PDA

View Full Version : I guess rules aren't for everybody!Canadian Championships or Chumpionships

taxi man
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I was not allowed to play in the Canadians because I wasn't wearing dress shoes,and was told their very picky on the dress code.I was totally in the wrong by having the wrong shoes but the problem I have is other players were allowed to break the rules by wearing runners,hiking boots and even cowboy boots,a couple with no collers on their shirts,when I pointed this out to Steve he told me he could not overturn the refs decision,but a player told me at the players meeting the night before Steve said he was the only one that could overturn the ref.But not everybody was born with balls and he made it obvious he has none.Not to sound bitter but either everybody goes by the rules or have no rules at all.One of the women was also not allowed to play and several guys going out and buying new shirts and shoes only to see what I seen that other guys didn't have to and they were just as mad as I was.Steve wasn't even going to give me my moneyback,saying there was no refunds.So after a few threats that I would stop the venue,I was given my money back.But hold on to your seats I've saved the best for last,now don't forget were still talking about the canadian championships.Two players who drew each other in the first round were completly out of dress code and I mean jeans t-shirt,and runners but were given the choice to flip a coin to see who would advance.This sounds very professional to me,but back to the story.After the whole coin flip thing didn't work out,these players were allowed to play their 9ball match on a barbox table which was suppose to be hush hush so the other players playing on the 9 footers wouldn't see them playing completly out of dress code.I even asked the ref what the hell was going on with that but he denied it,but any fool could look at the draw sheet and see that these guys played.Other people seen this not just me and said they would never support it again,and it was totally unfair that everybody else had to play on 9 footers and rules were broken,and players decieved to let these guys play on a barbox.Thank god these guys don't run the world championships,they would probably decide the champion by drawing straws!

sly
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
That sounds just about right for the way things are organised at the Canadians. isnt it odd that an organisation that only has 1 tournament to organise peryear cant even manage to get half the field to fill when a world championship spot is offered to the winner. its either the lack of organisational skill or the lack of any purse money. somebody needs to take the bull by the horns and make it more respectable.

taxi man
08-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I stuck around awhile at the canadians just to mingle and what I think was lacking was air conditioning.I had a few players tell me down in the pit playing their match,that it was so hot and sticky,when stroking the cue it felt like their hand was going to catch fire!:wink:

xxxbilliards
08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
And you had the nerve to complain about me putting the biggest jack pot in amateur venues? $ 23, 800 each time...........jajajaja
It serves you right

I was not allowed to play in the Canadians because I wasn't wearing dress shoes,and was told their very picky on the dress code.I was totally in the wrong by having the wrong shoes but the problem I have is other players were allowed to break the rules by wearing runners,hiking boots and even cowboy boots,a couple with no collers on their shirts,when I pointed this out to Steve he told me he could not overturn the refs decision,but a player told me at the players meeting the night before Steve said he was the only one that could overturn the ref.But not everybody was born with balls and he made it obvious he has none.Not to sound bitter but either everybody goes by the rules or have no rules at all.One of the women was also not allowed to play and several guys going out and buying new shirts and shoes only to see what I seen that other guys didn't have to and they were just as mad as I was.Steve wasn't even going to give me my moneyback,saying there was no refunds.So after a few threats that I would stop the venue,I was given my money back.But hold on to your seats I've saved the best for last,now don't forget were still talking about the canadian championships.Two players who drew each other in the first round were completly out of dress code and I mean jeans t-shirt,and runners but were given the choice to flip a coin to see who would advance.This sounds very professional to me,but back to the story.After the whole coin flip thing didn't work out,these players were allowed to play their 9ball match on a barbox table which was suppose to be hush hush so the other players playing on the 9 footers wouldn't see them playing completly out of dress code.I even asked the ref what the hell was going on with that but he denied it,but any fool could look at the draw sheet and see that these guys played.Other people seen this not just me and said they would never support it again,and it was totally unfair that everybody else had to play on 9 footers and rules were broken,and players decieved to let these guys play on a barbox.Thank god these guys don't run the world championships,they would probably decide the champion by drawing straws!

xxxbilliards
08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear the current state of affairs but it was coming, maybe new blood will help

That sounds just about right for the way things are organised at the Canadians. isnt it odd that an organisation that only has 1 tournament to organise peryear cant even manage to get half the field to fill when a world championship spot is offered to the winner. its either the lack of organisational skill or the lack of any purse money. somebody needs to take the bull by the horns and make it more respectable.

samurai
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Odie Wilet and Bob Morton are NOT new blood! As for waiting to see what happens next? Pardon me if I don't do back flips. It is an old boys club that can't be infiltrated.

D_Lewis
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
And you had the nerve to complain about me putting the biggest jack pot in amateur venues? $ 23, 800 each time...........jajajaja
It serves you right

He might have complained that you're a theif. You arent coming back, why not continue going away?

Odie Wilet and Bob Morton are NOT new blood! As for waiting to see what happens next? Pardon me if I don't do back flips. It is an old boys club that can't be infiltrated.

Odie is BY FAR the worst person in the world to deal with the public. Very unprofessional and rude to paying 'customers' of the CBSA. I witnessed him actually yell at the majority of the players in a qualifying tournament at Millsys in Kitchener one day. Why you ask? Because they asked him a few questions. (simple questions)

jaycast16
08-19-2009, 01:38 AM
i understand that some people or players were unhappy about the ruling of this event.But i won't give it away to those people who did a lot of effort to organize this event.I played in the amateur division but we were treated very professionally.I know what other feels when they travelled all the way to Shooters and referrees won't allow them to play because they were wearing t-shirt instead of collared shirt.As a player it is your responsibility to make sure you comply with the dress code.i know some players were able to continue even obviously didn't follow the dress code,which is not fair,but doesn't mean everyone can break the rules.

Im not sure if all you visits the venue during the tournament but i saw how well they did the scheduling of the matches.They make sure only players who are playing in the tournament can practice on the vacant table.It make you play better and get more concentration on your game.You are not worried about spectators who are banging balls besides you.

Next year,i hope they will do it again here at Shooters.I am sure i will participate again.

taxi man
08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
You said some people were allowed to break the rules and still play,like I said before,the rules are for everybody or don't have them at all.To allow 2 guys to flip a coin and play on a barbox doesn't sound to organized to me in a so called major venue.

taxi man
08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
It serves you right

Your right you added 23, 800 and stole 30,000. You do the math!

samurai
08-19-2009, 06:49 AM

For you fashion illiterates out there, cowboy boots are considered dress wear, and start at over $300. BTW They are made of leather and are close toed and NOT considered work boots! They are also accepted by the WPA and the WPBA as I wore them in the World 10-ball championships! If you have anything to say please find me and say it to my face rather than ranting on a forum.

taxi man
08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
For you fashion illiterates out there, cowboy boots are considered dress wear, and start at over $300. BTW They are made of leather and are close toed and NOT considered work boots! They are also accepted by the WPA and the WPBA as I wore them in the World 10-ball championships! If you have anything to say please find me and say it to my face rather than ranting on a forum.

samurai, sorry if i offended you. btw are leather closed toe running shoes that also cost over $300.00 considered dress shoes. Also, i would say it to anyone's face including yours, however the post wasn't about you but about the ref and how only rules applied to some but not to others. i was hoping my post would come across loud and clear that i took no offense to the people out of dress code but with the ref and the officials at the tournament.

taxi man
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM

And by the way where in the hell in my post did I mention work boots.Talk about illiterate!

samurai
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey Taximan,
"btw are leather closed toe running shoes that also cost over $300.00 considered dress shoes." Look at what you have written, the rules clearly state NO RUNNING shoes! Running shoes are just that, no matter what material they are made of. So yes you are illiterate.

taxi man
08-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Taximan,
"btw are leather closed toe running shoes that also cost over $300.00 considered dress shoes." Look at what you have written, the rules clearly state NO RUNNING shoes! Running shoes are just that, no matter what material they are made of. So yes you are illiterate.

I could care less if people had on sandles or flip flops ,the point I was making was alot of the rules they were so strong to inforce was broken on so many levels.Does it sound right to give 2 people the option to flip a coin to decide a match because they were in jeans and T-shirt?Hoping one day when rules are made that there made for everybody. and exactly as you stated the rules clearly state NO RUNNING shoes! but a half dozen people were allowed to wear them. THAT IS MY POINT!!

leaguedude
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
I didn't go this year because it was waaaaaayyyyyy to hot last year. Absolutely impossible to play anywhere near top speed. Bring a couple beach towels with you next time to wipe the sweat every 17 seconds and tough it out....

D_Lewis
08-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Did anyone else get a nice message from willy hermoza?

and I quote:

"asshole - Yesterday, 01:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got your number A hole, lets see what happens when we meet......maybe then you will cry foul!!!
U are nothing but a piece of dung, thief?? I will show you mother ****er "

supergreenman
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
And you wonder why players from the west don't bother to make thier way to the Canadians.

sly
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
its a dam shame
there's players who want to play but have seen enough from cabsa that they just don't participate

taxi man
08-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Did anyone else get a nice message from willy hermoza?

and I quote:

"asshole - Yesterday, 01:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got your number A hole, lets see what happens when we meet......maybe then you will cry foul!!!
U are nothing but a piece of dung, thief?? I will show you mother ****er "

Its to bad Willy did the things he did,because I really liked the guy,and even put the money thing aside, I wish he didn't do what he did because he had a good thing going.He definetly shouldn't be calling you an asshole because your not,and you have every right to speak your mind,thats what this sites all about

D_Lewis
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Its to bad Willy did the things he did,because I really liked the guy,and even put the money thing aside, I wish he didn't do what he did because he had a good thing going.He definetly shouldn't be calling you an asshole because your not,and you have every right to speak your mind,thats what this sites all about

Im sure he had good intentions even though he's a dirty lying theif!

Thanks for the kind comments Scott, Id like to think I carry myself well enough to NOT be an asshole.

Jason Robichaud
08-24-2009, 05:54 AM
I think any idiot showing up for a match without the proper dress should be shown the door. This is one of my biggest issues with pool. NO CLASS. Snooker you have very nice clothing, pool players, sneakers, jean, hats, t-shirt. What I can't wear this, but I didn't look at posters, I didn't know we are playing a CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. The very least you can do is read the posters or CBSA on dress code. I still don't understand why every year they have the same issue here. COMPLY WITH THE RULES. You can't control what is done to others, just worry about your own ass by covering according to dress code. Easy stuff. I wouldn't have given 10cents back... stopped the event and told everyone then and there the dress code with no exceptions.

I think the problem is with the province qualifying players. What are they telling the players prior to the event? Do they do anything to prepare people? Have a dress code at the qualifiers and stop the idiots here. When they show with jeans and hats, kick them out. Why let them through this stage only the listen to them cry at the national championship. If you think the people running it have no class.... sneakers? Is that all you think of our National Championship, sneakers. Look at the winners and let me know how they dressed. Show pool some respect by dressing properly and maybe you will get some in return...

taxi man
08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I think any idiot showing up for a match without the proper dress should be shown the door. This is one of my biggest issues with pool. NO CLASS. Snooker you have very nice clothing, pool players, sneakers, jean, hats, t-shirt. What I can't wear this, but I didn't look at posters, I didn't know we are playing a CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. The very least you can do is read the posters or CBSA on dress code. I still don't understand why every year they have the same issue here. COMPLY WITH THE RULES. You can't control what is done to others, just worry about your own ass by covering according to dress code. Easy stuff. I wouldn't have given 10cents back... stopped the event and told everyone then and there the dress code with no exceptions.

I think the problem is with the province qualifying players. What are they telling the players prior to the event? Do they do anything to prepare people? Have a dress code at the qualifiers and stop the idiots here. When they show with jeans and hats, kick them out. Why let them through this stage only the listen to them cry at the national championship. If you think the people running it have no class.... sneakers? Is that all you think of our National Championship, sneakers. Look at the winners and let me know how they dressed. Show pool some respect by dressing properly and maybe you will get some in return...
If you read my entire thread your only commenting on a part of it,how about the rest of it.When there are rules it should be for everybody,no coin flips or sticking players on a barbox like they did.I know I was in the wrong like I stated before,but it's the commitees fault for not going by there own rules.If I said there were 7 to 8 players out of dress code,I might be off a couple it might be more,but they only harped at about 4 of us while the others got to do as they please,I guess its just who ya know!
And to take your money when they see you out of dress code then tell you your not playing,then say no refunds,didn't sit well with me,they had no choice but to give it back,that would be like getting robbed,and trust me thats just not gonna happen.

Jason Robichaud
08-25-2009, 01:39 AM
If you read my entire thread your only commenting on a part of it,how about the rest of it.When there are rules it should be for everybody,no coin flips or sticking players on a barbox like they did.I know I was in the wrong like I stated before,but it's the commitees fault for not going by there own rules.If I said there were 7 to 8 players out of dress code,I might be off a couple it might be more,but they only harped at about 4 of us while the others got to do as they please,I guess its just who ya know!
And to take your money when they see you out of dress code then tell you your not playing,then say no refunds,didn't sit well with me,they had no choice but to give it back,that would be like getting robbed,and trust me thats just not gonna happen.

I have seen it all before and as stated, everyone should have been kicked out. Every year it is the same thing and I don't understand why.

With the banning some and not others, maybe he starts off by kicking people out and by the end of the day its just F it too many people not dressed. I wasn't there and don't know how it went down, I do know that I am a fan of dress codes.

It's a shitty deal for some, but we can't control that, just show for your match ready to go and let other people deal with it. For me, league, weekly small events, going out the practice... I always have my own dress code. Nice pants, golf shirt and dress shoes.

SpinDoctor
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
When has the canadians been anything other than a joke?

The CBSA is wonderful if you're from Ontario or Quebec but unless they are serving their own interests not a single thing gets done. They are exactly what is wrong with pool.

And what the hell were you thinking coming to a national championship without dress shoes???

I hear players complain about a lack of sponsorship within the sport and then show up to major competitions wearing t-shirts, dirty jeans and running shoes. What company in their right mind would want to have their product represented by a bunch of scrubs like the average pool degenerate.

taxi man
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
When has the canadians been anything other than a joke?

The CBSA is wonderful if you're from Ontario or Quebec but unless they are serving their own interests not a single thing gets done. They are exactly what is wrong with pool.

And what the hell were you thinking coming to a national championship without dress shoes???

I hear players complain about a lack of sponsorship within the sport and then show up to major competitions wearing t-shirts, dirty jeans and running shoes. What company in their right mind would want to have their product represented by a bunch of scrubs like the average pool degenerate.

Your right not having dress shoes was stupid on my part,and since I had on dress pants and a collered shirt I could of went out and bought them,but when you see others not wearing them and being comfortable in runners ,I thought screw it,I want to be comfortable too.Now I know alot of people say they don't make a dime and its all volunteer work,but to me I would rather pay somebody to run it right,than to have it free and to be run wrong

gromulan
08-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I have seen it all before and as stated, everyone should have been kicked out. Every year it is the same thing and I don't understand why.

With the banning some and not others, maybe he starts off by kicking people out and by the end of the day its just F it too many people not dressed. I wasn't there and don't know how it went down, I do know that I am a fan of dress codes.

It's a shitty deal for some, but we can't control that, just show for your match ready to go and let other people deal with it. For me, league, weekly small events, going out the practice... I always have my own dress code. Nice pants, golf shirt and dress shoes.

What they need to do is have the players vote on what the dress code should be, instead of having some guy who probably can't play worth a lick deciding what looks nice. Walk fourteen or fifteen miles yourself sometime and then tell me what is 'acceptable footwear'. I promise you won't pick dress shoes.

If you think about it, pool and snooker are the only sports where they force players to wear equipment (and clothing is equipment - make no mistake) that is DETRIMENTAL to their performance. Consider:

- in golf they wear golf shoes
- in tennis they wear tennis shoes
- in bowling they wear bowling shoes

All of those are very comfortable and designed for their sport. In pool/snooker meanwhile they want us to wear shoes designed FOR THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are doing. Dress shoes are not designed for walking long distances or standing for long periods - THAT'S WHY PEOPLE DON'T WEAR THEM FOR THAT!! I mean, there are thousands of things that are ridiculous about organized cuesports, but that's near the top of the list, if you ask me. God, they've go the snooker players in waistcoats and bow ties - what year is this?

gromulan
08-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Sorry this argument doesn't fly. If you watch televised poker and you see guys wearing basketball shirts, hoodies, hats on backwards, the whole nine yards and they're covered in sponsorship logos. In pool meanwhile we've been dressing conservatively for years and the sponsors are nowhere to be found. Maybe it's time to try something different. What we're doing sure isn't working.

For my part, here's why I think you should be able to wear whatever you want when you play in a tournament: BECAUSE NO ONE IS WATCHING! Get some crowds out there or maybe some television and I'll start to feel different but for now, you've got to be kidding. I got a hassle about dress code at a tournament a few months ago and almost got kicked out. Do you want to know how many spectators there were? Nine. I mean seriously, nine freakin' people! (We were supposed to have ten but apparently attendance was down 10% because 'Bob' had a birthday party) Who the hell are we supposed to be dressing for?

And don't even get me started on the whole 'respect' issue. You have to earn respect, my friends.

taxi man
08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
What they need to do is have the players vote on what the dress code should be, instead of having some guy who probably can't play worth a lick deciding what looks nice. Walk fourteen or fifteen miles yourself sometime and then tell me what is 'acceptable footwear'. I promise you won't pick dress shoes.

If you think about it, pool and snooker are the only sports where they force players to wear equipment (and clothing is equipment - make no mistake) that is DETRIMENTAL to their performance. Consider:

All of those are very comfortable and designed for their sport. In pool/snooker meanwhile they want us to wear shoes designed FOR THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are doing. Dress shoes are not designed for walking long distances or standing for long periods - THAT'S WHY PEOPLE DON'T WEAR THEM FOR THAT!! I mean, there are thousands of things that are ridiculous about organized cuesports, but that's near the top of the list, if you ask me. God, they've go the snooker players in waistcoats and bow ties - what year is this?
Well said ,I 1000% agree with both your comments,finally someone that see's the reality of pool and where it actually is!:thumbup:

D_Lewis
08-31-2009, 08:08 AM

A little off topic here. If you buy a good pair of dress shoes, you should be able to wear them all day with no problems.

Back to dress code issue!

JD_Hogg
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree it's time to remove the strict dress code.

Mase
08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree it's time to remove the strict dress code.

Lets let the players wear sleeveless tee shirts, torn blue jeans and dirty running shoes with holes in them. Bring a sponsor into a tournament run like that and see how fast they run the other way. Pool players are consistantly shooting themselves in the foot and then complaining that no one will give their tournaments money. Every sport that I can think of has a dress code.

gromulan
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Lets let the players wear sleeveless tee shirts, torn blue jeans and dirty running shoes with holes in them. Bring a sponsor into a tournament run like that and see how fast they run the other way. Pool players are consistantly shooting themselves in the foot and then complaining that no one will give their tournaments money. Every sport that I can think of has a dress code.

Yeah, like sponsors care about how the players dress. I have news for you, sponsors care about how many people watch and that's all. You could have people playing in their underwear and if you had a decent Q rating you'd get all the sponsors you could handle.

Meanwhile, at the nationals this year there's about 25 spectators, no TV, no air conditioning even, and they have a chalkboard sign up to tell people that a national championships is under way, but god forbid someone plays without a tie! Give me a ****ing break.

What they should do is let the players wear athletic wear, like track pants and tee-shirts, then sponsors could put their logos on the tee shirts and maybe -- and I know this is crazy -- players could make a few bucks.

taxi man
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM

What sponsors are you talking about?Even if every player had on a tuxedo,most of the spectators at the canadians were just the players in the tournament.There just isn't any fan base and not advertising doesn't help.People in my opinion ,would rather see guys play great pool,dress code or no dress code.The way your describing the average player without a dress code looks like a group of homeless guys roasting marshmellows over a firepit.I been in many tournaments without dress codes and haven't seen many guys look the way your describing them.Look at a guy like Strickland he wears ski goggles and gloves on both hands and they love putting him on the tv table because it is somewhat entertaining.Maybe the USA is the land of the free,well maybe just in billiards!

gromulan
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
If you ask me, this look would be fine for a pool tournament. Who knows, Adidas might even through in some money...

http://www.thebudostore.com/images/apparel/big/adidas_tracksuit.gif

And we'd definitely dig the women...

http://www.allaboutyou.com/?module=images&func=display&fileId=62214

taxi man
09-01-2009, 04:47 AM
If you ask me, this look would be fine for a pool tournament. Who knows, Adidas might even through in some money...

http://www.thebudostore.com/images/apparel/big/adidas_tracksuit.gif

And we'd definitely dig the women...

http://www.allaboutyou.com/?module=images&func=display&fileId=62214
I like it,but if its a scotch doubles tournament she has to be my partner!

BubblegumKid
09-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I think it should be noted that while few players didn't wear proper dress code, they were nice, clean and very presentable.

Taxi Man was wearing dirty orange crocs with an old, loose collared umbro soccer shirt.

You have to draw the line somewhere. New, clean running shoes are alot different than old crocs.

It's the Nationals - not a weekly bar tournament. Common sense and respect is required from all players.

http://www.clogs-online.com/Images/croc/croc_cayman_big_orange.jpg

taxi man
09-14-2009, 03:48 AM
I think it should be noted that while few players didn't wear proper dress code, they were nice, clean and very presentable.

Taxi Man was wearing dirty orange crocs with an old, loose collared umbro soccer shirt.

You have to draw the line somewhere. New, clean running shoes are alot different than old crocs.

It's the Nationals - not a weekly bar tournament. Common sense and respect is required from all players.

That old umbro soccer shirt,what the hell are you talking about?First of all it was brand new when they told me I needed a collered shirt I went out and bought a brand new black collered shirt,and brand new black dress pants.Like i said a 100 times already i kept the crocs only because others were allowed to wear comfortable footing that were not dress shoes.And i don't care how new and clean the runners are there still ****ing runners that shouldn't be allowed.Paul Tyler who i know had on runners that looked like they were from the first world war and even Odie said he should be gone along with about 6or 7 others.By the way my shirt was Puma!Please comment on the guys in jeans t-shirt and runners being allowed to play or I guess that doesn't ****ing matter.Rules are for everybody,that is my point!:cool:

BubblegumKid
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Rules are for everybody,that is my point!:cool:

I agree, and I agree with you that they shouldn't have done what they did with the other players, but I also understand why they would make exceptions. Everyone just wants a smooth running tournament with no speed bumps, so instead of wasting time on dress code issues they made some exceptions.

The fact still remains you drove however many hours to an event being fully aware you werent in proper dress code, got denied entry, cried and pointed fingers instead of just making the five minute drive to winners and picking up some $20 black shoes.

Dress code shouldn't be an issue at an event like this, it's been the same for years. Frankly the way I see it is that if players are showing up fully aware they are not in proper dress code and don't comply to it then they aren't there to play, theyre there to start problems.

Just my opinion.

seether
09-14-2009, 04:11 PM

I hate crocs anyway.I wouldnt be caught dead wearing crocs.The poolroom I go to is fore pool players,not Sun Worshipers.

seether
09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
At an big ternament like the Canadian's the people should of been playin on the nine footer instead of the barbox,so there fore the refs are to blame.It is sappose to be a international turnament,not a friday night 10 buck pub turnament,and iguess you are right they should follow the rules even if it is a dress code in the turnament.