PDA

View Full Version : Website advise

rugerfan
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I am working with a custom cue builder who is producing some of the most unique and original created cues I have ever had the pleasure to handle. Example; one cue is 21 point made of Brazillian rosewood and master grade 5A Hawaiian Koa (simply stunning!). I am considering starting a website to post past and present available cues. I don't know where to start. Do we have web designers lurking here? If so, I need the down low on getting a site built, securing a web name, pricing, ect. Feel free to contact me direct at;

GKLong@comcast.net

Thanks!

TannerPruess
03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Email sent; hope that can help you get started.

Billiard Review (http://www.BilliardReview.net)

Scaramouche
03-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Billiard Review (http://www.BilliardReview.net)

Why do so many web masters think that dark background is wonderful???

The real whizzes also use dark type so that the only way it can be read is using the 'no style' setting on the View options.

Big_H515
03-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Contact Benfica here. I know he does some web design. Maybe he can do something for you, or at least point you in the right direction.

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Why do so many web masters think that dark background is wonderful???

The real whizzes also use dark type so that the only way it can be read is using the 'no style' setting on the View options.

A lot of them just use an online site builder... in this case it's a yahoo site builder template. I hope the guy didn't charge much money for this. I always felt it was a little shady to say "I'm a web designer" and charge people money... then use some online site building tool that is designed for any novice to make their own site without knowing html or css. Those jpgs are also kinda nassy >_<

Ruger - if you could message me some details on what the site needs to do maybe I can help.

nathandumoulin
03-14-2010, 07:16 AM
I build the occasional site, but unfortunately I'm far too busy at the moment to offer my services. If you have any questions, just send me a PM and I'll do my best to advise you.

rugerfan
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the advise. I kinda looked around at some of the different web hosting sites and they all pretty much offer the same packages at different price points. The cue maker I represent is building some of the most unique and original designs with the highest quality materials. I have sold about 18 of his cue's locally (I'm in the Baltimore/DC corridor) but I really think it's far time to reach out and get his name out there. Here's an example of his work;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/IMG_0470.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Rugerfan/IMG_0460.jpg

8 different premium woods were used in this one of a kind cue. Notice how the finger jointing plays into the butterfly design. Outstanding stuff here guys.

I guess what I'm looking for is info on the pitfalls of using the pre-packaged site builders out there. I'm pretty sure I can put it together myself (well, maybe with a little advise...) if I go that route.

Thanks for the info!

J Soto
03-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Rugerfan,

Is the pic you posted a break/jump? If so how much?

rugerfan
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Not a J/B, two piece custom. The ring work gives the impression of a J/B. I have had customers who had J/B's made to match their playing cue so they have a matched set. I'll PM you with details on this cue.

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
That is a damn stylish cue, never saw anything like it. Sounds like nathan has you covered but feel free to toss me a PM too. Would like to help this builder get his name out there.

watchez
03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice cue that I think he ruined with those rings.

nathandumoulin
03-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the advise. I kinda looked around at some of the different web hosting sites and they all pretty much offer the same packages at different price points.

Yeah, hosting is the easy part. I use Hostmonster.com, but I'm sure that most of the other providers offer similar services. From what I understand, stuff like apache, php, asp, wordpress, etc are all commonly supported now.

I'm not sure how complex of a site you're after, but a basic HTML/CSS page might be a good start. Everyone and their dog knows how to build HTML pages these days. That however, does not mean that even 2% of these people are qualified. Regardless of who builds it, just make sure they are fluent in CSS, and also maybe know a bit of PHP.

Having a background in graphic design is also key, as even a well coded site can still look like sh*t. The vast majority of sites are very poorly designed. Having something sub-par will only retract from the impression on the cues you'll be showcasing. In a way, sites are like cues. To 75% of players, one cue is the same as the other. But since you're catering to that top 25% who are keen on quality, your site must equally meet their expectations. A poorly designed site will reflect poorly on the cues themselves.

Also make sure you check the designer's portfolio first. Any real site designer will have one. If they don't, well....move on and find someone else, otherwise you drastically increase the risk of being disappointed at the result.

Lastly, browse around the internet and catalog a handful of links of sites that you like. Choose elements from each that appeal to you most, and show them to your designer. Having good references is key to ensuring that your designer builds something you'll like.

Good luck. :)

TATE
03-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I am working with a custom cue builder who is producing some of the most unique and original created cues I have ever had the pleasure to handle. Example; one cue is 21 point made of Brazillian rosewood and master grade 5A Hawaiian Koa (simply stunning!). I am considering starting a website to post past and present available cues. I don't know where to start. Do we have web designers lurking here? If so, I need the down low on getting a site built, securing a web name, pricing, ect. Feel free to contact me direct at;

GKLong@comcast.net

Thanks!

With companies like Homestead, it's easy to build a simple site. It's not too difficult to learn. Why not learn how to do your own? That way you can maintain it yourself and gain a valuable skill.

My Palmercollector site was the first thing I ever did. It needs a revamp when I have time but now I have done a lot of other sites for my company that are pretty attractive, using the Homestead software.

Here's one I did recently with Homestead. I did not use a template for this, just my own art designs in a photo program:

http://www.wsauahawaii.com/

Chris

adibon
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Salam ,
Why not starting with a blog instead of a site ?
I make a weblog for you for free . It does it all for you . How this sounds ?

8Ball48043
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Once you find someone to do the mechanics or if you're an AZer with an existing web site, perhaps I could help with web site content.

I am a retired, semi-retired, whatever marketing consultant. Might consider helping in return for a custom cue or two.

You can contact me here if/when you are ready to

1) Add killer content to the site.
2) Make the site productive .... in terms of driving prospects to customers.
3) Set YOUR cue maker apart from the other, more than 300 in the U.S., other cue makers vying for business.
4) Get folks to visit the site. Just putting a site on the internet does not guarantee that anyone will find it/visit it.

I can help with these matters.

Best Regards

rugerfan
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I found that there is a big difference in the different web building software out there. For ease of use to some pretty extreme limitations on simpler versions. I have been playing around with some of the different packages and while time consuming, the advantanced prepackaged templetes may be right up my ally!