PDA

View Full Version : any online billiard trainers like this?

Eruditass
03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm casually trying to teach some people how to play pool and/or get better. I really want to get people to work on their setting, but it's hard. FargoBilliard's cue control videos were great, but I recently came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENJxqR0g48&feature=fvw#t=2m10s

Now I know there are tons of games (flash and ones you install) that simulate pool. Do any of them have trainer options that will show the cue ball path so people can see where the ball before hitting it, so they can see how where they aim changes that path. Also, effects of english/speed/cut angle, on the cue ball path, would be amazing (since games have this programmed anyway to calculate cue ball path anyway)

I think it would be an amazing tool, if people could see how adjusting each variable effects the cue ball path.

Blackball75
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Now I know there are tons of games (flash and ones you install) that simulate pool. Do any of them have trainer options that will show the cue ball path so people can see where the ball before hitting it, so they can see how where they aim changes that path. Also, effects of english/speed/cut angle, on the cue ball path, would be amazing (since games have this programmed anyway to calculate cue ball path anyway)

Funny, I was just thinking about this last night. Virtual Pool 3 does have a ball tracking option that shows you where the balls will go after a stroke (see below). It also adjusts for English, speed etc.

VP3 is the best billiards simulation ever made. And it continues to be developed:

http://www.celeris.com/games/vp3/

It also includes a number of training functions/exercises (a couple of screenshots below).

Also here are some screenies from the next gen of VP3:

http://www.celeris.com/games/vp3/gold/

RoryHunt
03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I used to love VP3, but now that I have become better in real life than I am on the game, I can't play it, I think it gets me out of stroke. I am probably just paranoid. It is a tremendous game though. I just can't see the angles right in VP3.

Of course you have a perfect, perfect stroke in that game, which begs the question, which is more important, a good stoke or proper aiming?

Is there an emoticon for opening a can of worms, or beating a dead horse?

Eruditass
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
very cool, I will check out the demo.

I never liked playing pool games because I could never aim as good as real life. But putting spin was pretty sweet.

Also, I couldn't tell which games (if any) had effects like swerve, deflection, CIT, SIT...

What does VP3 have?

Eruditass
03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Of course you have a perfect, perfect stroke in that game, which begs the question, which is more important, a good stoke or proper aiming?

Well, I see it as a chain, and you are as good as your weakest link.

I'd be inclined to break out power control and cue ball control out, even though technically you could put those inside of the above 2.

RoryHunt
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
very cool, I will check out the demo.

I never liked playing pool games because I could never aim as good as real life. But putting spin was pretty sweet.

Also, I couldn't tell which games (if any) had effects like swerve, deflection, CIT, SIT...

What does VP3 have?

Everything. You should try it.

Eruditass
03-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Wow, this is perfect, I remember hearing about it, I should've tried it out before. They even show how far the balls will go with a certain amount of speed, when backspin turns to rolling english, the effect of raising the butt of the cue, etc. Awesome. And not just pocket size, but pocket cut. Who needs my own pool table now?? :-p

Has anyone tried using this stuff to help others learn? I am sure this will help me out in some of the harder concepts like swerve...

The only thing missing is a) simulated sharking and b) simulate different pool sticks like LD shafts (although i see there is a cue case?)

Also, using top spin to widen the angle when kicking doesn't seem to show up and I see no 1p!

Blackball75
03-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Check this out too:

http://pool.bz/Aiming-Calculator.php

SpiderWebComm
03-17-2010, 05:34 AM
I used to love VP3, but now that I have become better in real life than I am on the game, I can't play it, I think it gets me out of stroke. I am probably just paranoid. It is a tremendous game though. I just can't see the angles right in VP3.

What he said. They can't replicate true depth perception in 2D space. Friends beat my guts in at pool games for the wii and xbox and whatnot but in real life they'd never have a shot.