PDA

View Full Version : No matter how well YOU play, your losing opponent says, "I played so bad!"

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?":mad::mad:

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.:smile:

Cuebuddy
06-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses:smile:. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.

Hierovision
06-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Break and runs will usally put a stop to their excuses:smile:. I try to remind myself when I lose that you really don't play anyone but the table.
I agree about the "break and runs," but as I am a one-pocket player, break and runs are rare as hens teeth. As for the idea that "you really don't play anyone but the table," I have found that the table looks much tougher against some one-pocket opponents than it does against others!:smile:

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I play a guy on a regular basis that will usually say "I beat myself" no matter how well I play. Eventually I said "Yeah I'm sure I had nothing to do with it" and he calmed down a bit, but he still says it now and then. I definitely hate playing him, but he helps me train my mental game. People like that need to shut the **** up and keep those comments to themselves. The last thing I want to hear when I play well is a comment taking away from my performance.

Sounds like you have had some similar experiences.

poolplayer2093
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day. I know two or three regulars at the pool hall who NEVER compliment their opponent on his good play, they just bemoan the fact that THEIR play was poor that day.

After giving it a little thought, I have a suggestion for those of you, like me, who are irritated by the "I played SOOOO bad" guys. Next time it happens to you, maybe you should say something like, "You think YOU played bad, ME, I'm the one who played just terrible! I don't remember EVER playing as bad as I played today. Geez, I hope I NEVER have another session where my game is off this much. Have you EVER seen me miss so many shots?":mad::mad:

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.:smile:

sometimes it bothers me but i don't let it get to me. i've had other guys play really good and it seems to put me in a coma. you guys have had it happen right? you're breaking good and put a rack or two together then when you break dry your opponent is hooked

sometimes when someone plays well the other guy can't get it started. like when efren shut out jimmy wetch.

CocoboloCowboy

This is a normal human reaction. When I get beat I know why, when I am player with someone who make a GREAT SHOW I say something to them to let them know it was a GREAT SHOT IMO.

Defeat is a form of rejection, and people hate being rejected. Great Salesmen hand rejection well, because it goes with sales.

TX Poolnut
06-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Noboby likes a sore winner.

Cornerman
06-20-2009, 07:04 AM

I hate it. Like my runouts at every opportunity had nothing to do with it.

There's also the more passive slap where they say something like, "sorry I couldn't give you my normal game, but I my team captain will be happy that I lost."

Fred

duckie
06-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Why should anyone give you a pat on the back for playing a good game? That's what you are to do at all times.

I don't care one bit on why the other persond thinks they lost. I only care about how I won and to do it again.

crawfish
06-20-2009, 07:26 AM
I can't help myself when this happens, being the a$$ that I am.

"Yeah, I know you play bad sometimes, but not that bad. Thanks for letting me just hang in there with you. I didn't even have to show up. I had a bad day at work. I do appreciate you not making me concentrate so hard. Wanna beer?"

Voodoo Daddy
06-20-2009, 07:27 AM
If you played run-out pool I will say so but if I did in fact play bad I have no trouble saying that too. Most important is that "W" and it really doesnt matter how you get it. When I read a box score and its shows 15 wins and 1 lose, sure as hell dont say how that team won :D

Voodoo~~makes it point to say "good match" either way.

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 07:44 AM
I just thought of another rejoinder when your opponent attributes your victory to their bad play. How about when they say, "Man, I played SOOO bad!", you say, "Gee, I don't think you played bad at all. In fact, I would rate your play today as well above your average level.":smile:

Jody C
06-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I play a guy who always come with the phrase I can't play for such a small amount of money when he loses. My record against him is 30 wins and 1 loss in 14.1. I confessed, oh well, it must be me.

bigshooter
06-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Just say "Yeah, I have that effect on everyone, don't feel bad" its sort of like your agreeing but taking credit at the same time.

gunzby
06-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Reading the title of that cracked me up. Lately I have had a pool stalker. Apparently he was in Hickory watching me play one day. The next day I was in Charlotte watching the Tommy Kennedy tourney and he shows up talking to me about how he was watching me play the other day in Hickory. I was thinking ok this is strange.

The next week I am playing in Hickory again and here he comes. Later on he asks if I'll play him a few to which I say yea sure why not. I pretty much destroy him and he says "I can't believe that I finally get to play you and I play my worst pool ever."

I just didn't have the heart to tell him that I've seen him play and he is playing par for his course.

ShootingArts
06-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Some people I know are genuinely like me and can rate their game honestly. When they have an off day and I beat them we can both acknowledge the truth of that. On the other hand, some people would proclaim they were just having a bad day if SVB beats them. Since they usually know they are just making excuses one of the most fun things to do is to agree with them. "Yeah, you really played bad today!" Elaborate awhile and watch them get more and more unhappy because they know deep down that they played their usual game and you are talking about their average play not a bad day. :D :D :D

Hu

Str8PoolPlayer
06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Does it irritate you when you beat a guy and play well to do it and then hear him say, "Boy, I really played terrible today!" In other words, he gives you NO credit for winning and playing well, he just acts as though the only reason you won was that he played below par that day.

Yes, I get this same story quite often when I win the most Sets while playing my regular practice partner ... He did, however, once state that I was getting too good and he would have to "cut me loose" ...

Tom In Cincy
06-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I understand why you might get irritated Bill, when you only win a few times a year and your opponent taints it by saying they played poorly... :D

We all want to win and when we do we would like the normal accolade deserving of such efforts.

'Good Game', 'Good Match', 'It was my pleasure playing you', 'Best of luck for the next match.' All good and normal responses from gracious losers and good characteristics of a true competitor.

But, it doesn't irritate me when I get the same responses that irritate you. I usually am not concerned about those LOW CLASSED SOBs. They can have all those early matches in the one loss side of the bracket...

Miss my One Pocket buddies in Cincy

Tokyo-dave
06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I think that this all points to how most players (including myself) tend to rate their speed on their best game, or best night. It's the same reason people always claim that they don't play as well as they used to. There was about a two year period in my life where I played really strong and considered myself a "7 ball player" based on the way that I kinda rate the speed of myself and others. A "7 ball player" is somebody that can pretty much get out with the last 7 balls every time as long as he/she has a fair shot at the first one.
Now, although I can still break and run out every once in a while, to be totally honest, the most number of balls on the table that I'm 100% sure that I could handle with real consistency without screwing myself would be 4, so I would consider myself a "4 ball player" right now.
So, when I watch another player hit 'em around, and I see he generally runs around 4 balls on a consistent basis before he screws himself, I'm thinking to myself that I can beat this guy, when truthfully, that's about the same speed as I am. Problem is, although I'm only a 4 baller now, I know I can and have been a 7 baller, and that is generally how I mistakenly rate myself. So, when I end up in a game and play 4 baller speed, I tend to walk away from the situation thinking that I played poorly when in truth, I played exactly at my current speed.
I, for one tend to forget that I'm only as good as my low game.
dave

HDR10
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM

OK, I know this may not help all that much, but at least it gives you something to toss back at the guy.:smile:I just agree with them!!Make them feel good about losing and they will keep on losing!!!!!!!!!!

Rich93
06-20-2009, 09:57 AM
It's worse when the guy that beats you says he played so bad. To me that's just ..... impolite.

Cuebuddy
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree about the "break and runs," but as I am a one-pocket player, break and runs are rare as hens teeth. As for the idea that "you really don't play anyone but the table," I have found that the table looks much tougher against some one-pocket opponents than it does against others!:smile:

I also play alot of one pocket and yes runouts are rare but they do happen every now and then:D.

dkrager
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM

It doesn’t bother me a bit. I know when I have had a good performance and it’s that feeling that keeps me insanely addicted to the game. It’s one of those “pleasures of small motions” things.

What does bother me however is flat out poor sportsmanship. For example, recently I was playing in a bar and had the table. The challenger racks and just as I’m walking up to the table to break, the guy stops me and gets in my ear like he is going to whisper something to me and he says. “I’m the best player in here.” Which I thought was a little over the top. So I ended up spanking him all over the table. When I walked up to him after the match to shake hands and offer the usual “good game” he says “No it wasn’t, it was horrible” and he storms out of the room all pissed off.

Jeeze some peoples kids. LOL :shakehead:

sixpack
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't even listen to what the guys says after I beat him. What do you care what losers think?

Kidding. Mostly.

I don't say anything, win or lose, except, "Nice playing you." or some variation. Anything else will be taken wrong often enough that it's just not worth it.

I had a match against a guy that I thought I was friends with once. And I beat him. Neither of us played very good, but I could tell he was playing bad so I was letting him make mistakes and then won by cleaning up short racks.

We shook hands and I said "nice game." He said "I played like sh**." I said "yeah, so did I." and he went off on me about how he played so terrible that even a hack like me could beat him and not to let it go to my head because I had NO chance of winning the tournament and I'd be lucky to win another match etc...

I guess we were only friends when he was better than me.

Anyway, I won the tournament :D

I don't think we ever talked again.

No loss.

~rc

cookie man
06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I hate it. Like my runouts at every opportunity had nothing to do with it.

There's also the more passive slap where they say something like, "sorry I couldn't give you my normal game, but I my team captain will be happy that I lost."

Fred

the reply is, that's why he played you against me, he knew you couldn't win.

Neil
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM

McKinneyMiner
06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't even listen to what the guys says after I beat him. What do you care what losers think?

Kidding or not, this is exactly how I feel...

If an opponent starts popping off about how bad they played against me after I've won I have the luxury of agreeing with everything they say and still getting to break dance my way down the tournament board at his (or her expense)...

Now here is the trick... I can't always control myself, but I also try not to be the jerk that claims how bad he played or how many bad rolls he got, etc... And when I do say those things I fully expect my opponent to nod solemnly and continue THEIR way down the tournament board at MY expense...

After the match is over you shouldn't care one whit what someone says about the match and if they are any player at all they certainly won't care what you have to say...

A look behind the personal curtain...

macguy
06-20-2009, 11:37 AM

It's what makes us human and able to cope with life. It is why people cling to religion, they can't face the fact this may be all there is. It is how we cope.

14-1StraightMan
06-20-2009, 11:56 AM
When ever someone states that he played bad against me. I always answer back: " Don't feel bad b/c I never gave you a chance to shoot. It wasn't your fault"

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Just say "Yeah, I have that effect on everyone, don't feel bad" its sort of like your agreeing but taking credit at the same time.

I'll try to remember this one and use it some time in the future.:smile::smile:

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I understand why you might get irritated Bill, when you only win a few times a year and your opponent taints it by saying they played poorly... :D

I hate it when I get "outed" like that!:D:D

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 12:04 PM
I guess it all depends on how you look at it. To me, someone that gets offended by their opponent saying that is just looking for praise from their opponent.

You've got me there, Neil. Guess I sometimes do look for praise if I play really well. But sometimes it seems that a guy who ALWAYS figures his losses are due to him playing below his normal game is being really arrogant. And I guess it is the arrogance that I find irritating.

I always like it when my opponent says that. That means that next time we play, I don't have to adjust the weight in his favor. " Yeah, I won last time, but even you said that you played bad. I can't adjust because I caught you on an off day. "

Yeah, I have used that one myself.:smile:

BillPorter
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
It's what makes us human and able to cope with life. It is why people cling to religion, they can't face the fact this may be all there is. It is how we cope.

Yeah, for sure it is easier on the psyche to say you played bad (that day) as opposed to having to say that you are simply a bad player (every day!).

You win the prize for the deepest post in the thread, at least so far.:smile:

Rich93
06-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Hmmm. Shoot pool, Fast Eddie.

dardusm
06-20-2009, 12:27 PM
The opponent that I like is one that apologizes for playing so badly and wished they had made a better game of it. :eek:

JamisonNeu
06-20-2009, 01:49 PM
"Just tell them yeah you did play bad, and I am glad you did. I hope next time you do it agian."

alstl
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
I just laugh when I hear that and tell them I got lucky. Works for Efren.

stevee
06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Should be music to your ears. On the rare occasions when I've played good enough to make someone say they played bad, I try to be agreeable and say "yeah and you got some bad rolls", or "well I got some good rolls".

mullyman
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM

You put it on a little thick but I do that to those people, just a little more subtle about it. I'll win a match and get a "I played horrible" today whiner and then I just say "Yeah, something's not right for me today either" or "I got lucky, I haven't played for 2 weeks."
MULLY

ccshrimper
06-21-2009, 09:45 AM
When I was about 18 I decided to try out the local legend at a bar one night. He'd been the best in town for probably 20 years and the locals thought he was jesus with a pool stick.

We start off around $10 a game and he starts off hot, runs 4 racks on me and gets up about 6 games pretty quick and I hear the railbirds starting. "he's in rare form tonight, kids got no chance".

That fired me up and I put a 5 pack on him, got even and then I heard "I don't know what's wrong with xxxx tonight, he's just not playing good" To the guys credit I was playing he told the guys, "I didn't shoot for 5 games, what am I supposed to do?"

JoeyA
06-21-2009, 12:33 PM

I think you have a good idea Bill. :smile:
JoeyA

JoeyA
06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I've got this one guy who is very competitive but doesn't like to steal money HOWEVER, when I am beating on him, he comes with the following and trust me, he's used every one of them.

I'm tired.
I drank hard last night.
I drank a lot of beer today and you didn't drink any.
I have to pick up my dad from work (his dad doesn't drive) and quits early.
We weren't playing for money.
We weren't playing for enough money.
I haven't played any pool in the last couple of weeks. (he works at the damn pool room).
My game is just off.
My tip is a bad tip. (don't know why)
My shaft is too fat. (It's skinny as a pencil, well its about 11MM and a pro taper of about 18".

All said and done, Bobby H is a good guy, my friend and I like him in spite of excuses for when I "get lucky" and beat the dog doo-doo out of him. :D

JoeyA

sixpack
06-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I just laugh when I hear that and tell them I got lucky. Works for Efren.

One time I said that to a kid. He had no chance but he thought I got totally lucky because "Every time you hit a cluster it came out right for you, that's just not right."

Anyway, at the end of the match I said "yeah, I got a little lucky." and he said "I know you got lucky, you can't beat me without it. You just got lucky cause I know I'm a better player than you etc..."

That time I did have the perfect response:

"Well it doesn't seem fair then that I won the tournament. This should be your money, so I'll give you a chance to win it back."

Shut him up tight. He just walked away without another word.

I heard him say "lucky" to a group of his friends later so I walked up and offered again in front of them but suddenly it was 'too late.'

:D

~rc

stormshadow1
06-21-2009, 01:29 PM
One time I said that to a kid. He had no chance but he thought I got totally lucky because "Every time you hit a cluster it came out right for you, that's just not right."

Anyway, at the end of the match I said "yeah, I got a little lucky." and he said "I know you got lucky, you can't beat me without it. You just got lucky cause I know I'm a better player than you etc..."

"Well it doesn't seem fair then that I won the tournament. This should be your money, so I'll give you a chance to win it back."

I heard him say "lucky" to a group of his friends later so I walked up and offered again in front of them but suddenly it was 'too late.'

~rc

Nice story. Thats is exactly how you shut them up.Repped.You have to go check him in front of his boys.lol.You handled it very well.I liked the post also that said "you did play badly and I hope you do next time we play".That's classic and I cant wait to burn someone with that during the league tournament next week.:cool:

alstl
06-21-2009, 01:47 PM

~rc

I played a good safe against a top player from St Louis once and he said "good shot" and I replied "I just got lucky" and he replied, "yea, I get lucky a lot too".

Point being most of the guys claiming they lost due to luck are not top notch players.

sixpack
06-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I played a good safe against a top player from St Louis once and he said "good shot" and I replied "I just got lucky" and he replied, "yea, I get lucky a lot too".

Point being most of the guys claiming they lost due to luck are not top notch players.

I don't know how someone can mentally be a top player and not feel like luck at least balances out. Most top players I know feel like they are lucky.

I know that sometimes I feel snakebit but I also know that overall I'm well on the plus side in terms of luck.

~rc

CreeDo
06-21-2009, 03:43 PM
you know, it honestly doesn't... as long as he means it.

I come into the game with the attitude that I don't care at all how well my opponent is playing. I have no control over it and I'm not really interested. I only care about my own game and what I can do to improve it.

So when someone says that and they seem to really be beating themselves up over it, I sort of recognize myself in that statement. They really just care about their personal performance. Someone else's performance is irrelevant.

Big Perm
06-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I have basically two comments at the handshake when I lose....

If they just played lights out, "Great shooting"

If I played poorly and missed a few makeable balls, "Wish I could have given you a better game"

I played so bad in my last match-up, you could tell the guy felt bad for me, he just shook my hand and he said, "sorry man" :D I was so pissed, I really should have wished him luck in the next round, but I was boiling over....I packed my sheit and left...

This is a good post from the OP....I need to remember to be a gentleman and remember to give credit for a victory, regardless....whether I gave it to them or they shot lights out, they won either way....to the victor go the spoils....

NewStroke
06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I rarely hear what he person says and I can hardly remember what I said. That soon after a match, I am still working myself out of competition mode. Then again, if the guys says that he played terrible, it could be true.

kryptonite9
06-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't know why anyone dislikes this type of attitude. I LOVE it! It just gives me a chance to match up with the best of it later. When you play a guy, beat him, and he says I played so bad, that is great. Next time you play, if he asks for weight because you won, just turn it around on him.

"The last time we played I played my best, you played bad. You should give me a ball."

Everyone knows pool players do not give credit because it will boost the confidence of the other player. No pool player wants to do this unless he is trying to steal someones money. If someone says how great I play I look at them funny thinking "Well who do you want me to go lose to".

Richardson
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Ive had a couple people who dont play as good as me lose to me in a tournament. Everytime they say they played bad and i got lucky. Everytime i tell them i will try them a $50 or $100 set if they would like.

Amazingly they dont accept. :(

catscradle
06-22-2009, 10:49 AM

I think it is a natural reaction, we notice our own mistakes first. I think the fact that your opponent played well is implied by the fact that he won. Usually when I say "I played so badly" I'm not assuming I would have won if I didn't play badly.
However, I would like to see the reaction of somebody when somebody responded to them with your idea. lol.

catscradle
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Ive had a couple people who dont play as good as me lose to me in a tournament. Everytime they say they played bad and i got lucky. Everytime i tell them i will try them a $50 or $100 set if they would like.

Amazingly they dont accept. :(

That reminds me of a story an old guy (even older than me :smile:) in a room I go to told me. When he was young he was a very, very good 14.1 player and he played some guy from Europe who was some kind of champion 2 our of 3 races to 100. The other guy won the first and last to win the match. The guy then went to shake his hand and say nice game, he was mad and responded by saying "You're the luckiest son of a ***** I've ever seen."
He was in his late 70's when he told me the story and the point he was getting at, and was evident in his expression, was that after 50 years he still felt bad about saying that. I thought it interesting that it still haunted him after so long. We often say things when we're mad about our own short comings that we regret later, but it is too late.

paksat
06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I have no problem at all with that response. In fact, that response is 10x better then most of the sh*t you hear when someone is pissed that they lost.

They're not taking anything away from you, they're just saying that they didn't play up to their potential and that you took advantage.

I see nothing wrong with that and i'll take it all day without a problem.

Snapshot9
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Usually there are 2 different types that will say this:

1) The guys with an inflated ego, the ones that think they are better than they are, the ones that think their best day shooting ever is what they average. These are the ones you can hustle forever if you play it right.

2) Someone that used to play real good, but just isn't in stroke, or just really needs more practice to get their game back. Sometimes these guys might be better than you in their top form. So, when they say, "I didn't play very well", they are sincere, but it based on how they use to play, not on how they are currently stroking the ball. You need to be understanding here, and sympathetic, otherwise, these guys can come back later to bite you in the butt.

How do you tell the difference? By how much knowledge they show you when playing, what shots they miss, how well they play shape, and of course, by their stroke they have.

Cameron Smith
06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
As long as it is meant as a self-criticism I don't mind. Though sometimes it is an attack on your game, which is annoying especially if you played poorly yourself.

What I find more annoying are the guys that try to pass off luck as skill. I was playing some cheap 9 ball sets with someone and I was up 6-2. I had run out to the 9 and my opponent unscrews his cue, which I took as a concession of the match and picked up the cb. He calls foul and trys to take bih. After a 'debate' I decide to give it to him as he didn't have a chance of winning anyways. He breaks in the next game making a ball and leaving a dead 1-9 combo. He snaps in the 9 in the next game. I get an opportunity in the following game and run out to win 7-5.

According to him I was lucky as he was on the a comeback and I would have had no chance of winning another set if he could have stayed. I later hear from a friend of mine he was telling people he ran a 3 pack on me after I blew the 9 for the win. Go figure, lol. FWIW I won the last two sets 7-3 and 7-1.

BillPorter
06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
When I made the original post, it was just a little vent about one particular guy I play occasionally who over rates his game and seems to think that the only reason he ever loses is from his bad play.

I have read all the replies and without naming anyone in particular, I just want to say that I am impressed with many of the thoughtful and insightful comments. Makes me glad I started the thread!:smile: