PDA

View Full Version : Who would you recommend to refinish a Joss West

ftgokie
03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I picked up a sideways Joss West and a 1991 Richard Black today pretty cheap and the JW needs refinished. The wood looks unharmed, but the clear coat needs refinished.

I would like to keep the original wrap on the cue. Anyone have any recommendations as to who would be the best for the job? I will more than likely have it refinished and resale it but wont know 100% for sure till after I get the cue back...it has 2 original shafts, 4 pointer, with 2 black and 2 red veneers, 4 MOP diamond inlays in the butt and round MOP inlays between each diamond.

And forgot to mention, this cue is 57" long

Thanks
Shawn

cue fix
03-13-2010, 04:59 PM
If you are thinking of selling, you should see if someone else might want it in original condition first.

ftgokie
03-13-2010, 05:04 PM
If you are thinking of selling, you should see if someone else might want it in original condition first.

Im not 100% sure I am gonna sell it....I am more than likely leaning towards keeping it, but you never know. I just know the finish looks like hammered hell....but the wood is not dented in or scratched....so regardless, its gonna get a refinish.

DogsPlayingPool
03-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Have Bill Stroud do it. That's what I would do if it was my cue and I wanted it restored.

ftgokie
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Have Bill Stroud do it.

uhhhh, thats kinda what I was just thinking.....i was actually looking up info on how to contact him.

Crap, just found out, he is in Ruidoso Downs NM...I was just there this past weekend. I will contact him......Thanks for making up my mind Dogs!

Shawn

TATE
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I picked up a sideways Joss West and a 1991 Richard Black today pretty cheap and the JW needs refinished. The wood looks unharmed, but the clear coat needs refinished.

I would like to keep the original wrap on the cue. Anyone have any recommendations as to who would be the best for the job? I will more than likely have it refinished and resale it but wont know 100% for sure till after I get the cue back...it has 2 original shafts, 4 pointer, with 2 black and 2 red veneers, 4 MOP diamond inlays in the butt and round MOP inlays between each diamond.

Thanks
Shawn

57" would typically be a really early one.

If Bill is too busy, I like Scot Sherbine at Proficient for refinishing and restoration. He is especially good at working around the wrap and does a nice job cleaning wraps too. Besides his nice finish work, he usually turns cues around in 10 days and is very reliable. Scot is also careful - he's never damaged a cue of mine.

Chris

ftgokie
03-13-2010, 05:17 PM
57" would typically be an older one. Does it have the J with the sideways W logo?

If Bill is too busy, I like Scot Sherbine at Proficient for refinishing and restoration. He is especially good at working around the wrap and does a nice job cleaning wraps too. Besides his nice finish work, he usually turns cues around in 10 days and is very reliable. Scot is also careful - he's never damaged a cue of mine.

Chris

yea, its the J with sideways W....a dang 24yr old kid had it. Came up to me and asked me if i wanted to buy a couple of cues...he showed me he had an old 1991 Richard Black...kinda beat up, with 1 shaft, and the JW with 2 shafts, the clearcoat is beat to hell....

We went to visit Eric Crisp last weekend and we drove right through Ruidoso Downs, NM where Bill lives I just found out...I might give him a call and possibly drive it down and try and visit Bills shop if he would let me

DogsPlayingPool
03-13-2010, 05:37 PM
uhhhh, thats kinda what I was just thinking.....i was actually looking up info on how to contact him.

Crap, just found out, he is in Ruidoso Downs NM...I was just there this past weekend. I will contact him......Thanks for making up my mind Dogs!

Shawn

Here's his website:

Josswest (http://www.josswest.net/home.html)

You can certainly contact him through this. And BTW, I wouldn't care how long it took or how much it cost. But as Tate says, Proficient does excellent work and is well regarded.

grindz
03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I had Bill do mine and he did a nice job. He did rewrap mine though. I would think the answer would depend on your purchase cost and if you are going to keep and use it or sell. I wouldn't just drop in on Bill... definitely call first.

Good luck.

td

TATE
03-13-2010, 06:30 PM
yea, its the J with sideways W....a dang 24yr old kid had it. Came up to me and asked me if i wanted to buy a couple of cues...he showed me he had an old 1991 Richard Black...kinda beat up, with 1 shaft, and the JW with 2 shafts, the clearcoat is beat to hell....

We went to visit Eric Crisp last weekend and we drove right through Ruidoso Downs, NM where Bill lives I just found out...I might give him a call and possibly drive it down and try and visit Bills shop if he would let me

Well, if it's 57" it's probably one of his very earliest cues after he split with Dan Janes. I had one and it was a rare birdseye on birdeye 4 prong with green veneers and an ivory ferrule. Like a dummy I sold it to turn a quick buck - later on he told me that he only made two like that. It ended up with a friend of mine who is a collector.

About that logo - he engraved each one by hand with engravers tools - so they are all a little different. Bill remembers all his old cues pretty well. Why don't you post some pics if you get a chance.

If you want to sell it, I might have a buyer for you if the cue is reasonably straight and sound - finish doesn't matter.

Chris

cuesmith
03-13-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks
Shawn

Dick Neighbors, RHN custom cues, a regular here and my old partner.

golfnut1
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Go to www.proficientbilliards.com the guys name is scott sherbine.
He does excellent work and a great reputation. look at some of his work.

12310bch
03-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Scott Sherbine/Proficient Don't let anybody tell you you don't care about
time or price. Call Scott and talk to him . He answers his own phone . Ask him his advice. I've had 3 cues done by him. People are always amazed when they see them. Check out his web site. It's amazing.

atthecat
03-14-2010, 02:17 AM
I had Bill do mine and he did a nice job. He did rewrap mine though. I would think the answer would depend on your purchase cost and if you are going to keep and use it or sell. I wouldn't just drop in on Bill... definitely call first.

Good luck.

td

I heard Stroud charges $500 for a refinish. That can't be true can it???

Proficient is great.

JimmyRayK
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
For price, quality of work, turnaround time and one of the nicest guys in the business, call Rick at Phillippi cues. He just restored a older JOSS cue for me and it turned out absolutely amazing.

If you call Rick, tell him I sent you. They have done ton of work for me.

Call me if you have any questions. Below are phone numbers for you.

Have a good one.....................:smile:

JimmyK

Phillippi Cues: 410-437-2386
Josswest: 575-378-5677
My cell: 812-455-5528

Arcman
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
:smile: The fine folks at Jacoby cues have refinished different cues I have owned and they also do a great job...and are very reasonably priced...

Including having an extension put in my cue

manwon
03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
You may also want to consider Danny Janes (Joss Custom Cues), he would also do a great job, if Bill Stroud is busy, however, I have no idea what he charges for a re-finish.

ftgokie
03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
thanks everyone. I have had 2 people tell me that Bill charges 500.00 for a refinish. I sent him an email asking for a price to refinish the cue. So I wont know until he replies.

I am also even going to contact Eddie Farris and ask him. I know he charged me 125.00 to refinish an old cue of his I had and it looked like brand new.

Lots of good advice on here, and I appreciate everyones recommendations.

Shawn

patrickcues
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Pm sent to you Shawn!

zrx replica
03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I just saw that Doug Patrick sent a line to you...Just giving you my thoughts on refinish...Doug did my Huebler very proud! You may wanna go this way if Mr. Stroud cant. I also think that the original builder should be the choice, but if not possible, Mr. Patrick is a winner!!

ftgokie
03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks again for everyones advice. Honestly, I had a brain fart and forgot all about Doug.....me and the family will be heading up to Kansas City in the next couple of months...I am just gonna drop it off with him.....

I hear he can work on a cue :thumbup:

ridewiththewind
03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Have Bill Stroud do it. That's what I would do if it was my cue and I wanted it restored.

Tap, tap, tap!!

patrickcues
03-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks again for everyones advice. Honestly, I had a brain fart and forgot all about Doug.....me and the family will be heading up to Kansas City in the next couple of months...I am just gonna drop it off with him.....

I hear he can work on a cue :thumbup:
Thanks Shawn!!!

OUSooner
03-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Jim Ingram