PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Souquet

madfox
06-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I had the chance of playing Ralf at the Romanian 9 Ball International Open held in Timisoara this week. It was me, the one time/week player and him. I won the first game after few safeties back and forth, I broke the next one and the balls layout was really good. I was exited and I hurried to miss the easy 1 and acknowledge my amateur level :rolleyes:I lost 9-2 but was a very nice experience for me. He really didn't miss any position of the cue ball, just missed 3 balls in the entire match.
I posted recently some videos with a player from here, Babken. Well he managed to beat Ralf in the semis 9-6. In the final he lost to Sandor Tot 9-6 after a lead of 6-2 ! Tot it is such a great player, he really cleared every open table, and played very good safeties.
First place prize was 3000 E ( 4000 $ ).
My match with Ralf is here, I pu here the link for the first game, the other 9 you will find them related.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBxNfH75kc

stormshadow1
06-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Very cool story.Sounds like a great time.I would love to play him someday myself.Thanks for sharing.

madfox
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
It was for me one chance in a life time to play someone like that.For one game I felt like a pro tour player. They where a lot of viewers and they applaud me after a good safe or after I won it.
Very nice guy Ralf. It was very kind to chat with us and to let us make pictures with him. I also had the chance to check out his personal Joss cue.
As a funny story, he just came in to the pool room from the airport, and they asked him to play a little bit so they can make some videos for the local tv station. He unscrewed his cue, broke and run out !

Fatboy
06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Ralf is a great person, I really like him. I have never played him but I do know him pretty good. He is perhaps the toughest tournment player in he world right now. Outside of pool he is happily married and the nicest guy you could meet, on the table he is a winner as well. He is a good roll model. He takes his profession very seriously and has a ton of heart.

ArizonaPete
06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for sharing. When I play, I try to emulate Ralf. He always seems so cool, collected and sharp. Love it when he pulls off an amazing shot and gets perfect position.

madfox
06-21-2009, 01:13 PM
What impressed me the most was his stroke. It is so smooth, he holds the cue with 2 fingers when he pulls the cue and close the grip when he strokes. In the end it is a very controlled, very fluent stroke.

beopool
06-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Can you post the scores and some videos (you mentioned)
BR

Nekdo
06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Sandor is a monster player.He has something what is not typical for his enviroment.he has a "german" approach to this sport:smile:

madfox
06-22-2009, 12:58 AM
In a few days I'll post the my match with Souquet and I hope the Final.
Beopool, what scores are you interested in?

billbOK
06-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Sandor is a monster player.He has something what is not typical for his enviroment.he has a "german" approach to this sport:smile:

Are you talking about beer ???

http://redgremlin.homeip.net/ovs/beer_smiley.gif

More seriously, Sandor is an incredible player, very talented one with a lot of heart and provide so much emotions around a table. He is also very friendly.

beopool
06-22-2009, 06:28 AM
Madfox can you post results of last 32 or 16 KO. I saw on you blog some results but if you can post here is better. In english :)

I saw the price money was 8.000. I remember from Zagreb that there should be 10.000 for the winner.? I guess that is why Souguet came?

Otherwise congrats to super talented left handed Sandot Tot. And Babken for win over Souguet.
BR

sfleinen
06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
What impressed me the most was his stroke. It is so smooth, he holds the cue with 2 fingers when he pulls the cue and close the grip when he strokes. In the end it is a very controlled, very fluent stroke.

madfox:

Here are two videos that demonstrate what you are talking about (these are rear-view videos of Ralf's "open/close gripping motion" in action):

Ralf Souquet Stroke Analysis (2007 DCC--Rear#1):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sdwHgXpxQqA

Ralf Souquet Stroke Analysis (2007 DCC--Rear#2):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VGSy85Chc3Q

Hope this is helpful/insightful,
-Sean

madfox
06-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Very helpful, thank you. The first place was 3000 E, second 1500 E, 3-4 750 E, 5-8 300 E, 9-16 100 E
I don't know all the results, sorry, only the important ones.
Last 16 :
Souquet - Zoltan Kercso 9-6
Klasovici - Apeiov - 9- ?
Babken - Svetojevic Marko 9-3
Goran Mladenovic - Carduli Tudor 9- ?

Butina-Vancea 9- ?
Bakarcic - Ladany 9-8 ( Ladany is a romanian who was in the semifinals
of Open 9 ball Paris this year, where he has defeated Peach, Madjid and Faquet)
Viziru - Mina 9-?
Braga Mihai - Sandor Tot 8-9 ( at 8-8 Braga had to choose from a bank in the side or a very good safety opportunity. He missed the bank and Sandor cleaned the table)

Last 8

Souquet - Klasovic 9-6
Babken-Mladenovic 9-4
Bakarcic - Butina 9 - ?
Sandor - Viziru 9-4

Souquet-Babken 6-9
Bakarcic- Sandor 4-9

Babken-Sandor 6-9

NYC cue dude
06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Ralf is a great person, I really like him. I have never played him but I do know him pretty good. He is perhaps the toughest tournment player in he world right now. Outside of pool he is happily married and the nicest guy you could meet, on the table he is a winner as well. He is a good roll model. He takes his profession very seriously and has a ton of heart.

agreed, Ralf is a wonderful person. He is as controlled on the table as he is off. Initially, like most of the German players, he can be very intimidating to approach, but he is completely accomodating to his fans.

Over the years, I have spent a lot of time with him, and can easily vouch for his honesty, integrity AND ferocious competitive spirit.

His wife is beautiful. He has had trouble the past few years getting her to travel here to the states. It has been a great source of depression not having her watch him compete. She comes from a country where there is a problem with terrorists, and the US has been denying everyone there visas. I can only imagine how good he'd be if she was there all the time rooting him on.

His cue is absolutely beautiful. I was with him the day he got it. He couldn't take his eyes off of it!!! He played the straight pool world championships with a cue he owned for 15 minutes.

Rg

Tokyo-dave
06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
I too would love the chance to play him someday......................but I don't have enough time:eek:

His slow play would drive me up the wall, but I have to admit that he's taken the level of the game up a notch or two.
dave

billbOK
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I too would love the chance to play him someday......................but I don't have enough time:eek:

His slow play would drive me up the wall, but I have to admit that he's taken the level of the game up a notch or two.
dave

About his slow play... Sometimes he does, particularily when he is not in stroke, and sometimes he plays at a normally rythm. Ralf is in the category of player who doesn't let anything to hazard when he plays, so yes he sometimes take extra time to play a shot. It's ok for me if I can watch at very high level pool.

madfox
06-24-2009, 01:03 AM
About his slow play... Sometimes he does, particularily when he is not in stroke, and sometimes he plays at a normally rythm. Ralf is in the category of player who doesn't let anything to hazard when he plays, so yes he sometimes take extra time to play a shot. It's ok for me if I can watch at very high level pool.
I agree, I don't think he is an exaggerate slow player. I prefer playing or watching great quality pool at a slower speed then bad speed pool :smile:

Jason Koopman
06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Man I am green with envy, Ralph is my favorite player to watch these days. The "slower" style of play many comment on makes no difference to me... hey he is technical perfection as Grady would say.. that is why he is referred to as the "surgeon". I had a chance to speak to him also about 10 years ago, and he is certaintly a gentleman and an asset to our great sport. Ralph was very cordial, and I got the impression that he "never met a stranger" (yes, I know he keeps to himself, but if you get the opportunity... talk to him, and you will see.

Vahmurka
06-25-2009, 05:49 AM
About his slow play... Sometimes he does, particularily when he is not in stroke, and sometimes he plays at a normally rythm. Ralf is in the category of player who doesn't let anything to hazard when he plays, so yes he sometimes take extra time to play a shot. It's ok for me if I can watch at very high level pool.yeah, that's absolutely correct. Ralf just takes his time and plays with rythm, remember he was feeling quite comfortable under 30 sec shot-clock during Mosconi Cup. For me Johnny Archer plays much slower nowadays (let alone Danny Basavich)

madfox
06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I managed to put the match with Ralf on youtube. Please excuse the amateur cameraman. The last game I didn't manage to post, it was a break and run from Ralf. Well that is me,Madfox an amateur player, you will notice me, I am the other guy then Souquet LOL
I post here the first game, then you can follow the other 9 from youtube. I expect positive criticism from you guys !!!

madfox
06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Pics updated, Ralf and Sandor !

Matt Stockman
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I managed to put the match with Ralf on youtube. Please excuse the amateur cameraman. The last game I didn't manage to post, it was a break and run from Ralf. Well that is me,Madfox an amateur player, you will notice me, I am the other guy then Souquet LOL
I post here the first game, then you can follow the other 9 from youtube. I expect positive criticism from you guys !!!

Great safety play in the first game!!

Whatever the outcome, you can always say you got the best of "the surgeon" in a tactical battle. Not many can say that!!

Jim Kuykendall
06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I drew Ralph in the first round of the losers bracket in Dec. 1998,in Reno.Even though I have not played in a lot of high level tournaments, I have had some unbelievable draws in the ones I did play. Corey Duel, Gabe Owens, Jeremy Jones, Kim Davenport, you get the picture. None of them were more dominating than Mr. Souquet. Huge break, great position play, truly no weakneses. Also a very nice guy.

TX Poolnut
06-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I wish I could play with RS.

Fatboy
06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr. Souquet. Huge break, great position play, truly no weakneses. Also a very nice guy.

thats true and outside of pool, he is a great person. I'm proud to call him a very good friend. His dad is a cue maker too. Ralf lives just outside Munich, but he isnt there much he is on the road just under 300 days/yr-thats ALOT of miles and work. That cant help your game, I bet he would play even better if he didnt have to travel so much, He has told me that schedual is hard on him, different beds, airports, bad food etc. And he still is the man to beat, JA said he thinks Ralf is the player of this Decade-he said that on a online chat(I'm 90% sure I read that).

madfox
06-28-2009, 09:14 AM
thats true and outside of pool, he is a great person. I'm proud to call him a very good friend. His dad is a cue maker too. Ralf lives just outside Munich, but he isnt there much he is on the road just under 300 days/yr-thats ALOT of miles and work. That cant help your game, I bet he would play even better if he didnt have to travel so much, He has told me that schedual is hard on him, different beds, airports, bad food etc. And he still is the man to beat, JA said he thinks Ralf is the player of this Decade-he said that on a online chat(I'm 90% sure I read that).
I agree. I think he is one of the biggest players in the history of the game. I didn't knew his father is a cue maker, maybe I should of ordered cues from him, and not the missing Dave Albrecht !!!

Vahmurka
06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
I didn't know his father is a cuemaker either. Curious how come Ralf doesn't play with those cues, not good enough? Or maybe vice versa his dad believes son is not good enough yet? :D Gonna ask him next time I have a chance

billbOK
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I didn't know his father is a cuemaker either. Curious how come Ralf doesn't play with those cues, not good enough? Or maybe vice versa his dad believes son is not good enough yet? :D Gonna ask him next time I have a chance

Here's a link to a cue from Wolfgang Souquet, Ralf's father. Click HERE (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=94189&highlight=wolfgang+souquet)

madfox
06-30-2009, 02:31 AM
I drew Ralph in the first round of the losers bracket in Dec. 1998,in Reno.Even though I have not played in a lot of high level tournaments, I have had some unbelievable draws in the ones I did play. Corey Duel, Gabe Owens, Jeremy Jones, Kim Davenport, you get the picture. None of them were more dominating than Mr. Souquet. Huge break, great position play, truly no weakneses. Also a very nice guy.

Wow, you have a feel for very good players ! For me it is always a pleasure to play with someone way better than me.