PDA

View Full Version : Billiard table cloth color - a survey

Blackball75
03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
This is an interesting article:

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-equipment/choosing-pool-table-cloth-color.asp

Red cloth really gets bashed there! Apparently it hurts the eyes and drives some people nuts.

But my father has a lovely new 9ft table with burgundy colored cloth, and I love it.

What are you guys' preferences? I'm guessing most will say green or blue. But the above article seems to suggest that the most liked color is actually tan.

How does the cloth color affect your game, vision, fatigue, mood and so on.

Here's a color chart of table cloths:

http://www.solidsnstripes.com/cloth.html

poolhustler
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Tournament Blue 860 Simonis is my favorite. After that, standard green!!

I would NEVER put red, burgandy or tan on my table.

MN Kid
03-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Classic green is the only color for me.

Beware_of_Dawg
03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I have pained over this exact subject for some time...

I have a new home, and have recently purchased a (oak) furniture style table (9 footer) the room has oak floors and is currently painted a rust color. While I had grown to really like Blue as a cloth color, blue would look like a virtual train wreck with dark red walls, oak floors, and a oak table... Looking purely at the best match for the room decor Tan, camel or OLive would look very good but in my experince the tans hold the blue chalk stains very badly and simply don't look clean for long on a well used table... Red/Wine etc... out of the question... Ive decided to go with standard green..... I think.

scrappy
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
blue 860 simonis for me

BobTfromIL
03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
The best colors are either blue or green, the worst I ever played on
was black. The room had quite a bit of glare and from certain angles
the side pocket was invisable.

cigardave
03-12-2010, 09:01 AM

What he said.

Blackball75
03-12-2010, 09:08 AM
but in my experince the tans hold the blue chalk stains very badly

You can buy tan chalk.

For example, here: http://www.ozonebilliards.com/silcupchaldo.html

This has a bearing on a related subject I often wonder about.

If I was the owner of a billiard hall, I would make it a rule that patrons can only use chalk that matches the cloth color. This could easily be facilitated by providing the correct color chalk at the tables, or providing it when the balls are collected by the user.

Such a rule, I think, would cut down cloth maintenace quite alot, and probably prolong the life of the cloth (less cleaning etc.). Plus make the table look aesthetically better.

I think even bar tables should have this rule enforced.

pocketpared
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Tournament Blue 760 HR. The balls and whole picture are brighter than the green 860 preceding it. As far as what matches, I'd use electric lime green if I thought it was the best for my eyes and pocketing balls.

Cuephoric
03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Tour edition- standard green, euro blue or electric blue
Simonis- Tour blue or green
Granito- Green

If my table felt doesn't match up with the room, then guess it's time to change up my room....lol
Although grey is also easy to see the balls on, how many people play tourneys on grey felt? lol

Red gives me a headache and has my eyes watering in about 45 minutes so that will never touch my table.

xianmacx
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I had tan simonis on my old GC. Its by FAR the easiest on the eyes.

I have tour blue on my Diamond now, but I would have no issues switching back to Tan. Get a pack of tan masters chalk and all problems are solved.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/xianmacx/102_1970.jpg

Apocalypse2017
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I got green on the table now. upgrading to 860 blue. :smile:

Blackball75
03-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Hey, that looks really good!

mosconiac
03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I have had very good experience with tan/camel & it also looks good on TV too (remember the camel days?). After that, I like tourney blue.

Look at that GCI, those balls POP off the felt.

Blackball75
03-12-2010, 09:32 AM
This local billiard hall is famous for its HOT PINK tables!! Actually, there are 3 such sites locally. Never been there yet ;)

Dartman
03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
...But the above article seems to suggest that the most liked color is actually tan.

Being that we sell close to 2500 cuts of cloth annually I can tell you the most requested color is -
Burgundy followed by Camel (Tan) and then one of the Green shades.

Elephant Man
03-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I have olive cloth now. If the chalk matches it is not noticeable. Will be moving/recovering in a few months. Burgandy sure would match the room and table nicely. Leaning towards classic green at the moment. Anything to make shooting on a public table as similar as possible.

Taco
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I have tan Simonis 860 on my table. Like somebody said, buy the tan Master chalk.

The cloth LOOKS great, but in general I wouldn't recommend it. It's amazing how much the cloth can change your perspective on the balls. The great thing about tan is it's neutral, and the balls end up looking neutral as well. They just don't pop like they do on a darker cloth.

junkbond
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Has anyone ever used Simonis Powder Blue? It's a blue/gray. I'm recovering soon and am considering using something other than Old Fart Green™ for a change.

Big Perm
03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Like blue, like green......dislike red, dislike tan.....

kyo1128
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
What was the color originally? Like when they were actually hitting with the butt end of a Mace? (Sorry for the threadjack)

I like green, blue hurts my eyes for some reason.
Kyo

Beware_of_Dawg
03-12-2010, 11:58 AM
You can buy tan chalk.

For example, here: http://www.ozonebilliards.com/silcupchaldo.html

Yeah, I thought of that... I also thought that the table being oak colored the tan would be too close to exactly the same color as the table and the wood flooring and would look odd.

metallicane
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
My table is US Open blue and I love it. Green would be my next choice, but not Hunter Green. Tan would be my third choice. I played on tan GCs in college at The U and they played really fast.

I hate red, burgundy etc...Mainly because that color chalk is awful.

DogsPlayingPool
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Tournament Blue or Classic green for me.

I'd always been an old school green guy. But the tournament blue has evolved into the "other" classic color and is now pretty much more or less traditional. I recently covered my GC4 in the blue and like it very much. That doesn't mean I wouldn't maybe go green next time around but I sure don't regret having the blue installed. It looks very good on the Brunswick against the wood.

I was mildly concerned about having to adjust to the green when playing in tournaments but that wasn't much of a problem. I recently played in the Swanee and adjusting to the green was no big deal with a little practice time. I suppose blue and green are fairly close on the spectrum.

I'm surprised about the popularity of burgundy and tan, Dartman. Especially the burgundy. Obviously people are choosing these colors for decorating/looks reasons in their homes since I rarely see anything but green (and now blue more frequently) in public pool rooms. I sometimes forget just how many tables are in the hands of private citizens.

skip
03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
My choice is green, isn't that what its about? :thumbup:

TATE
03-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Here is the color chart for Simonis:

http://www.simoniscloth.com/color.htm

For playing I prefer green or tournament blue, however, I went with electric blue for my home, coming off the rug color. I got a paint color that went along with it, to liven up our room. Here's the pic below.

Chris

9 on the snap
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Pool tables are green.

Tak81
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I got burgundy because it matches our room. Since I don't have a dedicated game room, I had to convince the wife to turn one of our larger main rooms into the pool table room :) That means that I had to pick a color that would match nicely with the room. Tan/khaki was the other option, and I kind of wish I went that route. I really don't like the burgundy chalk. However, it will be years before I recover since I just got this two months ago :p

Next time it'll probably be tan/khaki though.

woody_968
03-12-2010, 03:31 PM

exactly :)

Island Drive
03-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Red chalk is very messy on cloths/hands and it absorbs "allot of light". It may enrich the look of the room but you'll never see a world poker tour event on TV with red poker tables, it just doesn't look right, thank god the sponsors of the PGA event don't paint the greens diff colors :), but to each his own.

Fatboy
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM

I have tour blue on my Diamond now, but I would have no issues switching back to Tan. Get a pack of tan masters chalk and all problems are solved.

I cant stand tournment blue or red they both hurt my eyes, I like traditional green, Tan is my second choice. Tan on a GC1 is a legit color for pool players NOT interior decorators

my biz partner has burgandy on his box-so it matches the curtains and rug, its horrible, you cant see the balls.

Island Drive
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I cant stand tournment blue or red they both hurt my eyes, I like traditional green, Tan is my second choice. Tan on a GC1 is a legit color for pool players NOT interior decorators

my biz partner has burgandy on his box-so it matches the curtains and rug, its horrible, you cant see the balls.

Your only saying that because Jay has a tight ass green Diamond ;), he sure banks good.

pooladdiction
03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I think traditional green looks the best but when I get a table I would probably opt for the 860 blue because it's the most popular around here and easy on the eyes. A friend of mine has that camel color on his valley and it looks very sharp also.

Vahmurka
03-12-2010, 07:20 PM
pool tables are the color of money, like they say :) But US Reserve has been playing with money color recently... So if we stick to the saying, pink is the way to go?

Classic Green or Electric Blue. Tan or Camel - I have seen them on pictures only and they look good, must be really easy on your eyes

johnqbs
03-12-2010, 07:23 PM
i know it a preference thing, but i like standard green . it makes me feel
like i am in a pool hall back in the old country .
johnqbs:anderson sc

spktur
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Pool tables are green, the other colors are game room tables.

mantis99
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Green. I generally prefer the standard green, but I have a dark green because it better highlights the light maple color of my table.

Big Arm
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I really like the dark green I have on my table.

SlimShafty
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Simonis Green is the only way to go for me.

I don't care for any other color on a table...If I absolutely had to pick another color it would be tan.

Dartman
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm surprised about the popularity of burgundy and tan, Dartman. Especially the burgundy. Obviously people are choosing these colors for decorating/looks reasons in their homes since I rarely see anything but green (and now blue more frequently) in public pool rooms. I sometimes forget just how many tables are in the hands of private citizens.

Most rooms and bars we deal with opt for classic green but as you mentioned the non-purist home table owner tends to go with a color that coordinates with the home decor - or the wishes of the wife. :grin: There are thousands of table out there beyond AZB and these are owners that are just interested in home entertainment without any regard for leagues, tournaments, tv pool, etc. What's represented here in the forum is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to home table ownership.

Mike in MN
03-13-2010, 12:22 AM

You took every single word right out of my mouth. The Simonis Tournament Blue is gorgeous. Anything other than that or standard green and it's too much of a distraction to the eye.

ArizonaPete
03-13-2010, 08:02 AM
This local billiard hall is famous for its HOT PINK tables!! Actually, there are 3 such sites locally. Never been there yet ;)

There used to be a pool room in Tucson called "Pinkeys" with all the tables done in pink. The bathrooms had some really wild wallpaper. Only stayed in business a couple of years. I only went twice. Once should have been enough. I like Tournament Blue or Green but that GC in tan really makes the balls stand out.

IbeAnEngineer
03-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I prefer the standard green. I also bought Bruswick Cent. balls because I liked the look of them.

However, please note that I consider myself lucky as the pool room in my house is my domain and as such I am not subject to having to conform with my wife's interior decoration themes.