PDA

View Full Version : Galvaston World Classic inks video deal

Tom In Cincy
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
See press release here

http://www.theworldclassic.com/tournament-announcements/galveston-world-classic-inks-video-deal.html

It says it will be streamed FREE from the website

ShootingArts
06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
See press release here

http://www.theworldclassic.com/tournament-announcements/galveston-world-classic-inks-video-deal.html

It says it will be streamed FREE from the website

I had heard rumors but I couldn't bring them to the table of course. Great to get some real poop on the video.

Thanks!

Hu

Scott Lee
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Funny how nobody has ever heard of 'Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC', but their exclusive domain is producing pool and billiard events. IMO, just another slam at entities like TAR, that already exist, already have a track record, and already have an audience. These guys are gonna produce their event, their way (with no communication with, nor advice from, experts who have done this before), using their people...and experience be damned! Well, good luck fellas! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

hangemhigh
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Funny how nobody has ever heard of 'Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC', but their exclusive domain is producing pool and billiard events. IMO, just another slam at entities like TAR, that already exist, already have a track record, and already have an audience. These guys are gonna produce their event, their way (with no communication with, nor advice from, experts who have done this before), using their people...and experience be damned! Well, good luck fellas! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

It is their event, and obviously they plan to sink or swim on their own. More power to them.

Cuephoric
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Obviously they aren't AZers,or they'd know the power of TAR and their followers....
Sink or swim, at least they are committing themselves fully in their independence-

Johnnyt
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
If the money for ALL the purses is in escrow why is eveybody slamming them. Their putting up a fortune for this event and if they don't want anyones help, so be it. With the lack of info about the event they could already have a top notch tournament director and others from the pool tournament indusry. Johnnyt

Tom In Cincy
06-24-2009, 04:07 PM
The 'top notch' TD has been chosen.

Ken Shuman is the current TD for the US Open 9 ball event
Ken Shuman is the current TD for the Derby City Classic
Ken Shuman is the current National Tournament Referee and Director for the BCAPool Leagues and Head Ref trainer.

Ken and his chosen staff are very reputable and experienced players and directors/referees.

The rest of the crew for the tournament are the promoters. They are the one with the facts to provide when they feel it is necessary.

Oh, BTW, there are VIP tickets for the entire event on sale for $125. These also include the TV table seating area. See the website for purchasing these tickets.

If the money for ALL the purses is in escrow why is eveybody slamming them. Their putting up a fortune for this event and if they don't want anyones help, so be it. With the lack of info about the event they could already have a top notch tournament director and others from the pool tournament indusry. Johnnyt

Scott Lee
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Johnnyt...That's the problem, as I see it. Nothing has been put in escrow. Escrow means it is in a bank account, and can be verified by independent people (ie. the players, or a players' representative). The promoters have SAID they are guaranteeing 1st place prize money for each event (that doesn't mean it's in escrow somewhere). That says nothing about the payout for the rest of the paid field...which apparently the promoters don't feel like they need to provide details for. There are certainly precedents already for promoters who said the money was guaranteed, but when push came to shove, it wasn't. I'm not trying to badmouth this event...I'd love to see it come off, as it is proposed. That said, however, I'm still from Missouri (like several others here)...prove it! I have no doubt that the event will happen. Whether it flops or not remains to be seen. They have retained quality people to direct the tournament, and posted a deposit with Diamond...which is good. Best of luck to all the players, professional and amateur, who show up and play! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

"T"
06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Before we jump to conclusions about TAR, perhaps we should consider that the press release did not have the words "exclusive broadcast".

In fact, didn't see the word "exclusive" anywhere. :confused:

JoeyA
06-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

This is the kind of negativity that I have come to deplore.

You don't know anything about Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC and you make all kinds of negative insinuations about them and the promoters and you have it all wrong.

Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC is simply a new name of an EXPERIENCED AND HIGHLY COMPETENT TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS who have done an EXCELLENT JOB at providing high quality production for billiard events.

JoeyA

JoeyA
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Johnnyt...That's the problem, as I see it. Nothing has been put in escrow. Escrow means it is in a bank account, and can be verified by independent people (ie. the players, or a players' representative). The promoters have SAID they are guaranteeing 1st place prize money for each event (that doesn't mean it's in escrow somewhere). That says nothing about the payout for the rest of the paid field...which apparently the promoters don't feel like they need to provide details for. There are certainly precedents already for promoters who said the money was guaranteed, but when push came to shove, it wasn't. I'm not trying to badmouth this event...I'd love to see it come off, as it is proposed. That said, however, I'm still from Missouri (like several others here)...prove it! I have no doubt that the event will happen. Whether it flops or not remains to be seen. They have retained quality people to direct the tournament, and posted a deposit with Diamond...which is good. Best of luck to all the players, professional and amateur, who show up and play! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The only problem I see is people like you taking pot shots at every opportunity to knock this tournament, the promoters and even the players.

Sure, you're not trying to badmouth this event.......SURE:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You make your own definitions about what an escrow is and what the promoters have done and haven't done.

Your snide remarks of wishing luck to the players and your entire post reeks of pessimism and sarcasm and I am frankly shocked by your comments and the manner in which you continue to project them.

SURE! You're not trying to badmouth this event. :barf:

JoeyA

TX Poolnut
06-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Why is it another slam at entities like TAR? How do you know who they have and/or haven't advised? Do you have the inside track and are just holding out on us? What gives Scott? :confused:

TX Poolnut
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

:confused::confused: The highlighted part :confused::confused:

Johnnyt
06-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Oh, I thought all funds were in escrow already. That's different then. Johnnyt

ShootingArts
06-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Oh, I thought all funds were in escrow already. That's different then. Johnnyt

Johnny,

I am working from memory but I thought we were guaranteed that first place monies would be put in escrow. No way for all of the other monies to be put in escrow as I think they are coming from entry fees up until the last minute.

As of yet I haven't seen any confirmation of any monies in escrow or any indication of on what date they plan to do that. First place in escrow won't mean too much if they have already collected enough entry fees for the entire payout to cover first place monies before putting "first place monies" in escrow.

I'm very specifically not saying there is a problem here other than the promoters usual problem of inadequate communications. The particulars of the fund guarantee was another question to be asked in the chat that didn't take place.

I think things are golden for a great one time event. I am hoping for a lot more from these people and I have to admit I am not nearly as confident of that. I think we should get ready to have a good time in Galveston and see what happens afterwards. One thing for sure, we will know a hell of a lot more after this first event!

Hu

JimS
06-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm just confused and watching with my mouth hanging open wondering wtf just happened? :groucho:

But in my confusion about what is REALLY happening or who's spin is the real spin I do think it would behove ALL naysayers to just be quiet and let things fall as they will. Promoting negative ideas and feelings does undermine things and is in nobodys best interest.

JimS
06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I think things are golden for a great one time event. I am hoping for a lot more from these people and I have to admit I am not nearly as confident of that. I think we should get ready to have a good time in Galveston and see what happens afterwards. One thing for sure, we will know a hell of a lot more after this first event!

HuThere ya go. Let's do this party and see if things fall right for another one. Sheeeeeeeeeeee I'm down with that idea!

$125 for ringside seats sound reasonable for this big show.

Scott Lee
06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, Mr. Smart Guy...what's YOUR definition of "having funds in escrow"? The facts speak for themselves. The promoters have provided no answers to ANY of the questions put forth by the posters here (including yourself). Those questions have been asked since last fall, when the event was first mentioned. I'm happy that you can live in a dream world, and believe whatever you want. I'm someone who likes to have questions answered (when those questions are directly related to the participation and outcome of the event itself). No information is forthcoming here...that's for sure. The event is 2 1/2 months away. When it is all said and done, it is their event. They're putting up the added money (allegedly). They have a perfect right to run it however they see fit, using anybody they choose. The fact that there are literally dozens of talented people here, who could offer direction and advice, to benefit a successful outcome, but are ignored or snubbed, speaks volumes, imo.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You make your own definitions about what an escrow is and what the promoters have done and haven't done.

JoeyA

"T"
06-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, Mr. Smart Guy...
www.poolknowledge.com

Where on earth are you going with this?

JoeyA
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, Mr. Smart Guy...what's YOUR definition of "having funds in escrow"? The facts speak for themselves. The promoters have provided no answers to ANY of the questions put forth by the posters here (including yourself). Those questions have been asked since last fall, when the event was first mentioned. I'm happy that you can live in a dream world, and believe whatever you want. I'm someone who likes to have questions answered (when those questions are directly related to the participation and outcome of the event itself). No information is forthcoming here...that's for sure. The event is 2 1/2 months away. When it is all said and done, it is their event. They're putting up the added money (allegedly). They have a perfect right to run it however they see fit, using anybody they choose. The fact that there are literally dozens of talented people here, who could offer direction and advice, to benefit a successful outcome, but are ignored or snubbed, speaks volumes, imo.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Well Chicken Little,
The sky isn't falling. The world isn't going to come to an end.

What you like or what I like isn't that important.

In fact, this tournament might turn out to be a really great event.

You're partially correct about one thing and that is that the promoters haven't chosen to interact with some of the people on AZBilliards. This seems to grind on you and others. You nor anyone else should take that personally but it appears that you have and that's unfortunate.

AZBilliards' Main Forum is a FANTASTIC place for talking about pool and the forum is filled with wonderful people who love the sport of pocket billiards and many of them have valuable information to share.

Because the promoters choose to avoid AZ Billiards, they shouldn't be derided at every turn by you or anyone else.

The players who want to play in this tournament and invest their time and money don't need to be ridiculed by you either.

You shouldn't take my comments personally either. I'm just one member of this forum who wants to give the promoters a chance to change the face of pool. If they fail, well you know the old saying, "Nothing ventured nothing gained".

Personally, I don't blame any promoter or professional player for not visiting AZ Billiards Main Forum. For some people it can be an unchartered minefield.

I'd love to see the forum change but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

AZ Billiards is a cross section of the entire globe and is a great place to hang out with old friends, make new friends and gain valuable information from informed people especially when it comes to pool.

JoeyA

"T"
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I'll back JoeyA against Scott for $500 9ball race to more than 6. Anyone want to back Scott? :D

ironman
06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm just confused and watching with my mouth hanging open wondering wtf just happened? :groucho:

But in my confusion about what is REALLY happening or who's spin is the real spin I do think it would behove ALL naysayers to just be quiet and let things fall as they will. Promoting negative ideas and feelings does undermine things and is in nobodys best interest.

FWIW, I have talked withthese guys on thephone mumerous times and I am convinced they have the best intintions here. I full believe the money is there and will be at payout time.

Mayb, just maybe they are on to something here and I agree with a lot of others , "that a little knowledge is a very helpful thing". They ar eworking hard on this event and nobody is trying to screw anyone.

My big concern is that this has been tried over and over with the gautee of a big 1st place and ???????? about the rest of the field. It rarely works and it sours any chance of a repeat event becasue turnout is not what they weere sold on and it ends up being quite costly.

Just look at the IPT. Kt was sold on the idea that there would be 64 at all his qualifiers and he had trouble after the first couple at getting 16. It ended up costing him a pretty penny after that and I don't care how rich the host of the party is, when it gets to be alsoing proposition, they look for ways to get out. That is my fear here.
With agaruntee of $40000 for first and no formula for 2nd, Well, many will shy away as this is an expensive event to attend. I agree it is a bit misguided, but I will wager that all intentions are good and that what they garuntee, wil be there..

It is a bloody shame that with all the experience in this industry, people can't put their heads together and put available cash together to insure a great event and one that works for all concerned. For the life of me, I can't see why or how someone with a little guidance should ever lose money on something of this magnitude. I tis just ridiculous. But, if I were King, I would change alot of things.
One thing allof us should have learned from the IPT thing though is that we should be very careful what we wish for. The only thing that kept the IPT from being the savior of Pool was that it wasn't founded by a real HUMAN BEING!

Str8PoolMan
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
This is the kind of negativity that I have come to deplore.

You don't know anything about Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC and you make all kinds of negative insinuations about them and the promoters and you have it all wrong.

Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC is simply a new name of an EXPERIENCED AND HIGHLY COMPETENT TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS who have done an EXCELLENT JOB at providing high quality production for billiard events.

JoeyA

So, how about letting the rest of us in on who Hot Ticket Entertainment is. What was their "old" name? A quick google search on "Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC" only turns up the press release referred to by the OP. If they are, as you say, "experienced and highly competent" professionals with a track record of providing high quality production of billiard events, I would think several AZBers would know who they are.

Just asking...

Matt90
06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll back JoeyA against Scott for $500 9ball race to more than 6. Anyone want to back Scott? :D

But I will have to get it in "INK" first :rotflmao:

Also,I am experienced, highly competent ,professional , sorry I just get a kick out of it
all sometimes .

JCIN
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I am guessing Hot Ticket is a new name for Sphereagon (sp) entertainment. The guys who JR Calvert has been working with who did Shannon's tournament after the Derby this year. I spoke with one of the principles of the company at the BCAPL Nationals but do not remember his name. I heard they were going to change the name so I am guessing it is the same guys.

One of the Taylor Road guys mentioned that they had a practice/action room and were interested in having us there and that we should talk. I gave them a card and never heard anything else. The days of TAR covering other peoples events are pretty much over because we always take a bath when we try. The other reason we will not be going is that quite frankly these guys don't seem to know what in the hell they are doing. That may not be a bad thing, but I for one am not ready to tie my reputation to an unknown entity.

I would be very happy to see this thing work, more money in pool is a good thing. We will see I guess.

Jason Robichaud
06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe a qualified BCA instructor will back him.

CrisDeLaGarza
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
The guys talked about in the press release ARE the guys from Spheragon Entertainment. I don't know about all the other things going on with this tournament so I'm only speaking on behalf of the quality of work that they produce.

The guys at Hot Ticket entertainment actually work in TV production in and outside of the pool industry. They don't just produce streams every once in awhile, they are contracted by companies to produce TV Commercials and other videos for them. This is not going to be an everyday stream with a $500 or $2000 camera. This will be a full blown production with a large camera/production crew, several camera angles (much like the edited versions you see on TV but this will be live) and additional features not seen in other streams. They some of the best quality equipment in the business and the capability to run commercials throughout the live stream.

I do not know details about how this contract is structured so I don't know if the commercials for this event will, in fact, be adding revenue to the tournament pay outs but I do know that they will be using this as an avenue to not only give the sponsors more recognition but to bring in more sponsors from outside the industry. If sponsors realize that they can be reaching hundreds of thousands of viewers through these actual commercials vs. a displayed logo or banner (which they also have the capability to do) I can see that being much more attractive for them.

I honestly don't want to get into any arguements in this thread because several people obviously have strong feelings one way or another and I didn't post this to spark a fight or any negative feelings. I just wanted to shed some light on the details of what they are capable of.

bignasty
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
um....well....yeah....ouch just bit my tounge....sorry! have a great day!:thumbup:

pooljunkie4ever
06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't really know why some many people get so fuzzy about not knowing everything about this event. When we go to other sporting events, we don't know the in's and out's, we make up our mind if we are going and pay the price. If you don't feel comfortable about whats going or how things are getting handled, than stay home and hear about it later.

As for the event, I hope everything goes well. I will be there to support it as much as I can. I have my room and vacation days ready and I am really anxious and excited about being there. I will treat it as just another tournament, if 10 people show up, well I will make it 11. See uall there.

fcee06
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Well im a bit sad that TAR isnt going to be a part of this. I enjoyed the action room during the DCC. I felt like I was there. Im sure they have their reasons for their choice in the video production company for this event. I wish everyone involved much success in this massive undertaking. I pray that it draws record numbers. I hope to be there front and center on the weekend. Good luck Taylor Road!!!

Big Frank

Da Bank
06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I have no clue whether this thing is going to be a flop or not, but it sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

I think that ANYONE on this forum who furthers skepticism about this event but also states that they "hope it works out because it'd be good for pool" should be banned for a week. If you do not have any legitimate claims with legitimate proof as to a reason why this event is corrupt or will be horrible and a waste of people's time and money... then shut up. Stirring the pot is only going to lower the attendance of this event and ruin what could have been the next DCC, or not.

My point is, there is reason to doubt all kinds of events but we don't sit here and try to think of every little kink and micromanage the decisions made by the people who put events together. Let the event take place and then you can make your judgments.

Jason Robichaud
06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
From all I am ready about this event... it seems the payouts will be the cheap part. They are spending tons a cash and I see no reason why the won't pay the players. I am going to try my hardest to make this event.

Scott Lee
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Is that how you judge everybody Tal?...by who can beat who on the pool table? Why don't you back yourself? I expected more out of you. I haven't asked any questions that haven't been asked here before...many times. Lots of people have concerns about this event, and they may be well founded, or not. Those concerns may affect whether someone goes, either as a participant, or to watch...or they may not. It's definitely "wait and see".

Several positive things have happened already...the venue & spectator ticket pricing; "guaranteed" big money for 1st place; Diamond's involvement; hiring a well known TD; and now 'free streaming'. Those are all well and good, but still says nothing about how the events will be run, for the benefit of the players. For example: Do you know that the format for the team event is billed as "all-star" teams (this comes directly from the promoters)? Do you think amateur teams are going to commit hundreds of dollars to come play in an event where they have ZERO chance to win? A few may, but it certainly won't be the hundreds of teams that they predict. Things are still very vague about who is qualified to play in what event (amateur vs. pro), and how those determinations will be made. Maybe things like this will be cleared up, prior to the event. For the players, I hope so...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

frankncali
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Well Chicken Little,
The sky isn't falling. The world isn't going to come to an end.

What you like or what I like isn't that important.

In fact, this tournament might turn out to be a really great event.

You're partially correct about one thing and that is that the promoters haven't chosen to interact with some of the people on AZBilliards. This seems to grind on you and others. You nor anyone else should take that personally but it appears that you have and that's unfortunate.

AZBilliards' Main Forum is a FANTASTIC place for talking about pool and the forum is filled with wonderful people who love the sport of pocket billiards and many of them have valuable information to share.

Because the promoters choose to avoid AZ Billiards, they shouldn't be derided at every turn by you or anyone else.

The players who want to play in this tournament and invest their time and money don't need to be ridiculed by you either.

You shouldn't take my comments personally either. I'm just one member of this forum who wants to give the promoters a chance to change the face of pool. If they fail, well you know the old saying, "Nothing ventured nothing gained".

Personally, I don't blame any promoter or professional player for not visiting AZ Billiards Main Forum. For some people it can be an unchartered minefield.

I'd love to see the forum change but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

AZ Billiards is a cross section of the entire globe and is a great place to hang out with old friends, make new friends and gain valuable information from informed people especially when it comes to pool.

JoeyA

Joey

Now I am all for Pool moving forward and new events but I think I side with most of the comments I have read on AZ.

The kind in AZ that tried a Pro event Guaranteed the money also.

Honestly we are about 2 months away and things are still being decided.
MOST of the pool commmunity still doesnt know about the event. I am guessing 65% do not know anything about it.
Are there even Flyers around the country in pool rooms?
They would like amateurs but have the Am leagues been contacted?

If the Video company has a great reputation and simply changed the name then why not mention it?
Why not mention anything that the have produced?

I also can't imagine ANY organization boycotting sharing information with the number 1 rated website in its genre. AZB is the place to get the information out and it should have been out MONTHS ago.

I am really hoping for success for the Taylor Road Group but as a promotion company they have not shown much. I can't get over how major questions have not been address.

Even the announcement of the Production Company seems late. Shouldn't this have been worked out a few months ago.

Note to Taylor Road... while I dont think you have been perfect I think you for the attempt and hope that its great. If I can get there then I will support you. If not please find ways like merchandise or PPV streams so that non-attendees can contribute as well. In fact having quality merchandise (shirts etc) BEFORE the event and a couple months ago would have been great.
Pool players and fans have been burned or disappointed so many times in the past its hard to be openly optimistic. Answering all questions and being overly prepared will or would have helped with this. Good Luck

Matt Stockman
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Im going to chime in with a little Golf analogy because I think it really makes sense regarding this event.

Golf has its four major championships every year. Tournaments that are all run by different entities including one that is a private entity and only sanctioned by the PGA tour (the masters). Pool - at this point - seems to have 3 majors, if you will. It has the DCC, the BCA vegas event, and the US Open 9 ball. This event could be pool's 4th major, and lets hope it exceeds everyones expectations!!

Do you think the golfers on the pga tour back in the 20 and 30's complained about the different tournaments that were started by different groups of people or promoters in the different cities?! They didnt! They showed up and played! and appreciated having a place to apply their talents. A tour cant come before its tournaments, as is evidence by the failure of the IPT. The PGA tour started because an entity was necessary to sanction the different tournaments that grew on their own. Of course the scene is a little different now with the fed-ex cup events and the rest of that gravy train mumbo jumbo that is the result of the wild and profitable popularity of professional golf, but lets face it.. pool is at a very regressed point right now, very similar to The PGA tour in its earliest days. It needs consolidation and support to truely progress.

I guess I just feel that faith ought to be the operative ethic. Faith in people that want to give the best of the best the chance to compete against each other for enough money to make it worth their while. Faith in the idea that if enough of these tournaments become successful, then someday Pool will have a sanctioned professional tour to organize all of them. Sure it will never exist on the level of Golf, but the point is it could exist! However, it never will if people continue to sit on the rail and take pot shots!

Da Bank
06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Is that how you judge everybody Tal?...by who can beat who on the pool table? Why don't you back yourself? I expected more out of you. I haven't asked any questions that haven't been asked here before...many times. Lots of people have concerns about this event, and they may be well founded, or not. Those concerns may affect whether someone goes, either as a participant, or to watch...or they may not. It's definitely "wait and see".

clearly someone can't take a joke.... jeez. :rolleyes:

Are you planning on attending this event Scott?

"T"
06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Is that how you judge everybody Tal?...by who can beat who on the pool table? Why don't you back yourself? I expected more out of you.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Well yes, that's exactly how I judge everybody. Doesn't everyone?

You know, from an SPF point of view, I think you may need to add a little more Pause before the Finish of your keystrokes. :rolleyes:

JoeyA
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=JCIN;1890232]I am guessing Hot Ticket is a new name for Sphereagon (sp) entertainment. The guys who JR Calvert has been working with who did Shannon's tournament after the Derby this year. I spoke with one of the principles of the company at the BCAPL Nationals but do not remember his name. I heard they were going to change the name so I am guessing it is the same guys.

QUOTE]

Yes, Spheragon was the name of the previous company and they are the same people that did the Great Southern Billiard Tour Championship and the Allen Hopkins, Super Billiards Expo - Ten Ball Pro Tournament and the WPBA event held at King of Prussia, PA.

I think Cristina did a great job at describing what Dustin McCollum and Dan Dennis do. They are a highly competent pair with extensive relationships in the production world that deals with television.

Dustin has recently been called in to do some high tech work at the Superdome. He and Dan stay busy and we should be glad that such a talented pair of guys loves pool as much as they do.

JoeyA

JoeyA
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Joey

Now I am all for Pool moving forward and new events but I think I side with most of the comments I have read on AZ.

The kind in AZ that tried a Pro event Guaranteed the money also.

Honestly we are about 2 months away and things are still being decided.
MOST of the pool commmunity still doesnt know about the event. I am guessing 65% do not know anything about it.
Are there even Flyers around the country in pool rooms?
They would like amateurs but have the Am leagues been contacted?

If the Video company has a great reputation and simply changed the name then why not mention it?
Why not mention anything that the have produced?

I also can't imagine ANY organization boycotting sharing information with the number 1 rated website in its genre. AZB is the place to get the information out and it should have been out MONTHS ago.

I am really hoping for success for the Taylor Road Group but as a promotion company they have not shown much. I can't get over how major questions have not been address.

Even the announcement of the Production Company seems late. Shouldn't this have been worked out a few months ago.

Note to Taylor Road... while I dont think you have been perfect I think you for the attempt and hope that its great. If I can get there then I will support you. If not please find ways like merchandise or PPV streams so that non-attendees can contribute as well. In fact having quality merchandise (shirts etc) BEFORE the event and a couple months ago would have been great.
Pool players and fans have been burned or disappointed so many times in the past its hard to be openly optimistic. Answering all questions and being overly prepared will or would have helped with this. Good Luck

Frank,
Unfortunately AZBilliards Main Forum has not been well received by people outside of the forum. The tone of the Main Forum is one of all-knowing and all-seeing attitude and I share part of that blame. The know-it-all attitude has never been a way to make friends and influence people. I know you know that as well as anyone.

Professional players have come on this forum only to be harassed and sniped at by people who are anonymous for the most part.

Promoters and other business people are scarce as hens teeth on this forum including some of the best known names in the pool world. These people cut a wide circle around AZBilliards because of the mine field that it has become. If they do post, its through other people or they drop in for a moment and are gone for weeks and months at a time.

Anonymous people from all walks of life can challenge a person's character, sexuality, their ethnicity, their religion and just about anything else that they choose to do. It is unfortunate but about the only hard head that I know that frequently posts on AZ and is a solid member of the pool business is John Barton of www.jbcases.com. John is an exception to the business people that might frequent AZ Billiards. He is a seasoned veteran of the RSB days as well as this forum and other forums. John enjoys a strong debate and has a thick hide and knows how to give as well as he gets. Most business types have chosen to avoid confrontations that John handles so well.

I don't blame them one bit for not posting on AZ Billiards. As a business person, I wouldn't want to paint a bullseye on my own back so that anonymous posters and others can take shots at me. No, I would just read the posts, consider what is written and do what I plan to do without running through the mine field.

The fact that many business people just do not see the value of posting in a forum of this type. Even Allen Hopkins who has been in scores of difficult situations in his life chooses to avoid the forum like the plague.
OK, he doesn't type that well. Neither does Keith McCready but he can get someone to type for him if he chooses to post and does; infrequently albeit.

JoeyA

jay helfert
06-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Frank,
Unfortunately AZBilliards Main Forum has not been well received by people outside of the forum. The tone of the Main Forum is one of all-knowing and all-seeing attitude and I share part of that blame. The know-it-all attitude has never been a way to make friends and influence people. I know you know that as well as anyone.

Professional players have come on this forum only to be harassed and sniped at by people who are anonymous for the most part.

Promoters and other business people are scarce as hens teeth on this forum including some of the best known names in the pool world. These people cut a wide circle around AZBilliards because of the mine field that it has become. If they do post, its through other people or they drop in for a moment and are gone for weeks and months at a time.

Anonymous people from all walks of life can challenge a person's character, sexuality, their ethnicity, their religion and just about anything else that they choose to do. It is unfortunate but about the only hard head that I know that frequently posts on AZ and is a solid member of the pool business is John Barton of www.jbcases.com. John is an exception to the business people that might frequent AZ Billiards. He is a seasoned veteran of the RSB days as well as this forum and other forums. John enjoys a strong debate and has a thick hide and knows how to give as well as he gets. Most business types have chosen to avoid confrontations that John handles so well.

I don't blame them one bit for not posting on AZ Billiards. As a business person, I wouldn't want to paint a bullseye on my own back so that anonymous posters and others can take shots at me. No, I would just read the posts, consider what is written and do what I plan to do without running through the mine field.

The fact that many business people just do not see the value of posting in a forum of this type. Even Allen Hopkins who has been in scores of difficult situations in his life chooses to avoid the forum like the plague.
OK, he doesn't type that well. Neither does Keith McCready but he can get someone to type for him if he chooses to post and does; infrequently albeit.

JoeyA

Joey, FYI MANY people in the billiard business make good use of these forums and for good reason. Those that don't only handicap themselves and the events they are trying to promote. JMHO of course.

frankncali
06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Frank,

JoeyA

I understand what you are getting at but comparing reactions to pool players posting and interacting on a forum to a Event promoter trying to let people now that the tournament is even going to happen is very different.

We, here at AZ, are junkies. We know and hear about pool events. We share the information. Where else would a promoter turn? The majority of pool players gte information through word of mouth.

They don't have to interact. Maybe they find a couple players and simply say...okay..what are the players and fans going to want to know? And then simply answer those questions with a release. No reason to sit and argue with people on here. Just post and leave or give Mike a Press release.
There are just so many unknown now for a large event.

With any group of size there will always be different opinions, characters and cliques. Some of the movers and shakers in the pool world can come here and work it out and some get upset and go. Typical for any large group and its members.

JoeyA
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I understand what you are getting at but comparing reactions to pool players posting and interacting on a forum to a Event promoter trying to let people now that the tournament is even going to happen is very different.

We, here at AZ, are junkies. We know and hear about pool events. We share the information. Where else would a promoter turn? The majority of pool players gte information through word of mouth.

They don't have to interact. Maybe they find a couple players and simply say...okay..what are the players and fans going to want to know? And then simply answer those questions with a release. No reason to sit and argue with people on here. Just post and leave or give Mike a Press release.
There are just so many unknown now for a large event.

With any group of size there will always be different opinions, characters and cliques. Some of the movers and shakers in the pool world can come here and work it out and some get upset and go. Typical for any large group and its members.

Frank,
In the future, perhaps these promoters and others may choose to provide information to AZ Billiards Main Forum direct but it is THEIR PEROGATIVE, and NOT THE Main Forum Members, inherent right.

You see promoters getting sniped at all of the time in this forum. Why would any promoter choose to be treated in a similar manner?

I think the Main Forum could be a valuable resource for promoters, players and forum members if some of the omnipotent attitude changes. Until then it will remain a minefield to be avoided by all except the seasoned combatants.

JoeyA

Klink
06-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Maybe they saw how DP press releases are received.

frankncali
06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Frank,
In the future, perhaps these promoters and others may choose to provide information to AZ Billiards Main Forum direct but it is THEIR PEROGATIVE, and NOT THE Main Forum Members, inherent right.

You see promoters getting sniped at all of the time in this forum. Why would any promoter choose to be treated in a similar manner?

I think the Main Forum could be a valuable resource for promoters, players and forum members if some of the omnipotent attitude changes. Until then it will remain a minefield to be avoided by all except the seasoned combatants.

JoeyA

I think everyone understands that its their right to shoot their own foot. We just wonder why someone would do so.

I work for a smaller Premium Dog Food and Treat company. We are very different and make a unique product that many of our potential customers don't understand.
Each day I go out and go up against the big companies like Proctor/Gamble, Colgate/Palmolive, Nestle, Mars Etc.. (thats right those are the companies that own dog food brands). They have huge budgets and spend 50 times more a year on marketing and advertising than we do.

We have been in business for over 60 years... my sticking our head in their each day. Some days it honestly feels like I am beating it against a wall and getting nowhere but I keep going back.

My area leads the nation in growth and as a company 3 weeks ago we sold more pounds of food than any week in the history of the company.
Partly due to gainly credibility and third party accreditation.

Whats this got to do with Galveston? Well if I was trying to put on my first Pro/AM big event I would have found respected people in the field and inquired. Then built trust in them so that the members of this field would gain a sense of credibility due to known member association.

Gaining the trust and support of AZ Billiards regulars and casual viewers would have helped immensely with word of mouth advertising and with gaining a solid reputation.

As I have said in other posts.. I really want it to work for pool players sakes and for the promoters success. They really are trying to do something good for the sport. My hat is off to them for at least
throwing themselves into the ring.

JoeyA
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I think everyone understands that its their right to shoot their own foot. We just wonder why someone would do so.
Maybe they don't view avoiding AZBilliards as shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe they don't view avoiding AZBilliards as shooting themselves in the foot, at least at this time.

Gaining the trust and support of AZ Billiards regulars and casual viewers would have helped immensely with word of mouth advertising and with gaining a solid reputation.

You've got the cart before the horse, Frank. AZ Billiards has not shown it to be a place where promoters can come and sit and chat. I think it may be the medium, the Internet forums themselves that prevent promoters and others from getting treated fairly and without malice.

As I have said in other posts.. I really want it to work for pool players sakes and for the promoters success. They really are trying to do something good for the sport. My hat is off to them for at least

I believe you when you say that.

We'll all just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope this event is successful. I'm going to do my part to help it succeed by attending.

JoeyA

JoeyA
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Maybe they don't view avoiding AZBilliards as shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe they don't view avoiding AZBilliards as shooting themselves in the foot, at least at this time. At this stage in AZBilliard's Main Forum's development I would steer clear of interaction if I were a promoter.

You've got the cart before the horse, Frank. AZ Billiards has not shown it to be a place where promoters can come and sit and chat. I think it may be the medium, the Internet forums themselves that prevent promoters and others from getting treated fairly and without malice.

I believe you when you say that.

We'll all just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope this event is successful. I'm going to do my part to help it succeed by attending.
JoeyA

Bigtruck
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Hmmmmmmm.

Which end of the couch are the promoters sitting on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh33bGAxl58

:D

I too hope this works out. I WILL be there in some form or fashion.

Ray

lfigueroa
06-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Frank,

JoeyA

Joey, while I concede some threads here get out of hand, things have been pretty mild when it comes to threads about the Galveston event. I believe that is so because people want it to succeed, but have legitimate questions about it. That is, in part, a result of this being ballyhooed as a big money event, post-Trudeau, and that they are tossing around some very big numbers.

I was in Boston the last few days and finally saw a poster for the event, at World Class Billiards. On that poster they are advertising a total of $200,000 in first place monies, for all the events. IMO, when a promoter starts talking in numbers like that, they deserve a little more scrutiny than your average weekend $500 added event, from the players they are courting -- you know, the guys who they want to show up, investing their time, and monies in entry fees and travel expenses.

Basically, they're telling me that there's, at least, $200K out there to be won. But they sure are tight-lipped when it comes to telling us how that magic is suppose to happen and why anyone (particularly amateurs) should take a shot at it ;-)

Lou Figueroa
hated dealing with the Washington Post
but knew it was the smart thing to do

JoeyA
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Joey, while I concede some threads here get out of hand, things have been pretty mild when it comes to threads about the Galveston event. I believe that is so because people want it to succeed, but have legitimate questions about it. That is, in part, a result of this being ballyhooed as a big money event, post-Trudeau, and that they are tossing around some very big numbers.

I was in Boston the last few days and finally saw a poster for the event, at World Class Billiards. On that poster they are advertising a total of $200,000 in first place monies, for all the events. IMO, when a promoter starts talking in numbers like that, they deserve a little more scrutiny than your average weekend $500 added event, from the players they are courting -- you know, the guys who they want to show up, investing their time, and monies in entry fees and travel expenses.

Basically, they're telling me that there's, at least, $200K out there to be won. But they sure are tight-lipped when it comes to telling us how that magic is suppose to happen and why anyone (particularly amateurs) should take a shot at it ;-)

Lou Figueroa
hated dealing with the Washington Post
but knew it was the smart thing to do

Lou,
Why don't you post a comment/question on their website in the payout section or anywhere else you choose?

In fact, why doesn't anyone who wants to ask a question about the tournament, go to their website www.theworldclassic.com and leave a comment.

FTR, I can only imagine that diplomatically phrased comments and questions will be acknowledged. I know I would answer and smart-azz questions.

Be concise and ask politely. Maybe you will get an answer. Just guessing.
Just leave off the fact that you are an AZ Billiards Main Forum member. LOL and J/k. Actually, there is no need to mention that you are an AZ Billiards Main Forum member......

JoeyA

JCIN
06-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Lou,
Why don't you post a comment/question on their website in the payout section or anywhere else you choose?

In fact, why doesn't anyone who wants to ask a question about the tournament, go to their website www.theworldclassic.com and leave a comment.

FTR, I can only imagine that diplomatically phrased comments and questions will be acknowledged. I know I would answer and smart-azz questions.

Just leave off the fact that you are an AZ Billiards Main Forum member. LOL and J/k. Actually, there is no need to mention that you are an AZ Billiards Main Forum member......

JoeyA

So these guys wouldn't answer a question if someone acknowledged they were from AZ? I missing something here? If this is true there is some serious arrogance going on down in Texas. News flash: This site and its members do more for pool than any bazillion dollar promise tournament.

I cant wait till this thing is over.

lfigueroa
06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Lou,

JoeyA

Joey. maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't Taylor Productions the guys that want us to attend? Don't they want pool players to send them entry fees; travel to their venue; to play in their event; all the while spending money on gas, plane tickets, rental car; hotel, food, and maybe something at the vendor booths?

I have no chance against the guys whose photos are on their poster: Efren, Varner, Bustamonte, Strickland, Archer, et al. It's a no-brainer for that level professional to attend, because they can actually win the advertised monies. But it would seem to me that if the promoters want players at my level to attend, I shouldn't have to chase them down and then disguise my identity to find out why the event is attractive to moi. Its not like any of us are applying for a job with them :-)

Lou Figueroa
OK, maybe one of us is ;-)

Bigtruck
06-27-2009, 09:37 AM
So these guys wouldn't answer a question if someone acknowledged they were from AZ? I missing something here? If this is true there is some serious arrogance going on down in Texas. News flash: This site and its members do more for pool than any bazillion dollar promise tournament.

I find it VERY peculiar too.

The questions that are being asked, here on AZ, are questions that are being asked in ANY discussion that comes up about this event. If the Rones were in a group of people having a discussion and the questions came up about TWC, It's the equivalent of them just turning and walking away. What would YOU think about that? They ARE reading AZ. It's not like we are random people.

Ray

ps. I have posted questions on their website. Still no answer.

ironman
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Joey. maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't Taylor Productions the guys that want us to attend? Don't they want pool players to send them entry fees; travel to their venue; to play in their event; all the while spending money on gas, plane tickets, rental car; hotel, food, and maybe something at the vendor booths?

I have no chance against the guys whose photos are on their poster: Efren, Varner, Bustamonte, Strickland, Archer, et al. It's a no-brainer for that level professional to attend, because they can actually win the advertised monies. But it would seem to me that if the promoters want players at my level to attend, I shouldn't have to chase them down and then disguise my identity to find out why the event is attractive to moi. Its not like any of us are applying for a job with them :-)

Lou Figueroa

Ding ding ding!!!! You are exactly right. It is not the top 12 finishers who make the event. IT is all the rest. That determines the result of any event!!!!

pocketspeed
06-27-2009, 01:38 PM

sorry this is pretty arrogant. AZB members love the game, thats for sure, but on the other hand i see some many well known well placed folks in the pool room come on here and say just wait something is in the works, and there never is. those "doing things for pool" are most likely doing things for themselves (making $$$). if the promoters pull off a great event, without the dubious help/advice of the mighty AZ Billiard,-players come, players get paid, fans have a great experience-there are going to be an aweful lot of posters on this forum who will need to eat crow. i personally hope this even is a huge success and kudo's to the promoters for trying.

brian

lfigueroa
06-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Ding ding ding!!!! You are exactly right. It is not the top 12 finishers who make the event. IT is all the rest. That determines the result of any event!!!!

Right. Any mega-pool event that you'd care to name, is borne on the backs of the fans, amateurs, hackers, and fantasy-camp players that are willing to donate and toss their money into the ring, to support the event , have a good time, and feel that they are getting a fair shake. IMO, when it comes to a big event, it's not about the top pros (who will chop up the big cash) -- it's about all the little guys that are going to fill out the *really* big field they need and are just happy to win their entry fee back.

But, seemingly, in this instance, the little guy isn't important enough to get answers to a few legit questions :-)

Lou Figueroa

thenuke
06-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Tap tap Ironman, you have it exactly right. I made my reservations for my wife and I a month ago (for 11 days-10th thru 20th).Iam entering 1-pocket and 9-ball and would entertain being on a team, if competitive. True, the 10-ball tourney is too rich for me to enter, but don't feel I could do very well in it anyways. Personally know of three top vendors who have already paid for their booths and will definitely be there. All I can do is participate and support these guys and wish them enough success to do it again next year. The pool world needs this and deserves the recognition that should develop from a tourney of this magnitude. Believe me everyone that attends will be very impreessed with Moody Gardens AND Galveston. Excellent vacation spot and only 45 miles from Houston.

JoeyA
06-27-2009, 09:41 PM

Lou Figueroa

Lou & Justin/JCIN,
Don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't say that they wouldn't answer your comment/questions if you said you were from AZ Billiards.

I said there was no need for you to say you were from AZBilliards.

JoeyA

JoeyA
06-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Justin,
Didn't you say you weren't going to this event?
JoeyA

JoeyA
06-27-2009, 09:53 PM
sorry this is pretty arrogant. AZB members love the game, thats for sure, but on the other hand i see some many well known well placed folks in the pool room come on here and say just wait something is in the works, and there never is. those "doing things for pool" are most likely doing things for themselves (making $$$). if the promoters pull off a great event, without the dubious help/advice of the mighty AZ Billiard,-players come, players get paid, fans have a great experience-there are going to be an aweful lot of posters on this forum who will need to eat crow. i personally hope this even is a huge success and kudo's to the promoters for trying.

brian

JCIN/Justin's post puzzles me too as well. I don't understand why someone would post that they can't wait until this is over. If you weren't interested in the tournament just tune out. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to go the extra effort to post that you can't wait until this is over.

Brian, while I've eaten my share of crow, it would be kind of fun to see some of the naysayers snacking-down on some dried crow's feet. :D

GO GALVESTON!

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

JoeyA

JCIN
06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Justin,
Didn't you say you weren't going to this event?
JoeyA

I was contemplating it just to see what happens but we are streaming the NCS 9 and 10 ball finals from the Golden Nugget in Vegas Sept. 3-7 and have a challenge match in the works for the weekend after Galveston in LA.

With all of that going on I doubt I will spend the $2000 and 10 days to go sweat it. The general consensus among the people I spoke with at the trade show this week ran the gamut from cautious optimism to expectations of a last minute cancellation. Not much unbridled enthusiasm due to the unorthodox communication and unusual payout structure. The thing that struck me was that at a gathering of all the industry heavy hitters no one was really excited about it. Maybe it was just the people I spoke with.

On a positive note all of the top American and European players I have talked to over the last week or so said they were going to go. One guy I talked to (who is wired in as well as anyone) said he had spoken with one of Efren's camp and that Efren had no plans to attend so who knows who will actually show up. I don't doubt that when it goes off there will be plenty of stars there to take a shot at those big promised paydays.

Maybe these guys really do have enough money not to care about the online community or word of mouth, if that is the case it doesnt really matter what I or anyone else here thinks they should or shouldn't do. If the money is there they can do whatever they like and people will show up. They just have to survive this one and the next one will be much easier. Several people were guessing a six figure loss at the least but I also heard from people who claimed to have spoke with organizers that they were expecting to lose in the beginning and were not worried about it.

The bottom line is that the people who were talking about the event were all speculating because the people who know things for sure haven't answered questions. I hope they hold the event, get what they are looking for, everyone gains some experience and trust and pool gets another big event. Personally I am just tired of guessing so I will wait and see. Ten days and a couple dimes is just too much to invest in an event that could care less to inform me of what is going on.

The reason I cant wait till its over is because I am tired of getting asked by people what I think about it, and wanting in the worst way to help get behind the damn thing, but not being able to because no one can get an answer to some fairly simple questions. I would love to go all out in support of this thing and I have talked to some others who feel the same way I do but without some answers people are not willing to go out on a limb. I doubt I could do much to help but I would sure try, some people I know could do a lot to help but decided it best to just wait and see due to basically being ignored when asking simple questions. They don't want any help that's fine, its their gig. But I don't think people that ask questions deserve to be called naysayers or accused of ill will just because they don't blindly follow.

JCIN
06-27-2009, 10:32 PM
sorry this is pretty arrogant. AZB members love the game, thats for sure, but on the other hand i see some many well known well placed folks in the pool room come on here and say just wait something is in the works, and there never is. those "doing things for pool" are most likely doing things for themselves (making $$$). if the promoters pull off a great event, without the dubious help/advice of the mighty AZ Billiard,-players come, players get paid, fans have a great experience-there are going to be an awful lot of posters on this forum who will need to eat crow. i personally hope this even is a huge success and kudo's to the promoters for trying.

brian

IMO you really do underestimate the ability this place to help things happen in the United States. Why would anyone who is investing the sums of money these guys are neglect the single easiest way of contacting and sharing information in the pool world?

Because someone might say something they dont like? If they are that thin skinned they are gonna be hating life if they get four or five hundred amateur teams and a room full of pros in one place. Every single promoter and organizer on earth has somebody somewhere pissed off at them over something. I think it makes more sense to communicate about the issues than just act like they are not there.

As far as the membership of this site just look at the list. Merchants, organizers, league operators, top players, cuemakers, industry big wigs and most important fans and everyday players who make or break any event get information here that they then spread around rooms all over. If you have ever heard someone in a pool room say "I saw it on the internet" chances are real good it was AZ. With regards to eating crow I have said from the beginning I hope they all get rich. Players, promoters, amateurs and pros. It just gets old asking the same questions and being told "Shut up and trust me." That just doesn't work for me anymore. I don't expect them to be in here answering every question in every post. But ten minutes every couple days spent searching the word "Galveston" and a few well placed replies would make a world of difference.

I am part of a business that is minuscule in comparison to the investment they have in this event and you better believe I pay attention to what our target market and customers have to say about what is going on. If they don't want to come here or anywhere else and answer the questions put to them that is fine with me and no skin off my back. They are the ones who have to overcome the barrier of being new and unknown. I had to do it and still do it everyday on a small scale, it just blows my mind to try and do it on a large scale with both hands tied behind your back.

But as I said above it really doesnt matter what anyone here thinks if they are willing to pay the money.

It always cracks me up when people take a shot at someone trying to make something happen in pool for trying to make money at it. You show me someone without at least a plan to make money on a project and I will show you something that is going to fail or get forgotten the first time someone gets bored or discouraged. If you look at the biggest and most successful things in pool they are all for profit. Accu-Stats and pool leagues being two of the most influential in my lifetime. Talent will work for awhile on passion alone but for it to last there has to be some measure of financial compensation.

frankncali
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I really have not see too many naysayers anywhere in any thread. What I have seen are hopeful but cautious pool players voicing logical questions and skepticism.
The event can and hopefully will be a success without the AZ community being involved. I just know if makes NO sense not to use the largest pool audience anywhere day in and day out.

Hey Joey...

Been forgetting to ask... not lon ago someone posted the Red and Harahan Eddie were playing. Who took it down?
I was talking about New Orleans and my time working offshore with a fellw today at a dog show. Turns out we spent time on the same rigs and roughly the same time. He was a Slidell native.

pocketspeed
06-28-2009, 05:26 AM
IMO you really do underestimate the ability this place to help things happen in the United States. Why would anyone who is investing the sums of money these guys are neglect the single easiest way of contacting and sharing information in the pool world?

Because someone might say something they dont like? If they are that thin skinned they are gonna be hating life if they get four or five hundred amateur teams and a room full of pros in one place. Every single promoter and organizer on earth has somebody somewhere pissed off at them over something. I think it makes more sense to communicate about the issues than just act like they are not there.

As far as the membership of this site just look at the list. Merchants, organizers, league operators, top players, cuemakers, industry big wigs and most important fans and everyday players who make or break any event get information here that they then spread around rooms all over. If you have ever heard someone in a pool room say "I saw it on the internet" chances are real good it was AZ. With regards to eating crow I have said from the beginning I hope they all get rich. Players, promoters, amateurs and pros. It just gets old asking the same questions and being told "Shut up and trust me." That just doesn't work for me anymore. I don't expect them to be in here answering every question in every post. But ten minutes every couple days spent searching the word "Galveston" and a few well placed replies would make a world of difference.

I am part of a business that is minuscule in comparison to the investment they have in this event and you better believe I pay attention to what our target market and customers have to say about what is going on. If they don't want to come here or anywhere else and answer the questions put to them that is fine with me and no skin off my back. They are the ones who have to overcome the barrier of being new and unknown. I had to do it and still do it everyday on a small scale, it just blows my mind to try and do it on a large scale with both hands tied behind your back.

But as I said above it really doesnt matter what anyone here thinks if they are willing to pay the money.

It always cracks me up when people take a shot at someone trying to make something happen in pool for trying to make money at it. You show me someone without at least a plan to make money on a project and I will show you something that is going to fail or get forgotten the first time someone gets bored or discouraged. If you look at the biggest and most successful things in pool they are all for profit. Accu-Stats and pool leagues being two of the most influential in my lifetime. Talent will work for awhile on passion alone but for it to last there has to be some measure of financial compensation.

JCIN i totally respect what guys have done and am glad that someone is able to eek out a living in the pool industry and my comments werent directly at you, but rather at the tone of almost all these galveston threads. "oh they havent consulted AZ Billiards, whats wrong with them".

i have to disagree with you. i think you are overestimating the "the ability of this place to make things happen". if you go into random poolrooms across america and ask folks i bet most of them dont even know what AZ is (hey they cant even name the stars in our sport). i dont blame the promoters for not participating in this forum. no matter what they bring to the table they are going to get ripped here. it would just be a waste of their time to have to deal with things here.

yes there are unanswered questions (important questions) so either support the event or dont. go or dont. play or not. but dont bust the promoters just b/c they have decided to not to be involved in AZ for this event.

again i hope that this is a very successful event. i wish i was in a position to go...

brian

JCIN
06-28-2009, 06:04 AM
JCIN i totally respect what guys have done and am glad that someone is able to eek out a living in the pool industry and my comments werent directly at you, but rather at the tone of almost all these galveston threads. "oh they havent consulted AZ Billiards, whats wrong with them".

i have to disagree with you. i think you are overestimating the "the ability of this place to make things happen". if you go into random poolrooms across america and ask folks i bet most of them dont even know what AZ is (hey they cant even name the stars in our sport). i dont blame the promoters for not participating in this forum. no matter what they bring to the table they are going to get ripped here. it would just be a waste of their time to have to deal with things here.

yes there are unanswered questions (important questions) so either support the event or dont. go or dont. play or not. but dont bust the promoters just b/c they have decided to not to be involved in AZ for this event.

again i hope that this is a very successful event. i wish i was in a position to go...

brian

Even the promoters who are not active here usually at least make an effort to reach out with some form of communication when something is coming up. Allen Hopkins Jr. posts when the Expo or something else is going on, Mark Griffin and Bill Stock of the BCAPL answer questions when something gets stirred up, Charlie Williams posts what are basically press releases and then never answers any questions but at least people can see what is going on. This place like it or not IS their target market.

I guess I just disagree that it is better to leave people in the dark than to have to wade through some silly or uninformed posts in order to spread the word. Nothing would make me happier than to sweat a great stream from a packed event come Sept. 11 and see players get a big payday at the end. The fact that I feel information could be disseminated better doesn't change that.

The promoters have some good ideas and have done much to get the event to this point and deserve credit for their efforts. The fact is time is getting short and many I have spoke with are reaching the point of fish or cut bait regarding waiting for information to make plans. Not the pro's....they are coming according to all I have talked to. It is the amateur and "dead money" (for lack of a better term and one I consider myself a part of) guys who enter with no expectation of getting that big first place check who will make or break this thing as mentioned numerous times here.

I agree that most people dont know about AZ. But that kind of proves my point. If someone who follows pool everyday on the internet can not get the info they need to commit to something how is Joe Blow in the pool room ever going to hope to get it? It's not like the info is out there somewhere and people have their panties in a bunch because it wasn't presented here on a silver platter with a thank you note. If it was out there it would find its way here. The fact that it hasn't just reinforces that all of those people who don't know about AZ have no hope of finding out about Galveston or anything to do with it.

I think TAR is as active as anybody here (too much so according to some) and every week I meet people in the local rooms who have no earthly idea what it is. I have no illusions about AZ being the end all be all but it is the best thing going for getting info to people.

jay helfert
06-28-2009, 06:49 AM

brian

Brian, you are missing the point here COMPLETELY! If you walked into random pool rooms and asked how many people planned to play in the Galveston World Classic they would look at you like you're crazy.

The point Justin was making is that if you are planning a professional pool tournament, you can reach MANY players who might support such an event thru AZ Billiards. That is a valid point. And one I made myself some time back on another thread about this upcoming event.

pocketspeed
06-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Brian, you are missing the point here COMPLETELY! If you walked into random pool rooms and asked how many people planned to play in the Galveston World Classic they would look at you like you're crazy.

The point Justin was making is that if you are planning a professional pool tournament, you can reach MANY players who might support such an event thru AZ Billiards. That is a valid point. And one I made myself some time back on another thread about this upcoming event.

i get that point jay. however if you walked into random pool rooms and asked how many were attending any other tourament-say turningstone, which is coming up and gets a fair amount of attention here an AZB you would likely get the same response b/c, and this is just my opinion, but most folks at the poolhall dont know about AZ and really dont follow the sport seriously. the only way that anyone at the room i shoot at heard about galveston is b/c of my son and i who heard via word of mouth from hillbilly at turningstone in february. and at this point even w/o participation from the promoters dont you think there has been plenty of publicity here? (granting not all important questions have been answered). i just dont think the reward to the promoters is worth the hassle they would have to go thru here.

brian

jay helfert
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
i get that point jay. however if you walked into random pool rooms and asked how many were attending any other tourament-say turningstone, which is coming up and gets a fair amount of attention here an AZB you would likely get the same response b/c, and this is just my opinion, but most folks at the poolhall dont know about AZ and really dont follow the sport seriously. the only way that anyone at the room i shoot at heard about galveston is b/c of my son and i who heard via word of mouth from hillbilly at turningstone in february. and at this point even w/o participation from the promoters dont you think there has been plenty of publicity here? (granting not all important questions have been answered). i just dont think the reward to the promoters is worth the hassle they would have to go thru here.

brian

What hassle is that Brian? I don't see that they've done anything on here except post Ads about their event. All the publicity has been generated by my fellow AZ'ers who are asking questions about the tournament.

You still don't get the point Justin and I have been trying to make. Your poolroom analogy has a few fatal flaws. The locals who hang out in your poolroom are not the potential customers for a pro event in Galveston, Texas. But the readers who hang out on AZ are. Do you get it now?

Bigtruck
06-28-2009, 07:20 AM

brian

I guess it just depends on what area you are in. I'm in Texas and if you walk into any poolroom around here, ALL the players know about AZ Billiards. Few know about the World Classic. I have been running a monthly event for going on 4 yrs. I have NEVER printed one flyer! I only advertise here and word of mouth.

AZ is THE best way to get info out around here!

Ray

JoeyA
06-28-2009, 07:57 AM

brian

Brian,
I think you have captured my perspective of this thread quite well and of course I think you are "spot on".
-----------------
JCIN, your post explains some of your displeasure with this event. Thanks for explaining. I know you didn't have to but it is appreciated. However, instead of saying that you can't wait for this event to be over, just tell the well intentioned questioners to go to the web site and leave comments or telephone the promoters at the numbers listed on the website at www.theworldclassic.com.

Have you left any comments there?

As to whether Efren is coming or not, I HAVE IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY THAT HE WILL BE THERE AND SO WILL BUSTAMANTE. One of us is getting bad information. ------------------------------------------------------

There is no doubt that AZBilliards has lots of fine members who know lots of people and communicating with them might be a way to get the word out to some of them but I am sure that the magazine advertisements are far more effective than word of mouth.

Like Brian said, I think AZBilliards Main Forum while valuable to the pool community, it often overstates its importance to the pool world. It is just an Internet Forum for pool junkies to hang out and talk about pool with a little flaming thrown in for good measure.

If we can turn the main forum into a body which has some clout in the pool world, like the WPA, then maybe at night we can shout from our rooftops, "AZ BILLIARDS KNOWS PEOPLE AND STUFF AND CAN HELP YOU PASS THE INFORMATION ON TO PEOPLE AND HELP YOU GET STUFF. :D Some members of AZ Billiards already make major contributions to the pool world but they don't do it as AZ Billiards Main Forum.

Brian, not to be redundant, but I think you got it right.

If you aren't going, just don't go. Why attempt to ruin the moment for other people who are happy to be going?

I've heard that Moody Gardens is worth the trip by itself. In fact, we have a couple of people from New Orleans who are going just to take their families to see the MANY DIFFERENT types of entertainment at the Moody Gardens. Check out www.moodygardens.com I'm sure those people will be putting in a little time at the tourament while their family are going to the IMAX 3D Theater, the 4D THEATER, THE PYRAMID RAIN FOREST or maybe chatting with the Penguins at the PYRAMID AQUARIUM. Don't waste your time playing on the brand new golf course, just play in the pool tournament. :smile:

I can't wait to see this place.
JoeyA

sixpack
06-28-2009, 08:40 AM

brian

I think there are a lot of folks in every pool hall who read Azb but won't admit it. When I am on the road I keep up with Azb on my iPhone. It never fails if I stop in a pool hall I'll hear echoes of
Stories, news or threads that are current on Azb. Yet players are reluctant to admit that's where they got their info.

One funny story. I was gambling with a guy in Bakersfield and I asked him if he was on Azb. He said he never heard of it and doesn't get on the Internet much. After we played for a while we start talking about local players so I ask him if he knows Jay Helfert. He thinks for a minute and says 'I know that name...' then a light goes on and he says "he's the guy who's always posting on the Internet!"

So, even if they won't admit it, a lot more people read Azb than youight realize.

~rc

jay helfert
06-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I think there are a lot of folks in every pool hall who read Azb but won't admit it. When I am on the road I keep up with Azb on my iPhone. It never fails if I stop in a pool hall I'll hear echoes of
Stories, news or threads that are current on Azb. Yet players are reluctant to admit that's where they got their info.

One funny story. I was gambling with a guy in Bakersfield and I asked him if he was on Azb. He said he never heard of it and doesn't get on the Internet much. After we played for a while we start talking about local players so I ask him if he knows Jay Helfert. He thinks for a minute and says 'I know that name...' then a light goes on and he says "he's the guy who's always posting on the Internet!"

So, even if they won't admit it, a lot more people read Azb than youight realize.

~rc

Ask him if he knows that I used to own a poolroom in Bakersfield? The Cue Ball Recreation at 19th and Chester downtown. It was there from 1963 to 1982. I was the second owner during the 1970's.

"T"
06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Like Brian said, I think AZBilliards Main Forum while valuable to the pool community, it often overstates its importance to the pool world. It is just an Internet Forum for pool junkies to hang out and talk about pool with a little flaming thrown in for good measure.

Please tell me someone hacked into your account and wrote this because I have to believe that you don't personally feel this way! :D

sixpack
06-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Ask him if he knows that I used to own a poolroom in Bakersfield? The Cue Ball Recreation at 19th and Chester downtown. It was there from 1963 to 1982. I was the second owner during the 1970's.

Yes. I remembered you saying that. That's why I asked him if he knew you. I won't ever see him again though. I was practicing and the bartender called him in to play me. I beat him and he said I was lucky that the good players were in la for a tournament. LOL!

~rc

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 09:50 AM

brian

You are really misunderstanding the basic bone of contention here. It's not about ""consulting" or "involving" AZ, it's about communicating with their target audience: pool players. IOW, just passing on some basic info. They don't have to ask any one's opinion about anything (though that wouldn't be too dumb). They should just be "using" the forum to pass along information to pool players who want to support their event, but have a couple or three questions about it before investing their time and money.

If you go into almost any pool room (and I get a chance to visit my fair share all over the country) many, if not most, players are not plugged in to what's going on concerning pool on the Internet. But that doesn't mean forums like AZ don't have an huge impact, because guess what: everyone seems to know who is plugged in. And it is those people that spread the word -- good and bad -- about upcoming events they've heard about ("I hear it's going to be the next DCC"), or those that have just happen ("I heard no one showed up; the players didn't get paid; and the promoter took a bath"). And from there, that word gets spread around the pool room, so that in 24 hours, everyone knows. Soooo, that flow of information is basically controlled by a few people. Guess who? That's right: the people right here reading this.

It's Communication 101. Some people are good at it and use the communication avenues available to them for maximum favorable impact and benefit to their cause. And others... well, you can figure that one out on your own :-)

Lou Figueroa

JoeyA
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
It's not about ""consulting" or "involving" AZ, it's about communicating with their target audience: pool players. IOW, just passing on some basic info. They don't have to ask anyone's opinion about anything (though that wouldn't be too dumb). They should just be "using" the forum to pass along information to pool players who want to support their event, but have a couple or three questions about it before investing their time and money.

If you go into almost any pool room (and I get a chance to visit my fair share all over the country) many, if not most, players are not plugged in to what's going on concerning pool on the Internet. But that doesn't mean forums like AZ don't have an huge impact, because guess what: everyone seems to know who is plugged in. And it is those people that spread the word -- good and bad -- about upcoming events they've heard about ("I hear it's going to be the next DCC"), or those that have just happen ("I heard no one showed up; the players didn't get paid; and the promoter took a bath"). And from there, that word gets spread around the pool room, so that in 24 hours, everyone knows. Soooo, that flow of information is basically controlled by a few people. Guess who? That's right: the people right here reading this.

It's Communication 101. Some people are good at it and use the communication avenues available to them for maximum favorable impact and benefit to their cause. And others... well, you can figure that one out on your own :-)

Lou Figueroa

Lou,
As usual you bring up good points.
Perhaps the promoters made a mistake by not utilizing AZ Billiards as a resource or maybe they are, just not the way that some of us would like them to. But that doesn't give the posters the right to use demagougery to discourage others from appreciating and going to this event.

Asking questions is not demagougery but insinuations of failure, insinuations of not being paid, insinuations of tournament not being held, insinuations of tournament being a miserable one, insinuations of lack of financial capabilities, insinuations ad nauseum ARE.

It is not the questions but the additional angst and disdain that appears in many of the posts that I have a problem with.

The tongue in cheek "I hope this tournament is successful" comments are a joke, when they are combined with the negativity that has permeated this thread, imo.

You are contemplating going to this tournament.

Have you taken the time to telephone any of the promoters to ask them about your concerns?

Have you left comments on their website?

Thanks,
JoeyA

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Lou,
As usual you bring up good points.
Perhaps the promoters made a mistake by not utilizing AZ Billiards as a resource or maybe they are, just not the way that some of us would like them to. But that doesn't give the posters the right to use demagougery to discourage others from appreciating and going to this event.

Asking questions is not demagougery but insinuations of failure, insinuations of not being paid, insinuations of tournament not being held, insinuations of tournament being a miserable one, insinuations of lack of financial capabilities, insinuations ad nauseum ARE.

It is not the questions but the additional angst and disdain that appears in many of the posts that I have a problem with.

The tongue in cheek "I hope this tournament is successful" comments are a joke, when they are combined with the negativity that has permeated this thread, imo.

You are contemplating going to this tournament.

Have you taken the time to telephone any of the promoters to ask them about your concerns?

Have you left comments on their website?

Thanks,
JoeyA

I just don't see all the negativism (and demagoguery?!) here that you do, Joey. Frankly, I don't even see all the "insinuations" you do either. What I do see are people voicing their opinions, asking questions (that go unanswered) and citing past history of other, sometimes similar, sometimes not, events.

Really, what's happening is classic and you could probably do a case study on it: in the absence of the promoters filling the media channels with their message and their talking points and controlling the discussion, the communication vacuum gets filled up anyway, probably with a lot of stuff they would rather not hear. But that's just what happens when you don't participate in the discussion :-)

Lou Figueroa
use to teach
a class on this
all over the country :-)

pocketspeed
06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
You are really misunderstanding the basic bone of contention here. It's not about ""consulting" or "involving" AZ, it's about communicating with their target audience: pool players. IOW, just passing on some basic info. They don't have to ask any one's opinion about anything (though that wouldn't be too dumb). They should just be "using" the forum to pass along information to pool players who want to support their event, but have a couple or three questions about it before investing their time and money.

Lou Figueroa

respectfully lou i dont think i am missing the bone of contention here at all. i know that the promoters havent been as forthcoming with certain details as we would like them to be. ask your questions if you like. if the answers are not forthcoming, then do what you need to, but dont flame what could be a great event. i think some AZB'ers got a little ruffled b/c their input wasnt sought and horror of all horros the promoters arent on here to receive their just flaming b/c you know thats exactly what would happen.

theres an old saying that when you do what you've always done, you're gonna get what you always got.

these guys are putting up their money, putting in their time and effort and it should be their right to run things the way they want. hopefully they'll get a good result.

brian

JoeyA
06-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I just don't see all the negativism (and demagoguery?!) here that you do, Joey. Frankly, I don't even see all the "insinuations" you do either. What I do see are people voicing their opinions, asking questions (that go unanswered) and citing past history of other, sometimes similar, sometimes not, events.

Really, what's happening is classic and you could probably do a case study on it: in the absence of the promoters filling the media channels with their message and their talking points and controlling the discussion, the communication vacuum gets filled up anyway, probably with a lot of stuff they would rather not hear. But that's just what happens when you don't participate in the discussion :-)

Lou Figueroa
use to teach
a class on this
--------------------------------------

SO.....................

Did you telephone the promoters?
Did you leave a comment on their website?

JoeyA (thinks Lou is avoiding my questions )

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
respectfully lou i dont think i am missing the bone of contention here at all. i know that the promoters havent been as forthcoming with certain details as we would like them to be. ask your questions if you like. if the answers are not forthcoming, then do what you need to, but dont flame what could be a great event. i think some AZB'ers got a little ruffled b/c their input wasnt sought and horror of all horros the promoters arent on here to receive their just flaming b/c you know thats exactly what would happen.

theres an old saying that when you do what you've always done, you're gonna get what you always got.

these guys are putting up their money, putting in their time and effort and it should be their right to run things the way they want. hopefully they'll get a good result.

brian

Show me anywhere where I have "flamed" the event.

While you're looking, check out all the times I wished them well. And like I said: it's not about input and ruffled feathers. I think everyone wants this event to fly, because then it's win-win for the promoters and the players.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 11:08 AM
--------------------------------------

SO.....................

JoeyA (thinks Lou is avoiding my questions )

Nope.

I've heard people on the internet say they don't respond there either :-)

Lou Figueroa

JoeyA
06-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Nope.

Lou Figueroa

I always thought that Spin Doctors don't listen to what other people say. :-)
JoeyA (At least Lou's not ignoring my questions any longer) still :frown:

pocketspeed
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Show me anywhere where I have "flamed" the event.

While you're looking, check out all the times I wished them well. And like I said: it's not about input and ruffled feathers. I think everyone wants this event to fly, because then it's win-win for the promoters and the players.

Lou Figueroa

i didnt say you ever flamed the event lou. i was just responding to your post that apparently i had missed the bone of contention. from some of the posts here i am not sure that everyone wants this event to fly. i'm glad you do. these guys are actually doing something to advance pool unlike some here who say "just wait somethings in the works" and nothing ever is.

brian

AuntyDan
06-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Why does this surprise you? In the absence of any independently confirmable facts the only choice is to either hope for the best, assume the worst, or simply keep your head down until it all blows over and the facts are revealed over time.

I can't see any of these three positions as being more or less valid than the others at present. Therefore for people to continually criticize each because of which position they have taken is pointless. There's plenty of perfectly reasonable reasons to treat this production with the utmost cynicism. There are also plenty of reasons why boosters of Pool in the USA should be supporting it, after all we all know there's a dearth of money in the Pro game and anything that can improve that has to be a good thing, right?

Now me personally I'm hoping for a grand failure, followed by months of recriminations, investigative journalism, and bizarre public announcements as this makes for much better sarcasm fodder (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=518640). That's just the way I ride ;-)

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I always thought that Spin Doctors don't listen to what other people say. :-)
JoeyA (At least Lou's not ignoring my questions any longer) still :frown:

Joey, in the week since we've spoken, I have made up my mind about this event.

As you well know, people here communicate, not only on the forum, but also via phone, PM, email, and face-to-face (I'm not Twittering, just yet :-) So, since then, I have gained enough info to make, what I consider for me personally -- and in the light of squadoush from the promoters -- an informed decision.

So, basically, you are *way* off base. But I'll let that play out on it's own.

I would tell you what my decision is -- and why -- but honestly, I don't want to go through all the BS charges of: negativism, discouragement, arrogance, over-importance, insinuations, demagoguery, and flaming (just to name a few).

Seems if you just ask what time the event is going off, the kool-aid drinking cheerleading crowd is more than ready to throw a hissy fit (you know who you are :-) So I'll just pass, sit back, and see how things shake out.

Have a nice day :-)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
i didnt say you ever flamed the event lou. i was just responding to your post that apparently i had missed the bone of contention. from some of the posts here i am not sure that everyone wants this event to fly. i'm glad you do. these guys are actually doing something to advance pool unlike some here who say "just wait somethings in the works" and nothing ever is.

brian

I agree 110%. I hope this is the greatest thing since Johnston City. It'd be great for pool.

Lou Figueroa

JoeyA
06-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Lou Figueroa
use to teach
a class on this

Lou,
I just grabbed a few of the comments from some of the threads and lopped them together. I left off the "constructive criticism" questions and comments. These were just a few that I thought were of a negative nature.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'll bet this tournament never comes to life. It would be nice if it did, but everything I've heard is negative.

They have grandiose plans for this event with many questions unanswered.

Isn't Galveston nothing but a pile of sand now? Would everyone just camp out on the beach? Are the tables going to be the outdoor kind?

With no more planning and promotion than we've seen so far, if it does come off, it is almost sure to be a disaster for someone.

The one constant I have heard is there is no added money.

Looks like they will be taking a bath if they hold the event.
I hope a lot of us are wrong here.
These are the type of conversations that concern me. All hype and no bite! Statements like this just turn me off, and speak AMATEUR!

The silence from the Diamond guys, (Greg and Mark) on this subject is deafening. Its almost as if they are taking a wait and see attitude also. Surely they have a monster contract for tables, don't they ?

These are dangerous times for anyone trying to make money in any endeavour related to pool.
If they get 20 paid vendors I think they will be doing well.

I am getting the opinion that the promoter have a bit of arrogance in them.
Sorry to be "cryptic" here, but my source has asked to remain confidential.

The next step will be whether they pay the upfront table contract costs, which are due pretty soon. I agree with Jay here.
However, that said, there have been many so-called 'events' like this, that didn't come off because of poor planning, no money, or any of a dozen other reasons.

I asked very pointed questions about the prize money and got somewhat curious answers, including that money was being taken out of the entry fees for various charities and other expenses. How much was unclear.

Regardless of my best intentions to not look like an ass, looking back, it appears I gave some positive judgement far too soon.....while I thought it would be a week, it has been almost two months....still too many unanswered questions....coupled with recent posts, the deposit check arriving late, concerns around actual numbers, and now an inability to keep ones word with regard to an online chat, I feel a bit misled....
I'm pissed and I'm out on principal....take pics and have fun....
(not that anybody cares, I am just venting ;0)

I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Don't get me wrong -- it'd be great to have a big event that time of year. But it just doesn't add up for me.

Joey, KT has a lot of money too.

Clark seemed very appreciative when I gave him my contact info. He said he would be in touch with me soon. I have yet too hear from him. That speaks legends to me. Sorry to put a damper on things, but I'm a realist. I want to see how this one plays out first before I ante up my time and money.

Funny how nobody has ever heard of 'Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC', but their exclusive domain is producing pool and billiard events. IMO, just another slam at entities like TAR, that already exist, already have a track record, and already have an audience. These guys are gonna produce their event, their way (with no communication with, nor advice from, experts who have done this before), using their people...and experience be damned! Well, good luck fellas!

Nothing has been put in escrow. Escrow means it is in a bank account, and can be verified by independent people (ie. the players, or a players' representative). The promoters have SAID they are guaranteeing 1st place prize money for each event (that doesn't mean it's in escrow somewhere). That says nothing about the payout for the rest of the paid field...which apparently the promoters don't feel like they need to provide details for. There are certainly precedents already for promoters who said the money was guaranteed, but when push came to shove, it wasn't.

Best of luck to all the players, professional and amateur, who show up and play! :grin:

So, how about letting the rest of us in on who Hot Ticket Entertainment is. What was their "old" name? A quick google search on "Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC" only turns up the press release referred to by the OP. If they are, as you say, "experienced and highly competent" professionals with a track record of providing high quality production of billiard events, I would think several AZBers would know who they are.

Just asking...

The other reason we will not be going is that quite frankly these guys don't seem to know what in the hell they are doing.

Joey, FYI MANY people in the billiard business make good use of these forums and for good reason. Those that don't only handicap themselves and the events they are trying to promote.

SO.....................

Nope.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, this is JoeyA, the last one was kind of week, but I had a little trouble cutting and pasting from that ruthless knocker. j/k. REALLY! It was thrown in because I ran out of negative stuff to copy and paste and just having fun with one of the posters.

I left off the names of the individuals who said these things on purpose. No need to get any more personal than I/we already have. This isnít meant to criticize or single any one person out. The purpose was to answer Louís questions about not seeing any negativity in these threads about the Galveston Tournament.
If you donít find these statements negative, then I just canít discuss this with you.

It is my opinion and not the opinion of the promoters or anyone else that if I read these statements, I would get the impression that you were being negative. But maybe Iím the only one in the world that thinks these statements are negative.

I think that outsiders look at these type of comments and say, "WOW! Those AZBiliards guys don't cut anyone any slack. In fact, it looks like they should be the ones organizing and promoting pool tournaments. It's probably best for us to avoid this type of obvious pessimism and negativity".

Now, all of you, seriously, take a look at these statements collectively and tell me that you would want to interact with AZ Billiards Main Forum.

I think AZ Billiards main forum (myself included) could improve on how we encourage promoters to invest their money in pool tournaments.

Maybe, there are good reasons other than my perceived negativity that has prevented the promoters from contacting AZ Billiards Main Forum.

Maybe, some of the reasons will be forthcoming.

Maybe, some additional good news is on the way.

Stay tuned as the www.theworldclassic.com beaches at Galveston, TX.

JoeyA

jay helfert
06-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Lou,
I just grabbed a few of the comments from some of the threads and lopped them together. I left off the "constructive criticism" questions and comments. These were just a few that I thought were of a negative nature.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'll bet this tournament never comes to life. It would be nice if it did, but everything I've heard is negative.

Isn't Galveston nothing but a pile of sand now? Would everyone just camp out on the beach? Are the tables going to be the outdoor kind?

With no more planning and promotion than we've seen so far, if it does come off, it is almost sure to be a disaster for someone.

These are the type of conversations that concern me. All hype and no bite! Statements like this just turn me off, and speak AMATEUR!

The silence from the Diamond guys, (Greg and Mark) on this subject is deafening. Its almost as if they are taking a wait and see attitude also. Surely they have a monster contract for tables, don't they ?

These are dangerous times for anyone trying to make money in any endeavour related to pool.

The next step will be whether they pay the upfront table contract costs, which are due pretty soon. I agree with Jay here.
However, that said, there have been many so-called 'events' like this, that didn't come off because of poor planning, no money, or any of a dozen other reasons.

I asked very pointed questions about the prize money and got somewhat curious answers, including that money was being taken out of the entry fees for various charities and other expenses. How much was unclear.

Regardless of my best intentions to not look like an ass, looking back, it appears I gave some positive judgement far too soon.....while I thought it would be a week, it has been almost two months....still too many unanswered questions....coupled with recent posts, the deposit check arriving late, concerns around actual numbers, and now an inability to keep ones word with regard to an online chat, I feel a bit misled....

I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Don't get me wrong -- it'd be great to have a big event that time of year. But it just doesn't add up for me.

Clark seemed very appreciative when I gave him my contact info. He said he would be in touch with me soon. I have yet too hear from him. That speaks legends to me. Sorry to put a damper on things, but I'm a realist. I want to see how this one plays out first before I ante up my time and money.

Funny how nobody has ever heard of 'Hot Ticket Entertainment, LLC', but their exclusive domain is producing pool and billiard events. IMO, just another slam at entities like TAR, that already exist, already have a track record, and already have an audience. These guys are gonna produce their event, their way (with no communication with, nor advice from, experts who have done this before), using their people...and experience be damned! Well, good luck fellas!

Nothing has been put in escrow. Escrow means it is in a bank account, and can be verified by independent people (ie. the players, or a players' representative). The promoters have SAID they are guaranteeing 1st place prize money for each event (that doesn't mean it's in escrow somewhere). That says nothing about the payout for the rest of the paid field...which apparently the promoters don't feel like they need to provide details for. There are certainly precedents already for promoters who said the money was guaranteed, but when push came to shove, it wasn't.

Best of luck to all the players, professional and amateur, who show up and play! :grin:

Just asking...

The other reason we will not be going is that quite frankly these guys don't seem to know what in the hell they are doing.

Joey, FYI MANY people in the billiard business make good use of these forums and for good reason. Those that don't only handicap themselves and the events they are trying to promote.

SO.....................

Nope.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, this is JoeyA, the last one was kind of week, but I had a little trouble cutting and pasting from that ruthless knocker. j/k. REALLY! It was thrown in because I ran out of negative stuff to copy and paste and just having fun with one of the posters.

I left off the names of the individuals who said these things on purpose. No need to get any more personal than I/we already have. This isnít meant to criticize or single any one person out. The purpose was to answer Louís questions about not seeing any negativity in these threads about the Galveston Tournament.
If you donít find these statements negative, then I just canít discuss this with you.

It is my opinion and not the opinion of the promoters or anyone else that if I read these statements, I would get the impression that you were being negative. But maybe Iím the only one in the world that thinks these statements are negative.

I think that outsiders look at these type of comments and say, "WOW! Those AZBiliards guys don't cut anyone any slack. In fact, it looks like they should be the ones organizing and promoting pool tournaments. It's probably best for us to avoid this type of obvious pessimism and negativity".

Now, all of you, seriously, take a look at these statements collectively and tell me that you would want to interact with AZ Billiards Main Forum.

I think AZ Billiards main forum (myself included) could improve on how we encourage promoters to invest their money in pool tournaments.

Maybe, there are good reasons other than my perceived negativity that has prevented the promoters from contacting AZ Billiards Main Forum.

Maybe, some of the reasons will be forthcoming.

Maybe, some additional good news is on the way.

Stay tuned as the www.theworldclassic.com beaches at Galveston, TX.

JoeyA

Joey whether you realize it or not, you have just made a strong argument for questioning the veracity of this event. If one were to read all the posts above objectively, I think they would begin to wonder why so many people are saying these things and asking these questions. If everything were hunky dory, would we all be having this conversation?

I think you have made a strong argument for the Taylor Road crew to go out of their way to respond. I think someone else said " The silence is deafening." Yes, there is some negativity here, but that is based on someone's perception too, just as yours is. What you "perceive" as negative, someone else may view as voicing a legitimate concern.

After reading all the above, one thing I would agree with is that the promoters of this event should be all over it. The fact that they have chosen not to respond is worrisome to me. Is it just that they do not have the answers to these concerns and would prefer to ignore them? I don't know Joey. Do you?

ironman
06-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Joey whether you realize it or not, you have just made a strong argument for questioning the veracity of this event. If one were to read all the posts above objectively, I think they would begin to wonder why so many people are saying these things and asking these questions. If everything were hunky dory, would we all be having this conversation?

I think you have made a strong argument for the Taylor Road crew to go out of their way to respond. I think someone else said " The silence is deafening." Yes, there is some negativity here, but that is based on someone's perception too, just as yours is. What you "perceive" as negative, someone else may view as voicing a legitimate concern.

After reading all the above, one thing I would agree with is that the promoters of this event should be all over it. The fact that they have chosen not to respond is worrisome to me. Is it just that they do not have the answers to these concerns and would prefer to ignore them? I don't know Joey. Do you?

Very well said Jay. I think the old " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really applies here.

I feel badly in a way for these guys though. As soon as word got around about this happening, they were attacked by everyone on the planet. The players have hounded them to death and with every little "don't you know who I am" trick there is. I know they have gotten tired of it,,,,,but to ignore,,IMO,,, is the absolute worst they can do.

Putting on a big event is not like selling a production line product. They will sell themselves in most cases. Tournaments are a service based idea and in that world your worth is based on your ability to splatter and scatter information. Each question has to be handled and with the idea that there are no dumb questions only dumb answers.

If they think they are getting defensive now, just wait until about day 3 of the tornament and they start hearing all the "what you should have dones". Those can make one want to run and hide eveytime someone makes eye contact.

Still, I wish them well. It is a great oppritunity. I'm reminded of an old tv comercial slogan, "one only has one shot at a first impression"!!

Tom In Cincy
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Are there any questions that go unanswered for the DCC, US Open 9 Ball, BCAPL yearly Vegas, Turning Stone or any other major event?

They were all NEW at one time and they all provided information for all that were interested.

Is it too much to ask? apparently it is too soon and maybe it is too much.

I will not be attending the inaugual event.

lfigueroa
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
lol. But I have a couple of minutes to kill, so here (at top speed) is my take/response:

Positive sentiment; states hearsay in absence of info from promoters.

They are planning a big event and there are many unanswered questions, so you have two factual statements.

Legit question about the condition of the area, post hurricane, with a bit of humor thrown in.

Given the dearth of info to date, a legit statement of opinion.

Don’t know when this one was made ?!

Perhaps this individual is an accountant, (or maybe just someone with basic math skills :-) Positive statement of support and then a candid opinion of the event based, presumably, on what has been forthcoming so far.

Maybe this was when we were waiting to hear about the deposit to Diamond, while Diamond’s check was in the mail.

Valid statement of the fact and opinion on the vendor situation.

Clearly identified as an opinion (one of those is OK to voice, isn’t it?)

Historical review accurately states some facts relevant to past pool events.

Just relates unsatisfying Q&A experience, perhaps with the promoters?

Relates personal experience and dissatisfaction with information available (hmmm, a common theme emerges?)

Another opinion, perhaps fueled by too little info from the promoters?

Just a statement of fact -- no insinuation made.

Failed promise, related by individual to whom promise was made by promoter (Clark)?

A TAR fan speaks his mind!

A fiduciary discussion of the term “escrow” far above my head.

Best of luck to all the players, professional and amateur, who show up and play!

Why this one is on your list of negativity, I have no idea.

Just asking...

A legitimate question about HTE.

Based upon what has been release so far…

Someone who knows a little about promoting pool events voices their opinion.

Yeah! Why?

An AZ fan sticks up for his peeps.

Someone just venting and voicing their frustration over the lack of info out there on this event?

So where's the negativity?

I will tell you though that you've done a rather funny thing, Joey:

First, you just re-shot all these comments you deem "negative" back out into play -- here we were, all boppin' along to greener pastures, and you dragged all this stuff back up and put it back on the table for further discussion, instead of letting them fade into the ozone. Bad move, if your concern is about "too much negativity" :-)

Second, as others have pointed out, you've also cobbled together a very cogent argument to support those that are less than happy with the information flow on this event. Taken as a whole, it is clear that a significant portion of Galveston's target audience ain't happy and, forced to make decisions in the dark, are playing it safe.

Lastly, you make it abundantly clear that, to you, anything less than blind support and allegiance for and to this event constitutes mutiny.

That's not funny, it's sad.

Lou Figueroa

JoeyA
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
First, you just re-shot all these comments you deem "negative" back out into play -- here we were, all boppin' along to greener pastures, and you dragged all this stuff back up and put it back on the table for further discussion, instead of letting them fade into the ozone. Bad move, if your concern is about "too much negativity" :-)

Second, as others have pointed out, you've also cobbled together a very cogent argument to support those that are less than happy with the information flow on this event. Taken as a whole, it is clear that a significant portion of Galveston's target audience ain't happy and, forced to make decisions in the dark, are playing it safe.

Lastly, you make it abundantly clear that, to you, anything less than blind support and allegiance for and to this event constitutes mutiny.

Lou Figueroa[/QUOTE]

Well Lou, you have proved my point. You are the master spin doctor.

What is abundantly clear is that the naysayers are holding their ground and proud of it.

I don't have any problem with people asking questions. That's a good thing. It's how you ask them.

YOU, wouldn't even go to their website or telephone them with your questions. That shows how interested you are in really having your questions answered.

I hope the naysayers who apparently weren't going to the tournament in the first place and just wanted to persuade the "lemmings" to not go also. Hopefully, the naysayers will have failed.

Oh well, some say the glass is half empty. Some say it half full.

It is clear as to where the naysayers stand. That's what's really sad.

JoeyA

lfigueroa
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM

What is abundantly clear is that the naysayers are holding their ground and proud of it.

I don't have any problem with people asking questions. That's a good thing. It's how you ask them.

YOU, wouldn't even go to their website or telephone them with your questions. That shows how interested you are in really having your questions answered.

I hope the naysayers who apparently weren't going to the tournament in the first place and just wanted to persuade the "lemmings" to not go also. Hopefully, the naysayers will have failed.

JoeyA

So you're saying I can't win -- I either endorse your point of view, or I'm a "spin doctor." Nice.

And, I'm not proud of anything (I don't know about anyone else around here). Seems to me that you like to paint, not with a broad brush, but by opening up a big ole can of paint and sloshing it all over anyone on the opposite side of the can :-)

Based upon your comment above, it is now clear that folks have to ask questions phrased in such a manner so as to just suit you. Nice, again, but, "Homey don't play that."

And as I pointed out to you before, you are way off base. I have gathered all the info I need to make my decision, so no, I don't need to go to them (which is a clear reversal of roles anyway).

Lastly, just because you call someone a "naysayer" doesn't make it so. Name calling usually doesn't and intelligent people can make that distinction. Others -- YKWYA -- apparently can't :-)

Lou Figueroa

Tom In Cincy
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
This is what the online dictionary defines as a 'nayser'

I don't think I would be defined as any of thse definitions. Do you JoeyA?

Seems like most of these posters are just asking questions.

Noun 1. naysayer - someone with an aggressively negative attitude

obstructer, obstructionist, obstructor, resister, thwarter - someone who systematically obstructs some action that others want to take

technophobe - a person who dislikes or avoids new technology

BTW all the press releases (at least to date) are on a single magazine's website.
Not Billiards Digest or Pool and Billiards, nor is there anything on AZBilliards website pertaining to news releases from Galvaston TX

Bigtruck
06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Joey,

You got me ROTFLMAO!! NO One on this thread would EVER have any reason to hope the "lemmings" don't go.

I don't think ANY of those comments would have ever been made if the questions were answered. They were ALL good questions and, as Lou proved, a little spin can go a long way. No spin can SPIN out of control.

I think that not only would the "lemmings" be going but almost ALL the guys asking the questions would have been making travel plans right now.......if the Rones would simply answer some simple questions. That's why I tried to do the "live chat".

I think they are just nervous about the event and are afraid of committing to everything and then being criticized for making changes. I don't agree with the silence, obviously, but I will still go because I'm just up the road! ;)

Ray

Cuephoric
06-30-2009, 01:50 AM

Lou Figueroa

JoeyA[/QUOTE]

I say it's halfway to the next glass!:thumbup:

Their webpage is my explorer homepage, so I can check updates whenever I can log on, and I hope that it gets some good support-
We need another big venue for pool players that's more centralized, and if this one makes that grade and pulls in the crowds, why would anyone be disparaging about it- the worst it can do is help things out when we need something else to do, and the best it can do is help things out when we need something else to do, and get more publicity for pool.....
I hope it turns into an annual event if they keep on the track that they are starting on.
Now if we could just get them to show up and answers some questions from the masses, maybe we could put some of this to rest, and get ready for a roadtrip!