PDA

View Full Version : Mezz or Viking

c.parker
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I've been reading the previous threads and have learned a lot about mezz but not much about viking. I'm looking to order one of these two cues. The Mezz would come with the WD700 shaft and I would be customizing the Viking with an OB Shaft. Price is very similar, less than $50 difference I think. What do you guys think? Will the Mezz overall be a better cue (fit and finish)? Do you think there will be a performance difference between the two?

I've hit with both and I could do either one (didn't try the OB on the viking but I've played with OB shafts before). Just looking for some insight as far as what you have experienced.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l102/bwarehouse/mezz803.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l102/bwarehouse/viking35.jpg

poolplayer2093
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Get the mezz hands down! fit and finish wise it's the better cue for sure. i'd bet on it out preforming the viking too

theyonger
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Youre just asking for trouble with viking
Worse customer service ever
They dont stand behind their product if something is wrong

Mezz 100%

measureman
03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
On looks alone i like the top cue. Is that the Mezz? Might as well look good while you are playing.

c.parker
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I read the "Viking Fail" post but at the same time I have a friend that has had one with zero issues for years. That is why I appreciate the responses. Thanks guys!

Big_H515
03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Get the mezz hands down! fit and finish wise it's the better cue for sure. i'd bet on it out preforming the viking too

Could not have said this better myself.

c.parker
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM

So you think the Mezz will do better even with the addition of an OB Shaft to the Viking?

poolplayer2093
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
So you think the Mezz will do better even with the addition of an OB Shaft to the Viking?

yeah they'll do it right. their united joint is basically a 5/16-14 and any piloted 5/16-14 shaft will fit it but i'm sure royce and the fellas at OB will be able to find you an ob shaft with a united joint if you're dead set on getting it like that. i know predator offers a united threaded shaft so i'm sure OB will too.

you might not have to though. the mezz WD700 shaft is a decent low deflection shaft as it is. all you gotta do now is get yourself the mezz extension and you'll be ready to throw down!

Guerra Cues
03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
It is a no brainer. Mezz all the way and get the HP2 shaft.

poolplayer2093
03-11-2010, 09:56 PM
It is a no brainer. Mezz all the way and get the HP2 shaft.

i bet Tony here can get you a good price on an HP2 shaft too! think about it

monchiwai
03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I owned a viking and shot with Mezz before. without a doubt, Mezz is definitely the better choice!

nathandumoulin
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
This shouldn't even be a decision.

(mezz...obviously)

McChen
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
IMO, Mezz is hands down the best production cue out there. The WD700 shaft is very good for the money, but I like the HP2 a little more. And if you want a killer break cue, try the Power Break 2!

c.parker
03-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Wow, unanimous decision. Thank you to everybody who responded. Looks like I'm going with the Mezz!

Realizm
03-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Wow, unanimous decision. Thank you to everybody who responded. Looks like I'm going with the Mezz!

Mezz you'll love it ..

UrbanCowboy
03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
:smile:

That is like comparing Adams to Meucci, totally different feel and hits.

jimmy91988
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Mezz

poolplayer2093
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
:smile:

That is like comparing Adams to Meucci, totally different feel and hits.

yep. and one wont get you busted

RobDeBank
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd go with the Mezz, you wont be disappointed.

TX Poolnut
03-13-2010, 06:30 AM
I've owned a Viking cue for over ten years and never had a problem with it. It has a very thin production shaft and a very nice hit. It can spin the ball like any of my other cues.

cswann1
03-13-2010, 06:31 AM
The feel of these two are very different.

The phenolic joint of the Viking will have a much softer hit than the SS jointed Mezz.

For anyone who likes a SS jointed cue and wants to support an American business, Schon has a well deserved reputation for making great cues.

Yes...I'm a fanboi.....flame on:thumbup:

poolplayer2093
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM
The feel of these two are very different.

The phenolic joint of the Viking will have a much softer hit than the SS jointed Mezz.

For anyone who likes a SS jointed cue and wants to support an American business, Schon has a well deserved reputation for making great cues.

Yes...I'm a fanboi.....flame on:thumbup:

the joint isn't actually ss. it's just got a ss sleeve at the joint.

c.parker
03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
When in doubt, get both... Haha. :D

cswann1
03-13-2010, 03:47 PM
the joint isn't actually ss. it's just got a ss sleeve at the joint.

Ah cool. I have two Dale Perrys that use a SS sleeve over a pheniloc joint. I like the hit on them a lot.

Do the pins on the Mezz go into a brass insert? If so then I'd still say the hit will be much different.

brilliance
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
I used both, Mezz EC-N with regular shaft and Viking, Mezz is a lot better for me.

Junior1228
03-27-2010, 10:55 PM
I would go with the Viking and the OB.. Both are 2 verry good American Made Products.

I have known many players that own Viking Cues that have never had a problem with them, including me.

Mezz cues are actually designed and produced in Japan, but MEZZ hands down.

Junior

sammi sam
03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
mezz

better choice, better performance

Pool Player
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I used a viking and never look back after getting a Mezz with HP2. :D

TheNewSharkster
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have owned 2 vikings. My friend has a Mezz that I have shot with. Both have a very nice solid hit but I actually like the Viking with the OB shaft more. What is the price though? I would think you could get into a Jacoby or Joss for around the same price and get an even better cue.

skip
03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Mezz 100 percent..........:smile:

trustyrusty
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I'll throw this out there - if you are planning to get an OB shaft for it anyway, why not get an OB Cue???

If you are comparing a stock Viking and a stock Mezz, go for the Mezz with it's already low deflection shaft.

but I've always liked the look of this OB - 131660

sarahrousey
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I would go with Mezz. Like others have said, it already comes with a low deflection shaft that is comparable to Predator, OB, etc. Since you are comparing OB and Mezz, keep in mind how different the hit will be. The hit on the Mezz is going to be a bit stiff. The hit on any cue with an OB shaft is going to feel a bit softer...That could just be my opinion though. The good thing is, you could buy either cue, try it out and decide if you need to switch to the OB shaft.

While Mezz isn't American made, it is a quality product. Mezz has been making cues in Japan for about 60 years. They also have a line of custom cues that are not production. They are the Exceed line.

Let me know if you have any questions about Mezz and I would be happy to answer them for you!

Good luck with your hunt for a new cue.

Sarah

Bob Farr
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I would get the Mezz or the Mezz or last but not least, THE MEZZ!!!

Stylez777
03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I own the OB cue that trustyrusty posted a pic of about 2-3 post above mine. It's the OB-208. It's a great playing cue and was one of the best feeling cues I ever shot with until I test hit a Mezz cue down at the SBE and I have not looked back since! I bought the Mezz cue and shoot with it everyday and I love it! I love it so much I listed my OB-208 in the forsale section because I'll never shoot with it again.

So my opinion?? Buy my OB-208! lol j/k Go with the Mezz you'll be happy that you did!

sarahrousey
03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I own the OB cue that trustyrusty posted a pic of about 2-3 post above mine. It's the OB-208. It's a great playing cue and was one of the best feeling cues I ever shot with until I test hit a Mezz cue down at the SBE and I have not looked back since! I bought the Mezz cue and shoot with it everyday and I love it! I love it so much I listed my OB-208 in the forsale section because I'll never shoot with it again.

So my opinion?? Buy my OB-208! lol j/k Go with the Mezz you'll be happy that you did!

Glad you are liking your new cue Stylez! I know it was a big decision to switch. Good luck!

Sarah

SlimShafty
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Both are fine choices, I think it depends on the feel, I love my Viking with OB-1 shaft, I think it has a softer hit and I like that.

You can't go wrong with either and if I had to make the choice today, I might go with the Mezz, but I had my Viking for years and just can't switch now...thank God for all these great shaft choices.

jay_az
03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
My 3 cents....Mezz, Mezz, Mezz!! I have owned and hit lots of cues and the Mezz for the money is a great cue that delivers! I had a Schon...went back to the Mezz. I had a Meucci...went back to the Mezz. Had a Viking, Mcdermott and Joss....went back to the Mezz. see a pattern here?:rolleyes: Also the build quality is superb and the shafts are always straight. Made in Japan, but it has no accelerator pedal so your OK!;) The finish is also very good and seems quite ding resistant. so in short....go with a Mezz.

jay