PDA

View Full Version : Observations from watching wimbledon re: pool

steev
06-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Why aren't pro pool tournaments seeded? If everyone could start agreeing on a world ranking, I think the similarity to tennis would make it easier to understand for 'viewers'. Also, we could use a nice long race (say, to 13, 2-ahead? 3-ahead?) to make the match a nice 'tv viewable' length.

While we're at it, make it single elimination like every other pro sport.

I'm just sayin', random draws (and double elim) just make it harder to follow for 'regular people'. People want to know who the underdog is, it makes watching more fun. And when someone loses, they should go home. No second chances in the pros.

I expect to be flamed here, so have at it.

-s

/$.02

Big Perm
06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Why should you be flamed, sounds like an idea with merit....

Seeding is a good idea....I say seed the first 16.....

Yes, the races need to be longer....say to 21....real battles that fans can get into....

Also, why not mix up the tournies.....10-ball one week, then 8-ball, then 1pkt, then 14.1......everytime pool is on TV, it's either 9-ball or trick shots, it gets boring.....provide some variety....

ESPN could partner with TAR and other groups.....they could stream the lower level matches, charge a very nominal fee that fans can record....pool is a late night sport, why not set up the semis and finals so they can air live Saturday night.....start at 11pm, which won't take away from prime time.....air right after sport center....11pm to let's say 4am....usually, it's just crap on at that time anyway....if people say it's too late, they can Tivo and still watch on Sunday....

jingle
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Why aren't pro pool tournaments seeded? If everyone could start agreeing on a world ranking, I think the similarity to tennis would make it easier to understand for 'viewers'. Also, we could use a nice long race (say, to 13, 2-ahead? 3-ahead?) to make the match a nice 'tv viewable' length.

While we're at it, make it single elimination like every other pro sport.

I'm just sayin', random draws (and double elim) just make it harder to follow for 'regular people'. People want to know who the underdog is, it makes watching more fun. And when someone loses, they should go home. No second chances in the pros.

I expect to be flamed here, so have at it.

-s

/$.02

Your idea might work if they had a unified sanctioning body....but the lack of that seems to be the root of a lot of pro pool's problems (at least for men's pro pool).

billbOK
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Why aren't pro pool tournaments seeded?

Some Pro pool tournaments are already seeded...

Eurotour --> the top 32 are seeded on a 256 players field

World tour--> recently the Philippines Open and the China Open were also seeded based on the actual WPA ranking, top 8 on a 64 players field IIRC.

daddyg
06-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I love tennis and watch it all the time. I think a format like the tennis tournament's use would be great for pool. Have the players seeded and make them play longer races. Single elimination. Race to 9. Best out of 3 sets. It would take longer, but you would get the best players in the finals more often than not and this would help you evaluate where to seed players. That way the top players could possibly make a living playing tournament pool. And by the way, when you watch pool on T.V wouldnt you rather see a Reyes-Archer final than a couple of guys you have hardly ever heard of. Good for T.V. Good for pool.

poolsnark
06-24-2009, 05:56 AM
WPBA seeds to 32 as well. As for the other thing, I'd love to see all these events go to single elimination. It would make the events more exciting, more high stress and would force all the players to bring their best to the table every time they play. Of course this will never happen because the purses are so small and the cost to travel to the events is so large. It seems like there's a bit of a "we can't ask them to travel this far and then give them the boot after one match" mentality.

CreeDo
06-24-2009, 07:32 AM
WPBA seeds to 32 as well. As for the other thing, I'd love to see all these events go to single elimination. It would make the events more exciting, more high stress and would force all the players to bring their best to the table every time they play. Of course this will never happen because the purses are so small and the cost to travel to the events is so large. It seems like there's a bit of a "we can't ask them to travel this far and then give them the boot after one match" mentality.

Pool is also one of the only games where you literally don't have to get a chance to play. Doesn't matter whether I brought my best if I lose a short race with no real chance. That's why this doesn't make sense. It's not a mentality, it's common sense overruling the "let's shorten stuff up to make it exciting for the viewers" mentality (which already is a big enough problem).

I think you'd feel the same way if you had to actually play under these rules rather than just watch.

Jingle's right, we don't have proper seeding because everything's fractured. It's too bad.