a puzzle where it's clear there's a trick and the trick has to be discovered but all of the necessary tools and clues are available, fine.

If you make a bet where you have tricked someone with words- your description of what you could/ would do, for example, I think you're walking on some dangerous ground.

Others might also argue that the standard is to never bet a man his own trick, so fair game.

wood600rr
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I've heard of some crazy things that people will bet on, one that comes to mind is a guy that would bet he could throw a quarter into the slot on a pay phone from 8-10 feet away. Sounds impossible, but he could bust you on it. One thing I've learned, NEVER bet against someone else's trick.

DogsPlayingPool
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I've heard of some crazy things that people will bet on, one that comes to mind is a guy that would bet he could throw a quarter into the slot on a pay phone from 8-10 feet away. Sounds impossible, but he could bust you on it. One thing I've learned, NEVER bet against someone else's trick.

Here's a proposition: I bet the guy isn't doing so well with that trick anymore. Throw that prop at someone nowadays and they're like to reply with "What's a pay phone?"

JesPiddlin
05-22-2009, 10:10 PM

If you have to ask, then either someone shamed you over it and made you think about it, or you feel bad about the deal and feel like you stole from someone. If your subconscious is going to make you think about it, then it needs to help you decide what to do about it.

I try not to go where my subconscious mind speaks. I have a bad tendency to talk back and people think I'm weird. :eek:

JesPiddlin
05-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Forgot to mention...

Welcome to the forum.

sjm
05-22-2009, 10:34 PM
First of all, the thread title says you were wandering? Where were you wandering?

Second, as you are new here, you may not realize that the main forum is for pool related threads, so don't be surprised if the moderator moves this thread to the non-pool-related forum.

Anyway, welcome to AZB. It's nice to have you.

PoolBum
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Don't wander too far or someone may take that grand from you.

Cameron Smith
05-22-2009, 10:54 PM
The rule of thumb for me, is that if someone bets they can do something, don't bet against it.

The only exception is if someone proposes a trick bet that you have already heard of. A common one I have seen is the bit from pool hall junkies, where someone bets that they can drink two pints before you can down two shots. Fairly easy to counter if you know the trick.