PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and playing pool...or lack of!

boba_fett23
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I have recently made the decision to quit smoking. I have been a long time smoker (15+) and wanted to quit because I love pool and didn't want anything to ruin my eye sight or endurance at the table among other health reasons. The one thing I never thought of was how hard shooting without a smoking really is. The place I play is smoke free, however I would go outside for a smoke about every 45 min to an hour. Yesterday was my first tobacco free day...man did that suck! While I was warming up...the one thing I notice right away was how hard it was to concentrate and how angry and irritated I got while playing. I am not just talking about being a little annoyed, I actually wanted to hurt people when I missed a shot or position which seemed to happen more than usual.

My question to anyone who has tried to quit is, what helped you control this at the table and how long did it take for you to adapt to this new take at the pool table?

Thanks,

Big Perm
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
The first 3 weeks to a month, quitting cold turkey, I wanted to stab someone.....it was horrible.....mood swings, shakes, it was like TV's version of someone going thru detox.....my body hated it....

After about a month, I felt better and it got easier....years later, no big deal.....but my mouth still waters at the sight of copenhagen or a marlboro :D

There is no getting around it....just accept it, one day at a time....it will get better....

Sam Waltz
06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm tryin' to do the same thing so I wish ya the best of luck! :thumbup:

Tom In Cincy
06-24-2009, 08:50 AM
When I made it through the first day, the 2nd day was even worse, but I told myself, that I was not going to give up what I went through that first day and smoke the 2nd day.
I kept this thought up for a whole week and then it was an even stronger motivator the 2nd week... I will not give up a week of NOT smoking just for one cigarette on the 8th day.. no way...

Every time I get the urge to light one up, I take a deep breath and hold it for as long as I can and then let it out slowly. Usually that is all it takes to overcome the urge.

As far as the anger and irritation, drugs help. See your doctor. Ask about Chantrix. Most people only have to take them for a few weeks.

Smoke free since March 2nd 2008. almost 15 months.

boba_fett23
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Did anybody see a drop off in their game and if so how long?

Tom In Cincy
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Did anybody see a drop off in their game and if so how long?

Yes, my game dropped off at least a ball or maybe 2 for about 3 months. They it was back to normal, maybe even better. I wasn't spending time running out to smoke, worrying about how many cigs I had before I needed to buy another pack or carton (yikes.. $5+ a pack retail)

I did reward myself after 3 month by getting a new 32 inch Flat screen HDTV.. with the money I saved.

boba_fett23
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info...it helps. I will have to find a way to reward myself also and try to find a way to make this transition in my game work for me. I am almost 30 yrs and have been wanting to make a change for a while.

I also plan on making a jar for the smoke money saved. Up here in Alaska it is $6.90 a pack! and I was smoking about a pack a day. That surely does add up over time. I see a new cue in my future.

cueguy
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info...it helps. I will have to find a way to reward myself also and try to find a way to make this transition in my game work for me. I am almost 30 yrs and have been wanting to make a change for a while.

I also plan on making a jar for the smoke money saved. Up here in Alaska it is $6.90 a pack! and I was smoking about a pack a day. That surely does add up over time. I see a new cue in my future.

I smoked for almost 40 years and just quit on Nov 7 of last year.
It has been over 7 months!!! My problem was that I really love my beer and that is the hardest time ;-)
Keep with it - it gets easier by the day.
Also, after a difficult time at first, now my game has improved!

Larry

chin0
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
It is the break away from the table that rest and reset your eyes a bit. It also relaxed you as well. Just take breaks like you usually do but without a smoke. See if that works. Best of luck to you, I relapsed on my smoking. It just feels good lol.

Chino

Koop
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I quit almost 6 months ago and will never smoke again. It took me 2 months before I was REALLY comfortable so give it some time, you'll be fine man.
As far as the anger, don't know what to tell you. Even on my worst day I didn't take it out on anyone.
Maybe there is something underlying that you don't even realize?

Best of luck and stay smoke free,
Koop

Solartje
06-26-2009, 04:12 AM
i was planning on trying to quit to this summer. Now thgat i have read this, it made me even more :o... but there is no turning around it. I just have to quit.

I just bought a pack today. 6= 8.46$ SMoke that for a year, and i can buy myself TWO 32" hdtv 's :D

solly who hasnt been able to hold longer then 12hours without smoking because of angermanagment problems :rolleyes:.

ronhudson
06-26-2009, 04:54 AM
From my personal experiences and from watching others, I don't think the hard part is quitting smoking, it's deciding that you really want to. I smoked heavily for about 35 years. One evening I decided I didn't want to smoke any more, and I haven't smoked or wanted another cigarette since then. That was about 20 years ago.

I had "tried to quit" before but it never worked. The committment was never there. When I did decide that I was really ready to quit, it was like flipping a switch. Saying or even knowing you need to quit or that it's too expensive doesn't help much -- it's tough until you make the important decision that you want to not be a smoker. Then it's easy.

By the way, I do find a relationship in this decision making process to pool. I hear people say like "I'm going to try it in the corner" when they are faced with a tough shot. Then they miss. I think the reason it that they never committed to doing it. Don't "try it". Take a little more time, visualize how it will happen, make the decision you ARE going to make the shot, then relax and let it happen. Shoot it in.

Good luck.

Snapshot9
06-26-2009, 05:15 AM
I have had people after me to quit smoking, and I just tell them I enjoy smoking, I've smoked for 48 years, and I have no plans to quit. I have made some adjustments, like not smoking in my apartment or my car (I go outside).

And because of prices, I now smoke little cigars (cigarette sized), Cornerstone Menthol 100's, which are a $1 a pack. If I die at 90 instead on 95 or 96, then so be it. (just how good do you think the quality of life is from 90 to 95?). It's a risk, I know, but one I am willing to take.

stevee
06-26-2009, 07:13 AM
I quit smoking over 30 years ago. I struggled with it and relapsed a couple of times, but eventually I was able to make it stick. I feel like I'm reaping the benefits of that decision now. Stay the course, you can do it! Pool is a great way to keep your hands busy. Much tougher if you're one of those folks who likes to sit at the bar and BS. The beer tastes even better now!

dkindig
06-26-2009, 07:27 AM
The patch helps a lot with the mood swings and anxiety. True, you have to wean yourself off the patch eventually, but by then, you will no longer feel the urge to smoke a cigarette.

For me, I got to the second stage of the patch, and suddenly noticed that I was forgetting to use them more than I was using them. Then one day I remembered to use the patch and it actually increased my desire to smoke. I then knew that I was past the need for them too...

NewStroke
06-26-2009, 07:36 AM
I was very lucky. I began smoking when I was 14 and quit when I was about 28. After trying the patch which was new at the time, I just threw everything in the trash and walked away from it. I have never looked back and never regretted it. I have some damage to my lungs and feel it every once in a while but it's nothing I can't live with.

I think the hardest part to playing pool is all the other smokers around you. Hopefully they'll pass more no smoking laws, the smoke still really bothers my eyes sometimes.

boba_fett23
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the posts...My last smoke was on the 22nd at 10pm. I have been smoke free for three days and am starting my 4th. I have found the patch does work but only enough to take the edge off, however it is better than nothing.
I am still having trouble at the table but like everything else it will pass. I do think that it is mostly a mental thing...I just have to find a way to relax myself.

Thanks for all the good posts they have been helpful.

Russ

Quatsch83
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
I recommend anybody who smokes to read this book:

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E0FVSF9WL._SS500_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616)

It helps you to stop smoking cold turkey by focusing on the positive benefits of stopping and also trying to understand why you smoke in the first place.

The physical addiction is much much easier to conquer once you understand the mental addiction. He does not at all advocate nicotine replacements (patch, gum, etc.) because it does not get rid of the physical addiction.

I highly recommend the book, it will make the quitting process, dare I say it....enjoyable.

Also he stipulates that if you are presently a smoker, then you must keep smoking while you read the book and not cut down at all. So you really have nothing to lose by giving the book a shot IMO!