PDA

View Full Version : How to get Moori tip harder?

luv1pocket
03-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Is it possible to get a Moori tip harder before installing? Has anyone tried putting it in a vice or hitting it with a hammer?
Does this make it mushroom out a bit more and then after installing it won't mushroom.
For some reason the new H Moori's mushroom out on me after a couple months of play.

poolplayer2093
03-11-2010, 04:56 AM
you been miscueing iwth it more? why not just trim it when it mushrooms?

BHQ
03-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Is it possible to get a Moori tip harder before installing? Has anyone tried putting it in a vice or hitting it with a hammer?
Does this make it mushroom out a bit more and then after installing it won't mushroom.
For some reason the new H Moori's mushroom out on me after a couple months of play.
your avatar oughtta do the trick :wink:

Ken_4fun
03-11-2010, 06:11 AM
For me if I get the tip wet and let it air dry it hardens the tip. I play with a Moori soft (used to Moori Med when they were awesome).

I try to wipe down my shafts with a damp magic eraser and by accident got the tip. To me, once it was dry, it played like a harder tip. FOR THAT REASON I REALLY TRY TO AVOID DOING IT BECAUSE I PREFER A SOFTER TIP.

I notice alot of players wet their fingers and go around the outside edge, in my opinion, this effort over time hardens the edge and prevents mushrooming some.

Im no cuemaker, and I didnt sleep in a Holiday Inn Express either.

Just trying to help,

Ken

Tramp Steamer
03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Why would you want to make it harder when you can buy it that way?
I personally have never seen a Moori mushroom, or any other laminated tip for that matter, but I have seen them develope a slight flair. This usually happened when the tip was new and a quick reshape took care of it.
Putting a laminated tip in a vice will do nothing but damage the tip.

Mr Hoppe
03-11-2010, 08:52 AM

True. They can delaminate. Only press non-laminated tips if you feel it necessary.
Mr H

luv1pocket
03-12-2010, 04:48 AM
I want to get the tip a little harder so maybe it won't mushroom on me. I put water on the sides and burnish and it shines it up a bit.
I just got some tip touch and it makes it harder and darker on the sides but doesn't prevent it from mushrooming 100%.
The last 3 or 4 Hard Moori tips I had mushroomed after a month or so of play. I had someone trim it and it was still mushroomed out a couple days leter.
For over $10 a tip I would think it wouldn't happen much at all. The older ones didn'r mushroom on me much if any but that was years ago.
Odd thing is I don't even break with my playing cue.

Why would you want to make it harder when you can buy it that way?
I personally have never seen a Moori mushroom, or any other laminated tip for that matter, but I have seen them develope a slight flair. This usually happened when the tip was new and a quick reshape took care of it.

crawfish
03-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Dip it in urine and then let it dry. Seriously. The acid in the urine will shrink the leather. Just ask the Cherokee Indians. Hey, you don't have to tell everybody you did it, unless it works.

Blue Hog ridr
03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Hahahaha, Pee on your cue.
It shines your shaft up real nice too.

Tramp Steamer
03-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Hahahaha, Pee on your cue.
It shines your shaft up real nice too.

Rub it in when it's nice and wet.
Hahahaha, gives you a shine you won't regret.

Keep it going folks.