PDA

View Full Version : Does drinking hurt or help your game?

bigshooter
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Does drinking help or hurt your game?

Multiple choices are allowed on the poll.

poolplayer2093
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
depends on the amount

hilla_hilla
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I try not to drink when I play, but when I do drink when I play, I free wheel and relax. I guess it depends upon the person and how much you drink. I wouldn't make a habit of it.

bigshooter
06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Poll attached now, multiple choices allowed.

PoolBum
06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Drinking before hurts, drinking after helps.

Get enough drinks in you after you play and it'll turn out you didn't miss a ball.

mamono
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I think it depends on the person and situation. If you aren't confident about your game, then it may help calm the nerves a little so that you can put more trust in your stroke and not second guess yourself. That's about it. I don't think it should be something to be relied on. Improve your game, I think drinking should be purely recreational and for social reasons only.

dgem
06-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Drink when you lose, drink when you win. Drinking beer will always be there no matter what. Beer is your best friend.

Just make sure to remember these troubleshooting :smile:

For all drinkers out there.....

Beer Troubleshooting

Symptom: Feet cold and wet.
Fault: Glass being held at incorrect angle.
Action: Rotate glass so that open end points towards ceiling.

Symptom: Feet warm and wet.
Fault: Improper bladder control.
Action: Stand next to nearest dog; complain about housetraining.

Symptom: Beer unusually pale and tasteless.
Fault: Glass empty.
Action: Get someone to buy you another beer.

Symptom: Opposite wall covered with florescent lights.
Fault: You have fallen over backward.
Action: Have yourself lashed to the bar.

Symptom: Mouth contains cigarette butts.
Fault: You have fallen over forward.
Action: See above.

Symptom: Beer tasteless, front of your shirt is wet.
Fault: Mouth not open, or glass applied to wrong part of face.
Action: Retire to restroom, practice in mirror.

Symptom: Floor blurred.
Fault: You are looking through the bottom of an empty beer glass.
Action: Get someone to buy you another beer.

Symptom: Floor moving.
Fault: You are being carried out.
Action: Find out if you are being taken to another bar.

Symptom: Room seems unusually dark.
Fault: Bar has closed.
Action: Confirm home address with bartender.

Symptom: Taxi suddenly takes on colourful aspect and textures.
Fault: Beer consumption has exceeded personal limitations.
Action: Cover mouth.

Symptom: Everyone looks up to you and smiles.
Fault: You are dancing on the table.
Action: Fall on someone cushy-looking.

Symptom: Beer is crystal clear.
Fault: It's water. Someone is trying to sober you up.
Action: Punch them.

Symptom: Hand hurts, nose hurts, mind unusually clear.
Fault: You've been in a fight.
Action: Apologise to everyone you see, just in case it was them.

Symptom: Don't recognise anyone, don't recognise the room you're in.
Fault: You've wandered into the wrong party.
Action: See if they have free beer.

Symptom: Your singing sounds distorted.
Fault: The beer is too weak.
Action: Have more beer until your voice improves.

Symptom: Don't remember the words to the song.
Fault: Beer is just right.
Action: Play air guitar.

:D:D:D

Cornerman
06-19-2009, 03:43 AM

It's been a very long time that I haven't been drinking while playing. I enjoy drinking. I enjoy playing. I don't love the game enough anymore to stop drinking and enjoy myself. I seem to win enough tournaments to justify that my balanced enjoyment is worth it.

Fred <~~~ multi-tasker

9BallPaul
06-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Between beers #2 and #5, my game improves. After that, all bets are off. And I never crack the Jameson until the cue is hanging in the rack.

paksat
06-19-2009, 05:03 AM
I played last night with a couple pitchers in me and i'm going to do my best to make sure that never happens again.

I couldn't even manage to look 3 balls ahead and when I can normally plan the whole table between 5-10 seconds.

Excellent potting skills saved my @ss but what should have been a blowout, if I was sober, turned into a close game due to intoxication (imo).

gunzby
06-19-2009, 05:18 AM
One or two beers won't hurt as far as I know, but more than that it is downhill.

So far as getting drunk I would say that it hurts anyone's game. Not only would that hurt my game, but if I get tanked the night before it will hurt my game the next day as I obviously wouldn't be 100%.

gunzby
06-19-2009, 05:20 AM
There are actually two things that I do where I don't drink and a lot of people do. I don't drink while playing and I don't drink while fishing. When I am doing those two things I am two busy with those activities to be concerned with drinking a beer.

ridewiththewind
06-19-2009, 06:38 AM
It's been a very long time that I haven't been drinking while playing. I enjoy drinking. I enjoy playing. I don't love the game enough anymore to stop drinking and enjoy myself. I seem to win enough tournaments to justify that my balanced enjoyment is worth it.

Fred <~~~ multi-tasker

Great minds think alike! :yeah:

Lisa

crawfish
06-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Laugh if you will, but muscle memory and drinking and playing go hand in hand for me. Most money I've ever won, I had drank 16 over a period of about seven hours. Between 3-10, I'll play loose and fresh. After 10 or so, I'm sure I drop off a little. Depends on the time line. My body couldn't perform without a Miller Lite. The muscles aren't used to playing sober. That'd be weird. I'm sure if I began playing sober 25 years ago, drinking would be negative. But, if you've drank every time you've played, your body gets used to that same feeling. I play alot on instinct and feel. Not very good mechanics in general. I jump up on shots, have a weird shortened stroke, and have absolutely no concentration. Maybe I should quit.

PegLeg
06-19-2009, 06:54 AM
One or two beers before playing or during the first game help me to loosen up and I shoot better. After that all bets are off.

If I am playing with friends for fun then I will drink as much or as little as I feel like. Depends on my mood.

Of course my level of drinking depends on if I am driving. If I am driving then I limit myself to either 2 mixed drinks or 3 to 4 beers. After that I call my wife or a cab.

THE PICK
06-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Eddie Taylor never missed a ball when he had a few. I play just as bad when I drink as when I don/t. If the spot is right I will still take a peek at it.

Andrew Manning
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
1-3 drinks and I don't really notice any difference. After that, my focus suffers and I become inconsistent. I do drink, but many people I play pool with think I don't because I don't usually drink while playing, and when I do it's never very much. I like drinking, and I like playing pool, but I despise not performing at my highest level while playing pool.

-Andrew

Black-Balled
06-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Up to about 6 beers, I am all into it. After that, it's just funny.

CocoboloCowboy
06-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Alcohol, Pool, and I don't mix well. For me a BEER, and my game goes downhill.

Doug
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Intake of alcohol will not improve performance in any contest that requires hand to eye coordination. This was explained to me when I was asserting that one or two beers didn't make a difference in performance to a Dr. buddy of mine. He said it had been proven that an expert marksman could not group shots as closely after one beer and that pro tennis players could not judge the bounce of the ball as accurately after one beer. Sure, I have seen some pool players play fantastic and have a beer at or in hand continuously but never become intoxicated. Those people have developed a dependence on the tranquilizing effect of alcohol in the same way that some people got to have a cigarette while playing. Neither the nicotin or the alcohol is beneficial.

dkindig
06-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Laugh if you will, but muscle memory and drinking and playing go hand in hand for me. Most money I've ever won, I had drank 16 over a period of about seven hours. Between 3-10, I'll play loose and fresh. After 10 or so, I'm sure I drop off a little. Depends on the time line. My body couldn't perform without a Miller Lite. The muscles aren't used to playing sober. That'd be weird. I'm sure if I began playing sober 25 years ago, drinking would be negative. But, if you've drank every time you've played, your body gets used to that same feeling. I play alot on instinct and feel. Not very good mechanics in general. I jump up on shots, have a weird shortened stroke, and have absolutely no concentration. Maybe I should quit.

crawfish hit the nail on the head pretty much. There is a documented phenomenon called "state-dependent learning" and it has been demonstrated that skills that are mostly acquired while under the influence are actually recalled better while under the influence. This does NOT mean hammered!

I think that muscle-memory skills are particularly affected by this, and that's why you see a lot of pool players/golfers that do a little better if they've had a drink or two.

Just my 2 cents...

Qjunkie
06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
The more I drink, the worst i play. This Tuesat league I had 3 tweeking puerto ricans (red bull, barcardi, barcardi O, & Malibu) and a shot of Patron

My hand eye coordination goes bad, I get really excited and jumpy. I dont remember even playing my last match. It was a weird night, the team just wanted to party.

On the flipside, last night at league didnt have 1 drink. Shot a 60 (BCA)

trustyrusty
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
after my 2nd Dr. Pepper (sometimes 3rd), I gotta pee, so I guess it may break my concentration a bit... :p

sixpack
06-19-2009, 09:28 AM

If my opponent is drinking it definitely helps my game.

~rc

grindz
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Intake of alcohol will not improve performance in any contest that requires hand to eye coordination. This was explained to me when I was asserting that one or two beers didn't make a difference in performance to a Dr. buddy of mine. He said it had been proven that an expert marksman could not group shots as closely after one beer and that pro tennis players could not judge the bounce of the ball as accurately after one beer. Sure, I have seen some pool players play fantastic and have a beer at or in hand continuously but never become intoxicated. Those people have developed a dependence on the tranquilizing effect of alcohol in the same way that some people got to have a cigarette while playing. Neither the nicotin or the alcohol is beneficial.

Tennis is completely different from pool, and doesn't mix with beer. As to guns and beer..... bad idea :eek:.... as to pool and beer, your Dr. friend apparently doesn't believe in any drugs. Beer can reduce fine motor twitches, whether those come from nervousness or from a malady such as familial essential tremor, it can have a calming effect. It's a medical fact that alcohol can be of benefit to remedy that symptom..... alcohol impairment however comes with it's own set of problems as we all know, and it's a sliding scale that is tough to chase the perfect zone.

Not dogging on ya.... just your Dr. friend may not know what "playing" feels like. JMHO I know for a FACT that not shaking (:smile:) while playing CAN be beneficial to your game!! :D

Don't drive while intoxicated!!

td

bigshooter
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
As to guns and beer..... bad idea :eek:....

You've obviously never lived in Texas. :D

bigshooter
06-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't drink at all anymore but back when I enjoyed drinking I still didn't drink during tournaments or serious play, in my mind it was silly to put in hundreds of hours of practice then use a drug that hampers my ability to play.

I have seen some awesome shooters that drink but it never helped me, it hurt me.

PROG8R
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
most of the time it hurts, there are those rare occasions where I can just go
unconscience and run out from everywhere. Get 17 beers down and not feel drunk at all. then there are those times where 5-6 makes me feel and play like... well rather poorly.

crawfish
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
crawfish hit the nail on the head pretty much. There is a documented phenomenon called "state-dependent learning" and it has been demonstrated that skills that are mostly acquired while under the influence are actually recalled better while under the influence. This does NOT mean hammered!

I think that muscle-memory skills are particularly affected by this, and that's why you see a lot of pool players/golfers that do a little better if they've had a drink or two.

Just my 2 cents...
My point exactly.

phinmole
06-19-2009, 11:55 AM
When I was younger (under 35), drinks screwed up my game big time. I drank cokes only when playing, but as I got older (40ish.. lol..), I have found that 2-3 shots evenly spaced over a 5 hour league play really helps me concentrate and keep steady. I am not sure why, but as I got older, I seemed to have gotten more nervous and less confident in my game. The shots bring that confidence and steady hands back.

Shrug. That is just me. lol.. if we ever play, a jager will be close at hand. At least 3 but no more than 4, after 4, OMG, I go from a pool player to.. well.. I should really put my shooting cues away after 4.

Felix

troi
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
A few beers help me relax and be more fluid.

I am trying not to make it a habit or crutch though...

catscradle
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
No choice for me, I haven't had a drink for about 20 years. However, when I did drink I'd say on average it hurt my game.

dr_dave
06-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Does drinking help or hurt your game?FYI, my June '08 BD article (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2008/june08.pdf) has an interesting graph and some discussion on this topic. Check it out.

Regards,
Dave

chin0
06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
IMHO NO! but than again, I donlt drink