PDA

View Full Version : Gina,Hercek,Szamboti,Searing

AK-Stick
03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
This is going to be subjective to individual likes and thoughts but I'll ask any way. If you had $6000.00 to spend on a cue (I don't) which of the following 4 would you spend it on?

Gina
Hercek
Szamboti
Searing

I left out some other contenders, Schick,Black,Joss,Haley,Scruggs etc. I am thinking along both the playing ability and investment opportunity of the cues. I am not speaking of the possiability of putting it away and selling later but of playing it and recouping a bit of profit. I believe all of these would return the $6000.00

real bartram
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
This is going to be subjective to individual likes and thoughts but I'll ask any way. If you had $6000.00 to spend on a cue (I don't) which of the following 4 would you spend it on?

Gina
Hercek
Szamboti
Searing

I left out some other contenders, Schick,Black,Joss,Haley,Scruggs etc. I am thinking along both the playing ability and investment opportunity of the cues. I am not speaking of the possiability of putting it away and selling later but of playing it and recouping a bit of profit. I believe all of these would return the $6000.00

gina they seem to go up in price more than any other.

Worminator
03-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Can't really go wrong with any of the cues mentioned. From purely an investment perspective, a $6K Szam would be hard to pass up, and a $6K Scruggs would probably be the least desirable due to the number of cues Tim has made (although I love his cues).

I am partial to Haley cues, so they would be right up at the top. Ginas are always a good investment.

CocoboloCowboy
03-14-2010, 07:09 AM
If I had an extra 6K to spend on a Cue, I would go on a trip to Aisa, and visit Thiland, Loas, Cambodia, China, and the Phillipines until the money was gone.

Ken_4fun
03-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Can't really go wrong with any of the cues mentioned. From purely an investment perspective, a $6K Szam would be hard to pass up, and a $6K Scruggs would probably be the least desirable due to the number of cues Tim has made (although I love his cues).

I am partial to Haley cues, so they would be right up at the top. Ginas are always a good investment.

If you can get a Szam for $6K, you better pick it up period.

IMO, Haley, Searing, Herreck and Showman.

I agree with Jamie, too many Scruggs out there.

I havent made money or lost money on Gina, but I was able to play with it and eventually resell it for about what I payed for it. If you get a Gina however, be prepared to see ALOT of cues just like it. While he has done some one of kinds, he has made alot of the same cues.

Once you hit with a Szamboti, your question will be answered.

Ken

cajunfats
03-14-2010, 10:03 AM
If you can get a Szam for $6K, you better pick it up period.

IMO, Haley, Searing, Herreck and Showman.

I agree with Jamie, too many Scruggs out there.

I havent made money or lost money on Gina, but I was able to play with it and eventually resell it for about what I payed for it. If you get a Gina however, be prepared to see ALOT of cues just like it. While he has done some one of kinds, he has made alot of the same cues.

Once you hit with a Szamboti, your question will be answered.

Ken Ken,the last sentence you wrote is what makes all the difference,regardless of cost. I had the honor to hit a few balls with Gus's Personal Cue back in 1987 at Tony Catucci's Pool Room in New Jersey. A few years later I worked for Fred Wherlan and Gary Medlin at their pool room,and Gary owned a plain 4 pt. Gus. Gary is Gem Cues,and he makes all his cues by hand. Pantograph,lathes,etc.,but no computer or cnc mills. When I commisioned him for my cue,I was very specific about the Hit. All I said was," I want it to Hit like your Szamboti." That was 1992 and I still have that cue today. After that,IMHO,the next would be Bill Stroud Mid-late 80's,Paul Mottey-same era,Tim Scruggs-mid 90's,and Pete"the Cop" Tascarella-Today. Just MHO. I'll attach a pic of my Gem Cue,it is my ode to Gus in a way to say thanks for that brief moment of pure Joy!

Falcon Eddie
03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Dennis Searing has always made cues for playability . He wanted to make the perfect players cue. I was recently at his shop and he was working on one of the most intricate beautiful cues I've ever seen. Now, don't know how long it would take to get one but it would be incredible. I play with a Skip Weston and he was admiring the workmanship of it. Lots of greats out there..good luck

cueaddicts
03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Szam hands down....imo of course. :smile:

DogsPlayingPool
03-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Gina.

Then Szam or Searing.

Strictly subjective of course.

macguy
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Gina
Hercek
Szamboti
Searing

If you are buying the cue to play with I would with out a doubt buy a Hercek. The other three are collectibles and play can be hit and miss. Just my opinion of course. It's funny, sometimes you will meet someone with a cue they will tells you is the best playing cue they have ever played with. Then you see them 6 months later and they are rid of the cue they will tell you the truth. When they own the cue they have no choice but to defend it. No one wants to admit they have a $5000.00 lemon.

DogsPlayingPool
03-14-2010, 05:22 PM
If you are buying the cue to play with I would with out a doubt buy a Hercek. The other three are collectibles and play can be hit and miss. Just my opinion of course. It's funny, sometimes you will meet someone with a cue they will tells you is the best playing cue they have ever played with. Then you see them 6 months later and they are rid of the cue they will tell you the truth. When they own the cue they have no choice but to defend it. No one wants to admit they have a $5000.00 lemon.

Wow, that's the first I've heard of any of these makers putting out inconsistent cues. I don't have a lot of experience with Barry's or Dennis' cues but have heard nothing but wonderful things about the playability.

Ginas I know. I've owned several over more years than I care to admit to and have played many others, and without exception they have all been monsters. And this goes all the way back to his first sticks, not just the G2's.