PDA

View Full Version : I can't tell ant difference in LD shafts am I missing something?

Stylez777
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
I own:
Tiger X ultra with a Kamui Black M
OB-1 with a Kamui Black SS
314-2 with a Kamui Black S (not hit this one yet it's being shipped)

I used the first 2 on the same butt (OB-208 butt) and used my friends 314-2 on the same butt. Think he has a Kamui II M on his shaft

They all feel pretty much the same. The OB-1 shaft with the SS tip on it feel like it plays a bit slower then the other 2 i tried it grips a tad better but I get the same amount of spin from all 3 shafts. My shot making is the same with all 3. If i play with a non LD shaft I'm way off my game.

So am I missing something? Is one better then the other? Is one more durable then the other? Am I just not experienced enough to notice? Any reason to keep all 3?

Stylez777
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
wow... No opinions. I know there tons of threads about OB vs Predator etc etc but what the heck do you do when you have all 3 and they all play the same to you?

Guess I'll just sell one and hang on to the other 2

Neil
03-11-2010, 11:38 AM

poolhustler
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I can definately tell the difference, so I can't comment. Neil is correct, find out which one you prefer and sell the others.

kryptonite9
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I am on board with the other two guys. I can feel the difference just by hit. The bigger difference is the deflection. I know for sure that the tigerx has more deflection but I like the feel better. Predator and OB deflect less but I dont like the feel/feedback. Try each shaft with extreme sidespin and you should have to adjust.

Just my opinion,
Keith

TATE
03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I own:
Tiger X ultra with a Kamui Black M
OB-1 with a Kamui Black SS
314-2 with a Kamui Black S (not hit this one yet it's being shipped)

I used the first 2 on the same butt (OB-208 butt) and used my friends 314-2 on the same butt. Think he has a Kamui II M on his shaft

They all feel pretty much the same. The OB-1 shaft with the SS tip on it feel like it plays a bit slower then the other 2 i tried it grips a tad better but I get the same amount of spin from all 3 shafts. My shot making is the same with all 3. If i play with a non LD shaft I'm way off my game.

So am I missing something? Is one better then the other? Is one more durable then the other? Am I just not experienced enough to notice? Any reason to keep all 3?

No, you are not missing much. I just had the opportunity to try Tiger's latest shaft yesterday - the Ultra X.

These shafts have now evolved to duplicate the Predator's LD characteristics. The newest Tiger Ultra is plays a lot more like the OB/Predator and is fairly low squirt - close enough so you might not notice the difference. It's most noticible on shots struck firmly with inside english.

I think there has been some duplication (euphemism) of ideas, tapers, and designs there to get the improved versions we now have.

The old Tiger X is a completely different animal however and Tiger has come a long way to get the shaft right on the Ultra. Perhaps this reputation for the original high squirt Tiger X carried forward and hurts the lower squirt ultra.

The newest OB shaft, the Classic, is a bit better than all 3 in my opinion because it's stiffer and solid. However, I do stress that this is an opinion based on my now testing 3 OB Classic shafts on several different cues now.

Chris

LWW
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
If you use mainly center ball hits you won't see a difference other than the feel of the feedback.

My 314 seems to draw slightly less than a conventional shaft, not sure why.

Now, when you go left or right of center you will find that you can easily put a ton of side spin on the ball without the CB deflecting off it's intended path.

LWW

theyonger
03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I think its mostly feel difference. Squirt differences between all the new LD shafts will be very very competitive so almost no difference. But feel theres always difference eg ob2 has a whippier feel compared to the stiffer Z2
But then again this is always just preference
some people prefer stiff some people prefer whippy

smoooothstroke
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
They will all play about the same since they are all low deflection.

Do some test shots with side spin and extreme spin and draw/follow to see what shaft gives the best action and or feel.You may prefer one taper over another.

Maybe you will want to keep the one that is the most durable if there is no difference to you.

Beware_of_Dawg
03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
run a squirt test on all of them. your hand/arm is probably not consistant enough to guarentee you can hit each shaft EXACTLY the same spin and EXACTLY the same firmness with EXACTLY the same grip to test the exact characteristics with each shaft on your cue... Make somthing to duplicate exactly the same shot with all the shafts... shouldnt be that hard, few pieces of wood, some rope and an imagination should work.

JoeyA
03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
If one of the shafts puts more spin of the cue ball, theoretically it would mean that you could hit closer to the center of the cue ball and still get the same amount of spin as some of the other shafts which would then mean, less cue ball squirt.

Me.... for now I'm a OB Cue Man. I've had Predator, and the OB1 but I like the OB 2 best but am ordering an OB Classic based upon Tate's review. :wink:

JoeyA