PDA

View Full Version : The Canadians

Philthepockets
08-18-2009, 10:30 AM
For a national event the mix of players for this is dismal. Representation from the Western provinces almost non existent. Not sure where this has all gone wrong but looking at the way the qualifiers or lack there of where done I am not surprised by the results. I get to most of the billiard rooms in the Vancouver area on a regular basis and I never even saw a poster for this event in any of them, something is lacking.
Either our Provincial associations are not putting in the effort or the CBSA is failing to properly promote the game and attract players from the provinces.
Pool & Snooker is in serious trouble in Canada, the popularity is waining and over the last few years the market for room owners and the billiard industry in general has been rapidly shrinking. I foresee that if this trend continues there won't be an industry in Canada, we won't have any rooms and very few players on the world stage to be proud of. There are many people that make their living in this industry, from table fitters to cue makers, jobs are being lost.
I know the industry is suffering all over with the current economy but I see that the industry in Canada is particularly effected as this trend started well before the meltdown.
Action is required, I believe our national association must take a responsible position and make every effort to promote the game within Canada, all of Canada. This means working with provincial associations, room owners and anyone in the billiards industry on a plan for promotion, grass roots development and exposure. Improving the image and developing new young players to international standards.
This will mean finding ways of making it financially viable for players to participate in regional, national and international competition.
They will have their work cut out for sure but this needs to move forward soon if you want to see the survival of cue sports and the billiards industry in Canada.

JD_Hogg
08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
As far as I know the CBSA only runs this one event each year. The only income they take in is from the $25 membership fee’s players pay when entering either qualifiers or the Canadians. So I wouldn’t think there is much of a cash pool to promote and do the things we would like to see done(like no entry fee’s for Juniors, ect)

It would be nice if they could run a monthly tourney, nationally, to help generate more income. Something like Ontario’s 404 tourneys. I think Quebec also has a provincial league, with Open, A, B and C divisions. I’ve been to their website but its all in French and I can’t read it but it looks cool. It would just be cool to have a tourney/league format run, with the end payoff being the Canadians. As long as each event paid out to the players I think they could draw. Maybe 20% goes to cbsa or something.

I guess since all of the cbsa’s work is volunteer its hard to ask them to do more. It wouldn’t surprise me if they weren’t constantly having to spend their own cash just to make things work the way they do. Pretty thankless job.

Maybe its just time to get some new younger folks in there running things with a fresher outlook. Not sure what the answer is.

I know all the CBSA board members try hard and for that thanks!!!

sly
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
well they could of put a poster up at shooters don't you think

xxxbilliards
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
For a national event the mix of players for this is dismal. Representation from the Western provinces almost non existent. Not sure where this has all gone wrong but looking at the way the qualifiers or lack there of where done I am not surprised by the results. I get to most of the billiard rooms in the Vancouver area on a regular basis and I never even saw a poster for this event in any of them, something is lacking.
Either our Provincial associations are not putting in the effort or the CBSA is failing to properly promote the game and attract players from the provinces.
Pool & Snooker is in serious trouble in Canada, the popularity is waining and over the last few years the market for room owners and the billiard industry in general has been rapidly shrinking. I foresee that if this trend continues there won't be an industry in Canada, we won't have any rooms and very few players on the world stage to be proud of. There are many people that make their living in this industry, from table fitters to cue makers, jobs are being lost.
I know the industry is suffering all over with the current economy but I see that the industry in Canada is particularly effected as this trend started well before the meltdown.
Action is required, I believe our national association must take a responsible position and make every effort to promote the game within Canada, all of Canada. This means working with provincial associations, room owners and anyone in the billiards industry on a plan for promotion, grass roots development and exposure. Improving the image and developing new young players to international standards.
This will mean finding ways of making it financially viable for players to participate in regional, national and international competition.
They will have their work cut out for sure but this needs to move forward soon if you want to see the survival of cue sports and the billiards industry in Canada.

I for one agreed with you, it seems that something is missing and I believe that someone like my self knows first hand the woes.
I someone has the vision to promote the sports will be a blessing
Take care and good luck

bgrierson
08-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Speaking for Alberta, It is unfortunate that very fews players traveled to Toronto this year for the Canadians....I know one thing though, they had every oppurtunity to do so. I have set up direct entry qualifiers all over the province from Edmonton to Red Deer to Calgary the last two years and the turnout has been a joke (It was better 2 years when I secured $2,000 in added money) and have lost money out of pocket doing this!
The attitude that some of these "players" exhibit in email correspendace with me and other players is comical...I won't mention names but there is one particular player from Edmonton that is somewhat accomplished and he picks apart dates for tournaments, talks about conflicting dates for some Snooker and 9-Ball qualifiers and to be honest is just no fun to chat with and has yet to play in one qualifying event.
The bottom line is that speaking for this province specifically....I see why nobody wants to do this!!!!

DelayedJuice
09-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I can say that Brad has done a good job setting up qualifiers (alberta). I played in one last year and won a spot in the 8 ball event. I would have to say that the problem with western players at the canadians and no support for the qualifiers is entirely fault of the players.

I think most if not all of the great players in Alberta are too focused on how much money it is going to cost for a chance to become a national champion and play in the worlds. With the exception of Tyler and Edwin , because they understand that this tournament is a gateway to the world championships.Other than Tyler and Edwin i haven't seen anybody put in a good effort to get supported (sponsored) to travel to the canadians.

Most of the players in Alberta prefer travelling to las vegas every year for pool because its more of a vacation and good time rather than being serious about their pool game.

As for Mr.Grierson I can say that he has done good job with the qualifiers each year.

SpinDoctor
09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
As an Edmontonian player, I am tired of seeing the canadians in the east/maritimes EVERY year. I'm sure you would see a much better representation of western players if we had the event on our side of the country from time-to-time.

The other issue I have with the canadians is from an economical perspective. Sure we can win a spot through our local qualifiers but what does that really get us? A $500 entry fee, which is a small portion of the actual cost to get to an eastern/maritime event. As a player who foots the bill himself, I find it hard to justify spending that much to go to an event where I have to finish top 4 or better to maybe break even.

Would I like to play in the canadians? Sure, but if I'm going to spend that much to go to a pool event with little-to-no prize money I'd sooner go to the derby or the sands.

Just my $0.02

D_Lewis
09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
As an Edmontonian player, I am tired of seeing the canadians in the east/maritimes EVERY year. I'm sure you would see a much better representation of western players if we had the event on our side of the country from time-to-time.

Last year the Canadians were supposed to be in Alberta I believe but something happened and Shooters in North York said they could cover everything. So saying its never out there is a moot point.

SpinDoctor
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM
You're correct, the venue fell through which was unfortunate but when was the last time it was actually held in the west? I've been playing competitively since the early 90's and honestly can't recall a canadians being held anywhere west of Ontario.

DaveK
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I personally find it strange that these events are held in the middle of summer. Around here very few players are in the halls this time of year, let alone attending tournaments. Last year a fellow who won an entry locally played only because he took his family out east for their summer vacation.

Dave

gromulan
09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
You're correct, the venue fell through which was unfortunate but when was the last time it was actually held in the west? I've been playing competitively since the early 90's and honestly can't recall a canadians being held anywhere west of Ontario.

They were held in Saskatoon in 1992 and 1993 (I think), and in Vancouver in 1995 or 1996. For Vancouver I think the host venue was a hotel in the Surrey area and I remember a funny part was that they had everything set up and realized at the last minute that they had forgot to light the tables, so there was a big scramble to get light fixtures set up. They did a lot of good things, though, including having detailed programs printed up, complete with player bios and lots of pictures, and lots of good seating for spectators. The crowds were excellent too.

Sadly, I heard the organizers lost a ton of money, but I think that was partly due to the expense of flying Willie Thorne, Dennis Taylor, and Cliff Thorburn out for an exhibition match. Unfortunately in an effort to defray those costs they made all the players pay to get in to the exhibition, so a lot of them boycotted it, and that left a sour taste. The exhibition played to a packed house, though, and I thought it was a great idea.

The Saskatoon events were very well run, in my opinion, and even featured a young Marco Fu as one of the competitors. They were held in a mall and the organizers had set up what I thought were excellent playing areas with big scoreboards and some nice bleacher seating (with real chairs), plus you could also watch from the second floor gallery area, which was very cool. I don't think anyone had any negative impressions about that event at all. Maybe it should go back.

gromulan
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Since we're talking about this, I also went to the first event held in St. John, NB in 1997, which was a gong show. It was also held at a mall (I think it was called Brunswick Sqaure), which is a good idea - except for the fact that at this mall there was a huge atrium above the tables, so any matches in the daytime featured sunlight streaming in on the tables and making it just about impossible to play. Naturally there was no way for anyone to do anything about this but it pretty much ruined the event - especially the snooker event, which was held on the sunniest days. That was especially sad in that a big tarp would have solved the whole problem.

I remember complaining to Bob Hargrove about it and he said that they had known all along that the atrium was going to be a problem but, in his words, "It's the same for both players, and we felt that the exposure of having it in Brunswick Square would be better for the game..." - because what's better for the game then having as many people as possible watch good players missing? I played a match against Ed Galati in which his high run was 23 and mine was 11. Nice match. It came down to a critical shot and Ed was naturally shooting right into the sunlight and - and I swear to God I'm not making this up - the referee held up a piece of cardboard to shade the sunlight for him. But it's the same for both players, right?

By the way for being so concerned about 'exposure', the organizers had set up seating for...22 people. "We would have done more, but there wasn't room," one of them said to me. Huh?

The other thing I remember about that event that it was just about impossible to practice on any of the tables. I played in both the pool and the snooker events, so after the pool was over I wanted to get up early and practice alone for a few hours to get the feel of snooker again, but when I went down to the playing area (the hotel was connected to the mall so we could get down there even though the mall was closed) I was told by security that no one was allowed on the tables until an hour before the matches, and of course when that time came along you naturally had 40+ players all vying to get some practice time on five or six tables, which meant you were lucky if you got to practice for ten minutes. I think Bob told me that they were worried about the balls, because they only had a certain number of sets and they didn't want to lose any, and that's why they only had limited practice, because of course you can't trust 40 of the best players in the country to look after the balls. What do you think this is, the National Championships?

For more silliness, Rick Marshall and I did the TV commentary for the last two matches, and I remember the referee (I think that was Bob Hargrove too) told all the players that he was not going to allow them to ask for re-racks if the balls weren't tight - because he thought that was 'cheap' and the break is not a very important shot in nine ball, right? So as the commentators we had a monitor and during one game the camera focused in on the balls as the Bob was racking them and we were talking on the air about how important it was for the one ball to be frozen to the balls behind it, and then Bob slides the rack off and you can clearly see this gap between the one the ball behind it. Man, both of us just about cracked up.

Anyways, that nine ball event was won by Bill Ganne, who died last spring, so think about him as you read this and that way he lives forever. For my part, I haven't been to the nationals again. Do you blame me?

SpinDoctor
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
They were held in Saskatoon in 1992 and 1993 (I think), and in Vancouver in 1995 or 1996.

This is exactly my point. For an event that is claimed to be a "National Championship" to have not been held west of ontario in going on 15 years makes you wonder if it's really a national championship or an eastern championship.

I understand that the event was intended to be held here and the venue fell through but are we honestly supposed to believe that not a single venue in B.C, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba could have been used as an alternate instead of more eastern bias?

bgrierson
09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Jerry,

Coming from a great player like you I appreciate that.
I will do whatever it takes to get tons of players out of Alberta to the Canadians...I am open to any suggestions and am still working on gaining additional funding to make trips out east less costly for our players.
I only do this to promote and grow cue sports in Alberta and Canada.
Especially Snooker....start playing Alberta!!!!!

seether
09-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Last year the Canadians were supposed to be in Alberta I believe but something happened and Shooters in North York said they could cover everything. So saying its never out there is a moot point.

I like to see the Canadians be held in Edmonton,Alberta and we'll show Ontarions how we westerns play pool.

JD_Hogg
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I like to see the Canadians be held in Edmonton,Alberta and we'll show Ontarions how we westerns play pool.

That would be great. All us Ontarians sure could use a refresher course on what not to do on the table.......haha

*jk*

Philthepockets
09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Just have a look at the programs and facilities that are available in a country like Malaysia. http://www.geocities.com/raylim9/msbf.html
This is just one of example of how much better organized and funded the game is even in countries with a lot less resources than Canada.

Bottom line is we need...

MONEY, players need to be able to regionally qualify and have all there expenses covered to attend the national event and make it worth their while winning.

GRASS ROOTS, training, academies, junior programs, sponsorships.

PROMOTION, the image and profile must be raised to a level of respect to facilitate the above.

PEOPLE, who know how to secure funding and raise money. there is no reason why we cannot get government money, every other crackpot arty farty dance and drama troop manages to get money, why not snooker.

INDUSTRY, work with rooms and the billiards industry to advance and promote the game.

Danktrees
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
This is exactly my point. For an event that is claimed to be a "National Championship" to have not been held west of ontario in going on 15 years makes you wonder if it's really a national championship or an eastern championship.

I understand that the event was intended to be held here and the venue fell through but are we honestly supposed to believe that not a single venue in B.C, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba could have been used as an alternate instead of more eastern bias?

what's also ridiculous is that various ontario players couldnt play in the amateur tournament because they had too high of a handicap or because they won a 404 tournament. that's just dumb since the 404 is handicapped and in theory, should give even the crappiest player a chance to win so i dont see why winning a 404 would get you barred from the amateurs. but as a result of this, some of the ontario players couldnt play yet they let everyone except the top players from quebec play which is just stupid. when they were announcing the finals it went something like "and now for the finals of the 2009 canadian men's amateur championship, we have a semi-pro from quebec..." like honestly what the hell is that. i was just laughing when that announcement was made, it didnt even make any sense.

bgrierson
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM

We do not have a venue now in this province that could host the Canadians....The Q Club in Edmonton would have been the only place in Alberta that could have hosted it.

SpinDoctor
09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't even want to get going on the ridiculous idea of having an amateur event at the canadians where some guy who has no clue gets to decide on what is and what is not an amateur.(like that doesn't open the door for some favoritism) Just feel fortunate that a bunch of guys from the west didn't show up and stick the guy with the job of trying to figure out what event a bunch of strangers(that he's never seen holding a cue before) should be allowed to play in.

It would have been almost as laughable as when the stan james tour came out here and someone from the east set up the odds payouts for the stan james website. Nothing finer than someone who doesn't know 50%+ of the field figuring out who the real players are. I'm sure stan james learned their lesson when one of the 67-1 shot delivered some dough home to the locals. :wink:

bgrierson
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't even want to get going on the ridiculous idea of having an amateur event at the canadians where some guy who has no clue gets to decide on what is and what is not an amateur.(like that doesn't open the door for some favoritism) Just feel fortunate that a bunch of guys from the west didn't show up and stick the guy with the job of trying to figure out what event a bunch of strangers(that he's never seen holding a cue before) should be allowed to play in.

It would have been almost as laughable as when the stan james tour came out here and someone from the east set up the odds payouts for the stan james website. Nothing finer than someone who doesn't know 50%+ of the field figuring out who the real players are. I'm sure stan james learned their lesson when one of the 67-1 shot delivered some dough home to the locals. :wink:

Not a big fan of the "Amatuer" 9-Ball event period.
What I saw this year with quite a few players with lots of game that should have been playing in the Open division....again, with all due respect to the CBSA, not a fan of the whole concept....don't get it myself!

gromulan
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
We do not have a venue now in this province that could host the Canadians....The Q Club in Edmonton would have been the only place in Alberta that could have hosted it.

It's moot anyways. You'd have to be nuts to try and promote an event like the Canadians in the western provinces in the middle of summer. It would never work.

Actually, it probably wouldn't work anywhere. Why they won't come to their senses and host it in February or something I'll never know.

bgrierson
09-03-2009, 06:59 PM
It's moot anyways. You'd have to be nuts to try and promote an event like the Canadians in the western provinces in the middle of summer. It would never work.

Actually, it probably wouldn't work anywhere. Why they won't come to their senses and host it in February or something I'll never know.

May would be best.

DaveK
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM

Just the other night a friend from the pool hall started talking about the poor timing of Canadians. He qualified this year out of our provincials (in April/May?), but had no desire to play in the summer. This is what usually happens around here, we get reasonable response to playdows, citys, and provincials then everyone goes and plays golf for the summer. Pool is a winter activity around here.

Dave

JD_Hogg
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Just the other night a friend from the pool hall started talking about the poor timing of Canadians. He qualified this year out of our provincials (in April/May?), but had no desire to play in the summer. This is what usually happens around here, we get reasonable response to playdows, citys, and provincials then everyone goes and plays golf for the summer. Pool is a winter activity around here.

Dave

I think Nov or March would be cool dates for the Canadians. And getting to travel out West sure would be cool. Hopefully things will change.

gromulan
09-05-2009, 02:46 AM
May would be best.

Everyone goes to Vegas in May.

Celtic
09-09-2009, 06:23 PM

The other issue I have with the canadians is from an economical perspective. Sure we can win a spot through our local qualifiers but what does that really get us? A $500 entry fee, which is a small portion of the actual cost to get to an eastern/maritime event. As a player who foots the bill himself, I find it hard to justify spending that much to go to an event where I have to finish top 4 or better to maybe break even.

Would I like to play in the canadians? Sure, but if I'm going to spend that much to go to a pool event with little-to-no prize money I'd sooner go to the derby or the sands.

Just my $0.02

This above post basically covers my thoughts on it.

Does the CBSA even know that Western Canada exists? It sometimes seems a little doubtful.

We get ZERO advertisement or promotion (or even bloody word) of events here in Calgary. When were the Alberta qualifiers this year, where were they? Because in playing the Hideout tournament, Mikes, league, chatting with all the players in this city I did not see a single poster or hear a single peep about it.

It is NOT the players, most of the players don't have a clue what the CBSA is doing because the CBSA does not bother to pay attention to the West in the slightest.

The people in the West stick to Vegas, the Sands, the Reno Bar Box Championships, ect... because we actually know the bloody things are going on and we do not feel like outsiders coming to play in the Easts little boys club they have going over there.

Celtic
09-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Just have a look at the programs and facilities that are available in a country like Malaysia. http://www.geocities.com/raylim9/msbf.html
This is just one of example of how much better organized and funded the game is even in countries with a lot less resources than Canada.

Bottom line is we need...

MONEY, players need to be able to regionally qualify and have all there expenses covered to attend the national event and make it worth their while winning.

GRASS ROOTS, training, academies, junior programs, sponsorships.

PROMOTION, the image and profile must be raised to a level of respect to facilitate the above.

PEOPLE, who know how to secure funding and raise money. there is no reason why we cannot get government money, every other crackpot arty farty dance and drama troop manages to get money, why not snooker.

INDUSTRY, work with rooms and the billiards industry to advance and promote the game.

In a perfect world this is what the CBSA would be doing, instead they do pretty much nothing. We need people in there who truly want to put in the effort and time into the sport, creating all of the stuff you speak of. But IMO most of the people in the CBSA see their position more as a little hobby they have and they are not really that keen on putting the true hours of work each day into making the sport grow.

Celtic
09-09-2009, 06:35 PM

The SML each year rents out the bloody Olymipic Oval for their league playoffs and ran a professional tournament in conjunction with it for a few years.

The people running the Canadian Championships cannot figure out how to do similar? Get a decent space, get some tables, get the tournament in the West. If you cannot figure out how it would be possible make way for someone that can.

Celtic
09-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Everyone goes to Vegas in May.

The fact he even said that... cripe, lets get the tourneys to conflict with the VNEA and BCA, smokin idea!

Go figure this sport is going nowhere.

trophycue
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=Celtic;2004609]In a perfect world this is what the CBSA would be doing, instead they do pretty much nothing. We need people in there who truly want to put in the effort and time into the sport, creating all of the stuff you speak of. But IMO most of the people in the CBSA see their position more as a little hobby they have and they are not really that keen on putting the true hours of work each day into making the sport grow.[/QUO Wetern poolplayers,,,,,,,,,,,,,waaaaaaaaaaaa,waaaaaaaaaaa a,waaaaaaaaaaa, You could have had all the qualifiers you wanted, all you have to do is organize it ,wherever you want. As far as not knowing bout the Canadians, looks like your on the puter every day............dates, locations posted for months........not hard to find. If you want to change the higharchy, i don't think it's a problem. The guys in there now , are tired of doin an unpaid thankless job, sick of once a year whiners from out west, and I truly beleive they are not basing any decsion making on, How can I piss them all off? Seems to me no one else has even offered to step to the plate. Just wait till it's to late, and then..........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA,WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!...........How come i didn,t get paid for being a laxy ass whining b+ pool player!

bgrierson
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
The fact he even said that... cripe, lets get the tourneys to conflict with the VNEA and BCA, smokin idea!

Go figure this sport is going nowhere.

The Hideout is a joke.....I fuking hate bar box leagues....thats the reason the CBSA is in a bad state.....bgrierson@msn.com and I will keep you informed!!!!!!!!!!

trophycue
09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Why don't you rent the oval and have the Canadians there???............Oh ya!!............calgary can't even organize a qualifier!.........lmfao!!!!!

Celtic
09-09-2009, 11:15 PM
The Hideout is a joke.....I fuking hate bar box leagues....thats the reason the CBSA is in a bad state.....bgrierson@msn.com and I will keep you informed!!!!!!!!!!

It's not a league, it is a tourney on Saturday, and it is one of two tournaments that a player in Calgary has left at all to play in so one in your position if they had even the smallest amount of will to advertise your events would at least post a poster on the upcomming provincial tournament there.

Don't keep "me" informed, keep the community informed, and guess what, that crappy bar box ridden hideout with the POS cloth, crap balls, next to a bloody strip club is one of the few places the players have left in Calgary thanks to the state this sport is in atm so sadly enough that is where we are left to be contacted about these things.

Maybe one day the sport will see some gains via some people doing as was stated above and creating more interest in the sport via promotion, getting industry involved more, creating more avenues for young people to get interested in the sport, ect... but until then we are stuck in the bloody Hideout so now you know where to find us.

I WISH we still had the Black Wolf, Stix, The Great White, Unwinders in the early days. The sport has unfortunately taken a friggin nose dive in the last 10 years and stuff like in this thread really is not helping matters.

Celtic
09-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Why don't you rent the oval and have the Canadians there???............Oh ya!!............calgary can't even organize a qualifier!.........lmfao!!!!!

Laugh all you want chucklehead, the guy you want to be discussing that particular point with just posted right before you.

Calgary is a city, cities themselves don't organize qualifiers, people do. Barb at SML in calgary seems to have no issues running quality tournaments. Nor does Ted Harms and Players League, a guy who in fact also runs a high quality tournament in TO each year that gets more people out from the West then the CBSA manages due to his actually being able to organize things better then the people who are in charge of the provincial qualifiers and the friggin national championships.

Jim Wych can organize and run a quality professional level event in Alberta on his Stan James tour but the CBSA cannot manage to figure out how to run an event the same province, and this is supposed to be understandable? It is idiotic.

DelayedJuice
09-10-2009, 11:03 AM
A player who is serious about participating in the canadians will have no problem finding info about it. I'm sure a person with a computer and a lot of pool buddies can find info about qualifiers and events.

These people volunteer for these things and they're open to suggestions. Instead of giving them a hard time then help them out.If you don't want to help them, then organize your own tournament with qualifiers. Then after that you can swell with pride in showing the CBSA how to do business.

If money for food, plane tickets, entry fees, hotel rooms is a problem then seek sponsorship and split costs with other players.

Philthepockets
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
It's not just about a few established players participating in the Canadians, it's about promoting and developing the game at all levels and garnering intrest.
The lack of intrest is bourne out in the balance of participants in this event. In fact it probably should have been called the "Ontario Open"

If people are going to volunteer to represent Canada as our governing body then they should be up to the task. Volunteer work is often thankless but you should already know that going in and if you signed up expecting lot's of appreciation and zero crtisizm then you are very misguided.

I can direct you to many other countries much less fortunate than Canada that have extremely well organized and active governing bodies that are moving the game forward at all levels.

This is not a simple rant by a few moaners from out west this is a statement of fact that if there is no progress made soon we will lose the game for good in this country and thats pretty sad considering at one time we had a current world champion two time world finalist and three players in the top eight in the world.
But the game has progressed to the point where we need a program for development to be competative on the world stage.

xxxbilliards
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
It's not just about a few established players participating in the Canadians, it's about promoting and developing the game at all levels and garnering intrest.
The lack of intrest is bourne out in the balance of participants in this event. In fact it probably should have been called the "Ontario Open"

If people are going to volunteer to represent Canada as our governing body then they should be up to the task. Volunteer work is often thankless but you should already know that going in and if you signed up expecting lot's of appreciation and zero crtisizm then you are very misguided.

I can direct you to many other countries much less fortunate than Canada that have extremely well organized and active governing bodies that are moving the game forward at all levels.

This is not a simple rant by a few moaners from out west this is a statement of fact that if there is no progress made soon we will lose the game for good in this country and thats pretty sad considering at one time we had a current world champion two time world finalist and three players in the top eight in the world.
But the game has progressed to the point where we need a program for development to be competative on the world stage.

Very well said, I for one have been involved for years with pool from leagues to tournaments and find there is something that needs to be done to keep pool up and current.
Maybe if someone takes it more serious, more people will help!
Be good all

JD_Hogg
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
With all the pool halls closing down its getting harder and harder to promote the game. If rent wasn't so ridiculous everywhere i'm sure there would be more pool halls available that were profitable.

Promoting pool now is like trying to promote surfing. You can supply the cues but the kids have no where to use em.

bgrierson
09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I could care less what a bunch of "shortstops" think of the qualifying process in Alberta or any other province. I love these guys talking game as big bar box specialists....lmfao...learn how to play.
You all have views that I respect and understand, now, how about donating some of YOUR time to promoting the game?
If your interested contact me...didn't think so!!!
And to be honest, I focus on promoting Snooker....thats my goal.
PS....Ask Buddy Hall what a shortstop is!!!!!!!
Celtic give you head a really good shake......

seether
09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Edmanton just lost the Q-club.which was a nice pool hall.It was down stairs and it was the biggest in Alberta,Until it shut down because of a lack of patrons.I use to enjoy playin pool there.I hope to see no more pool halls shutting down.I like to see new ones open up and bring up sport,so more poeple in the future can experience the sport in the pool hall instead of the idea of poeple haven to buy tables fore there homes.Come on Edmonton,Lets get serious about our billiards and lets pass it down to our young.

supergreenman
09-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Edmanton just lost the Q-club.which was a nice pool hall.It was down stairs and it was the biggest in Alberta,Until it shut down because of a lack of patrons.I use to enjoy playin pool there.I hope to see no more pool halls shutting down.I like to see new ones open up and bring up sport,so more poeple in the future can experience the sport in the pool hall instead of the idea of poeple haven to buy tables fore there homes.Come on Edmonton,Lets get serious about our billiards and lets pass it down to our young.
To set the record straight, the Q-Club didn't shut down because of lack of patrons.

The last owner of the business couldn't get the land lord to correct major issues with plumbing. They had several floods over the last year.

IMO the building owner who also owned all the tables wasn't interested in keeping the club operational or he would have done the renovations needed in order for the club operators to run a successful business.

seether
09-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Oh sorry supergreenman.I might have gotten it wrong.Your right! it was the plumbing.

SpinDoctor
09-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Every manager of the cue club in recent memory has trashed the landlord for his attitude(which is understandable) but they have all fallen flat on their faces running the business. The mistakes of the past have been repeated ad nauseum and they wonder why all of us regulars stopped going there.

You can only be treated like crap by the people who own the place for so long before it's just not a place you're going to go to. I was as regular as they come back in the day and watched it being run into the toilet daily. Suggestions from those of us who actually cared about having a room to play in were completely ignored.

The lack of customers was hardly caused by plumbing....

But what do I know, apparently I'm just a "shortstop"

SpinDoctor
09-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I could care less what a bunch of "shortstops" think of the qualifying process in Alberta or any other province. I love these guys talking game as big bar box specialists....lmfao...learn how to play.
You all have views that I respect and understand, now, how about donating some of YOUR time to promoting the game?

On an unrelated note, were you the guy who seeded himself above real players at an event because you paid your way into the Canadians the previous year?

Philthepockets
09-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Maybe this is the reason we have these people running the show, I am a player not an organizer. I can only do what I am good at and would not volunteer for something I would not be able to do well and make a difference. I do my part by showing up, supporting rooms and helping younger players.

supergreenman
09-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Every manager of the cue club in recent memory has trashed the landlord for his attitude(which is understandable) but they have all fallen flat on their faces running the business. The mistakes of the past have been repeated ad nauseum and they wonder why all of us regulars stopped going there.

You can only be treated like crap by the people who own the place for so long before it's just not a place you're going to go to. I was as regular as they come back in the day and watched it being run into the toilet daily. Suggestions from those of us who actually cared about having a room to play in were completely ignored.

The lack of customers was hardly caused by plumbing....

But what do I know, apparently I'm just a "shortstop"

You are right about the service..

I stopped going there regularly after being told they didn't have enough waitresses to cover the 8ball side when we wanted to practice for a bar box tournament

bgrierson
09-12-2009, 01:28 PM
On an unrelated note, were you the guy who seeded himself above real players at an event because you paid your way into the Canadians the previous year?

Yeah thats me....wanna play?

bgrierson
09-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Real players such as whom?
The only Snooker player in this province I wont gamble with is Tom Finstad....because he is a better player.
Anyone else interested I am right here.
403-255-4559 home
403-613-6327 cell

SpinDoctor
09-12-2009, 01:42 PM
It wasn't a challenge, it was an honest question. I just find it hard to understand why you would seed yourself over players who have credentials and performance histories at the Albertas/Canadians. In pretty much every tourney that I've played in with a seeding system the seeds are determined by the previous years performance or based on ranking points derived through a series of tourneys.

You preach about how you have done so much to benefit the game but abusing the seeding system for your own benefit doesn't seem to fit that line much.

gromulan
09-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah thats me....wanna play?

So let me get this straight. You, who went to the Canadians this year and never won a match, seeded yourself above at least two former provincial champions in a qualifying tournament solely because YOU THINK you're a better player than they are? (I mean, have you even played any of the Edmonton players before?) THEN, you hold the qualifiers at a time when all the other players are away at another event, and if people object you claim they're just whiners (or shortstops) AND THEN you complain that no one gives you any thanks or support. Jeez, I heard similar complaints from the Mafia that they never got enough thanks for all the work they did in labor organizing.

And, out of curiosity, where do you play snooker in Calgary? I'm think you're going to definitely get some action this winter.

seether
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
You are right about the service..

I stopped going there regularly after being told they didn't have enough waitresses to cover the 8ball side when we wanted to practice for a bar box tournament

I have to agree with Supergreenman.The service is a bit lowsy at there when it was runnin( the Q-club)

DaddysVisa
09-13-2009, 12:34 PM
The only Snooker player in this province I wont gamble with is Tom Finstad....because he is a better player.
403-255-4559 home
403-613-6327 cell

So just out of curiosity. How much can I bet on this?

Celtic
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
blah, blah, oh yeah and blah!

Seriously, you are useless and do more harm to this sport then good, gtfo. Or is it your favorite hobby to be a useless tit at organizing pool in Alberta and having all the players know it? Your comebacks are cutting into the playerbase and telling them you don't give a shit about them or the sport, fine, then get the hell out of it and make way for someone who at least shows some concern for the condition the sport is in atm, because that certainly is not you.

Celtic
09-14-2009, 12:00 AM
403-255-4559 home
403-613-6327 cell

There is a certain player from Calgary I would imagine would get thousands worth of backers against you if you are willing to bet that high?

I am pretty sure we can get him to practice for a short while since he never plays anymore and have a few thousand dollars to put up for a long set to take place in the not too distant future if it interests you that much.

SpinDoctor
09-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Tell him to get in line, we could probably charter a bus from Edmonton. :wink:

gromulan
09-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Tell him to get in line, we could probably charter a bus from Edmonton. :wink:

That boy's suddenly gone quieter than a possum at a huntin' dog convention. Wonder why?

bgrierson
10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
That boy's suddenly gone quieter than a possum at a huntin' dog convention. Wonder why?

I am right here.....Again,
Brad Grierson
403-255-4559 home
403-613-6327 cell

Anyone interested please call....I am in Calgary.
Going to HAFA tourney between October 15-25.

bgrierson
10-04-2009, 04:49 PM
There is a certain player from Calgary I would imagine would get thousands worth of backers against you if you are willing to bet that high?

I am pretty sure we can get him to practice for a short while since he never plays anymore and have a few thousand dollars to put up for a long set to take place in the not too distant future if it interests you that much.

If he wants to play I am in (Bernie?) late October-early November
Will play 5-9 or 6-11 for 5.

bgrierson
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Seriously, you are useless and do more harm to this sport then good, gtfo. Or is it your favorite hobby to be a useless tit at organizing pool in Alberta and having all the players know it? Your comebacks are cutting into the playerbase and telling them you don't give a shit about them or the sport, fine, then get the hell out of it and make way for someone who at least shows some concern for the condition the sport is in atm, because that certainly is not you.

I would look forward to meeting you someday.
Have you ever done anything for cue sports in this province?
I know that answer....why dont you donate a little time and effort to organize a provincial assoc....I work 6-7 days a week and have zero time ...please, the ball is in your court?

bgrierson
10-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Brad Grierson 403-255-4559....I am not quiet, just have a life.

bgrierson
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
It wasn't a challenge, it was an honest question. I just find it hard to understand why you would seed yourself over players who have credentials and performance histories at the Albertas/Canadians. In pretty much every tourney that I've played in with a seeding system the seeds are determined by the previous years performance or based on ranking points derived through a series of tourneys.

You preach about how you have done so much to benefit the game but abusing the seeding system for your own benefit doesn't seem to fit that line much.

I seeded Tom and I two years ago in Red Deer because we were the two reps in 2007 from Alberta.
I seeded Tom Finstad, Peter Terpstra and Tom Williams at the first event in Edmonton last year and I sat out...because they played in 2008.
You know something....I dont know why I am even responding to this.
I cant read this anymore....I wish all you guys that have commented on this would have played in qualifying events-I will not visit this forum again as it is too hard on the eyes!!!!!!
If you would like to discuss this further or this is really bothering you please call me, and again...I enjoy Snooker action if interested please call me.

Brad Grierson
403-255-4559 home
403-613-6327 cell

Celtic
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
If he wants to play I am in (Bernie?) late October-early November
Will play 5-9 or 6-11 for 5.

No, it's not Bernie. The guy I am talking about last competed in the Canadians in 2000 I think. Quit snooker, should be easy.

I will ask him if he is interested in a set and give him your number.

I know you have another match coming up on the 27th or so (which I will side bet on if you want more action) and am not sure you will be wanting any more after that one is over but as you were told the line to play you is forming, we were thinking about having a "Brad Grierson Qualifier" tourney just to see which person gets first dibs at sending you into retirement.

Celtic
10-07-2012, 09:50 PM
No, it's not Bernie. The guy I am talking about last competed in the Canadians in 2000 I think. Quit snooker, should be easy.

Just an update, the guy I was talking about came out of retirement for about a week to play the Alberta Snooker Championships and Brad got to play him, Brad did not like it, 4-0.

bgrierson
10-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Mike played well and I enjoyed the match.
Good memory "Celtic", very impressive!

Celtic
10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Mike played well and I enjoyed the match.
Good memory "Celtic", very impressive!

For the record, you shoot pretty decent yourself. I watched you play the Alberta Championships the year before and if I am not mistaken you got to the finals.

It is good to see Calgary has a slightly growing snooker scene again, I would say these events taking place here now every so often do have a part to play in that, so on that I commend you.