PDA

View Full Version : How does a cue play?

SCCues
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Here's a question:

Have you ever heard anyone say that their cue plays bad (with the condition that everything is tight and in good shape)? Especially if they are trying to sell it. How many times have you read "this is the best playing cue i've ever had and I hate to sell it".

I've never heard anyone say their cue plays bad. I have heard comments like this cue is too heavy or too light, but never my cue plays terrible.

I just thought i'd ask this question to hear what some others say or have heard people say about their cue.

James

Shaft
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
You make a good point, but there are all kinds of reasons for wanting to sell a cue.

I might want to upgrade, or to try something different. I have no need for a cue that is my second or third player, so why not sell it? That does not mean it plays badly. It just means I can use the cash.

Of course, no one will bad mouth any cue they are trying to sell, even if it stinks. Caveat emptor.

joeboxer
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's a question:

Have you ever heard anyone say that their cue plays bad (with the condition that everything is tight and in good shape)? Especially if they are trying to sell it. How many times have you read "this is the best playing cue i've ever had and I hate to sell it".

I've never heard anyone say their cue plays bad. I have heard comments like this cue is too heavy or too light, but never my cue plays terrible.

I just thought i'd ask this question to hear what some others say or have heard people say about their cue.

James

Youre never gonna hear those 2 statements in the same thread if its a for sale thread. "The cue plays bad/terrible", and "Its for sale". Thats just how it is.

SCCues
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Youre never gonna hear those 2 statements in the same thread if its a for sale thread. "The cue plays bad/terrible", and "Its for sale". Thats just how it is.

I've picked up different cues that belonged to friends and hit a ball or two with them and I thought to myself "How do they play with those cues?". If you get used to a cue then it suits you and feels good and if someone else picks it up it will feel strange at first.

I guess the correct way to say it is all cues play well just some play a lot better than others!!!!!!

James

TheBook
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I have played with a cue that a friend bought. Couldn't believe how bad it felt. Can't say that it played bad because it is the player and not the cue.

Everyone that tried it couldn't believe that the cue by such a highly deisred maker felt so bad. He tried to sell it but everytime someone tried it they back away. The only way that the cue can be sold is over the internet because it just has a bad feel to it. I have seen that cue for sale many times on this forum and amazingly it has increased in price every time. I just seen that cue listed again for a little more than $5000.

Guess what. It is listed as a great player.

maldito
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
There are times when you read "best hitting cue I ever owned" and if this person is a pool player you feel like saying "why the fuxk do you want to sell it??" but you can't kill someones attempt to unload merchandise when buy online you take your chances.

SCCues
06-26-2009, 05:58 AM
I have played with a cue that a friend bought. Couldn't believe how bad it felt. Can't say that it played bad because it is the player and not the cue.

Everyone that tried it couldn't believe that the cue by such a highly deisred maker felt so bad. He tried to sell it but everytime someone tried it they back away. The only way that the cue can be sold is over the internet because it just has a bad feel to it. I have seen that cue for sale many times on this forum and amazingly it has increased in price every time. I just seen that cue listed again for a little more than $5000.

There's no way to try a cue out when you buy it from an internet sale and it's a risk that i've taken many times. When a seller says "It is a great player" you have to take his word for it and this is a wide open statement. A cue that you think feels bad may feel great to me.

James

jhendri2
06-26-2009, 06:41 AM
I traded a cue to a gentleman very recently and told him that I couldn't get used to it and was having trouble making balls with it. He got it and ran 43 in straight pool first run out of the gate. I guess that's why they say hit is very subjective. I have traded/sold some very good hitting cues. I just love trying new ones out while trying to be as honest as I can.

Jim

rayjay
06-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I have several cues that are really good players. I do have my favorites and I consider them great players. If I sell one, that's how I'll describe it.
:p

SCCues
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I traded a cue to a gentleman very recently and told him that I couldn't get used to it and was having trouble making balls with it. He got it and ran 43 in straight pool first run out of the gate. I guess that's why they say hit is very subjective. I have traded/sold some very good hitting cues. I just love trying new ones out while trying to be as honest as I can.

Jim

I've been lucky when I say i've never owned a cue that I thought played terrible, but i've had a couple of cues that I thought played as good as any you'll ever play with. For one reason or another I sold the cues that I thought played so well to try other cues thinking i'd find a cue that played better. I'm still looking for one that plays better than my favorites of the cues i've owned.

When I first started buying custom cues I didn't know what I liked in a cue and the only way to find out was to try different cues from different cue makers with different joint styles and shaft tapers. I think i've finally figured out what I like in a cue (looks and playability) through a lot of trial and error.

James

poohkiller
06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I know a guy who said that his cue played bad - after he couldn't get used to it after a couple of days.

I got the cue for him from AZB, the cue was as described and in perfect shape and the whole deal went fine.
So the cue arrived, it looked really great - it was an Predator LE-11 by Mezz and it was one of The Worst Cues I have ever played. It was awful. The butt felt like its weight was 1 million ounces with shafts that are 9 mm wide.

Naturally, it was around 19 with 12.75 mm shafts.

The point is that the owner himself admitted that it was useless. I went on to try it as I couldn't believe something can be this horrible for such a price and it really was awful.

On the other hand I bought my Capone from AZB as well without ever trying it and it was... guess what... the best playing cue ever :D Seriously.

Yet, I am doing what James said he was doing: trying out more and more cues with different joint styles from different makers to find something that is even better than the other.

Tommyd1
06-26-2009, 03:42 PM

But it needs a refinish ;)

KillerCane
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
in my opinion no cue plays bad. because the worst hitting cue in joe's hands is the best playing cue in john's. ive seen people get beat by a broomstick. i think my shon plays like crap because it has a steel joint. i hate steel joints. but anyone else that uses my cue loves it. personally myfavorite joint right now is a moosehorn. ivory is a verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy close second. but they both have to have a radial pin. no brass/metal inserts. and the next guy will tell you that setup plays like crap. has to be a steel joint with a steel insert. jmho

KillerCane
06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
bump for the mid day

poolplayer2093
07-03-2009, 05:40 AM
i've heard someone say "this cue plays terrible" but only in person. i think people are careful about saying stuff like that online because it effects how someone makes their cash....feeds their family, pays their bills and so on

Ken_4fun
07-03-2009, 06:00 AM
I have said it about my cues...and have heard it from others. I have said that the cue I am selling is too light, too heavy, not balanced for me, didnt like the hit. An example is a Omega/dpk cue that I had. I loved the look and the workmanship, but those shafts taper was terrible FOR ME. That ended my desire for Bender or Omega cues, I mean really hated and could never get used to them. The butt was the best Omega/dpk I had ever seen and the shaftwood was incredible, but that taper .... ugh!

Really, I think most try to help and are honest.

Examples?

"Hits like a Scruggs" or "Southwest", frankly, and JMO, taper and shafts have more to do with it than most any other thing.

I know how most cuemakers cues play, and that is why I really want full sized shafts because it takes a huge variable out it. You see some folks selling cues that they have had the shafts turned down and some are at freaking pencils!

I usually have my tips (Moori Soft, or other layered soft tip) added on any cue that I intend to play with much, on those I am flipping I dont do that.

I always offer a full satisfaction money back on ALL cues I sell, less shipping costs. I wish this was the standard here but it isnt. I did get a little pissed when it was said above that "never see bad or a negative with "for sale" for me that just isnt true.

JMO

Ken