PDA

View Full Version : Final 4 WPBA

DRW
03-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Karen C/Gerda and Pan/Chang.

Crownedone61
03-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Semifinal 1 will feature Gerda Hofstatter, who defeated Ga-Young Kim in the quarterfinals, against Karen Corr, who defeated Kelly Fisher 9-6 in their quarterfinal match up.

Semifinal 2 will feature Xiaoting Pan, who defeated Sarah Rousey in the quarterfinals, against Shu-Han Chang, who defeated Jeanette Lee 9-8 in the quarterfinals.

The matches will be aired on ESPN, April 10 starting 12 noon EST.

Skess
03-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Wow! Karen must've have cranked it up. She was down 3-1 to Kelly Fisher last I saw.

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Wow! Karen must've have cranked it up. She was down 3-1 to Kelly Fisher last I saw.

She was down 3-0 to start the match. Chang was down 4-0 to Jeanette. I like Chang's game, very smart and very solid all around. Kelly Fisher may be the best pocketer of balls of all the women and Karen Corr just took her off her game. Karen knows how to win.

The women who had the most experience playing on Diamonds had an edge this week (Jeanette, Sarah and especially Gerda, who has one in her home). It was a major adjustment for many of them to switch from years of Gold Crowns to Diamonds. Playing on a Diamond is like playing the U.S. Open golf tourney. It is really the best test of how good you play. The table is fair but tough. And a lot of women found that out this week.

It was once again interesting to see many of the top women in action. I missed Yu Ram Cha who came home ill after winning the Amway Cup in Taiwan. She is such a fine player. But I have to say that after a year of watching players like Ralf, Shane, Dennis (Hatch and Orcollo), Johnny, Efren and Mika, there is a noticeable difference in skill level. Even the very best women lack some of the skills of the top men. The top men can come with bigger shots when required to do so, and they make fewer errors overall. The best men players can make shots that look difficult for the women to execute appear routine. And their cue ball control is also more advanced. That said, I have already witnessed matches where a woman has raised her level of play to beat a very good man. Jasmin, Yu Ram, Allison, Gerda, Jeanette and Karen are only a few who come quickly to mind. They can do it, that's for sure.

The top women to me play about like the medium level pros. I'm talking about players who can get well up in the money, maybe even make the top ten in an event. Part of this evaluation has to do with their lack of experience on Diamonds. I think given time competing against the men, there are many women who would become competitive with the best players, maybe even win a major tournament. Truly open events is the best answer I know of to make pool an exciting sport for the masses. Almost everyone likes to see women play men in anything, and if they're competitive so much the better. There is really no other sport (maybe bowling) that offers women the same opportunity.

The powers that be in professional pool need to get their heads together to make this happen on a larger scale. Then we do have something to offer a much wider audience. Just my two cents as usual. :smile-square:

cajunfats
03-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Jay,that was great work you did stepping in the booth. I had the action on Full Screen the whole time. I agree with your assesment of the skill levels between the men and women. The play in open competition will only enhance the skills of the women players. Thank You and All the WPBA Ladies who provided us with a great weekend of Entertainment!! Peace My Brother.

Gatz
03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Um...isn't this Changs first WPBA event? and wasn't she the one that won that qualifier?

If so, thats damn strong! If she wins would it be a first for someone that has ever won a WPBA event their first time?

maldito
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Corr is one tough cookie - 2nd in Asia tournament

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Um...isn't this Changs first WPBA event? and wasn't she the one that won that qualifier?

If so, thats damn strong! If she wins would it be a first for someone that has ever won a WPBA event their first time?

Yes and yes!

LAMas
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM

You are correct sir.
She is a Taiwan Champion. There are few more younger up and dcomers from Taiwan waiting in the wings - I hear.

There seems to be more competition is Asia than the USA - glad that some come to America..

alstl
03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I watched some of the feed last night and as always I enjoyed it. The commentary was all great, including what I heard from Jay.

My only complaint is I wish ESPN would stop being so cheap and get behind the women's tour. The money it would take to fund 20 events a year is chump change for them.

OK, now I'm off the soapbox. The players remaining are all straight shooters but I like Karen from here because of her experience under pressure.

LAMas
03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I watched some of the feed last night and as always I enjoyed it. The commentary was all great, including what I heard from Jay.

My only complaint is I wish ESPN would stop being so cheap and get behind the women's tour. The money it would take to fund 20 events a year is chump change for them.

OK, now I'm off the soapbox. The players remaining are all straight shooters but I like Karen from here because of her experience under pressure.

I know that the WPBA used to pay ESPN for their coverage - has that changed?

AlisonF9ball
03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know if there will be updates on the semifinal and final matches?

It's definitely impressive to see Chang make it to the final four of her first WPBA event! I'm interested to see how she does against Pan...

NineballBEN
03-14-2010, 12:07 PM
The top women to me play about like the medium level pros. I'm talking about players who can get well up in the money, maybe even make the top ten in an event. Part of this evaluation has to do with their lack of experience on Diamonds. I think given time competing against the men, there are many women who would become competitive with the best players, maybe even win a major tournament. Truly open events is the best answer I know of to make pool an exciting sport for the masses. Almost everyone likes to see women play men in anything, and if they're competitive so much the better. There is really no other sport (maybe bowling) that offers women the same opportunity.

The powers that be in professional pool need to get their heads together to make this happen on a larger scale. Then we do have something to offer a much wider audience. Just my two cents as usual.

Hey Jay I like the way you think...you can have my 2cents to add to your own and then maybe someone will take notice!!!:thumbup:

haminh
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
It was once again interesting to see many of the top women in action. I missed Yu Ram Cha who came home ill after winning the Amway Cup in Taiwan. She is such a fine player.

I thought Yu already came back to Korea since her training with Charlie was scheduled for 1 year only. Did she get an extension or something?

On the side note, she did look ill in the last couple months.

GADawg
03-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if there will be updates on the semifinal and final matches?

It's definitely impressive to see Chang make it to the final four of her first WPBA event! I'm interested to see how she does against Pan...

Me too. I don't know for sure but would not be surprised if they have played before in Asian tournaments. Pan is in her late 20's and Shu Han looks to be not far from that so they both have been around for a while in Asian pool.

jay helfert
03-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Me too. I don't know for sure but would not be surprised if they have played before in Asian tournaments. Pan is in her late 20's and Shu Han looks to be not far from that so they both have been around for a while in Asian pool.

I think she's 27, but I've been wrong before. :rolleyes: I overheard her and Sarah talking and they are the same age within a couple of months. Another "rumor" I heard was that Pan and her father own EIGHTEEN pool rooms in Shanghai! Pool is definitely BOOMING in mainland China.

Roy Steffensen
03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Chang was up 3-1 against Xiaoting Pan in the semi, got snookered on the 6-ball but jumped it in, but missed the 7.

3-3 now, race to 7.

Gerda won the first semi 7-4 over Karen.

Roy Steffensen
03-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Chang is on the hill, 6-5, after Xiaoting Pan scratched on the 8.

Johnnyt
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
GOOOO Cheri Baby. Johnnyt

Roy Steffensen
03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Chang won 7-5

Johnnyt
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Chang won 7-5

Thank you very much Roy. Johnnyt

sk8ordie
03-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you Roy.

mrinsatiable
03-14-2010, 05:10 PM
its good to see gerda doing so well and breaking into the finals. her results are impressive. having to go thru Ga young and Karen corr says a lot about her game.

Chang looks to be a very promising player from taiwan her execution seems great, being an experienced player from asia she brings a new face to the quickly changing game of womens billiards.

GADawg
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I think she's 27, but I've been wrong before. :rolleyes: I overheard her and Sarah talking and they are the same age within a couple of months. Another "rumor" I heard was that Pan and her father own EIGHTEEN pool rooms in Shanghai! Pool is definitely BOOMING in mainland China.

Pool is BOOMING in China but I think that story about 18 is not true. I know her father and when I left Shanghai a little over a year ago, they had an interest in 3 pool rooms. The first one, called XinXin is a small room and has 4 snooker tables and 6 pool tables. The other two newer rooms are large and use her name.

I find it hard to believe they have bought or opened 15 more in a year.

Below is a picture I took at a China ranking tournament in the first of the new PXT pool rooms a couple years ago. The picture shows about 1/3 of the room. Note the use of referees. One for each 2 tables in the early stages.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/walt8880/PXT/IMG_0337.jpg

sarahrousey
03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I think XTP and her family own somewhere between 9-11 pool rooms. I went to one of them that was fairly new when I was in Shanghai last summer. I know she was opening another the following week. The one that we went to had maybe 20 pool tables and 6-10 12ft snooker tables. She also had two private rooms that were climate controlled and nearly sound-proof. One had a 9ft table and the other had a snooker table. Pretty impressive!

Sarah