PDA

View Full Version : Fouling after making the ball!

pulzcul
03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Heres one for ya. In our local league last night a guy calls a bank on the 8, makes it, the cue ball caroms back into his tip and I call the foul. He says it doesn't count because the 8 was already down! LMOA I actually let it go! Ever tried to explain a foul to someone when a live band is playing 20' behind you[on league night!]?

tjmc25
03-12-2010, 09:21 AM
LOL I am certainly no rules expert but wow he has no common sense. I wonder if he thinks that it would be ok to make the 8, cue ball go 3 rails and scratch and still be ok for the same reason. I did see in league a few weeks ago, a guy try to call a foul on one of my teammates for a miscue when he was trying to draw the cue ball hard. Obviously he scooped it, still hit his ball, still made his ball, but he tried to call an illegal jump.

KoolKat9Lives
03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
I suggest euthanasia as the most efficient means to guard against replication. Hey, sometimes you just have to make these hard decisions for the greater good. ;)

You're a very tolerant soul. I hope you won the match nonetheless.

SKUNKBOY
03-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I have found it to be extremely difficult to explain rules to people that have no comprehension of physics. It is very difficult to explain a double hit to someone that can not visualize the cue tip moving 1" and only a 1/4" between the cue and object ball.

I love the Dr Dave"s high speed videos and wish I could carry a lap top with all his 'stuff' so I could show these players those videos...I think they might get the picture then.

Your situation seems to be even worse. There is no picture or high speed video that would explain when the shot is over to that guy if he doesn't already know. Hope it didn't cost you in the long run.

BTW, that 'band' doesn't help anything either.

L8R...Ken

12310bch
03-12-2010, 09:51 AM
What was the band playing? Dumb to have a band on league night.
Marketing overkill.

pulzcul
03-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Marketing overkill.

Actually the band was playin old rock &roll and they were pretty good but the they were literally 20' behind the tables. Like standing in front of the speakers at a ZZ Top concert [ lol been there]. Our home bar has Karaoke on league night! Theres no escape.

JennyPav
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Marketing overkill.

agreed, but i'd take a band over karaoke. try shooting during the vocal stylings of two tone deaf, rhythmless girls singing "she's in love with the boy" (cats in heat sound better). my god, i couldn't concentrate. had to circle the table twice before i could quit laughing and refocus.

jrackman
03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure but i think there is/was a rule that stated, you can not touch any ball after a shot until all moving balls come to a complete stop or something to that effect...anybody know for sure?

Ken_4fun
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I play in a in house league and they just changed the rules so you must mark the pocket.

I was destroying this guy for the entire match, but on one game he was on the 8 and marked the pocket. He missed the ball so bad that the 8 actually went 3 rails came back around (the cue ball was also making the journey around the world) and colided with the cue ball, and the 8 went into the pocket.

He jumps up and says, "Thats where I was shooting it!". :rolleyes: Yes, thats where pocket marker layed.

Needless to say, that was the only game he won.

LMAO

Ken

TheBook
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I play in a in house league and they just changed the rules so you must mark the pocket.

I was destroying this guy for the entire match, but on one game he was on the 8 and marked the pocket. He missed the ball so bad that the 8 actually went 3 rails came back around (the cue ball was also making the journey around the world) and colided with the cue ball, and the 8 went into the pocket.

He jumps up and says, "Thats where I was shooting it!". :rolleyes: Yes, thats where pocket marker layed.

Needless to say, that was the only game he won.

LMAO
Ken

If he missed the ball how did it go 3 rails? :scratchhead::rotflmao1:

In call your pocket it doesn't matter how it get there. I am sure that we have all made a "slop" shot on call pocket and got a good laugh from it.

sooperstroke
03-12-2010, 12:13 PM
so if the cueball was headin for a pocket would it be ok to pick it up before it got there? since the 8 was gone already? Some people should take up checkers or something easier for them to understand.

cswann1
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
so if the cueball was headin for a pocket would it be ok to pick it up before it got there? since the 8 was gone already? Some people should take up checkers or something easier for them to understand.

Exactly! And that is exactly the example that I would use to explain to someone who is dense enough to try defend his interference with the cue ball after the shot.

The shot is not over until all balls have stopped moving.

Ken_4fun
03-12-2010, 12:56 PM
If he missed the ball how did it go 3 rails? :scratchhead::rotflmao1:

In call your pocket it doesn't matter how it get there. I am sure that we have all made a "slop" shot on call pocket and got a good laugh from it.

He missed pocketing the ball....:rolleyes:

Yes I have made a ball in a marked pocket sloppily but I dont think I have called a pocket, missed the shot so much that it actually went 3 rails and have the cue ball kick it in with both balls moving....:(

As far as going in first, I have played with guys on the break that if the stripe went into before a solid on the break, you were stripes, and only stripes no choice. Another reason why 8 ball is my least favorite game. Many, many variations.

Ken

juegabillar
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
LOL I am certainly no rules expert but wow he has no common sense. I wonder if he thinks that it would be ok to make the 8, cue ball go 3 rails and scratch and still be ok for the same reason. I did see in league a few weeks ago, a guy try to call a foul on one of my teammates for a miscue when he was trying to draw the cue ball hard. Obviously he scooped it, still hit his ball, still made his ball, but he tried to call an illegal jump.

Actually, if he scooped it, it is an illegal shot. I would have fought anyone on that call.

RobDeBank
03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I was actually out of town playing another young kid in some money games of 9 ball and it was pretty low stakes. One game he made a nice bank on the 9 to get back to even with me and after the 9 dropped he was like foul my cue touched the 9 ball again by accident after I shot it.... I had no idea since I wasnt standing over his shoulder and it barely touched it. I thought it was cool that he told me. It's sad when the guy can't even admit he fouled but it's probably good you let it go... no sense in getting into a fight over league.

DogsPlayingPool
03-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Heres one for ya. In our local league last night a guy calls a bank on the 8, makes it, the cue ball caroms back into his tip and I call the foul. He says it doesn't count because the 8 was already down! LMOA I actually let it go! Ever tried to explain a foul to someone when a live band is playing 20' behind you[on league night!]?

Since it was in league play, isn't someone there that could have settled the matter? It's not like they needed to have witnessed the shot since there was no dispute between the two of you about what happened. The dispute was only about whether the foul counts or not.

tjmc25
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Actually, if he scooped it, it is an illegal shot. I would have fought anyone on that call.

He didn't scoop it on purpose, it was a simple miscue as I stated. The cue ball did not jump over anything, just left the slate before he made his ball. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I cant see it being a foul for a miscue, he didn't double hit it , or get it with the ferrule, he just miscued.

wakuljr
03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
If his arguement is true, then a person can scratch on the 8 and win. You should do that when you play him next Donny. Scratch on the 8 on purpose and use his logic against him. lol

Cuephoric
04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
At a 9ball apa league night in DFW someone asked the league operator if a push was allowed after the break since he was hooked. His response was sure, as long as you hit the 1ball and get a rail or it's a foul.

May not be entirely on topic, but it sure got me laughing

smoooothstroke
04-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Scoop is only a foul if the intention is to jump.A scoop on a draw shot is just a misscue if no other foul occurred.

Mike in MN
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Scoop is only a foul if the intention is to jump.A scoop on a draw shot is just a misscue if no other foul occurred.

Yeah, what he said ...

tjmc25
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Exactly, thank you very much.