PDA

View Full Version : Correct cue length for a player’s height

twal
03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know the recommended cue length as it compares to a players height?
I know in some perspective that the length of your arms matter as well.
My issue is that I am 6 foot, ˝ inches tall (not really tall).
My cue length is 58 inches (29” butt & 29” shaft).
I noticed that my teammates who are 5’ 8” to 5’ 10” don’t have the same issues I have.
A lot of times I find back hand between the wrap and the end of the butt. There are also a few times that I am almost at the end. Needless to say I think my stick is too short for me.
This puts me in the market for at least a new 30” shaft to address this issue.
What if I need a 30” butt and a 30” shaft?
I don’t want to waste any money, times being what they are

Does anyone have any reliable information on this subject?

RShellhouse
03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Go read this..

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=179035

R

Eruditass
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
doesn't depend on your height per say, but more your bridge length (and I guess your shoulder width and upper arm length)

same with balance point.

9bizzle
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm 6'2" and find my hand near the end of the cue also, but I have a long bridge length too. I've never felt that my stick is too short though. I guess it depends on you and if you feel that something is wrong with your game because of your stick length.

TATE
03-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know the recommended cue length as it compares to a players height?
I know in some perspective that the length of your arms matter as well.
My issue is that I am 6 foot, ˝ inches tall (not really tall).
My cue length is 58 inches (29” butt & 29” shaft).
I noticed that my teammates who are 5’ 8” to 5’ 10” don’t have the same issues I have.
A lot of times I find back hand between the wrap and the end of the butt. There are also a few times that I am almost at the end. Needless to say I think my stick is too short for me.
This puts me in the market for at least a new 30” shaft to address this issue.
What if I need a 30” butt and a 30” shaft?
I don’t want to waste any money, times being what they are

Does anyone have any reliable information on this subject?

It sounds like you need a 59" or 60" cue - but read this first.

Just from experience. What I've found is I want a cue that's just long enough to do the job without cramping my form while keeping my hand somewhere on the wrap. Playing with your hand on the butt does change the feel of balance - but it can be done easily and people get used to it. Corey Deuel has played this way for years.

I'm your size and I wear 35" dress shirt sleeve size. I was playing with a 60" cue. Now I've gone to 59" and I like it better. I moved my grip hand a little forward too -I like that better as well. Now my grip hand is on the back of the wrap with a 59" cue. my friend is 6'3" and went from a 60" back to a 58".

I had listened to some instruction and found my grip hand was too far back. It was awkward. Moving your grip hand slightly forward of 90 degress at address (in relation to your bicep) is not something some instructors think is the thing to do. I have found that it gives me better control of the stroke. It creates a more compact stroke (this does not have anything to do with bridge length). A compact stroke is easier to control. I've frozen video on pro players and at impact most of their forearms are forward of 90 degrees.

I think you'll be good with the 30" shaft. My handle is 30" and the shaft 29" now. I don't think it makes much difference because the longer shafts have the same taper. It probably wouldn't hurt to get some practice with your grip hand moved forward a little to see if a more compact stroke helps your game.

Chris

twal
03-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Excellent point on the back hand at 90 degrees.
I have worked on that issue with some instruction.
I moved it up for about 6 weeks and my game went down.
Maybe the feel was gone... Don't know.
My game never came back up and it was uncomfortable for me.
So I moved my hand back and now much better results (back where I was).
So I have to look for another option.

MikeM
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Has EW measured your wing spand yet? ;)

twal
03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I never have measured it.
Usually it is about as long as you are tall.
I guess I could find out.
Let's just say it is 71" does that mean one thing or another? If so how?

TATE
03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Excellent point on the back hand at 90 degrees.
I have worked on that issue with some instruction.
I moved it up for about 6 weeks and my game went down.
Maybe the feel was gone... Don't know.
My game never came back up and it was uncomfortable for me.
So I moved my hand back and now much better results (back where I was).
So I have to look for another option.

Then I do think a 60" cue is probably right for you. What thickness and type of shaft do you use?

Chris

twal
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I am shooting with a McDermott, Z2 29" shaft.
My debate is will going to a 30" shaft be enough?
Myabe it is time for a custom cue with a 30" butt.
Plus the Z2 is too small for me, I feel I need to go bigger. Probably will go to 12.75 mm.
Either a 314-2 or if I get my hands on OB classic to test out.

Fobstarr
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Now...what about the other end of the chart? Should shorter players use a cue under 58"? I'm 5' 3" and I was thinkin if a slightly shorter cue might assist my game. I know this is definitely not as common as with the big boys. Does anyone have input or know of anyone that use ... let's say a 57"?

twal
03-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Oddly enough one of my buddies is 5' 2" and he shoots with either a 57" or 56" stick. I asked him and he thinks it is 57".
He said he really feels the difference.

TATE
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Plus the Z2 is too small for me, I feel I need to go bigger. Probably will go to 12.75 mm.

I have an inexpensive 30" McDermott butt - fairly plain - with 30" shaft (12mm) - it's new (unused) and I would sell it to you very cheap. It's at the office - I can grab it Monday and send some pics. I bought it in a liquidation but never used it. If I recall it has the 3/8 X 10 joint.

Chris

crawfish
03-13-2010, 08:38 PM
I think everyone should use an 80" cue. Everyone. Can't you picture Efren, or Efram (as Jimmy Mataya and Earl call him)?

63Kcode
03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I am 6' and really like my cue to be 61". There has been alot of talk about longer cues recently. A search might help. If you are ever in the Dallas area let me know. I will let you hit some of mine.

Larry

real bartram
03-14-2010, 06:59 AM

try a 31 in butt and 29 in shaft.
i have played with this for a long time.

twal
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the offer to hit a few wiht the 61". I am an 1 hr north of Milwaukee WI.
Also I did follow up with my buddy who is 5' 2".
He is shooting wiht a 58" stick - the same as I do, Go figure.
Besides getting a custom bulit 30" or 31" butt to go with a 30" shaft. Does anyone know of any of the cue manufactures that make a butt that long?
It really sounds like it might be a good choice to look at a 30" butt and then go from there.