PDA

View Full Version : My tip came off

kdeblanc
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
My White Diamond tip came off my break cue. Any tips on how to put it back on?

LWW
03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
WD's are a pain about popping off.

Here's how I fixed mine about 2 years ago, and it used to pop off about every 10 breaks and has stayed on since.

- Clean the ferrule and glue side of the WD.

- Rough up both bonding surfaces.

- Take a TIP-PIK, or a sewing needle or finnishing nail if you don't have one, and make several tiny holes in both bonding surfaces. They need not be deep, just make sure you have a dozen or more on each surface.

- Glue the WD back on.

By roughing the surface and making the indentations you are making a larger area for the surfaces to bind. The holes seem to make little "glue nails" to hold it on.

I hope that helps.

LWW

Blue Hog ridr
03-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Did you install it yourself?
Kind of hard to answer your question properly without knowing what type of basic tip tools you use for your installs. The top of the ferrule has to be prepared again as well as the tip. If you plan on just gluing it back on without at least doing that, forget it as it will just pop off again.
Seeing that the tip has been shaped to the diameter of your ferrule, one easy way to re install is to take a sticky note and roll it around your ferrule.
Leave enuff sticky note over the top of the ferrule to be able to guide the tip back onto the top.
If you are looking to buy some tip glue that is easily accessable, I suggest trying LocTite Ultra Gel. It has a rubberized solution and will help keep the tip on a little better next time around.
PS - If you're going to use a nail and hammer to put some holes in the back of the tip, if you don't wear glasses, put on some eye protection.

Morgantownfats
03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I agree the loctite gel is the nuts. You might also try a 5min epoxy and let it dry overnight to ensure a good bond. Just make sure the ferrule surface is smooth and there are no gaps visible. If you have Cue repairman local I would consult them if you still have trouble after this.

Scaramouche
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
You need to be gluing two perfectly FLAT surfaces.

If the tip is sitting up on a little dome of old glue, it will pop off again.

mamono
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
What's wrong with using superglue? When I had a new tip put on my jump/break cue back in 2001, the cue repairman used superglue. That tip hasn't come off at all, though its getting a bit thin. Its held up all these years of breaking.

Scaramouche
03-13-2010, 07:25 AM
What's wrong with using superglue?

Nothing.

And you can buy teeny tiny tubes that have enough glue for two tips.
So you don't waste a lot of money buying big tubes that are going to be useless the next time you replace a tip.

Next to the superiority of fancy cues, the biggest BS on the board is purporting that tip replacement is more complicated than neurosurgery.:D

cswann1
03-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Make sure you sand any old glue off with some 800 grit or so.

I use Gorilla Glue and have never had a tip come off.

Ball Banger
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Ruffing the back of the Tip with 180 or 220 sand paper works for me. I lay the sand paper flat and work the tip in a figure 8 on the sand paper.

Facing the Ferrule is the big trick without a lathe. It can be very difficult to get the Ferrule square by hand. Even with my Cue Smith Lathe, I run into older sticks that have crooked ferrules or slightly warpped shafts. They will run slight crooked on my lathe.

I second the LocTite Ultra Gel. Liquid Super Glue can be absorted by the leather tip and totally change the hit.

BTW I am not a Cue Builder or expert repairman. I am just a Banger with a Lathe trying to learn.

elove
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I use and most of the cue repair shops around here use gorilla glue (super glue impact formula) but i agree the prep b4 installation is the most important