PDA

View Full Version : Tipping The Table Mechanic

thewonder
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I am having a table driven to me and setup. The mechanic and I have already discussed the price. I was wondering if I am suppose to tip the mechanic or just pay him the price we agreed on originally? Obviously if he does something extra he will be compensated.

Thanks

NewStroke
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Funny you mention that, my table mechanic will not accept anything extra, except for possibly a glass of ice tea or two.

xianmacx
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
My last setup recover, I tipped 20 percent. Probably high, but he also let me hang out and pester him with questions the whole time he was working.

Matt Stockman
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I tipped the guys that did mine $20 a piece. They were on their 3rd table of the day, and looked flat out gassed! I felt bad for them.

Rich93
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
There was a thread on this in the "talk to a mechanic" section:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=142662

I would say it depends. If you feel they have charged a fair price for the work they did, I see no reason to tip them. Do you tip a plumber or the TV repair guy? No, because they charge a lot for their time and expertise already.

But recently Glen Hancock (realkingcobra) worked on my table. For the time he put in and the extreme care with which he did the work, I thought he should have charged more, so I gave him what I hope was a generous tip. I never felt that way about mechanics before Glen.

Also, by the by, Glen's work made clear that the mechanics I had before him weren't very good at their jobs.

dr2112
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
20$ a piece is what i tipped the guys to. I recommend watching them.

Good Luck and have fun with your new table .
Darin

Matt Stockman
06-25-2009, 02:51 PM
20$ a piece is what i tipped the guys to. I recommend watching them.

Good Luck and have fun with your new table .
Darin

Ya, I definitely watched them, and I think that is partly why I felt compelled to tip them. They were really entertaining with all of their stories about the different places and people they had come across. Plus the whole process is very interesting to watch.