PDA

View Full Version : disease can mess up your game?

Jimbojim
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Hello all, I haven't posted in a long time.

I have been diagnosed that I have a mono-nucleosis and for a couple of months now I can't shoot straight, I can't aim, I don't remember deflection and I don't even remember how I used to stance myself.

This has depressed me more than the fatigue the disease causes. I'm sad and clueless as to what I can do to bring my game up to where it was for a start...improvement for later.

Any mindset you guys can suggest me so I can regain confidence because I'm lost:frown:

Tokyo-dave
06-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I probably can't offer much help because I've never experienced your situation. I can relate however to your frustration because my game tends to go south anytime I have a bad cold that has any affect on my sinus system. I would tend to believe that a sunus condition in my case is just enough to throw off my balance to where I loose my stance and visual perception. I simply don't play when I'm in that kind of shape because there is nothing to be gained but pure frustration. Something might be said for me teaching myself to play under such conditions, but I don't ever see myself in action, or in the finals of the US Open with a sinus infection.
dave

JDB
06-22-2009, 09:02 PM

I have been diagnosed that I have a mono-nucleosis and for a couple of months now I can't shoot straight, I can't aim, I don't remember deflection and I don't even remember how I used to stance myself.

This has depressed me more than the fatigue the disease causes. I'm sad and clueless as to what I can do to bring my game up to where it was for a start...improvement for later.

Any mindset you guys can suggest me so I can regain confidence because I'm lost:frown:

Wow, I am very sorry to hear that. I do know how disease can affect your game. I have rheaumatoid arthritis and when it is active, I cannot play due to either pain or the inability to even form a bridge because my fingers are too swollen. Fortunately, I have been on medication and have not had a serious flare up for quite some time.

I can understand your depression; I can remember taking a bridge head and using that because I could not form bridge with my fingers, wondering if it would be legal in a tournament.

I don't know a lot about mono-nucleosis, but I am assuming that you are on some type of medication to alleviate the symptoms. I would recommend just working through the issues and continue to enjoy the game. As long as you are enjoying the game you will be able to play up to your current fullest capabilities.

Best of luck to you!

ShootingArts
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM

I had mono many years ago. I was working construction at the time and thought I had a nasty cold. I finally decided to go see the doctor when I couldn't get out of bed one morning, too weak. I lost over forty pounds which was far more than I needed to at the time. I was weak as a kitten for six months and it was another six months before I was back to "normal".

Everything about your system is a little out of kilter right now including perception and the mental functions needed to play your best pool. Hard to do but I strongly recommend applying tincture of time. Bang balls around if you miss the pool room but don't get upset about how you are shooting. One fine morning you will wake up and feel like going kick a bear in the ass just because you feel great enough to enjoy the fight. That is when it will be time to go back to serious pool.

Hu

Jimbojim
06-22-2009, 09:11 PM
thanks guys!

Johnnyt
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't know what level you played at before, but I don't think it really matters. I had 2 strokes and 2 heart attacks. I'm 68 yo. The last stroke 5 years ago took most of my game away. When I got healthy enough to get back to the table I found I didn't have a clue what to do anymore. I was a strong "B" player for years and couldn't draw a ball 2' more that 1 out of 10 times. Most of the time the QB jumped the OB and flew off the table. At that point I was back 50+ years to a "D" player. That's how much my pool memory was wiped out with the strokes. I bought basic books on pool, dvd's showing the basics up to advanced, and asked many questions on AZ.

I practiced 3 to 5 hours a day for 6 months and slowly I got back to where I know I'm a "B" player again. I will get to strong "B" player again soon. My goal is to get back to an "A" player on a BB. I know it's easy for me to say you can do whatever you want to do, but I can say it because I lived it and did it. Good luck to you. Johnnyt

Tbeaux
06-22-2009, 09:12 PM

First start taking vitamins B (any and all types), vitamin C, Vitamin E. These are all helpful for memory problems especially the vitamins B and E.

Second find some basic drills to run through that test all the aspects of shotmaking. Identify the specific problem areas and note if it's memory related (like gee I can't remember if it's outside or inside I need on these banks) or just "out of practice". Any memory related stuff you can pick up reading online or just ask here on AZB.

Terry <also has memory related problems.

Jimbojim
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
First start taking vitamins B (any and all types), vitamin C, Vitamin E. These are all helpful for memory problems especially the vitamins B and E.

Second find some basic drills to run through that test all the aspects of shotmaking. Identify the specific problem areas and note if it's memory related (like gee I can't remember if it's outside or inside I need on these banks) or just "out of practice". Any memory related stuff you can pick up reading online or just ask here on AZB.

Terry <also has memory related problems.

The main thing I would say is the lack of feeling comfortable. Can't remember the feel of deflection accurately, can't get comfortable with my legs as if I don't remember exactly how I used to place them or is it because I'm tired and I have become lazy to work it out? I don't know

Tbeaux
06-22-2009, 09:37 PM
The main thing I would say is the lack of feeling comfortable. Can't remember the feel of deflection accurately, can't get comfortable with my legs as if I don't remember exactly how I used to place them or is it because I'm tired and I have become lazy to work it out? I don't know

Ahhh........ that's muscle memory. Wait till the doc gives you the all clear then exercise (light) and do dexterity drills. Go back to the absolute basics of stance and stroke and it will all start coming back. Be patient (not a pun) it'll come slowly at first and then more and more quickly as you regain confidence.

bigshooter
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Mono is terrible, I had it last year, sometimes its all you can do to get out of bed, it can linger awhile, get rest, take vitamins and you will get better.

Matt90
06-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Man Johnny , you have really overcame alot that most take for granted
worse thing that gets me at times is gout .If I eat right I dont have much
to worry about. Great story of what pool means to you ....rep to you sir :thumbup:

I don't know what level you played at before, but I don't think it really matters. I had 2 strokes and 2 heart attacks. I'm 68 yo. The last stroke 5 years ago took most of my game away. When I got healthy enough to get back to the table I found I didn't have a clue what to do anymore. I was a strong "B" player for years and couldn't draw a ball 2' more that 1 out of 10 times. Most of the time the QB jumped the OB and flew off the table. At that point I was back 50+ years to a "D" player. That's how much my pool memory was wiped out with the strokes. I bought basic books on pool, dvd's showing the basics up to advanced, and asked many questions on AZ.

I practiced 3 to 5 hours a day for 6 months and slowly I got back to where I know I'm a "B" player again. I will get to strong "B" player again soon. My goal is to get back to an "A" player on a BB. I know it's easy for me to say you can do whatever you want to do, but I can say it because I lived it and did it. Good luck to you. Johnnyt

powerlineman80
06-23-2009, 12:23 AM
I dont have Mono, but I will share my experience.

I have a spinal disorder and a chest disorder. The spinal causes all the pain so its the worst of the two. The chest disorder my bad game came from all the cortico-steroids they had me on (Prednisone 80mg a day) where I couldnt even focus on the balls in front of me. Instead of cutting the one in the corner, I had to cut 3 ones in the corner. I quit the treatment not because of that but because of other side effects and things came back to me slowly.

Now I shoot like my old self when I'm not hurting real bad. If its days where just my back hurts I can take that pain. But when it starts giving me the muscle spasms in my neck and shoulder and the severe shoulder pain I have to limit myself. Sometimes the pain gets to me as its always with me 24/7 but there is times it triggers my temper because its limiting my shooting and getting my mindset away from the game. But when its actually toned down a bit I can shoot almost as good as I did at 19 (I'm only 29)

pwd72s
06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
Man, what a bunch of sickies we are! Type 2 diabetic here...numb feet. You don't realize how much you rely on the neves of the bottom of your feet for balance until they are gone. At least mono is something you can recover from. Just hang in there...get better. While you're getting better, think about what Johnny T went through. I have zero problems, comparatively speaking.

PROG8R
06-23-2009, 04:40 AM
i had mono many years ago. I was working construction at the time and thought i had a nasty cold. I finally decided to go see the doctor when i couldn't get out of bed one morning, too weak. I lost over forty pounds which was far more than i needed to at the time. I was weak as a kitten for six months and it was another six months before i was back to "normal".

Everything about your system is a little out of kilter right now including perception and the mental functions needed to play your best pool. Hard to do but i strongly recommend applying tincture of time. Bang balls around if you miss the pool room but don't get upset about how you are shooting. one fine morning you will wake up and feel like going kick a bear in the ass just because you feel great enough to enjoy the fight. that is when it will be time to go back to serious pool.

Hu
i likes it!!

NewStroke
06-23-2009, 08:08 AM
I met a player that had a parasite that fed off his corneas and basically turned his eyes to mush. The replaced them with glass eyes and his game went downhill from there.

Since he was a real jerk when he could see, we now move the balls on him or put heavy lead weights in front of his cue just as he is about to take his final stroke. :D

Black-Balled
06-23-2009, 08:38 AM

You must be funny in the head. Mono can be some serious sh.it, some people don't get out of bed when they have it. I would think crappy pool would be an inconvenience at best, given the potential...

That said, I've never had it, but I have played some good pool with a fever before!

Black-Balled
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I had mono many years ago....you will wake up and feel like going kick a bear in the ass just because you feel great enough to enjoy the fight...

Hu

And contrary to the above: Do NOT kick a bear in the ass, regardless of how bold or slippery you feel.

muahahaha!

pro9dg
06-23-2009, 04:55 PM

While not wishing to diminish the seriousness of your condition I think that the only way to overcome your lack of confidence is with the power of your mind. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease almost 18 years ago but I vowed not to let it beat me and it doesn't. I take so many pills that I rattle. But I still play as well (or as badly) as I ever did.

I play tournaments twice a week and I go to them expecting to win. It is a shock to me when I get beaten even by better players. Sometimes I do win - twice already this year and I am planning on winning again tomorrow.

The funny thing is I only win when I am feeling below par. Maybe because it requires a little more concentration.

So think positive - you cannot play well unless you think that you can.

Scott Lee
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
This is the best advice of all!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

So think positive - you cannot play well unless you think that you can

alstl
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Hitting balls will bring your game back. I quit for 35 years until I retired and I'm better now than before.

Jimbojim
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I AM BACK!:cool:

I remember how it feels to play good:)

pwd72s
07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Welcome back...good to know you're feeling better!

Jimbojim
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Thank you very much!

pro9dg
07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I AM BACK!:cool:

I remember how it feels to play good:)

Did you follow my advice then.

frankncali
07-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Man, what a bunch of sickies we are! Type 2 diabetic here...numb feet. You don't realize how much you rely on the neves of the bottom of your feet for balance until they are gone. At least mono is something you can recover from. Just hang in there...get better. While you're getting better, think about what Johnny T went through. I have zero problems, comparatively speaking.

Same here and have been having issues... Doc keeps switching meds and dosages and nothing seems to be working real well. It affects my eyesight alot.
I dont get numb feet but do battle fatigue and plain old fashion feeling like crap.
I have a couple other odd conditions like not absorbing calcium very well at all creating a deficientcy. I now take calcium pills with me in my pool case. Potassium deficient as well. Both combined usually results in leg/foot/torso cramps in the oddest muscles.

Also suffer from lack of stroke, poor alignment, eyes not in position, inability to remember SPF and the occasional chokeitis.

Glendale
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I had mono a few years back. Yes, it sucked. I was exhausted, my throat was swollen, killed everytime I swallowed....couldn't even swallow my own saliva without discomfort. This lasted about month or so.

I'm puzzled though :confused: Are there different kinds of mono? The reason I ask, it didn't bother my pool game at all. Did I have the good kind of mono? I was sick....it sucked....I got over it. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm making light of your situation. I'm just wondering if there're different kinds mono...

Jimbojim
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Did you follow my advice then.

I did actually!

I remembered that I play to enjoy myself and not dig a hole of lack of confidence. I thought a lot about what I could do when I was playing good and that made me realize everything that I wasn't doing right at the moment. I also decided to trust my stroke instead of trying to manufacture a new one...that worked like a charm. I'm playing even better than what I used to before I got sick.

I played yesterday and today and I would break&run about 3 racks per races to 9 consistently....not bad in my book.

Tbeaux
07-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad you're back up and back to normal. Unfortunately I forgot all about this thread so my problems with memory still exist.:o:frown:

PAMike
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I was so happy to find this thread. I have Menieres Disease and it's destroying my game. This thread gives me some hope!

Jimbojim
07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
never give up!

I realized that its hard playing at a good level when all we think about is 'how we used to be so much better before X event' I don't think we should dwell on the past as it only worsens our confidence since we never feel we play the same way ever again. I know its easy to say because I was the very one complaining here because I couldn't play anymore but now that I have gotten out of the slump, its easier to realize this.

Since we play different, we have to approach the game differently and not expecting to make EVERY SHOT we try at first(because we could make them before) but rather be happy for the ones we succeed and build a confidence off of that.

It only takes ONE STROKE to have the juices flowing in that back arm again.

pro9dg
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
I did actually!

I remembered that I play to enjoy myself and not dig a hole of lack of confidence. I thought a lot about what I could do when I was playing good and that made me realize everything that I wasn't doing right at the moment. I also decided to trust my stroke instead of trying to manufacture a new one...that worked like a charm. I'm playing even better than what I used to before I got sick.

I played yesterday and today and I would break&run about 3 racks per races to 9 consistently....not bad in my book.

It made my day knowing that I could help. But it was you Jimbojim that did it!