PDA

View Full Version : learn 1 pocket

JE54
06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
For you 1 hole players.
What suggestions do you have for learning the game?
I primarilly play 8 ball. I've been working on straight pool for a couple years now. I'm thinking that 1 hole would probabley help with straight.
I looked at 1 pocket .org.
I'd like some thoughts on strategies, practice etc., any thoughts would be appreciated.

3andstop
06-24-2009, 05:22 AM
There has to be a a zillion things to suggest to help learning 1pkt, two things that come to mind for me are... purchase a ton of 1pkt matches from Accu-stats that Bill Incardona is hosting. ( I personally enjoy him along with Danny D and Grady) and listen and watch closely.

Secondly, learn to condition your mind that its not about going in on making a shot you feel you can make as much as it is about long term game position. Many are the times when making an easy shot is the worst option. Allow yourself to think more about the overall table position than pocketing.

Curt Bergeest
06-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Be creative, practice putting balls by your hole without losing the cue ball. Watching videos are a good way of learning new shots. Practice ball speed and banks with speed (fast or slow) most of all you must have the patience of a dead man or you will sell out and lose. Play better players with weight and watch what they do. If the shot does not feel right when you look at the first time it will not be the right shot when you look at it the second, so don't take it. Practice playing safe, and do not be afraid of taking a foul and losing a ball.

Greatblzofire
06-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Here is the best advice I can give you about strategy in one pocket.

1)Whitey is the most important ball on the table. Never sell out whitey, and it will be hard for your opponent to gain any momentum and win.

2) Choose shots that favor your ball count. For example, if you have a tough shot that sells out more balls to your opponent than you can make on your run then choose a different shot.

3) Become more conservative with your shot selection when you are way ahead in ball count. Make the player that is behind take a chance. I have lost a lot of games trying aggressive shots to make my last ball and selling out in the process. Patience will get me an easily makable shot most games.

4) watch for your opponent's strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. If he banks poorly, tempt him with a few bank shots and he will probably sellout. If he is a threat to run alot of balls downtable, then focus on moving balls uptable if you are behind or to break his rythem. Play tight players with alot of move shots. Play loose players tight.

I would focus my practice in two ways, runouts and bank shots.

When you are practicing, drop balls randomly then try to runout in the tougher pocket. When you miss watch where you sold out and remember that for the games. Remember, unless a shot is unmissable, whitey is always the most important priority.

Practice a ton of long and short rail banks with different english. Again, it is not good enough to pocket the shot. You must be able to control where whitey ends up. Honestly, the best thing that happened to my banking game was Freddy the Beard's DVD. It taught me so much about banking and my one pocket game improved exponentially.

Finally, find as many good one pocket players as possible and play them. You will learn how to move and choose shots by watching them. You will also learn what shots not to hit. I cannot tell you how many times I have shot what I thought was a good safe or move, walked away from the table smiling and proud of myself, then watched a better player either stick me worse or runout from a spot where I thought I was favored. Playing players only at your level will not build this sort of experience. It will take you a lot longer to get good at this game.

Sorry this was a little long winded:frown:

JE54
06-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the info.

How do you determine what weight to ask for?
I saw the different spots listed on 1 pocket org. But what would determine how much weight to ask for?
Here's an example, I just am starting to learn this game, I play 8 ball fairly strong. I don't gamble much. A guy I know gambles all the time, pretty much on any game. I know he's played for a hundred a game last pocket 8 ball.
When we play in tourneys or the few times I've gambled (small) with him, he usually beats me. But not by alot. I know he could be laying down, and that could be a possiblity but I don't think he does. As I've played on teams with him and watched him gambled with others.
My question is how do I determine what would be a fair spot for both of us and how long do you stay at that spot before you change it ?

Greatblzofire
06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
without any knowledge of your friend's one pocket experience, that is impossible to say. I have freinds that spot me playing 9 ball, but I have to spot them playing one pocket. Knowledge is so key in this game that the best shooter does not necessarily have the advantage.

As an arbitrary spot, you could ask for a 9-7 game for $10 a rack and see how that goes. If it looks ugly, ask for more or get out. But do not quit after just a couple of games, the tides can really turn in one pocket. Two games is not enough time to get a real feel for speed.

Just to give you an idea of a range, the most i have ever given as a spot was 9-6. I got 10-5 from a road player once and lost. I have seen pro players give crazy spots like 10-2 or 11-2.

All the breaks is another good spot if you develop an affective break.

ironman
06-24-2009, 07:51 AM
There has to be a a zillion things to suggest to help learning 1pkt, two things that come to mind for me are... purchase a ton of 1pkt matches from Accu-stats that Bill Incardona is hosting. ( I personally enjoy him along with Danny D and Grady) and listen and watch closely.

Secondly, learn to condition your mind that its not about going in on making a shot you feel you can make as much as it is about long term game position. Many are the times when making an easy shot is the worst option. Allow yourself to think more about the overall table position than pocketing.

This can be good advice, but I hear a lot of young players trying to grasp this and they get so caught up in tying to trap someone tht often they forget that the most important thing in any pool game is pocketing balls.

I see a lot of others knowing they can make the ball and then go for the tough position. They miss position and trap themselves because the oposing player has ball near his pocket and in play.

1-Pocket is not much different than all other games in the respect that it is all about repitition and a learning process.Once most learn what to look for and are aware they are about to trp themselves, then the game becomes fun becasue there are so many options in game,Just like most games, it is all about shooting the shot that needs to be shot and not what we feel comfortable with,

DrOnePocket
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
For you 1 hole players.
What suggestions do you have for learning the game?
I primarilly play 8 ball. I've been working on straight pool for a couple years now. I'm thinking that 1 hole would probabley help with straight.
I looked at 1 pocket .org.
I'd like some thoughts on strategies, practice etc., any thoughts would be appreciated.

One thing that really helped me was buying DCC one pocket matches and studying them. Knowing what the top players do in every situation is very helpful.

supergreenman
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Word of warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get hooked on this game you're lost forever.

There is no AA for 1 holers

wood600rr
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I got great advice from one of the best one-pocket players in my area yesterday. He said the best way to learn how to play one pocket is to play partners with a good player. Number one, he'll always shoot the right shot, which will show you what to do, and number two, he'll leave you in good position when it's your turn. Makes sense to me...