PDA

View Full Version : What do you Preffer a custom or a schon?

sengkun108
03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi all,

I am a new member here, i'm from Indonesia. here is my question?

In the future i will buy a cue in 800 $ Price range with a 5/16 x 14 joint pin. If you were me, what do you prefer, a nice plain jane custom cue like Jerry R ( or any cuemaker with 5/16 x 14 favourites) or a nice schon.

This is a little information about me. Right now i play with my BCM 3/8 x 10 cue and i have a joss av22 with Mezz HP 2 shaft. I want to keep my Mezz HP 2 shaft so i try to buy another cue with 5/16 x 14 joint.

Sorry if my english is not good, i hope all of you understand what i mean.:smile:

Best:smile:
Dedy (Indonesia)

mullyman
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd go with the custom cue. Schon's have been nice cues since the mid to late 80's.
MULLY
just my opinion

Masayoshi
03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
If you are only going use your old shaft, I would just go for whatever you think looks the best.

Tramp Steamer
03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
A Schon would be hard to beat for your player, but then a custom cue from a reputable cue maker could suit your needs just as well. Schon has a large selection to choose from, but the custom cuemaker can easily incorporate some of your own ideas into the design of the cue. Since this is all a bit confusing, do what I did. Own one of each.

atthecat
03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Get an old R Series Schon. They play really nice. If you don't like it they are easy to sell.

markpatrick
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Get an old R Series Schon. They play really nice. If you don't like it they are easy to sell.

Kind of like a screw machine, do you want a que cranked out at a factory or one hand made by a craftsman?

That is you decision.:sorry:

XxMerlinxX
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
If you are only going use your old shaft, I would just go for whatever you think looks the best.

This. A lot of what makes a cue play the way it does is the shaft. If you're going to be using your old shaft, just get a nice butt that looks good. :grin:

RiverCity
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Kind of like a screw machine, do you want a que cranked out at a factory or one hand made by a craftsman?

That is you decision.:sorry:

If you consider a small shop that has five guys working in it a factory.....on par with the likes of McDermott, Meucci, Viking etc, you are mistaken.
But anyhow.
To the OP, neither is going to make you play better. So try alot of cues, find what you like and stick with it. A Schon is "custom cue" quality wise, but its on off the shelf item. But at the end of the day, it is up to what feels the best to you.
Chuck

sengkun108
03-11-2010, 08:10 AM
To all of you : Thanks for many advice to me. I know exactly that " it's an archer not an arrow" mean. I know, i can not play better without a practice. But what i ask is, if you have a 800$ in your pocket and you willing to spend it on a cue with 5/16 x 14 joint, what do you preffer?

A. Cuemaker with 5/16 x 14 liking, like Jerry R or another cuemaker.
(i know Richard Black preffer make a 5/16 x 14 cue, but i believe 800$can not afford his cue):smile:

B. Schon with 2 shaft.:smile:

Best
Dedy (Indonesia)

alstl
03-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Nobody can answer that question for you. I play with a Schon but that doesn't mean a custom would be just as good or better. I'm used to the Schon so I stay with it.

My free advice would be to try to play with a few cues before you buy one to see which one fits your game the best. Things like Shaft taper, tip, weight and balance point mean more than the name on the cue.