PDA

View Full Version : Quesion about the Wednesday Night Warm Up tournament at the Super Billiards Expo

master9baller
03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anybody know if pro players can play in this event?? I just looked at the player list and see a definite pro listed. The event is clearly listed under amateur events. He has a nice deal with Lucasi Hybrid and his name isn't Thorsten.

doitforthegame
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Does anybody know if pro players can play in this event?? I just looked at the player list and see a definite pro listed. The event is clearly listed under amateur events. He has a nice deal with Lucasi Hybrid and his name isn't Thorsten.

LOL! Go and play. Do the best you can and don't worry about who is playing. I played in the amateur one year and Rodney Morris won it!

Bob

meximan2469
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
The one name that stands out for me in the list is Larry Price but i'm not sure how you establish if someone is pro or amateur I think Larry won the amateur event last year, also their are a couple other recognizable names like Shawn Wilkie etc..... I know personally I'm not going to win I just hope to shoot well and win a match or two in the amateur open, I like the format where you play 2 out of 3 sets to 5, gives you the chance to re-focus for the next set, if you get down in one of the sets.

Who is the pro that is sponsored by Lucasi??

These next few days are going to go by soo slow though...

See everyone there,

master9baller
03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Rodney Morris won the amateur event! Really! Hopefully that was before he was known, like 12 years ago.

The pro is Shawn Wilkie, who is a great up and coming player who is also a great guy. None the less when somebody has a major sponsorship why can't they leave the amateurs something? Anyway it's never the players fault, but the tournament director should keep true pros out if that's how the tour is presented. Remember the name he'll also be in the pro event.

I know that if I don't like it I can "go #$%ing starting my own tournament". Just did. It's a AA and below handicapped $100 entry. Big money, a real chance of winning and competitive. Tired of the same top 2-3 guys winning 90% of the cash. Would be different if I were in the top 1-3 of course. That day will come, then I'll take the other side of my argument.

9_Ball_King
03-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I talked with Allen on Monday and he said this Wednesday night warm-up tournament is open to anyone.......unlike the Amateur Open. The strongest players that I know of that I see on the list are: Dee Adkins, Jason Kirkwood, Larry Kressel, Ryan McCreesh, Larry Price, Shaun Wilkie. I'm not playing in it......but it's going to be basically like the 8-player mini-tournaments they run there......you win 3 matches and you get $400. Sheesh....now I'm starting to wish I did sign up.......bet $55 to win $400....:cool:

master9baller
03-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I am a SBE virgin, but my fellow players tell me I'm in for a huge surprise. I can't wait!!

I am down for $20-50 a game action, but will need a little spot from SVB, Rodney ect! Everyone else look out.

master9baller
03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
9ballking after the draw I might sell you my spot for $100 if I have to beat the top shelf guys.

Like always it will be luck of the draw.

So 3 in a row for 400... then give me Wilkie, SVB and Archer. Hey if I'm dreaming then let it be big.

Anybody want to lend me $500 for the Pro event? If I win I'll split it with you 70-30.

JamisonNeu
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Well Larry is a expert at pocket billiards that is no secret.

There is no standard to be a pro player...

master9baller
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Nationwide advertisement is a great starting point though. Can't fly under the radar when you're on page 3 of Billiards Digest.

Good luck to all the regular Joe's who keep this sport alive. It's only race to 3, alternating break, best 2 out of 3 sets. I ain't scared. Let's break some hearts and wallets next week!

After that I'll be happy with 16th in the open.

UrackmIcrackm
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
when somebody has a major sponsorship why can't they leave the amateurs something?

Because the majority of sponsorships don't pay anything and they have to eat & live like everyone else. Most amateurs have full time jobs and most pros are trying to live off of pool.

I believe you misunderstand sponsorship in pool and would be quite surprised at what the actual sponsorship is (or isn't). I haven't talked to Shaun Wilkie in quite some time so I have absolutely no knowledge of the deal he has. I can venture a guess from knowledge of past sponsorships though.

My guess is that Shaun gets x amount of cues per yr either for free or at a discounted price. He gets to keep the money made from selling the cues and that is considered sponsorship. Selling a few cues might put food in his belly or even cover the travel cost to a tournament but he would have to sell a lot of cues to cover normal living expenses or tourney expenses like hotels, food, and entry fees.

master9baller
03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
No I get it. That's why it's a pastime for me. I hope to god he gets a little more than 50 cues to sell, because nowadays you can't give them away.

We all have the goal of winning. I've played hundreds of tournaments and have gained a realistic gambler's mentality when it comes to odds. My odds,your odds, can this guy get out from here ect... Bottom line it's all statistics and the cream eventually will rise to the top. This event was listed under amateur events, just wanted to understand what that meant.

I'm still ALL IN 4 days to go boys.