PDA

View Full Version : Capone vs. Nitti

jdelcue
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
....a penny for your thoughts?

skor
06-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Haven't played with either but would love to own both...

Deadon
06-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Capone, no comparison. IMHO

poohkiller
06-19-2009, 04:16 AM
I have not had any Nitti cues but I did have a Capone, and that was The Cue in my short life, so far.
Absolutely professional execution and a hit that was so balanced that it was uncomparable to anything I have felt before.

I know 'hit' is subjective and depends on woods and so on and on... BUT to me no matter the woods, the taper and whatever, my belief is that you can tell if a cue feels right or if it doesn't - even if they feel totally different.

I have hit with a rather expensive Mezz/Predator LE11 with megatons of hype behind it and it was one of the worst feeling cues I have ever felt.

The Capone (to be back on topic) was solid, and most importantly (imo), extremely consistant, whatever was the shot and the power of it, I knew what it will feel like in my hands during the next shot - and that provides confidence. A Lot of it, to be exact.

Here you may see (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=101163) some rather close and detailed pictures of it, judge it yourself :)

Realizm
06-19-2009, 04:47 AM

Nitti plays great...

ScottR
06-19-2009, 04:59 AM
I think Chris has a better jab and movement. Mike has that wicked uppercut and left hook. I'd say it would go the distance with a split decision.

Scott <<== thinks both make a great cue

kaznj
06-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I think the Capone cues are some or the nicest looking cues out there. I am not a collector, but if I ever sold my Scruggs I would buy a Capone.

Eric.
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I have no basis for Nitti's cue, but I love my Capone. Great playing cue, medium-stiff hit and neutrally balanced. Hits great.

Eric

Poke N Hope
06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Both cuemakers are great. I would have to give Capone the edge in the popularity contest. IMHO you can't go wrong with either one. Both are made and balanced well.

Thunder Thighs
06-19-2009, 08:09 AM
I think Chris has a better jab and movement. Mike has that wicked uppercut and left hook. I'd say it would go the distance with a split decision.

Scott <<== thinks both make a great cue

Lllllllets get ready to ruuuuuuuuumble... :grin-square:

hjs032570
06-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Wasn't Nitti, Capone's enforcer? Sorry just adding some levity there. I am a big fan of my Nitti but have no experiences with Capone's. I feel that Nitti's work is top notch and he is very underappreciated as a cuemaker.

dirtypool40
06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I live near Nitti and have been to his shop and seen his work since the early tip repair days.

I have nothing to say at all about Capone cues, no exposure, I am sure they are very nice.

Any given day there are 6-20 Nitti cues in the room I play in. Never seen one with less than perfect attention to detail and 100% execution.

I am especially impressed with his inlays.

Cornerman
06-19-2009, 09:05 AM

In an eating contest or mixed martial arts?

Fred <~~~ just asking

Rich93
06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Big Al, or Snarky as we called him, was a far better leader of the Chicago Outfit than Frank. But the all time greatest was Little Johnny Torrio.

jdelcue
06-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I know both are well respected cuemakers with the goods to back up the praise....

I'm just wondering if anyone has some concise words comparing their cues (overall construction methods, stiffness, butt thickness, joint construction, shaft tapers, veneer work, inlay work, 'hit' and 'feel' I suppose)...

I know it's always shaky to ask for such descriptions, but this is one that I've had on my mind for too long...and while I've been a fan of Nitti for sometime now, I've never had a chance to land a Capone in my hands...

hjs032570
06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Bottom line is you cannot go wrong with those Florida cuemakers (SEARING on the way, well I am on the list!!!!).

cbi1000
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I've played with both:

IMO Capone cues are better players. The both look great, but capone cue have a little harder hit and feel to them, and for that reason that's why i like them. To give you a reference of other cue makers i like the hit of are Gilbert, SW, JossWest. If you don't like the hit of some of these then you might not like the hit and feel of a Capone.

sweatinNbettin
06-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I have owned a Capone for almost 6 years now. Ive also had the chance to play with some Nitti's. In my book, the Capone wins hands down.

RRfireblade
06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Like everything else , people will prefer what they own so your not going to get much usefull info.

They both make great cues inside and out. I work with Nitti so of course I'm biased as well but I do currently own some of each. IMO , Capones are slightler more 'firm' whereas to me Nitti has slightly more 'feel'. Both can offer similar joints and materials whcih will fine tune the 'hit' to your liking so it really comes down to personal preference. Capones are little bigger name and might cost you more up front but get you more later. So , you might get more bang for your buck from Nitti up front.

No wrong answer either way IMO.

jdelcue
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Like everything else , people will prefer what they own so your not going to get much usefull info.

They both make great cues inside and out. I work with Nitti so of course I'm biased as well but I do currently own some of each. IMO , Capones are slightler more 'firm' whereas to me Nitti has slightly more 'feel'. Both can offer similar joints and materials whcih will fine tune the 'hit' to your liking so it really comes down to personal preference. Capones are little bigger name and might cost you more up front but get you more later. So , you might get more bang for your buck from Nitti up front.

Perfect. Thanks, man.

mia
06-19-2009, 12:38 PM

I don't work with either and I don't own either. But I've owned and played with cues from just about every recognizeable and/or big name out there. Szam, Searing, Hercek, Bender, Scruggs, Manzino, White, South West, Schick, Mottey, etc.

I've also played with a few cues from both Capone AND Nitti. And here's my take for what its worth:

Both cuemakers make great cues. Both make a solid product with good playability/feedback. If I were going to spend the money on either, I think based on some of the stuff I've seen coming out of his shop in the last year or so, I'd choose Nitti. Chris is doing some amazing work these days and while playability from either cuemaker is subjective, I'd rate the at the same level.

But Chris seems to have stepped up his design AND execution in the past few months, making some REALLY impressive looking cues.

JMO.

TheBook
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Nitti plays great...

I think most cue makers were decent players before they started making cues.

How about his cues? :rotflmao1:

poolplayer2093
06-19-2009, 03:02 PM
they both kind of stick to the same style but i think mike capone cues look better. i've never hit with either so i can't comment on how they play

alstl
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Big Al, or Snarky as we called him, was a far better leader of the Chicago Outfit than Frank. But the all time greatest was Little Johnny Torrio.

When discussing Capone we really need to break it down to pre-prison/syphilis and post-prison/syphilis. Al's work declined significantly after he went to prison and when the syphilis kicked his work was pretty warped.

poolplayer2093
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
When discussing Capone we really need to break it down to pre-prison/syphilis and post-prison/syphilis. Al's work declined significantly after he went to prison and when the syphilis kicked his work was pretty warped.

Did he get syphilis in jail?

RRfireblade
06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
But Chris seems to have stepped up his design AND execution in the past few months, making some REALLY impressive looking cues.

JMO.

I agree. He's been so involved with Cue shows the last couple years that no one in the public has really seen what he's capable of curently. All his real high end stuff is going straight into collections as of late.

This is just a small sample of his latest stuff . . .

http://premium1.uploadit.org/rrfireblade/Pool/FullCue.jpg

I have a thread on it in the gallery for more detail.

jamesroberts
06-19-2009, 08:17 PM
If you wanna play better buy a capone, they are the best

Standbykid
06-20-2009, 07:01 AM
jdelcue,

Not to take anything away from Capone, as his cues are fantastic, but I prefer Nitti cues. IMHO his work is some of the best in the world. Plus he's the nicest guy around. I own 4 of his cues and soon to be 5. For me (in my limited experience with cues) compared to everything else I've hit with, I think his cues hit and play the best.

At the end of the day though, what you like the best is what's important. Good luck with your decision.

Rich R.
06-20-2009, 01:38 PM
If you really want to find out which is best for you, go to the SBE in Valley Forge next march. The Capone and Nitti booths are usually right next to each other and you can look at their cues at the same time.

I have never hit with a Nitti cue, but I have heard they are good. They definitely look good.

I purchased a Capone cue several years ago without ever hitting with one. Since then, I have purchased two more. That should tell you something.

alstl
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Did he get syphilis in jail?

I doubt it, the incubation time before it kicks in is several years.