PDA

View Full Version : Practicing During Match - WPBA

GADawg
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I am watching the San Diego WPBA stream. During the Ewa Laurence match, they took a break at 5/5 and it looked to me like Ewa was practicing on the match table during the break. She threw out several balls and wws shooting them.

I thought practicing during a match was against everybody's rules everywhere.

Did I see right and do WPBA rules allow that?

Maniac
03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I am watching the San Diego WPBA stream. During the Ewa Laurence match, they took a break at 5/5 and it looked to me like Ewa was practicing on the match table during the break. She threw out several balls and wws shooting them.

I thought practicing during a match was against everybody's rules everywhere.

Did I see right and do WPBA rules allow that?

I saw this happen at the U.S. Open in Norman, Oklahoma last year. Guess who was the offender?

Yep, Ewa Laurence.

I'm sure there is a rule against it, but the women are so close to one another as a whole, I doubt that Steve Tipton would call this without someone complaining, which I also think would not happen.

Maniac

GADawg
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM
That is really silly if that is how they play. You're my friend so you can break the rules, and the officials don't care.

I like the lady players and the WPBA in general but that is really bush league.

CrisDeLaGarza
03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
The rule is actually opposite of what you might think. Players HAVE to take their breaks IN BETWEEN games (no matter who is breaking) because they want to allow the player who is NOT taking their break to stay warm. ALL players, not just Ewa, are allowed to shoot on the match table while their opponent is gone. This is so players can't use taking a break as a shark tactic to try to make your opponent cold. No one is playing favorites when you see a player practice on a match table.

In fact, if for instance, Player A is breaking and player B wants to take a break. Player A can choose to break and continue playing with the tournament director watching while Player B is gone if they choose to.

GADawg
03-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Got it but I have never seen it before.

I see Pan doing the same now.

Thanks

mjantti
03-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Just to remind that under WPA rules practising during a match is considered an unsportsmanlike conduct. http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_fouls#6.16

So WPBA doesn't use WPA rules on this issue. It seems to be just a WPBA policy.

Worminator
03-13-2010, 06:39 AM
The rule is actually opposite of what you might think. Players HAVE to take their breaks IN BETWEEN games (no matter who is breaking) because they want to allow the player who is NOT taking their break to stay warm. ALL players, not just Ewa, are allowed to shoot on the match table while their opponent is gone. This is so players can't use taking a break as a shark tactic to try to make your opponent cold. No one is playing favorites when you see a player practice on a match table.

In fact, if for instance, Player A is breaking and player B wants to take a break. Player A can choose to break and continue playing with the tournament director watching while Player B is gone if they choose to.

That is an excellent rule. I hate the taking a break as a shark move tactic.

On the other hand, it happens in all kinds of other sports with time outs, i.e., taking a time out to freeze the kicker in football right before a field goal. Or a time out in basketball when the other team is on a scoring run.

Maniac
03-13-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for posting and clearing this up :thumbup:!!!

Maniac