PDA

View Full Version : Shooters and Canadian Championships, some thoughts

Cameron Smith
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I spent some time at Shooters this weekend and I have to say I was very impressed with the room. The food was decent pub fare, the staff was friendly, the tables seemed good although I only played on one for about 30 min. I loved the fact that there were something like 9 snooker tables, unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to play on any of them.

There was some good pool being played at the 10 ball championships, it was too bad though that I missed Alain's 140 and 145 in snooker finals.

I do have a few complaints. The first being that there is nothing, other then something written on a chalkboard, indicating that there is a national championship in progress. I walked in on Saturday and for a second I was somewhat concerned that I was in the wrong place until I saw the small crowd along the rails.

It would have been nice if there were name cards above the tables indicating who was playing and which score was which. Now of course all you have to do is wait for someone to win a game to know who the beads belong to, but there are some unfamiliar players that I wouldn't have minded knowing who they were.

Was there any advertisement or promotions in Toronto? I know that the papers usually aren't too interested when they are approached about pool tournaments, but you still need to try. Attempt to present them with an interesting storyline they can go with, something they can write about. Brittany Bryant as a rising star of women's pool in Canada is a good start.

I guess my biggest concern is that the fan and the public always seem to be an after thought in these tournaments. There are a lot of little things that can be done to make the experience more fan friendly that doesn't cost much or any money. For example I'm sure someone in the CBSA has or knows someone who owns a video camera, some of these matches should have been taped. The name card idea only requires a printer and some paper.

There are other things that I can think of too, but the post is getting a bit long.