PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder surgery advice............

genomachino
03-14-2010, 04:40 AM
DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING. BACK IN 1995 I DISLOCATED MY LEFT SHOULDER REAL BAD. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE PAIN LIKE THIS BUT THEN AGAIN I NEVER HAD IT FIXED. IT ACTUALLY TOOK A LONG TIME TO HEAL FINALLY SO IT FELT OK. LIKE ABOUT 7 YEARS.

I WAS WORKING FOR CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS AND I FEEL OFF A CUSTOMERS PORCH.JUST GOT MY ARM UP IN TIME TO KEEP FROM BREAKING MY SKULL. I REMEMBER TELLING MYSELF IF I EVER START PLAYING POOL AGAIN IT'S NOT GOING TO BE FOR AWHILE.

THE PAIN WAS TERRIBLE. I LAID THERE FOR ABOUT 15 TO 20 MINUTES BEFORE I TRIED TO GET UP. I WAS SURE THAT I BROKE EVERYTHING IN MY ARM AND MY SHOULDER.

THIS WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS BEFORE BEING DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES IN JAN 2009. ABOUT A MONTH AFTER I FELL I HAD A STROKE. THEY CALLED IT A MINI.

IT WASN'T UNTIL JAN 3RD THAT THE DOC FIGURED OUT WHY I WAS SO SICK. I AM DIABETIC.

MY SHOULDER WAS NEVER RIGHT AGAIN AS I WENT TO VEGAS,DENVER,DES MOINE,GALVASTON,FLORIDA,MARYLAND,THE US OPEN,INDIANAPOLIS,CHICAGO AND THEN BACK TO WISCONSIN GIVING LESSONS AND PLAYING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

ON MY JOURNEY I WAS BOUND AND DETERMINED TO TEACH EVERYONE I MET HOW TO AIM AND PLAY AS MANY PLAYERS AS I COULD AND HAVE ALOT OF FUN IN A BUNCH OF TOURNAMENTS.

I FELT LIKE A POOL PLAYER WITH A SECOND CHANCE. BECAUSE IT WAS A SECOND CHANCE TO PLAY THE GAME I LOVED AND HAD TO QUIT 8 YEARS BEFORE.

BUT DURING MY TRIP I WAS FINDIND OUT THAT I WAS HAVING BIG TROUBLE WHEN I WOULD PLAY THE NEXT DAY AFTER PLAYING ALOT THAT DAY. I WAS BLAMING IT ON BEING DIABETIC BUT I KNOW NOW THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM.

WHEN I FELL I JUST GOT MY ARM UP IN TIME TO SAVE MY HEAD. MY ELBOW HIT THE CEMENT SO AS TO JAM MY UPPER ARM INTO THE SHOULDER. THIS CAUSED SOME PRETTY SERIOUS DAMAGE.

MY BICEP MUSCLE WAS TORE IN 2 PLACES WHERE IT CONNECTS IN THE SHOULDER. THERE WAS ALSO SOME CARTILAGE TEARS IN A COUPLE OF PLACES ALSO.

THE LAST 6 MONTHS I NEVER PRACTICED BECAUSE THE SHOULDER WOULD GET TOO SORE. I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT TO HEAL UP NOW THAT THEY FIXED IT. I NEED TO HAVE IT IMMOBILIZED FOR 3 WEEKS. I CAN SQUEEZE A BALL AND DO A COUPLE OF LIMITED MOTION EXCERSIZES.

SO MUCH FOR TALKING SMART AND PLAYING IN 2 WEEKS TO A MONTH.

BUT ONCE AGAIN I FEEL LIKE I'M GETTING A SECOND CHANCE TO ENJOY THE GAME WE ALL LOVE AND TRY TO TAKE IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL IN MY LIFE. BECAUSE THAT IS THE BEST PART OF THIS GAME.BEING ABLE TO PLAY EACH DAY AND IMPROVE EACH DAY.

I HAVE A DREAM TO GET A MOTORHOME AND TRAVEL FROM POOLHALL TO POOLHALL, STATE TO STATE PLAYING, TEACHING MY PERFECT AIM AND JUST HAVING A GREAT TIME MEETING SO MANY GOOD PEOPLE THAT WE HAVE IN THIS POOL WORLD.

THIS WAS A LITTLE SETBACK HAVING THIS SURGERY BUT IT WAS A GOOD ONE.I'M ASSUMING A FULL RECOVERY AND WILL ACCEPT NOTHING ELSE.

MY BICEP RIGHT NOW IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A HOT DOG. SO I DON'T THINK I WILL EVER COMPETE IN ANY WIEGHT LIFTING CONTESTS BUT I'M PRETTY SURE I'M GONNA BE [PLAYING SOME MEAN POOL AGAIN.

I WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL MY FRIEND FOR WISHING ME WELL WITH THE SURGERY.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET AT IT AGAIN.

I MUST BE A POOL PLAYER. BECAUSE I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING IN THE WORLD I'D RATHER DO WITH THE REST OF MY LIFE. AND I'M GOING TO DO IT AND NOW I HOPE I CAN DO IT JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER.

IT'S KIND OF COMICAL. I HAVE THIS LITTLE ICE COOLER THAT I FILL UP WITH ICE. THERE ARE 2 LINES SIDE BY SIDE THAT GO TO LIKE A HEATING PAD ONLY IT'S A COLD PAD. THE COLD WATER CIRCULATES THROUGH THIS AND KEEPS THE SHOULDER COLD TO KEEP THE SWELLING DOWN. I NEED THIS FOR 3 DAYS 20 HOURS A DAY. AFTER THAT ABOUT 4 TIMES A DAY FOR AN HOUR EACH TIME.

THEN WHEN I LAY DOWN TO SLEEP I HAVE SLEEP APNEA SO I HAVE TO HOOK UP THIS BREATHING MACHINE WITH A BUNCH OF STRAPS AND A MASK. I LOOK LIKE THE SLEEP GLADIATOR.

THE FIRST TIME I GOT UP TONIGHT TO USE THE BATHROOM IT WAS LIKE A COMEDY SKIT FROM SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. ONCE I MADE IT TO THE BATHROOM TO TRY AND DO WHAT I HAD TO I JUST STARTED LAUGHING OUTLOUD. I DIDN'T LAUGH LONG THOUGH BECAUSE IT KIND OF HURT. GOOD THING I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.

ANYWAY THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY OXYCODONE STATE OF WHATEVER. THIS HAS BEEN QUITE AN EXPERIENCE SO FAR
AND I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY POOL.

AS FAR AS MY PERFECT AIM REVIEW GUYS. IF I SOUND A LITTLE SLOWED DOWN WHEN YOU CALL IT'S JUST THE PILLS AND I REALLY NEED THEM RIGHT NOW.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL BECAUSE IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO DO THIS LEFT HANDED. 715-563-8712 AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT CALLING AND BOTHERING ME. I WANT YOU TO CALL. THIS IS ONE THING I CAN DO DURING MY RECOVERY IS TALK.:yeah::happydance::wave2:

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE AND I WILL BE BACK.

All4Moose
03-14-2010, 05:32 AM
geno-godspeed in your recovery. I always enjoy your posts, as you are almost always in a positive mood... something we poolplayers are seldom in it seems. So thanks for sharing, hope all is well...
All4Moose

ShootingArts
03-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Gene,

I pretty much shattered the socket in my left shoulder back around 1973. Back then the surgery was considerably more invasive and the cut ran over halfway around my shoulder. Bad thing is that I slept on my left side so even sleeping in a recliner I would roll over on the left side sometimes. to make matters worse the arm would be kind of hung up in the chair.

My arm had to stay in a sling for seven weeks, a little one handed pool was all I could play. I'd found a nice little ring game the first week after surgery and the same day the surgeon told me I could take my arm out of the sling I went and busted that game, I had been itching to get in it for six weeks and there wasn't any hold back in me that night. Foolish of course, it cost me in the long run.

All these years later the shoulder hurts once or twice a year. It never stopped me from doing some seriously demanding activities after a few months healing so I'd think you will be good as new before long. However, I will warn you to listen to the doctors and health professionals. You can be your own worst enemy if you try to push things too fast and slow down your recovery.

Good luck and try to have a little patience, something I was never good at!

Hu

Hank
03-14-2010, 05:46 AM
I wish you a speedy and full recovery,small set backs are somtimes good for us.God has a funny sense of humor!I start my physical therapy monday for my left shoulder labral tear.Need to get it back for work,pool golf,swimming,and life in general.Keep us updated on your progress.>>HANK<<

CreeDo
03-14-2010, 07:35 AM
I laughed at oxycodone state of whatever :D and sleep gladiator. Good luck with your recovery Geno. Don't do anything crazy with it. Hope you can get that motorhome and visit new england sometime.

CocoboloCowboy
03-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Geno maybe you need a vacation from Perfect Aiming, Pool, Computer, etc. So you Surgury was not a waist of money. THINK ABOUT WHAT THE DOC SAID ABOUT HEALING TIME!...NUFF Said.

spktur
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Now it's time for the tough part. REHAB!!! Do the rehab religiously it will make the difference but that therapist was trained by Nazi's. lol But seriously you will just have to gut it out for a short while and you will get the fexibility and strength back. Besides it can't be that bad we don't feel a thing.

Monto P2
03-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I have similar concern in my left shoulder as well. Planning to go for arthroscopic surgery as well:thumbup:

Elephant Man
03-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Hang in there Geno! Just got your DVD yesterday and started watching it while cleaning up the house for a party we had last night. My computer locked up on chapter 7, but it was nice to put a face with the voice. My wife said "That sounds like the guy on the speaker phone the other night". Anyway, lost 3 games out of about 50. Left cuts still needing some work. Plan on watching DVD and practicing as soon as this headache goes away... maybe tomorrow. :frown: Get your rest and you should be better than before in no time!

alstl
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Good luck.

Terry Ardeno
03-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Good luck to you Geno.

Falcon Eddie
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Geno, since the shoulder is the most mobile joint in the body it is also the most vulnerable to injury. If you have already had the surgery then your recovery is up to you. They have already prescribed physical therapy . If you haven't, understand that though repairing these things are now routine, the time to fully recover to gain your range of motion without much discomfort will be long. Anyway, good luck ! God speed