PDA

View Full Version : What kind of oil to use on joint?

bencho
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi,

The joint on my Lucasi has not been very smooth lately. Someone told me to put a drop of oil on it but I can't remember what type of oil. Can it be just regular cooking oil? Or how about Vaseline? I remember putting Vaseline on my DZ cue and that got rid of all squeaking.

Tramp Steamer
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
I would not recommend using oil on a joint. Oil and wood don't mix.
Instead, use a small (and I mean small) dab of vasoline.

NewStroke
03-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I use KY, it's more environment friendly.

Duffman
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I dont know why you would oil a joint. But if I was going to, I'd use hemp oil. :)

Neil
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM

dave sutton
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
dont use oil at all. use a drop if liquid dish soap in the shaft. screw in on and off a few times.

8Ball48043
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
You may want to try just putting a bit of soap (hard soap, bar soap) on the threads. Assemble and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

9 on the snap
03-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I would clean it with alcohol. You are asking for problems down the road if you add anythiny which will leave a residue

Tramp Steamer
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, oil and wood don't mix, so you advise petroleum jelly?

Petroleum products and wood are not good together.

Mineral oil is a very common finish for wooden salad bowls and cutting boards.

Personally, I'd use a tiny bit of beeswax or carnuba wax.

Actually, I guess that is a lie. I'd not worry about the squeaking (unless I thought the wood had swelled from moisture).

When I wrote that I knew someone would comment on it.
In that case, spray the hell out of it with W-D40. What do I care?

dave sutton
03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
trust me... u wont have any problems using dawn or palmolive. ive been doing it for over 10 years.... just a drop or two. hes not filling the hole with soap. there will be no problems down the road. most cuemakers seal wood threads with something. dish soap can be used on wood or brass inserts

i would not clean it with alcohol. the joint is too dry and needs lubed up. i dont think anyone on earth has used alcohol for lube.

qbilder
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Given that it's a lucasi, it's likely a pin and insert so putting a dab of oil on the pin won't affect any wood. Use mineral oil, 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, 10W30, dish soap, hemp oil, whatever. It'll all stop the squeaking. Just a dab, nothing overboard. Even rubbing the pin with wax paper out of your kitchen would prolly work.

WoodyJ
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
As many have said above just use a TINY drop of most anything.

What I use is Ballistol. It's non-toxic, biodegradable and not harmful to wood or plastic. In fact if you read the label you can spray it on plants or into the soil as a nutrient.

http://www.ballistol.com/
http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html

When in doubt as to what to use (and I must have a dozen different types of special lubricants), I grab the Ballistol since it's not harmful to much of anything.

ratcues
03-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I would clean it with alcohol. You are asking for problems down the road if you add anythiny which will leave a residue

This is what Predator recommends doing to clean the brass dust out of the insert. That is what causes the binding or squeaking. The tolerances are very close so any kind of grime can cause failure. Plus, brass is malleable meaning it molds into a foil and can "weld" the pin into the insert.

Use alcohol and a q-tip.

rackem
03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
If it is a uniloc joint clean it with alcohol. Apply nothing that would retain dirt as that could be detrimental to the unilock joint.
We have all heard stories of them getting stuck together due to dirt.
If it is a radial pin lube it with bees wax or for that matter chapstick will work just fine as it contains the bees wax you need.

supergreenman
03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with everybody that has said you need to clean your joint. I do however not recommend using:

alchohol
dishwashing fluid
wd/40
petroleum jelly
petroleum based lubricants
solvents

a slightly moist qtip or cotton swab should be all you need. There are non petroleum based lubricants you can purchase for small scale machines housed in plastic you could probably use. A very small squirt Electrical grade spray silicone lubricant would be my suggestion.

HeLLFiSH
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi,

The joint on my Lucasi has not been very smooth lately. Someone told me to put a drop of oil on it but I can't remember what type of oil. Can it be just regular cooking oil? Or how about Vaseline? I remember putting Vaseline on my DZ cue and that got rid of all squeaking.

given that its a Lucasi, the easiest solution to the joint problem is to get rid of the Lucasi. No Lucasi = No Joint Problem.

briandlau
03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I had an issue once with a custom cue. the joint became so tight it was almost impossible to screw the shaft no without using all of my force. Unscrewing was even harder.

The resolution? Dry Ivory bar soap...no moisturizer. Rub the bar all over the thread. Screw and unscrew your cut together a few times and presto... Problem gone for good.

mm4pool
03-11-2010, 12:37 PM
trust me... u wont have any problems using dawn or palmolive. ive been doing it for over 10 years.... just a drop or two. hes not filling the hole with soap. there will be no problems down the road. most cuemakers seal wood threads with something. dish soap can be used on wood or brass inserts

i would not clean it with alcohol. the joint is too dry and needs lubed up. i dont think anyone on earth has used alcohol for lube.

i have been known to use alcohol to lube (loosen up) a few of the women i have known, lol.

Mike

Tramp Steamer
03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
i have been known to use alcohol to lube (loosen up) a few of the women i have known, lol.

Mike

Finally! Someone with an answer that makes sense. :thumbup2:

mm4pool
03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
seriously though, i would think that a little bit of bar soap or parafin wax on the threads would take care things without damage to the wood or too much residue.

Mike

Hidy Ho
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Man some of you sick bastards have alcohol, Vaseline, KY Jelly and hemp ... oil lying around ... :grin:

bencho
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Whoa, this thread just exploded since I posted!

Ok, so it is a uniloc joint. The shaft is piloted so the joint does not touch wood directly. There seems to be heavy debate between just using water, or oil, or wax, or petroleum, or whatever. I think I'm going to start with just a qtip and water and see if that helps.

George. I hate you.

supergreenman
03-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Mike

I believe that's an acceptable use for Alcohol. :rolleyes:

pooltchr
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I have used candle wax on joints with good success.

Has anyone tried powdered graphite, the kind used to lubricate key locks?

Steve

Maniac
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Has anyone tried powdered graphite, the kind used to lubricate key locks?

Steve

I used to have a tube of powdered graphite that I used to "slick up" the actions on my bolt-action rifles. Worked very well!!!

I also have used dish soap to aid in getting a real tight buttcap on more easily.

Maniac

Tramp Steamer
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll tell you, for a really simple question, on a really simple subject, this thread went to hell in a handbasket.
What about gorilla s**t, will that work? :grin:

greenlight
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
After cleaning the pin, i use a very small amount of gun grease on threads. Same stuff you use on the slide of an automatic pistol. Works smooth as silk.

jimmyg
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Mike

My experience with that method is that it creates more noise than it prevents. Also intended. :ok:

Jim

Mikjary
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll tell you, for a really simple question, on a really simple subject, this thread went to hell in a handbasket.
What about gorilla s**t, will that work? :grin:

Of course not! The seeds from the berries they eat will get stuck in the threads.:grin-square:

greyghost
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
if you got garbage in there stick a few pipe cleaners in there and swirl them around. Then blow out the holes with a can of air duster. Use BAR SOAP to fix squeaky joints, thats what a carpenter uses for squeaky drawers and such, can not beat the bar soap.

Just like when you use a screw and the board cracks, put some bar soap on it and it wont crack.

SOAP IS MAGICAL!
Grey Ghost

Sneakypete05
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I would use synyhetic oil, it costs a little more, but you wont have to use it quite as often.

bencho
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Lol.... this thread has turned into something else huh hahaha. I'm amused.

chevybob20
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
This is what Predator recommends doing to clean the brass dust out of the insert. That is what causes the binding or squeaking. The tolerances are very close so any kind of grime can cause failure. Plus, brass is malleable meaning it molds into a foil and can "weld" the pin into the insert.

Use alcohol and a q-tip.

This is what happened to my Predator. I would follow these directions. My joint got stuck on the second use. I thought I was going to have to return it. What ever happened to QA.

JohnPT
03-11-2010, 07:58 PM
turn the cue upside down and dunk the joint in a cup of oil. any oil will do, the thicker the better. i promise the cue wont squeak ever again. :grin: j/k

mm4pool
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
My experience with that method is that it creates more noise than it prevents. Also intended. :ok:

Jim

thats where the rolled up sock or strategically placed pillow comes in my friend, :wink: lol

Mike

Scott Lee
03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
dave...I know a few who have "lubed" their minds with alcohol! LMAO :eek: It didn't help their pool game though!:grin:

To the OP, dish soap does the trick well!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

i dont think anyone on earth has used alcohol for lube.

FAST_N_LOOSE
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok, so it is a uniloc joint. The shaft is piloted so the joint does not touch wood directly. There seems to be heavy debate between just using water, or oil, or wax, or petroleum, or whatever. I think I'm going to start with just a qtip and water and see if that helps.

WATER=BAD
USE THE ALCOHOL AND A Q-TIP.

RYAN IS THE MAN, TRUST HIM. HE'S NOT GOING TO LEAD YOU THE WRONG WAY.

SOAP, VASELINE, KY, AND CHAPSTIK ALL WORK ON A METAL PIN INTO WOOD THREAD JOINT LIKE THE RADIAL PIN.

Marcus