PDA

View Full Version : Player patches

nathandumoulin
03-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I just had a whack of Runout Media patches embroidered, and I'm curious as to the product that companies apply to the backs of the patches to make them stick to players clothes during matches? It appears to be some sort of heavy duty double sided 'peel and stick' adhesive.

I've actually called a dozen or more embroidery places in hopes of finding the answer, but no luck. They're all as clueless as I am. Any ideas?

RShellhouse
03-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Nathan,
In the world of fencing...we sew them on the uniforms for the athletes. We have tried adhesives and even velcro and to be honest the adhesives look like crap quick and the velcro while working well is a pain but does allow patches to be replaced easily.

Far better to offer the players to have the patch sewn on at a tailor for a few bucks and make sure it remains looking sharp than people noticing a droopy half on Runout Media patch

then again in fencing people are getting hit with 35" of spring steel so we want them on good...lol..

Your milage may vary

R

Chris Byrne
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I have been looking myself. I did find a couple places online that say they sell self adhesive patches. I have not ordered any yet to try them out.

Beware_of_Dawg
03-12-2010, 10:37 AM
You owe me a patch. lol. I made the name of your company damn it! least I deserve is a patch!

FYI, try google... you'll find what you looking for...

If you want permanent patch adhesive... here (http://www.allstitch.net/product/patch-attach-1oz-bottle-3814.cfm)

this seem to be the market leader and available alomost any craft store

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/72/71622/1285.gif

says :

Bonds almost any patch to fabric
Permanent, washable & dry-cleanable
Non-toxic
Can be removed by reheating

Beware_of_Dawg
03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Here's a website called "patch-ology.org" (http://patchology.org/)

everything you could ever want to know about patches and "how to"

Dave

pooltchr
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
They also make a material that you can cut out and place on the back of a patch and then iron it on your shirt, cap, or whatever. Don't know what it's called, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find in a fabric store.

Steve

nathandumoulin
03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately players don't have the time (or patience) to sew patches on. They need to be able to apply them quickly before a match, and then take them off afterward. This also crosses out the suggestion of that permanent glue.

The patches that I have seen (from several companies such as Mezz) contain a 'peel & stick' adhesive that's perfect. It holds up nicely for a few days, or until you wash your clothes. It takes the player 5 seconds to apply it, doesn't require any other products, and doesn't ruin the article of clothing.

Still looking for this product. Maybe it comes in a sort of double sided tape roll?

NYTechGuy
03-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Nathan - I'd love a patch if you ever would offer them to the public. I am a fan of your DVD's and have a spot for it on my case... :) All the best, John

Rob_jerrylee
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I used double sided tape when I'm at tournys . I love you video's Nathan just like NYTechGuy I'd love to get a patch if you even start giving or selling them .

nathandumoulin
03-13-2010, 05:56 AM
Wow! Thanks a lot guys. I didnt realize I had so much support. :)

The patches will be for sale at Super Billiard Expo at cost. Perhaps I'll consider getting a bunch more made up and selling them on my website. I'll keep you guys posted.

Fast Lenny
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey Nate, I was trying to do some patches for OTR in my logo and have yet to find a good place that does them cheap, have you found anyplace online yet? The adhesive ones are very sticky for sure.

sarahrousey
03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Nate, talk to Caroline Pao. She has a place that does patches that come with the adhesive on the back. I got my second batch of patches through her. The first time I used a website that I found by googling patches. It took about two weeks to get them but they were really good.

Good luck!
Sarah

GADawg
03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I think double sided tape is the answer. Can buy it everywhere.

mrinsatiable
03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
listen to sarah's advice. i had some billiard patches with one side that had self adhesive like the mezz patches.

this is the best way to go but for your patches that you already have use double sided tape.

sk8ordie
03-14-2010, 12:48 AM
If you're still looking, ask Justin at TAR. They have great patches with the adhesive on the back. I bought some Sk8boarding patches on Ebay from people who make there own and the were great quality. You might be able to message them for some info. Let me know where I can buy yours when there ready:thumbup: Ron

nathandumoulin
03-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Nate, talk to Caroline Pao. She has a place that does patches that come with the adhesive on the back. I got my second batch of patches through her. The first time I used a website that I found by googling patches. It took about two weeks to get them but they were really good.

Good luck!
Sarah

Thanks Sarah. I'll definitely ask Caroline while I'm at SBE (seeing as I'm sharing a double booth with her and Mika). On a side note, great performance this week!

If you're still looking, ask Justin at TAR. They have great patches with the adhesive on the back. I bought some Sk8boarding patches on Ebay from people who make there own and the were great quality. You might be able to message them for some info. Let me know where I can buy yours when there ready:thumbup: Ron

I've sent Justin a handful of PM's over the last year or so, including one last week. He has yet to respond to a single one of them, so I'd rather not ask him. A shame too, as he seems like an otherwise nice guy. :(

As for the patches being offered for sale, I'll be posting them up when I post the complete re haul of my website next month. I'll be selling them at cost. Runout Media is not the same company it was 2 months ago, and I think everyone is going to be pretty surprised when they see what's coming down the pipe this year.

JCIN
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM

Good luck!
Sarah

+1

We get our patches through Caroline and couldn't be happier.

nathandumoulin
03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
lol

Justin!

I knew that would work. Talk a little trash and I'd have your attention. :p

Call me when you're at SBE 1-888-346-5087 extension 1. I have something big on the line that TAR should capitalize on.

JCIN
03-15-2010, 01:07 AM
lol

Justin!

I knew that would work. Talk a little trash and I'd have your attention. :p

Call me when you're at SBE 1-888-346-5087 extension 1. I have something big on the line that TAR should capitalize on.

See you there sir. I can't wait to hear what you have coming up next.