PDA

View Full Version : Good places to play in Calgary??

mistamikel
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I wanna star playing again and would like to know some good spots to play in Calgary. Im not looking for action just a good place to shoot pool with the wife and friends.

emccune
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I wanna star playing again and would like to know some good spots to play in Calgary. Im not looking for action just a good place to shoot pool with the wife and friends.
Where in the city do you live?

mistamikel
03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
In the nw (Bowness)

Jason Robichaud
03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Well, the replies say it all! I lived there a few years and couldn't believe the lack of good rooms and events.

Close to you is Sticks (if they still have tables cause they changed to a bar with new owners) on 33ave/Richmond Rd up by Canadian Tire on the left side of road. The Hideout off of Glenmore and center st, in the same building as French Maid. They are Crap coin op tables with all the top guys shooting here (free table time with drinks) and 8 ball tournaments on Saturdays. The best place to play for conditions is OC's Billiards on Macleod Trail and Canyon Meadows area. Its in the same building as a movie theater and Lets Play (if you have kids). The other is JR's in the NE. They have little weekly events or use to. I have never played there and can't comment on the conditions. If you go down to the south past OC's they have a weekly 9 ball and 8 ball event with lower level players. Tables suck owner is a D###, place is called Chalks. That is down behind the Totem, Macleod and Shawnessy Blvd area.

hope this helps. if you need a list of guys that can shoot, let me know

mistamikel
03-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, the replies say it all! I lived there a few years and couldn't believe the lack of good rooms and events.

Close to you is Sticks (if they still have tables cause they changed to a bar with new owners) on 33ave/Richmond Rd up by Canadian Tire on the left side of road. The Hideout off of Glenmore and center st, in the same building as French Maid. They are Crap coin op tables with all the top guys shooting here (free table time with drinks) and 8 ball tournaments on Saturdays. The best place to play for conditions is OC's Billiards on Macleod Trail and Canyon Meadows area. Its in the same building as a movie theater and Lets Play (if you have kids). The other is JR's in the NE. They have little weekly events or use to. I have never played there and can't comment on the conditions. If you go down to the south past OC's they have a weekly 9 ball and 8 ball event with lower level players. Tables suck owner is a D###, place is called Chalks. That is down behind the Totem, Macleod and Shawnessy Blvd area.

hope this helps. if you need a list of guys that can shoot, let me know

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to find some place close to home but there doesn't really seem to be anything but Shanks and Im not a big fan of that place. The search continues.

emccune
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Actually he missed Mikes Billiards in the nw on 32 ave and 20 st nw. It's far better than JR's in the north end of the city. JR's is more of a drinking place than a pool hall. JR's is more of a family place. Quiet. They'll let you and your friends play in peace or there is good players who will gamble if you want.

In the south OC's is the best. The guy who runs it is a top player himself but he prefers B player clientel. They spend more. However it is really crowded at night as there is an in house leage most week nights.

As he said the Hideout is the home of many top players, because of the free pool I expect. I wouldn't go there.

There used to be a place in Bowness...not too good but a place. Think it's gone now.

Ed

8power8
03-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Leather Pocket, it is in on 4th st and 40 ave N.W good tables and you can play from 4pm to 1am for $7 per person. IMO this is the best place for you and your family to check out.

Blue Hog ridr
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, French Maid. Now why does that name sound familiar, Jason?

Jason Robichaud
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Because its next to the Hideout? Only been to 1 strip club and that was about 20 years ago.

I'm not sure, but I think everyone of them only liked me for my money. I tried to ask, but the music was too loud and she wouldn't sit still. I offered 20's, 50's and 100's so she could take a break and chat, but she was in the dancing mood, I guess.

mistamikel
03-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I was at the leather pocket the other day and liked it in there.
I remember that there was a place in bowness (the pin and cue I think) but thats long gone now. Now all I need is a cue :)