PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Cue, which one?

Axel
10-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Jumping Cue, which one?

I have a conundrum; I have jumping/breaker cue in one, from Smart Cues. I have already changed the tip once on the cue to a leather hard tip. I could never get the hang of jumping balls on the table, it is however, a nice breaking cue.

I decided this year to invest in a good jumping cue, Predator Air Jump Cue, and thought this would be my ticket. So I received some sound advice on how best to jump balls on the table. It now turns out that in the last couple of weeks I can jump better with the 3 piece cue then the Predator? Im figuring that the leather tip on the 3 piece hits better then the Predators Phenolic Carbon Fiber Tip; I purposely bought the cue this way as I thought a harder tip was required to propel the cue ball better.

So, I am asking the experts out there what to do

1. Do I actually go back to my first stick, and sell the Predator?
2. Do I persevere and keep practicing with the Predator until I get the right feel on the new cue?
3. Or, put a leather tip on the Predator (which maybe I should have done that in the first place) and use this cue to accurately jump balls?

I would greatly appreciate some good sound advice from anyone out there that might have some history on jumping cues.

Regards,

Axel

Shawn Armstrong
10-16-2009, 06:49 AM
OK, I can jump a ball pretty good with most cues. I have yet to see any three piece cue even come close to the performance of a dedicated jump cue. My advice would be to find someone that is good with a jump cue, and learn the proper technique from them. If you're using a normal stroke, but elevated, you may get better results from the 3 piece J/B due to the extra weight of the cue. When you learn how to use the Air, or Jester, or the AirTime (3 piece dedicated jump cues), there is a different technique you use with these cues. If you get the proper person to show you this, I guarantee you will be keeping the Predator Air.

jaycast16
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
i think it is not the jump cue that you need to change,maybe its your technique.i never tried the predator jump but i heard how good they are.maybe Shawn was right,you might need to find someone whose good on jumping so he can teach you a better technique.

Axel
10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I could ask a few others at the club. One thing that I was able to determine, jumping with a leather tip does not miss-cue as often in the case of the predator with the harder tip.

JCIN
10-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Sell the Predator Air (like I did) and get a Lomax jump cue. I just never could get comfortable with the Predator Air. I have had a Lomax since Derby and just got a new one. They are the nuts IMO.

That said if you are using bad technique no cue will solve that.

"Popeye"
10-17-2009, 05:59 PM
I think its technique. I jump great... close, mid table, or long, with the pred air. Its has the factory tip. I haven't tried a lomax jumper, but will try one soon since he's usually at the large Atlanta tourneys.
Cheers, Mark

vladmin
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I've tried Pred Air several times, practiced with it...it never worked.

I have a Star Lizard McDermott that I thought it's the nuts. 14mm tip, very nice but now Im using the the Poison VX2.9 Jump/Break as my jump cue and it's so good.

Not a fan of leather tips on a jump cue. I like the phenolic hard tips.

I think it's a lil bit of technique and a lil bit of cue...mostly is practice

2_Fast_4_Fleas
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
sell the predator, keep the jump break cause you can do 2 things with it!

D_Lewis
10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
sell the predator, keep the jump break cause you can do 2 things with it!

Jump/break cues in my eyes (I have one and dont use it) dont do either use particularily well.

Id keep the predator, its an excellent jump cue. Very versatile with the 3 piece option.

Danktrees
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
i have a carmeli j/b and have had absolutely no problems jumping or breaking with it. it has a leather tip and i jump a lot better with it than a phenolic tip. i dont mean that it clears balls easier cuz i think thats about the same. if there is a ball that i can jump with a phenolic, i can jump it with the leather tip too. but i find u can do more with a leather tip. u can follow after a jump, put english, draw etc. u can probably do it with a phenolic tip but its harder. jump shots are hard enough, so if the leather tip works better i just stick with it. never did like the sound or feel of phenolic either. most of it is technique tho, i've seen guys have trouble jumping a ball then blame it on their cue and gave it to me to try and i had no problem with it. i'm not even good at jumping either but at least i know what u're supposed to be doing, i find that a lot of people are not striking the ball correctly, sometimes they follow through too much when the shot might just require a quick jab...like jumping over a close ball.

also, i've never found a jump cue i liked. maybe its cuz i like the thicker handle but i always prefer j/b cues to jump cues. and i never found a difference between a j/b and a dedicated breaker. people keep showing me their bk2 but the shaft feels like crap to me. the inside of the front end of the shaft vibrates like crazy when u break cuz its hollow and i hate how it feels. there are crappy j/b's but i'm talking about a quality custom one thats designed to do the job well. the one's i've had were all great to use.