PDA

View Full Version : Pocket reducers?

Johnnyt
06-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Anyone own pocket reducers? Do they work? Do they stay tight in the pockets?

I'm going to get a larger table than the 7' Valley that I have now when I can get a steal on one. I don't really want to spend the money to have the rails extended on the Valley and I've read that shims are the wrong way to go because it changes the angle or something. I'd like to shrink the pockets from 4 1/2" to 4 1/4" to get ready for the long shots on an oversize 8' (not enough room for a 9'). Thank you. Johnnyt

eales
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.poolndarts.com/p-5884-Practice-Pro-Pocket-Reducers/

If these are what you are thinking of, they reduce the pocket opening by about an inch. I have some. They stay in place well, but can be removed if the spring interferes with your bridge for a shot.

Jim Eales

Majic
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't like them, but thats me. I had a set and sold them. I use to take them all over with me for practice and people thought I was nuts. They did help me slow my stroke down and helped my aim too.They do stay in the pocket tightly and they are good for shots from the middle of the table,. but going down the rail is a different story. And the rebound form the reducers is weird. I would recommend shimming the pockets if you don't want the expense of extending the rails. They are a cheap alternative for tightening pockets for pracitce, but you wouldnt want to play any games using them.

Johnnyt
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Thank you both for the replys. I think I'll try the shims. Johnnyt

Scaramouche
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
What Majic said.

I prefer Randy G's trick. Just put two coins in the mouth of the pocket. If the ball runs over a coin you didn't hit the middle of the pocket.

poolhustler
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I've never used them, but they look kinda hokey!

To tighten any pocket, just bet higher!! :smile:

Johnnyt
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I've never used them, but they look kinda hokey!

To tighten any pocket, just bet higher!! :smile:
I agree they look kind of flimsy. The only thing that tightens on me when I bet high is my ass. Johnnyt

poolhustler
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I agree they look kind of flimsy. The only thing that tightens on me when I bet high is my ass. Johnnyt

Pucker Power!!!!!!

:D

Majic
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I still have 2 of those things layin around. I'll send them out to you if you want to give them a try. Just need your address.

Johnnyt
06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I still have 2 of those things layin around. I'll send them out to you if you want to give them a try. Just need your address.

Kind of you but I'm going with the table mechanic put shims on. Thank you though for the offer. Johnnyt

Dartman
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM

I'm going to get a larger table than the 7' Valley that I have now when I can get a steal on one. I don't really want to spend the money to have the rails extended on the Valley and I've read that shims are the wrong way to go because it changes the angle or something. I'd like to shrink the pockets from 4 1/2" to 4 1/4" to get ready for the long shots on an oversize 8' (not enough room for a 9'). Thank you. Johnnyt

I responded to your "laugher" thread but will give you a tip here -
Standard facings are .0125" (3.2mm)
Rather then add a facing (hack job) replace them with 5.5mm facings (.022")which gets you real close to 4.25" corner pockets.

Johnnyt
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I responded to your "laugher" thread but will give you a tip here -
Standard facings are .0125" (3.2mm)
Rather then add a facing (hack job) replace them with 5.5mm facings (.022")which gets you real close to 4.25" corner pockets.

Thank you Dartman...that sounds like a winner. Johnnyt

Majic
06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you Dartman...that sounds like a winner. Johnnyt

Yup Dartman is THE MAN..bank on it:thumbup:

mnorwood
06-23-2009, 04:56 PM

I have some, yes they work and they do stay tight. I believe that they have helped my ball pocketing ability.

Marcus

catscradle
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM

I had some, I don't think they are worth much. All you can practice with them is dead center shots. Shots down the rail are virtually impossible, not due to the width of the pocket, but due to the shape and material of the pocket reducers.
There was a thread here years ago about replacing the green rubber triangles with pieces of rubber cut from a hard rubber sewer pipe collar. I tried that and it worked much better because it reduced the gap, but didn't make the shots as unnatural. I search for the thread but couldn't find it. I've attached pictures of one of them so you have an idea what I'm talking about. Notice also that I put the pocket reducers in upside down so that the spring portion doesn't interfere if I have to shoot over the pocket.
My pockets are already triple shimmed (4 1/8 to 4 1/4) so they are really reduced with the reducers in.
Good luck.

JE54
06-25-2009, 04:49 AM
I didn't care for them for some of the reasons mentioned.

I never saw them done like the post above mine. I might see if I stiil have the ones I had and see about changing the rubber.

gobrian77
06-25-2009, 05:22 AM
If you get a set of the spring-loaded ones, apply them CAREFULLY- I almost lost an eye when a set I hadn't seated properly popped out with mousetrap force and speed and hit me in the face.:eek:

Don't think I've used 'em since that day...:o

JE54
06-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Good point.........

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
They aren't for everybody. I use them every day. They make the pockets tight, but some shots are just impossible and won't go no matter how soft you hit the shot. I don't worry about the balls being rejected as long as I am hitting the rubber bumpers. I shoot with them for about an hour or so, and then take them off. After that, the pockets are like the grand canyon.

They can be frustrating to deal with, but for me, they serve their purpose.