PDA

View Full Version : APA Local Team Championships. Who Else Is Vegas Bound???

DelaWho???
05-24-2009, 07:23 PM
My 8 ball team has qualified for the Nationals. First time ever to the LTC and we are going to Vegas!!! Who else is going????

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:cool:

conetip
05-24-2009, 08:23 PM
The team from Johns Bar, Evan's City ,Pa.
1st time as well.

daphish1
05-24-2009, 08:56 PM
We have our city playoffs this next week, hopefully we'll be going. Got close a couple times, got 2nd when they only sent 1st place and got third when they sent 1-2. Hopefully this year we'll get there.

cycopath
05-24-2009, 09:43 PM
We got to double hill, double hill in our LTC finals. My friend miscued on his last object ball and left his opponent straight in on the 8 ball. We took 2nd place. No Vegas.

In the last 5 years, we've had two 2nd place finishes and a 1st.

Scott Lee
05-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Way to go Dan! Congratulations! Go to Vegas and have fun! Play your best game EVERY time! Hope you and your team do well!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com'

My 8 ball team has qualified for the Nationals. First time ever to the LTC and we are going to Vegas!!! Who else is going????

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:cool:

D_Lewis
05-25-2009, 12:18 AM
I'll be there, just give me a few weeks to secure my spot. ;) hahaha.

DoomCue
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll be there for the Masters event. This is my 3rd time playing in the Masters Nationals. The 2nd time, though, didn't really count since I had a broken collarbone and couldn't play. I was an excellent cheerleader, though....

I'll be staying at Circus Circus ($27/night!). Since I'm only playing Masters, I'll only be in Vegas Sunday through Thursday.

Anyone want to meet up at the Peppermill for breakfast one day? For you first-timers, Peppermill is basically right next to the Riviera, and they have good food for a good price with huge servings.

-djb

frankncali
05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I am going to be playing Masters and hopefully team 8 ball. Our team championships our coming up this next weekend. I am on two pretty good teams.
After having to cancel 10 days in Vegas for the BCA I told me boss that I am not missing APAs in August. Of course I have two job interviews this week. I guess I will have to see how those go :(

kevin s
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I was there year with a group of friends that played. Wasnt it in August last year?

TheBook
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
My wife and I are going to Vegas for a week on June 26. See you at Harrah's if you are still there.

Just ask any of the BT's there if you know Ed The Book and you will get a free drink as long as you are playing VP. :rotflmao1:

stevea
05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
We have a lot of teams for the city tournament so starting in June (the first week), we will have 3 straight weekends of the tournament and the winner from each weekend gets to go to vegas. We always send 3 teams but we use to have it all in one weekend. We would send the winner of each board and then the second place teams from each board would play for the 3 spot.

But like I said this year we have 3 different weekends and one winner from each weekend gets to go to vegas. I have one team in it but I already for my plane ticket and hotel room because my wife and I are going to go no matter what. We are staying at Sahara for $26 a night (where we stayed last year).

dirks
05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Our tourny for Vegas called the City Wide Tourny isn't until the middle of june.

almer
05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
We have our city playoffs this next week, hopefully we'll be going. Got close a couple times, got 2nd when they only sent 1st place and got third when they sent 1-2. Hopefully this year we'll get there.Ive never played apa,when you guys say you are sending 1 team or 2 teams,out of how many teams is that,in our BCA or VNEA we send half the teams,1 out of 2,is this different than apa,we pay about $18.00 per 27 wk schedule

DelaWho???
05-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Way to go Dan! Congratulations! Go to Vegas and have fun! Play your best game EVERY time! Hope you and your team do well!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com'

Thanks Scott. I wasn't in any kind of mental shape to play pool, and I didn't play at all in the qualifying rounds on Saturday. I think I was probably the only team captain who didn't shoot. Thankfully I didn't have to. I was only going to shoot if we were on the verge of losing. I wanted to be the guy to go down swinging. Fortunately I didn't have to, and when I did play on Sunday I played like a chump. My personal life will not be an intruding factor when I get to Vegas.

:)

jrt30004
05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
cities are june 5-7 here in atlanta. have a team qualified so have to see how it goes. still thinking about taking the girlfriend if we don't qualify just to check it out and play in the mini-mania tournaments. i sure do love going from 9 footers we play on here to the bar boxes. especially in 9ball.

JCurry
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I will be there. My Denton county (TX) 8-ball team took 1st place last week.

BBBrock
05-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I hope our team makes it. I'm going on a master's team forsure. We have "tri-annuals" this coming weekend in North Orange County to see if we qualify for our "regionals" or LTC that takes place in June. I also play on a team in South Orange County that has qualified for LTCs on June 28th. Both team are 9-ball teams with a pretty good chance to advance. I also think my wife and I are going to try and play in an 8-ball doubles qualifier on June 16th since she's a 3 and I'm a 7 so hopefully we make for something. See ya out there!

daphish1
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Ive never played apa,when you guys say you are sending 1 team or 2 teams,out of how many teams is that,in our BCA or VNEA we send half the teams,1 out of 2,is this different than apa,we pay about $18.00 per 27 wk schedule

I'm not sure on the exact number who are in the city playoffs here but probably some where around 40-48 teams in 8 ball and 30-35 in 9 ball.

I think the apa gives so many spots depending on the size of the league but don't now for sure how it's determined. So this year we might have 2 (maybe 3) teams going for 8 ball and 2 teams for 9 ball.

Our local fees are $6 a week for 3 X 14 week sessions (might be 16 don't remember). If you play in a double jeopardy league (think thats what its called, 8 & 9 ball) its' $8 a week.

Isn't BCA as long as you got your number of matches in you can go play in vegas?

JDB
06-01-2009, 06:26 AM
I will be there. My Denton county (TX) 8-ball team took 1st place last week.

Congrats Josh! We lost the final in 9-ball last night to Larry Freeman's team in a very close match so we will not be getting the free trip. However, I think I am going to go anyway just to watch the teams that made it and see how everyone does.

Gregg
06-01-2009, 06:51 AM
The APA sux and I will NEVER play again!@#

Oh, wait, what were you asking again? Did I go off subject again? :D

Congrats on you guys doing well. We were hill/hill match and game, and lost to get into the finals at our city tournament in Atlantic City, NJ...It was a full on blast, so much fun. It's tough to get to that finals match and win it.

:thumbup:

BBBrock
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
So we had our tri-annual tournament this weekend for 9-ball. Our team played well and managed to make it through to the next round, LTC's on June 20th! There we'll have 10 teams compeating for 2 spots to Vegas!!! Good shooting team OR?!!!

JDB
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
So we had our tri-annual tournament this weekend for 9-ball. Our team played well and managed to make it through to the next round, LTC's on June 20th! There we'll have 10 teams compeating for 2 spots to Vegas!!! Good shooting team OR?!!!

We had 12 teams competing and only get one spot for vegas....:( Unfortunately, we took 2nd so we missed out.

Good luck in your LTCs.

tigerseye
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Cya there buddy.=)))

gunzby
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Didn't make it this year. Made it through day 3 of the tournament and lost. To our credit it is a pretty tough team tourney to make it through since it covers teams from about half of NC and a small part of SC as well. To put it into perspective there were I think 74 tables and the tourney was from Thursday through Sunday.

Over 40
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
My team Top Dog from W.Union,Ohio won in Cincinnati this weekend.Vegas here we come

hon400ex
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Our team made it yesterday. We played 7 matches over four days and went to the fifth match in 6 of them. We won the winners side of the bracket over some really good friends. Amazing weekend, I'm still pumped!

Andy

BBBrock
06-01-2009, 10:57 PM
We had 12 teams competing and only get one spot for vegas....:( Unfortunately, we took 2nd so we missed out.

Good luck in your LTCs.

Yeah we have A LOT of teams in our area. We send three 8-ball teams and two 9-ball teams. Anyways thank for the luck, we'll need it.

frankncali
06-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Our team's run at Vegas ended this past sunday night by losing in the finals :angry:
It was really more than I expected from our team. We are all rated correctly so I knoew it would be tough to make it through.

Actually another AzBer and his team took us out and won the trip to compete in Vegas. They have a good team and I wish them luck.

--------------

Just out of curiosity.........

This weekend a foul was called that I have not ever seen called in regionals or local events. It was for touching the cueball before it stops
after making the 8ball.
I knew it was a foul but when it was called on our guy I was shocked. I was more shocked that the LO upheld the call.
I am not talking about a cueball rolling near a hole but rather one that basically has stopped or has 2 inches left.

Afterwards my team started watching and I saw it called 3 other times. I actually witnessed the cueball being stopped like this or balls being moved into the cueball in almost every match for two days. Not one was going to scratch or be near the pocket even.

Any reason why I would just now see it called four times in two days?
New rule book or something???

Our opponet said that a rule was a rule even though ALL of his teammates agreed that the ball was no where close to scratching or even moving much.
I think that it should have been handled like this....
LO asks if ball was close to scratching .... if opponet says no then warn the team that touched the ball...
My example to the other teams was that if I was stripes and knowingly hit a solid shouldn't I give up ball in hand. I could state that the rule states that someone needs to be watching the hit.
You need to play with strong morals IMO. I thought that the teams calling these fouls were looking for easy ways to win.

DoomCue
06-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Our team's run at Vegas ended this past sunday night by losing in the finals :angry:
It was really more than I expected from our team. We are all rated correctly so I knoew it would be tough to make it through.

Actually another AzBer and his team took us out and won the trip to compete in Vegas. They have a good team and I wish them luck.

--------------

This weekend a foul was called that I have not ever seen called in regionals or local events. It was for touching the cueball before it stops
after making the 8ball.
I knew it was a foul but when it was called on our guy I was shocked. I was more shocked that the LO upheld the call.
I am not talking about a cueball rolling near a hole but rather one that basically has stopped or has 2 inches left.

Afterwards my team started watching and I saw it called 3 other times. I actually witnessed the cueball being stopped like this or balls being moved into the cueball in almost every match for two days. Not one was going to scratch or be near the pocket even.

Our opponet said that a rule was a rule even though ALL of his teammates agreed that the ball was no where close to scratching or even moving much.
LO asks if ball was close to scratching .... if opponet says no then warn the team that touched the ball...
My example to the other teams was that if I was stripes and knowingly hit a solid shouldn't I give up ball in hand. I could state that the rule states that someone needs to be watching the hit.
You need to play with strong morals IMO. I thought that the teams calling these fouls were looking for easy ways to win.
I agree with you - sportsmanship should play a bigger part in LIFE, not just pool. I think there's a certain degradation occurring in society, and as a result, honor/sportsmanship aren't nearly as important as winning.

I refereed half of the city tournament in Raleigh this past weekend, and there were several instances where sportsmanship went out the window. I found out this weekend that if you have to explain what sportsmanship means, you're wasting your breath.

-djb <-- looks forward to meeting frankncali

tigerseye
06-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Didn't make it this year. Made it through day 3 of the tournament and lost. To our credit it is a pretty tough team tourney to make it through since it covers teams from about half of NC and a small part of SC as well. To put it into perspective there were I think 74 tables and the tourney was from Thursday through Sunday.

You need to come to Asheville...They only had 8-teams of 9-ball and 8-teams of 8-ball....It only took 2 days....:thumbup:

sde
06-02-2009, 06:55 AM

--------------

after making the 8ball.

I was watching the team finals of VNEA that were streamed this past weekend and seen the CB picked up before it stopped rolling several times. There were refs present and no foul was called. Perhaps VNEA's rules are different, I don't know, but I was assuming that the refs were allowing it until the opposing team called foul. And for that I commend the teams for not trying to "steal" wins that are not deserved.

In your case I do not fault the LO for upholding the foul, I feel that the opposing team were using the rules to win rather than their skill at the table.

But bottom line, imo, this that all the players should know the rules to avoid such situations and make the nits actually win at the table.

Steve

APA LO
06-02-2009, 08:24 AM

after making the 8ball.

I can't speak for your LO, but I'm sure they'd be happy to explain why they rule the way they do on this if you contacted them directly. I can tell you why we rule that way, though.

While in many cases, a cue ball rolling to a slow stop is usually harmless and probably not going to fall in a pocket, some teams will purposely try to win that way. It never fails, when one team calls a foul on the other team, when I go over and ask each team, one team said it was definitely going to scratch while the other says there was absolutely no chance. I have to rule one way or another, and since I didn't see it, how can I make a fair ruling if there isn't a rule in place that clearly defines how to handle a situation like this. I certainly don't want to rule in favor of the team that was more animated on whether it was a foul or not, and I don't want to rule in favor of a team that is trying to steal a gam.

So, we instruct every team prior to events like this that you are not allowed to touch a moving ball. At no other time in a game are you allowed to reach out and touch a moving ball without it being a foul, so if you do it on the 8 ball, a foul will be called just like any other time.

There is absolutely no reason to touch a moving cue ball after pocketing the 8 ball. Instead of grabbing the cue ball, go grab the balls out of the pool table to roll to your opponent to rack the next game. Go to your table and high five your teammates. Do anything else, but don't touch that cue ball.

In past rulings that I have made, more often than not, the cue ball wasn't rolling fast, but it was fairly close to a pocket. Close enough to get one team worked up over grabbing the ball. My solution? Just don't do it. You can't lose a cheap game if you just don't do it.

APA Gene
06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
The team that won our 9-Ball Team Championships was a Cinderella story! Only bar team in the tournament. More of a drinking team with a pool problem! They beat 3 of the most experienced and deepest teams in our league to win it! How did they do it?

1) Didn't let the pressure get to them. They were joking and having fun all the way. Never a tense moment.

2) The other teams made horrible match-up decisions

3) The pressure got to the teams they beat especially in the finals

Congrats to Chicken Sticks from Boston Johnny's in Hollywood, FL. Well Done!

dr9ball
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Congratulations to you and your Team. My team hopes we get to go to Las Vegas with you.