PDA

View Full Version : Do/Can you jump with your playing cue?

XxMerlinxX
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Just wondering how many people actually use their playing cue to jump with? Personally, I don't, I have a jump cue that I like to use. I've tried jumping with house sticks and I just can't seem to get it. I've even tried using my new SP, which has a fairly hard tip on it, and I can't do it. I've only tried a few times, but I'm fairly sure it would take me a LOT of practice just to get the ball off the felt, much less over another ball. I also don't like subjecting my playing cue to that kind of abuse, I feel it puts extra wear and tear on the cue.

manwon
06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Just wondering how many people actually use their playing cue to jump with? Personally, I don't, I have a jump cue that I like to use. I've tried jumping with house sticks and I just can't seem to get it. I've even tried using my new SP, which has a fairly hard tip on it, and I can't do it. I've only tried a few times, but I'm fairly sure it would take me a LOT of practice just to get the ball off the felt, much less over another ball. I also don't like subjecting my playing cue to that kind of abuse, I feel it puts extra wear and tear on the cue.

Pretty easy stuff, there really is no differance for me personally!!!!!!!!

joeboxer
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM

joeboxer
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Same here...........but i do love pie!!!!!!!!!

asn130
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
i learned to jump with my playing cue back in the early 90's when i first started playing. I used to be able to jump with a full cue better than i can with a jump cue now. Meaning that i just didn't jump the ball, but i was playing shape as well, using top, follow & sidespin.

Now, i'll pretty much hit the ball with my jump cue & i'm lucky if i make it. Shape is up to chance.

I think the invention of the phenolic tip has made us lazy. I know that a long time ago the only ones you saw jumping with a full cue were guys with powerfull, straight strokes.....

Now, any goofball with a jump cue can jump like the General Lee......even if they can't run 3 balls.

XxMerlinxX
06-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't know what my problem is then. Maybe I'm just not putting as much speed behind the shot as there needs to be, or maybe I'm changing the angle at the last second? I'll have to try it again today to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Big Perm
06-24-2009, 08:43 AM

What he said, I can easily jump at least 3/4 a ball....the one thing I can't do is the full ball at just 4 inches away.....but I believe kicking can be just as advantageous, if not more....

dr2112
06-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I use my break cue with a water buffalo tip to jump with when I have to. Prevents damaging playing cue tip. Also my break cue is a bit shorter and easier to get on top of.

Cue Guru
06-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I can't do it with my Richard Black.

I can do it with the one I made (with the Joss shaft), but only 1/2 a ball- not a full ball jump (and in that case I would kick, or play safe). Have not tried to jump with my shaft and butt yet, but the shaft I made is too stiff right now anyway... It needs more TLC!

I have the Mace, which jumps well (when broken into a jump cue) but leagues don't allow it any longer, so when I do feel the need for a bit of altitude, I just use a full cue- it avoids the questions that a jump cue can often arouse.... Jump 1/2 ball and keep shooting. 9 out of 10 times the other player is not watching anyway.;)

PS I also like pie. Apple and Cherry for me please!

Sam Waltz
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I shoot with her...
Jump with her...
Kick with her...
Even break with her...
Yep, my cue and I are faithful to one another and I wouldn't part with her
for anything! A good cue is hard to come by, but when ya find the right
one it makes ya SMILE and think happy thoughts! :thumbup:

Psst...MMMMM pie! :)

macguy
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Anyone who says they can jump with their playing cue easily are just plain lying. They may be able to accomplice a jump in just the right situation, but that is about it. The cue ball comes off the table with so much velocity half they time they are lucky to keep it on the table much less accomplish a controlled jump. At best they can jump a whole ball and maybe hit the object ball the length of the table away but that is about it.

Donny
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM

I don't know why anybody in their right mind would jump with a full length cue instead of a jump cue unless the jump cue is not allowed. I've been screwed by that rule in the APA a few times against good 7s and 8s who ran racks on me. I could've made an easy hit with the jump cue but had to go for some impossible kick instead.

If you have a full length jump break cue with a phenolic tip or a phenolic tip ferrule combo, it's a lot easier to jump with a full length cue. My sledgehammer break cue has 2 shafts, 1 with a leather tip and 1 with a the phenolic tip ferrule combo (the original shaft). The leather tip is practically useless for jumping at least for me but breaks a little better, but the phenolic tip ferrule jumps really well. I was able to jump a full ball and draw 1/2 the length of the table when I practiced jumping with it a few weeks ago.

Donny
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Anyone who says they can jump with their playing cue easily are just plain lying. They may be able to accomplice a jump in just the right situation, but that is about it. The cue ball comes off the table with so much velocity half they time they are lucky to keep it on the table much less accomplish a controlled jump. At best they can jump a whole ball and maybe hit the object ball the length of the table away but that is about it.

I can jump with a full length cue (my break cue) fairly easily on most shots. The only shots where it's difficult or impossible are when the cue ball is real close to the ball I'm trying to jump over. It's a lot easier with a jump cue but most are not to hard to jump with a full length cue if you practice them.

nathandumoulin
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I'll only jump a 1/4 or 1/3rd of a ball, and it needs to be at least a foot away from the cue ball. Otherwise I feel kicking is the better option.

Apocalypse2017
06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a Jump cue, A jump/break, and my playing cue. I will use my playing cue to jump with for the easier shots. But if I have to get over a ball that's close then I use my smaller jump cue:cool:

supergreenman
06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
As some people noted before me, it's easier to jump with some full cues than others. My old Duffrin sneaky pete was great for jumping, with my Viking I wouldn't try to jump more than 3/4 of a ball. I don't know about my McDermmot as I don't recall jumping with it.

I like pie but I think knowing how to kick is very important too.

I also watch Southpark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShootingRazbone
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
i learned to jump with my playing cue back in the early 90's when i first started playing. I used to be able to jump with a full cue better than i can with a jump cue now. Meaning that i just didn't jump the ball, but i was playing shape as well, using top, follow & sidespin.

Now, i'll pretty much hit the ball with my jump cue & i'm lucky if i make it. Shape is up to chance.

I think the invention of the phenolic tip has made us lazy. I know that a long time ago the only ones you saw jumping with a full cue were guys with powerfull, straight strokes.....

Now, any goofball with a jump cue can jump like the General Lee......even if they can't run 3 balls.

Then what difference does it make whether they jump one on you... you obviously will get another shot then.

When there are at least a few better options to jump with other than your playing cue ....why jump with your playing cue?

Like to see a 5k 10 ahead match and you try to jump with your playing cue and snap.... ferrule chips or breaks ..... what then????

Shawn Armstrong
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM

This is why I hate the jump cue. People talk about the jump cue just augmenting player's skills. In this scenario, it IS the arrow and not the indian. I know a lot of players that do not have the stroke to jump over balls with a full length cue. I happened to practice this, and know how to shoot a full length cue jump shot. Can I do it with a full blocker 6" away? Hell, no. That skill is all but gone now. Players can buy the pogo sticks and jump nearly as proficiently as me in less than 5 minutes. It's a bought skill, and should be gone from the game. I have no problem with jump shots, but 40" jump cues have to go. People can jump balls with a chalk width's space. Just how good a hook do I have to play now to get ball in hand? This is retarded - put a guy 2" behind a blocker, and that would now be considered a marginal safety by players that own jump cues.

catpool9
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM

I've seen some good players that have "total control" of their full length cue, jump shots, it's not as uncommon as you think!

David Harcrow

Shawn Armstrong
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Your comment highlights the ignorance of the jump cue mentality. There used to be times where players had to play situational shots. The blocker was too close, so they had to kick. The blocker was too far away, so again, they had to play a kick. Sometimes it was just the right distance away, and a jump shot with a full length cue was the right choice, IF you had that shot in you. Now, we just buy the prop. 98 times out of 100 you have a straight line to the blocker - all you need to do is hop the blocker. Jump kicks? No problem. They are 99% of the time a single rail kick shot, so you don't even need to know multiple rail kick shots. The best kickers used to win. It wasn't uncommon to see Earl, Efren, Mike Sigel, Johnny or Francisco in the winner's circle multiple times per year. It rarely happens now. I view the jump cue as a suckout on the river in holdem. You really should have lost, and it took an abomination happening for you to win.

Da Bank
06-24-2009, 11:06 AM
i can jump with my playing cue for longer shots, but I greatly prefer to do it with my jump cue. Only will I jump with my playing cue if its the only cue I have.

Andrew Henson
06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I can jump with my break cue, phenolic tipped, and a jump cue. I can't with any cue that I shoot with, all predator shafts.

manwon
06-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Maybe you need to improve your stroke, because like I said before for me there is really no difference. So please don't be so negative just because you can't control the rock!!!!!!!;)

macguy
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Your comment highlights the ignorance of the jump cue mentality. There used to be times where players had to play situational shots. The blocker was too close, so they had to kick. The blocker was too far away, so again, they had to play a kick. Sometimes it was just the right distance away, and a jump shot with a full length cue was the right choice, IF you had that shot in you. Now, we just buy the prop. 98 times out of 100 you have a straight line to the blocker - all you need to do is hop the blocker. Jump kicks? No problem. They are 99% of the time a single rail kick shot, so you don't even need to know multiple rail kick shots. The best kickers used to win. It wasn't uncommon to see Earl, Efren, Mike Sigel, Johnny or Francisco in the winner's circle multiple times per year. It rarely happens now. I view the jump cue as a suckout on the river in holdem. You really should have lost, and it took an abomination happening for you to win.
Don't jump on me, I would be happy if we went back to push out and got rid of ball in hand.
I have no dog in this fight, I was just point out the obvious that those that say they can jump with a playing cue "Easily" implying, just as good as with a jump cue, are not telling the truth.

macguy
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe you need to improve your stroke, because like I said before for me there is really no difference. So please don't be so negative just because you can't control the rock!!!!!!!;)

No Difference, you can jump just as well with the cue you play with and the tip you play with as well as with a jump cue? I am afraid you are not being completely honest.

I can jump with a whole cue as good as anyone on the planet but I am not delusional. I can't do a fraction of what I can do with a jump cue. Sorry.

stormshadow1
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I can jump with my playing cue with good results if I have to.I prefer to kick if possible.I think the best example of player who jumps great with their playing cue is Earl "The Pearl"Strickland.His story with Luther Lassister and his jump shot is classic.As far as banning jump cues. I don't think anything that was not around at the beginning of the game should be allowed.It doesn't bother me either way when my opponent uses one it is just personal preference. :cool:

manwon
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
No Difference, you can jump just as well with the cue you play with and the tip you play with as well as with a jump cue? I am afraid you are not being completely honest.

I can jump with a whole cue as good as anyone on the planet but I am not delusional. I can't do a fraction of what I can do with a jump cue. Sorry.

I respect your comments, but again just because you can't jump as well with your playing doesn't mean others are effected the same way you are. I don't know why your ability to jump is diminished with your playing cue, but I suspect that it is the normal tips you prefer to play with. I prefer a very very hard tip, in fact I specially treat and press them myself, while they are not as hard as Phenolic they are certainly as firm as you can get.

Only you know where your problem lyes, however, until you correct the problem you are having you certainly can't say that you jump as well as anyone on the Planet, and that statement is certainly not delusional!!

Take care

KillerCane
06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
pie..............

macguy
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I respect your comments, but again just because you can't jump as well with your playing doesn't mean others are effected the same way you are. I don't know why your ability to jump is diminished with your playing cue, but I suspect that it is the normal tips you prefer to play with. I prefer a very very hard tip, in fact I specially treat and press them myself, while they are not as hard as Phenolic they are certainly as firm as you can get.

Only you know where your problem lyes, however, until you correct the problem you are having you certainly can't say that you jump as well as anyone on the Planet, and that statement is certainly not delusional!!

Take care
Point me to even one video clip, maybe on youtube, of someone jumping with a full length cue of say 19 or 20 ounces doing any of the things you can do with a jump cue. I want to see them make even a simple across the table jump and pocket a ball in the side like you can with a jump cue. With a jump cue you can gently hop the blocking ball and trickle up to object ball pocketing it like it is nothing. With a standard 19 ounces cue you will send the cue ball off the table in most cases. Rafael martinez used to jump great with a full length cue and people often sight that as jumping with a playing cue. If you know him and picked up the cue you will discover the cue is about 8 ounces and not really a standard cue. Pat Fleming had one like that as well he fooled people with. They didn't know it was really a 57 inch jump cue. I don't get what the argument is here? You are completely wrong. No one can do with a playing cue what can be done with a jump cue, thats crazy. Let me see it on tape.

ARROWCRUSHER
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Yet another thread ,where people hate jump cue's !! Someone said who ever jump's has no shape on their next shot or position, well i totally agree sometimes with that , but as far as kicking! I bet that the average person on here that is against jump cue's can not come up with position on their kicks either , just as on jump shot's you never exactly know where that cue ball is going to stop. On a kick on certain shots !!!!!

td873
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know why your ability to jump is diminished with your playing cue, but I suspect that it is the normal tips you prefer to play with. I prefer a very very hard tip, in fact I specially treat and press them myself, while they are not as hard as Phenolic they are certainly as firm as you can get.

It is much harder to jump with the same degree of accuracy or proficiency with your playing cue - mostly due to the extra weight at the butt end. It's harder to aim and overall harder to handle the cue. Feel free to set up a test to confim: jump interfering balls at varying distances with both cues: 2", 3", 4", 6", 12", 18", 24", 36". It's much easier to jump the close balls with the jump cue. Ergo, ability diminished when jumping with a playing cue for certain shots. In fact, I'd like to see the video of anyone (pro or otherwise) that has jumped over a ball 2" away with their playing cue...

I would venture to say that almost no one can jump as proficiently with their playing cue as they can with a jump cue. If it were so, they would have been doing it long ago - and would still be doing it today. And believe it or not, there are things you can do with a jump cue you cannot do with your playing cue. The converse is true as well.

-td

Shawn Armstrong
06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Point me to even one video clip, maybe on youtube, of someone jumping with a full length cue of say 19 or 20 ounces doing any of the things you can do with a jump cue. I want to see them make even a simple across the table jump and pocket a ball in the side like you can with a jump cue. With a jump cue you can gently hop the blocking ball and trickle up to object ball pocketing it like it is nothing. With a standard 19 ounces cue you will send the cue ball off the table in most cases. Rafael martinez used to jump great with a full length cue and people often sight that as jumping with a playing cue. If you know him and picked up the cue you will discover the cue is about 8 ounces and not really a standard cue. Pat Fleming had one like that as well he fooled people with. They didn't know it was really a 57 inch jump cue. I don't get what the argument is here? You are completely wrong. No one can do with a playing cue what can be done with a jump cue, thats crazy. Let me see it on tape.

The question in this poll wasn't if you could jump balls with your playing cue as easily as you could with a jump cue. The question was are you able to jump balls with your full length playing cue. There are a bunch of players that can easily jump balls with a playing cue. They aren't saying that when they're behind a ball that is 3" in front of us, they just jack up with their player and hop out of it. Some people don't need or use a jump cue. I don't carry one. I know which jump shots I can make, and which ones I can't. Pool was never meant to be played in 3 dimensions. The surface is dead level, therefore I'm going to suggest that the inventors of the game felt it should be played on a horizontal plane. If you want to play in a vertical plane, take up golf. They have all sorts of wonderful creations in that sport for making white balls go airborne.

Ball in hand rules are fine. Let's just get rid of the stupid mini cue. The only people that should be allowed to use a 40" cue must be 5 years old or less. If you need to shoot a jump shot, no going back to the bag and grabbing a different cue. Use your playing cue to get out of trouble. I hooked you with my playing cue. The least you could do in return is try to get out of it with yours.

Shawn Armstrong
06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
In fact, I'd like to see the video of anyone (pro or otherwise) that has jumped over a ball 2" away with their playing cue...

I would venture to say that almost no one can jump as proficiently with their playing cue as they can with a jump cue. -td

This is precisely why the jump cue should never have been allowed into the game. There USED to be a day when putting someone 2" away from the blocking ball would be considered a good hook. There were times when you used to sacrifice being tight to a blocker to cut off certain angles on the kick shot. Now, we're made to pretty much stiff the cueball to a blocking ball, otherwise mini me can come out of the bag and save the other guy.

Equipment should be made to augment a player's abilities, not give him an ability he didn't have before he bought the equipment. With the old leather tipped jump cues, you still had to have some technique. With the new phenolic tipped jump cues, any monkey with $60 and 5 minutes of spare time can learn the necessary skills to jump with most anyone. Will they be world class? No. Is there an art to jumping? Yes. However, when someone can gain that kind of skill in minutes, there's something wrong with that device being allowed into pool.

For all you techno junkies, I'll bring up your beloved golf analogies. There are a multitude of balls on the market. You can buy balls that reduce your slice. Those balls usually are very hard in nature, and also have a slick face to reduce sidespin on the ball. They fly straight. They also won't spin backwards worth a darn. So, even though the ball flies straighter off the tee, the ball won't stop on the green. If you are an honest golfer, you can't switch balls during the hole, unless it's damaged, or you want to take the penalty. So, if you decide to play the gimmick balls, you benefit, but also pay for your choices. Pool should be no different. I liked when some of the leagues used to have the rule that if you used a jump cue, you had to finish the rack with it. Those runouts were priceless - wish I got some of those on tape - they'd be a hoot on YouTube.

Black Cat 5791
06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
This is why I hate the jump cue. People talk about the jump cue just augmenting player's skills. In this scenario, it IS the arrow and not the indian. I know a lot of players that do not have the stroke to jump over balls with a full length cue. I happened to practice this, and know how to shoot a full length cue jump shot. Can I do it with a full blocker 6" away? Hell, no. That skill is all but gone now. Players can buy the pogo sticks and jump nearly as proficiently as me in less than 5 minutes. It's a bought skill, and should be gone from the game. I have no problem with jump shots, but 40" jump cues have to go. People can jump balls with a chalk width's space. Just how good a hook do I have to play now to get ball in hand? This is retarded - put a guy 2" behind a blocker, and that would now be considered a marginal safety by players that own jump cues.

And, your point is? My answer to that is learn to play jam up safties. I for one for the life of me can't execute a full length cue jump. However, I do own a jump cue that I use extremely well. I also know a lot of people who own Jump Cues who can't jump at all, so it's not so automatic as you state.

Just my honest opinion. Black Cat

td873
06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Pool was never meant to be played in 3 dimensions. The surface is dead level, therefore I'm going to suggest that the inventors of the game felt it should be played on a horizontal plane.
If this mentality was true, we would still be playing with maces on tables with no pockets and no cloth. The inventors of the game didn't contemplate many things we take for granted today. Where would we be if people challenged and then prohibited every new innovation. Say for example, cloth, chalk, leather tips, ivory balls, plastic balls, phenolic balls, or electric lights? What about pointed pockets, two piece cues, applying english, or women playing?

Times change. Technology evolves. Hold on to the past too long and the present passes you by.

Besides, if you really advocated a 2 dimensional game, you would lobby for a rule change that the cue ball can't leave the bed of the table at all. But wait, 3 dimensions are OK, but only if you use a full length cue. So it has nothing to do with 2 dimensions at all. Just technology that makes the third one easier to come by. So we're back to the whole innovation thing again...

-td

9-ball B
06-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Knowing how to jump with your full cue is very helpful in a lot of situations. If jump cues are not allowed,you will have a huge advantage. I will still use my full cue if i need to make the shot and draw the cueball quite a ways especially. True, a good jump cue will make almost all jump shots a lot easier and controlled,but being able to do both is very handy.

td873
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Equipment should be made to augment a player's abilities, not give him an ability he didn't have before he bought the equipment. ... Will they be world class? No. ... when someone can gain that kind of skill in minutes, there's something wrong with that device being allowed into pool.

If you can't beat a hack using his jump cue, you couldn't beat him not using it. It's not the jump cue...

-td

macguy
06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Knowing how to jump with your full cue is very helpful in a lot of situations. If jump cues are not allowed,you will have a huge advantage. I will still use my full cue if i need to make the shot and draw the cueball quite a ways especially. True, a good jump cue will make almost all jump shots a lot easier and controlled,but being able to do both is very handy.

In all honestly if the jump cue is to be eliminated the jump shot should be done away with all together. You can't have average players jumping with their playing cues any more then doing full masse shots. In fact it is worse. They will be sailing the cue balls all over the room. The jump cue produces a nice controlled shot that is not detrimental to anything. A jump cue can make beautiful little hops that when done correctly add another dimension to the game. But like I said in another post, I would prefer to go all the way back to push out and forget the jump shot as well as ball in hand. There is nothing worse in the game today then the cheap wins produced by ball in hand.
The jump cue is nothing compared to the horror of ball in hand. That is one of the worse things to ever happen to the game. Professionals players just picking up the cue ball and putting it anywhere on the table they want. Are you kidding me. But that is a whole other subject. In fact, the jump cue may have done a little to neutralize the silliness ball in hand.

ARROWCRUSHER
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the guys that have the problems with jump cue's lost their lunch money one to many times to a 5 year old as the one post stated ,and doesn't want it to happen any more !!!!guess all the rules should change back to the invention of the game and NO one come up with any thing new, or any thing different cause some will not be able to cope with it !!:d SOME HACK !!!

manwon
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM

First never forget, not everyone plays with 19 or 20 oz cue, many cues I build for players are lighter than 19 or 20 oz, in fact I build some cues as light as 16 oz. As for the argument there isn't one in my opinion, only a difference of opinion.

You have every right to your opinion even if it is wrong, and that is fine with me.

All I can say for a fact is the Phenolic Tips will soon be history, now that is not to say that Jump cues with leather tips will also be outlawed. But, the fact remains without Phenolic tips many people will be disabled and Jump cues well they may not be all they are cracked up to be!!!!!!!;)

asn130
06-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Then what difference does it make whether they jump one on you... you obviously will get another shot then.

When there are at least a few better options to jump with other than your playing cue ....why jump with your playing cue?

Like to see a 5k 10 ahead match and you try to jump with your playing cue and snap.... ferrule chips or breaks ..... what then????

I used to practice full masse shots for hours at a time where i'm hitting down on the ball just about as hard as i can.....never chipped a ferrule. (it was an old barbox in a bowling alley)

I've miscued on shots i was hitting at warp speed about a thousand times....never chipped a ferrule.

I've probably jumped at least a thousand balls with my playing cue & NEVER chipped a ferrule or had a tip explode.

Maybe it's because i've never played a set for 5k. Maybe that magnifies the pressure at the tip of the cue & causes the molecular bonds to weaken. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

XxMerlinxX
06-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Lol, are you saying it's impossible to damage a ferrule? Maybe you just don't hit as hard as you think you do.

asn130
06-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Lol, are you saying it's impossible to damage a ferrule? Maybe you just don't hit as hard as you think you do.

hehe...no i'm not saying you can't damage one (i've cracked plenty of them).

Just saying that i've never incurred any damage to my playing cue by jumping a ball. :D

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 04:51 AM
And, your point is? My answer to that is learn to play jam up safties. Just my honest opinion. Black Cat

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55847690

I guess he should have froze the balls together, right? Yep, marginal safety at best.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Other pool inventions that belong with the jump cue:

1. The jump rod - we shouldn't penalize short players. They have just as much right to be able to jump the ball as tall players.

2. Finger extensions - Earl Strickland was onto something. I'd love to be able to jack up over balls with those - wouldn't be as ackward, and technology would allow me to do this.

3. Laser pointer guide inside the tip of the pool cue - as I'm getting older, my sight isn't as good as it used to be on the long shots. I shouldn't be hindered in my playing ability, as the technology is there to help me with long shots.

4. Numbered diamonds on the table, and their corresponding 2nd and 3rd diamonds - people shouldn't be hindered by having to learn the diamond system. The technology is there that we could correlate the diamonds to where the cueball will end up. Maybe even draw some track lines on the table. We should give players these lines - they still have to actually HIT the shot, which is the true challenge, right?

5. Bigger pockets - if we want more people to play pool, we should really make the pockets 6" or larger. That would make everyone better, because we shouldn't hinder people from being better if the technology is there to make the game easier.

6. New rule on hooks - if the player doesn't have a jump cue, they get to move the cueball a little farther away from the blocker as to be able to play an easier kick. After all, we shouldn't punish a player because they can't afford as many shiny new gimmicks as Joe Q Technology can.

macguy
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
First never forget, not everyone plays with 19 or 20 oz cue, many cues I build for players are lighter than 19 or 20 oz, in fact I build some cues as light as 16 oz. As for the argument there isn't one in my opinion, only a difference of opinion.

You have every right to your opinion even if it is wrong, and that is fine with me.

All I can say for a fact is the Phenolic Tips will soon be history, now that is not to say that Jump cues with leather tips will also be outlawed. But, the fact remains without Phenolic tips many people will be disabled and Jump cues well they may not be all they are cracked up to be!!!!!!!;)

Still waiting for that video clip. Not sure what the last comment has to do with the debate.

tigerallenyim
06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Pool was never meant to be played in 3 dimensions.

Although i dunno if that is true or not, I definitely agree. Keep it on the table pls...
I CAN jump, but I have a hard time of jumping because of a physical condition so therefore I have no choice but to kick. Besides, I find it more rewarding.

If you need to shoot a jump shot, no going back to the bag and grabbing a different cue. Use your playing cue to get out of trouble. I hooked you with my playing cue. The least you could do in return is try to get out of it with yours.

Rep pts for that!

Snapshot9
06-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Jumping with a playing cue is harder than with a jump cue, and the stroke is different. I am old school, and I learned to jump with a playing cue before jump cues ever came along.

LOL ... I am reminded of one night, playing in a weekly tournament with smart players, and I had 3 mishaps in a row with my fairly new Break/jump cue with a phenolic ferrule/tip. I got so pi**ed off, I decided to use my playing cue for any more jumps needed. I made the next 4 jump shots with my playing cue, and made all 4 balls .... LOL and they were not especially easy jump shots to make.

2 Jump shots come to mind when I think of jump shots:

The first one was done by Dave Hendricks (From Wichita orginally, last heard of in Oklahoma City). Dave was a good player, but he was especially good at Jump shots with a regular playing cue. Had the cue about 1st diamond from end rail right corner pocket, object ball a foot past side pocket with a backcut. Jumped the ball, made the object ball, and had enough low right english to go across by other side pocket and draw the cue ball clear back to end rail for shape on the next object ball.
It was one where you said, 'Whoa, look at that stroke'.

The second one was performed by Jamie Baracks, playing in a semi final match here in Wichita at Sidepockets (Midwest 9 ball tour event every year in June here). He used a jump cue to perform this one.

Jamie had the cue ball about middle diamond up from right end pocket with a ball in front 6 inches, and another ball in the path 14-16" down from the first blocking ball. He had a backcut on the 1. Jamie not only
jumped both balls, and made the 1, but went perfectly 2 rails to get shape on the 2 ball in the same pocket as the 1 went. The jump over 2 balls, and his sense of speed for shape on the 2 was absolutely perfect.
Those 2 things are what impressed me.

By the way, Jamie beat Steve Rector in the finals of the tournament to win the tournament.

Snapshot9
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Jumping with a playing cue is harder than with a jump cue, and the stroke is different. I am old school, and I learned to jump with a playing cue before jump cues ever came along.

LOL ... I am reminded of one night, playing in a weekly tournament with smart players, and I had 3 mishaps in a row with my fairly new Break/jump cue with a phenolic ferrule/tip. I got so pi**ed off, I decided to use my playing cue for any more jumps needed. I made the next 4 jump shots with my playing cue, and made all 4 balls .... LOL and they were not especially easy jump shots to make.

2 Jump shots come to mind when I think of jump shots:

The first one was done by Dave Hendricks (From Wichita orginally, last heard of in Oklahoma City). Dave was a good player, but he was especially good at Jump shots with a regular playing cue. Had the cue about 1st diamond from end rail right corner pocket, object ball a foot past side pocket with a backcut. Jumped the ball, made the object ball, and had enough low right english to go across by other side pocket and draw the cue ball clear back to end rail for shape on the next object ball.
It was one where you said, 'Whoa, look at that stroke'.

The second one was performed by Jamie Baracks, playing in a semi final match here in Wichita at Sidepockets (Midwest 9 ball tour event every year in June here). He used a jump cue to perform this one.

Jamie had the cue ball about middle diamond up from right end pocket with a ball in front 6 inches, and another ball in the path 14-16" down from the first blocking ball. He had a backcut on the 1. Jamie not only
jumped both balls, and made the 1, but went perfectly 2 rails to get shape on the 2 ball in the same pocket as the 1 went. The jump over 2 balls, and his sense of speed for shape on the 2 was absolutely perfect.
Those 2 things are what impressed me.

By the way, Jamie beat Steve Rector in the finals of the tournament to win the tournament.

XxMerlinxX
06-25-2009, 09:22 AM

I guess he should have froze the balls together, right? Yep, marginal safety at best.

That was a foul. The CB hits the tip of the cue again after the first impact, which is what propels it forward, not some crazy sort of jumping ability. Jump sticks do help, I'll admit it, but they don't let you bend the laws of physics.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
That was a foul. The CB hits the tip of the cue again after the first impact, which is what propels it forward, not some crazy sort of jumping ability. Jump sticks do help, I'll admit it, but they don't let you bend the laws of physics.

LMFAO - find me one referee that would call that one a double hit. The reason the cue ball goes forward is she's not jacked up at full 90 degrees, and she's hitting the back of the ball. Ask her dad, Ned Morris, if it's a foul. Ask John Barton, too. They can both make this shot with a jump cue. Sorry, no foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rvRHZ1sZo

Larry Nevel in action with a G10 tipped jumper. Foul, too, right?

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK9_kZToGLs&feature=related

Just watch the video. The whole thing - right to the end.

The Saw
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Well then, I'm just plain lying.... I play with a Predator shaft now and can only jump maybe 1/4 of a ball with my playing cue. But before the Predator shaft every cue I had had a Southwest taper shaft (very stiff hit) and I could jump a full ball, draw or follow for shape and make the object ball on 50-60% of all jump shots. At the time I may have been the best C player jumper in the country (it was the only thing I did good, lol)... Steve McAnnich used to jump with his playing cue all of the time and he rarely ever missed pocketing the ball.... He was the best jumper ever IMO.

td873
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
This whole debate is quite silly. At one time jumping was difficult and everyone was like "ooooo! look so-and-so can jump, he's awesome." No one cared, no one complained. You simply understood your opponent could jump and planned for it.

Then, jumping became available to everyone and suddenly people were up in arms about it.

In the end, you still have to make the money ball to win - whether you can jump or not.

What's next, saying you can't cause a ball to jump off the cushion? This is a legit shot that people use to get over obstructions. What about jumping off another ball? This is also a legit shot used in straight pool to land on the stack - or in many other games to avoid interfering balls when trying to get shape. What about the shot where the cue ball intentionally jumps onto the rail or hits the back of the side pocket hard enough to land back on the table?

It's just silly to say jumping should be banned altogether. Pool has been 3-D for a long time.

-td

XxMerlinxX
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK9_kZToGLs&feature=related

Just watch the video. The whole thing - right to the end.

Did you even watch that video??? The cueball rolls up the shaft of the cue and bounces off, THEN goes over. It's not possible to strike an object, have it travel up, then for no apparent reason, change direction and move forward all by itself. Yes, that is definitely a foul.

Black Cat 5791
06-25-2009, 01:19 PM

Seen that one before, it's actually a foul. The cue ball comes back hit's the cue then moves forward.

Besides, that's the exception not the rule. I can jump out of most situations, however the best I can do with regularity is about a chalk and a half distance apart.

Black Cat.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Did you even watch that video??? The cueball rolls up the shaft of the cue and bounces off, THEN goes over. It's not possible to strike an object, have it travel up, then for no apparent reason, change direction and move forward all by itself. Yes, that is definitely a foul.

Guess you didn't get the point. He made those shots with a full length cue. Guess you didn't watch til the end. AND, he shot SEVERAL jump shots in the vid. One is clearly a foul. The others look pretty darned close to me. Would you call someone on that? I would love to see someone unload that shot on you (Larry Nevel) and you call a foul. You'd become the new case for his jump cue.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Seen that one before, it's actually a foul. The cue ball comes back hit's the cue then moves forward.

Besides, that's the exception not the rule. I can jump out of most situations, however the best I can do with regularity is about a chalk and a half distance apart.

Black Cat.

OK - so you can clear a ball from 1" away, give or take? So I roll a ball 12' around a table and pin you to within 1.5" of the blocker. That, in my opinion, is EXCELLENT cueball control, and a great safety. To the jump crowd, their response is "learn to play better safeties". There aren't always situations where you can stiff someone dead against a ball. But you get to run to your little bag of tricks, and grab a little stick that has no other purpose but to defeat poor safety play, and allows most new players to totally overlook the art of kicking. GREAT invention for the game.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
This whole debate is quite silly. At one time jumping was difficult and everyone was like "ooooo! look so-and-so can jump, he's awesome." No one cared, no one complained. You simply understood your opponent could jump and planned for it.

Then, jumping became available to everyone and suddenly people were up in arms about it.

In the end, you still have to make the money ball to win - whether you can jump or not.

What's next, saying you can't cause a ball to jump off the cushion? This is a legit shot that people use to get over obstructions. What about jumping off another ball? This is also a legit shot used in straight pool to land on the stack - or in many other games to avoid interfering balls when trying to get shape. What about the shot where the cue ball intentionally jumps onto the rail or hits the back of the side pocket hard enough to land back on the table?

It's just silly to say jumping should be banned altogether. Pool has been 3-D for a long time.

-td

I think there should be no ban at all on jump shots. I think jump cues should be banned. Get rid of the phenolic tipped gimmick sticks. If you want to jump, do it with your player. You should have all your playing shots in your playing cue. I haven't seen anyone run to their bag for their draw cue or stun cue yet.

To any jump cue player out there, I challenge you to cut the phenolic tip off your jump cue, put a Le Pro tip on it, and see how well it jumps. People keep talking about technology improving the game. Bull$hit. It's not technology. It's putting a material as hard as the cueball at the end of the ferrule that gives you the ability. Go to the pool hall next time and find a cue that has a tip broken off. Shoot jump shots with it. It's a pogo stick too. Sick innovation, those untipped cues.

If a jump cue is "designed" to facilitate the jump shot, the tip should only be one contributing factor. I'll go get a house cue and cut it down to 41", and put a phenolic tip on it. You can have an AirTime, or Predator Air or whatever jump cue you choose. We'll stick a Triangle tip on it. Then let's see which technologically advanced cue wins the jump off.

manwon
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Still waiting for that video clip. Not sure what the last comment has to do with the debate.

There is no debate, and I never said I had Video clip, I only said that you may want to work on your stroke, or change the hardness of your tip. I am sorry if this offends you, but life is just that way some times. If I put a video together all you would do discount it any way, you would say it is a gaff cue or something else.

Like I said above there is no debate, only time will show who is right and who is wrong.

Good Luck with your game!!!!!;)

poolfoole
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
So just because the equipment makes the shot easier it should be banned? Let's take it a step further and ban all custom cues and make everybody shoot with a house cue or broomstick handle and see how good they play then. Why should a piece of equipment that makes the shot easier be banned just because it's more suitable for the shot?

I think there should be no ban at all on jump shots. I think jump cues should be banned. Get rid of the phenolic tipped gimmick sticks. If you want to jump, do it with your player. You should have all your playing shots in your playing cue. I haven't seen anyone run to their bag for their draw cue or stun cue yet.

To any jump cue player out there, I challenge you to cut the phenolic tip off your jump cue, put a Le Pro tip on it, and see how well it jumps. People keep talking about technology improving the game. Bull$hit. It's not technology. It's putting a material as hard as the cueball at the end of the ferrule that gives you the ability. Go to the pool hall next time and find a cue that has a tip broken off. Shoot jump shots with it. It's a pogo stick too. Sick innovation, those untipped cues.

If a jump cue is "designed" to facilitate the jump shot, the tip should only be one contributing factor. I'll go get a house cue and cut it down to 41", and put a phenolic tip on it. You can have an AirTime, or Predator Air or whatever jump cue you choose. We'll stick a Triangle tip on it. Then let's see which technologically advanced cue wins the jump off.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
So just because the equipment makes the shot easier it should be banned? Let's take it a step further and ban all custom cues and make everybody shoot with a house cue or broomstick handle and see how good they play then. Why should a piece of equipment that makes the shot easier be banned just because it's more suitable for the shot?

Hilarious. Yeah, you take my custom cue out of my hands, I cannot play a lick. I can draw a table length with my cue, but give me a Viking and I'm screwed. I can play with pretty much any cue on the planet. There will be subtle differences, like deflection, and how I have to hit certain shots. I have YET to buy a pool cue that gave me the ability to do something I couldn't do before I bought it. I would love to see those ads from Predator - "can't draw the ball? Buy a Predator!".

XxMerlinxX
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Guess you didn't get the point. He made those shots with a full length cue. Guess you didn't watch til the end. AND, he shot SEVERAL jump shots in the vid. One is clearly a foul. The others look pretty darned close to me. Would you call someone on that? I would love to see someone unload that shot on you (Larry Nevel) and you call a foul. You'd become the new case for his jump cue.

So because it "looks close" it's not actually a foul? Or it's not a foul because he's a pro, which is it? Yes, I would call a foul on a pro if we were playing in a tournament or for money. You shouldn't get away with fouls just because you're well known.

td873
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how long you've been playing, but in the early/mid 90s there was a movement for jumping with just the shaft. Someone figured out you could jump A LOT easier with just the shaft since it was lighter and could be "stroked" better. It wasn't with a new harder tip or some fancy technology. They simply unscrewed the shaft and jumped with it. [I still use it today when the local rules allow or when I'm showing off.]

Well a company took hold of this trend and made a cool device called the thumper jumper to help these type of shaft jumps. It was a little handle that you simply screwed into your shaft making shaft jumping even easier. In fact, shaft jumping was (and still is) really easy - and can be done with any type of tip.

Well, then they (people that didn't like it) began their complaining and started enforcing the cue length rule. (I can't remember if there was also a rule change to a minimum length cue, but I seem to recall there was as well). Anyway, people started cutting cues down to the minimum length and began coring out the butts. These were probably the real precursors to todays jump cues. These lighter/shorter cues with NORMAL tips made jumping a viable alternative to the full length cue. I was doing it in the 90s (and quite well) - even without a phenolic tip.

The next (logical?) step was using the hardest tip you could find. Soon, some people were simply rounding their ferrules off, and others were adding "ferrule" tips to their jump cues.

In short, phenolic tipped short jump cues are not a new trend. They are nothing more than the shortest, lightest, and hardest tipped cue permitted within the rules. If you take away the phenolic, you are only taking one step back. The jump shot will still exist in its exact same form.

-td

manwon
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM

They are baning the Phenolic Tips because they CLAIM that they damage the balls. I own a Pool Room, and I do not see this damage occuring, so I think that there is more here than meets the eye.;)

Take care

Hierovision
06-25-2009, 04:21 PM
If I have a long jump shot I won't bother using my b/j cue. If it's close I will break down the b/j. I have a LOT more control jumping with my playing cue but obviously I'm not able to make it over close balls.

jonesy
06-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I am going to kick in most cases, but I can jump with my Southwest with a moori med tip and I have no problems getting over full balls.

XxMerlinxX
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I tried jumping again today with my playing cue. I made it 1 time out of like 10, lol.

JB Cases
06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Jumping with a full cue is a combination of the cue's properties, the table characteristics (slate, cloth, and balls) and the skill level of the player. Some cues are easier to jump with than others.

It is "possible" to jump a full ball from about 12" away from the blocking ball IF all the conditions are right and a little closer with some cues. I have jumped balls from as close as about 6-8" with my Scruggs sneaky pete.

The amount of consistent jump shots that are possible using a full cue is very limited when compared to using a specially engineered jump cue.

And for those who think that jumping is harder with a full cue, yes it is, but controlling the cueball is harder.

Think of a car that has a turning ratio of 3 full turns to bring the wheels from all the way left to all the right. Now compare it to a car where the wheels go from all the way left to all the way right with just a half turn of the wheel. Obviously you can turn much quicker with the second car and also make errors much faster and easier.

So to learn to drive (control) the second car is actually much harder than the first car.

With a jump cue comes more opportunity both for success and for failure. Those that spend the time to learn how to use will be rewarded with higher rates of successful shots than those who just use it at the most basic level of making a ball hop another ball.

Shawn Armstrong
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
In fact, shaft jumping was (and still is) really easy - and can be done with any type of tip.
-td

Go get an Elkmaster put on your shaft tomorrow, then tell me how easy it is with any kind of tip. I can only shaft jump with a shaft that has a hard tip. Le Pro, Triangle, or any layered tip. Elkmasters jump as high as white point guards in the NBA.

2_Fast_4_Fleas
08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
you dont put extra wear and tear on your cue jumping with it . actually you hit the ball with less impact when you jump vs when you break. if you just really want to look at it you can just get a rick howard break/jump and play, jump and break with it. the only thing is when your tip gets extremely hard from breaking hard all the time it can make for a great break jump but can make it harder to hold chalk when your putting alot of spin on the ball but you can just make sure that you always keeping your tip in good shape and just play. a stick doesnt make the player, the player who practices the way he would play in a tournament makes the player. dont try to over examine these trivial things too much, just play dude. it is a stick with wood and a leather tip on it, all those inlays and designs wont make anyone play any better. :D

2_Fast_4_Fleas
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
also have you seen anyone who can jump a ball, have the cue ball go 6 feet down the table , make the object ball , draw the cueball back 9 ft with a phenolic tiped jump cue? i preffer leather, because i can do it with that.

SCCues
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I play with a predator shaft on my cue and predators don't jump well because they are made for low deflection which takes the stiffness out of the end of the shaft that you need to jump a ball with. I'm not saying that you can't jump with a predator shaft if you want to, but i'd rather use my cheap jump cue for jumping rather than my predator shaft.

James

jersey jer
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
shawn armstrong

if i could rep every post you made i would.( not that that matters)

i can jump full a ball with my ts sneaky as close as 5-6 inches,(much more accurately than with a jump cue. its been said somewhere you shouldnt be able to to do it with a BB, but i do close to that with mine too. i truly dislike jump cues. i've used some analagies b4 that have been knocked... like when i bowl a 7-10 split i don't go grab a 3 foot wide bowling ball, you dont see a pro baseball players playing center field with 4 ft wide gloves, or tennis players with 3-4 ft wide rackets that at the last second might shoot out an extra foot or too to reach something they woulda missed cause they were out played. also i guess in the days when steroids are ok and they can be used to put your name into the history books any crutch is ok .... eff that!!! if everyone took steroids the people at the top of professional sports now would be fargin average... of course a great player without a jump cue will always smash an average player with one. sooo do youreally need a gimmick. oh yeah sure to beat the guy that sucks as much as you do who doesnt have one (who played a better shot on you than you were expecting).
most people i see jumping outa safes may just get the hit.. but then luck themselves into leaving a safe or sh!tty position for the guy who really safed em... arrrggg

Cue Guru
08-14-2009, 05:28 AM
Excellent point Jersey.

I have been away from the game for three weeks due to various reasons...

Anyway, I played again for the first time this past Wednesday. After a few drills I racked up the balls and played some 14.1 alone. (my league team evaporated while I was away)

Well, eventually I managed to safe myself by 1/2 ball, and used my full cue (the one I made) and jumped 1/2 ball and made the ball (not a far shot remember- this is straight) and held position with reasonable control.:)

I am moving toward the true old-school: One cue in a case with a spare shaft (maybe). Break, play, jump, whatever you need to do should be "in" that one cue. Before I was born, this was how it was done. Now-a-days, it seems every player looks like a cue dealer: they have a 3-butt/6-shaft case and a full arsenal of lumber. Watch for a rise in back injury in pool from carrying so much wood on their back...:grin:

I'm easy to spot: The only guy with a one-butt/two shaft case in the room!:wink:

Shawn Armstrong
08-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Now-a-days, it seems every player looks like a cue dealer: they have a 3-butt/6-shaft case and a full arsenal of lumber. Watch for a rise in back injury in pool from carrying so much wood on their back...:grin:

I'm easy to spot: The only guy with a one-butt/two shaft case in the room!:wink:

Actually, three of the players in the room I frequent have hired caddies. They read shots together, and choose the proper cue for the proper shot. They carry 5x7 cases (5 butts, 7 shafts). They have two playing cues (one Low Deflection, one stiff, both with 2 shafts), two break cues (one phenolic tipped, one leather) and a jumper. I'm soon waiting for Predator to start making "optimized" cues in the future, similar to the new drivers in golf. Draw enhanced, follow enhanced, etc.

Cue Guru
08-14-2009, 06:23 AM
That's Awesome Shawn! I laughed out loud!:D

Unfortunately, they are limited to three cues in competitive play, so they had better sort it out soon!

http://www.cueguru.com/cue_regulations/

Still funny however....