PDA

View Full Version : Tip/Shaft "matching"

BillPorter
06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Ever get a new cue and find that the "hit" was harder than you liked? It could be that a softer tip would make the cue feel and sound just right.

Most of us who have gone through numerous cues through the years have learned that changing the tip can make all the difference. I've gotten cues that had a real bad hit and just didn't feel solid at all. Sometimes it was a loose weight bolt, but most often it was a tip that was either not properly installed or defective. I have had tips that were so spongy that it felt like you were playing with a rubber eraser on the end of your cue. And many tips that, when you replaced them, you could see that the tip was only partially attached to the ferrule. Putting on a decent tip often turned a poor hitting cue into a good one.

But back to the idea of "matching" a tip to a shaft. I have found that whereas I would not normally use a tip as soft as an Elk Master, I have one cue that plays very well with that tip. I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is worth experimenting with a few different tips on a particular shaft to see what will work best.

McChen
06-23-2009, 10:34 PM
absolutely agree with you bill, the tip makes a huge difference! a cue can go from absolutely crap to great with the right tip and vice versa. of course not in all cases, but i've found (like you) that you shouldn't judge a cue until you play with the tip a little