PDA

View Full Version : training drills for a new player?

elove
03-14-2010, 07:56 AM
My wife recently started playing pool with me. Myself I am not a great nor horrific player [6-7 apa ] But I learned the unconventional way... gambling ... So I payed for my lessons started when I was 15 quit when I was 21 ..started a family and recently picked it up again at 40 but I don't know how to explain certain things to some one new to the game...any advice on drills that she can do to help elevate her game? We do have a table now she insited on it...

mnorwood
03-14-2010, 08:04 AM
My wife recently started playing pool with me. Myself I am not a great nor horrific player [6-7 apa ] But I learned the unconventional way... gambling ... So I payed for my lessons started when I was 15 quit when I was 21 ..started a family and recently picked it up again at 40 but I don't know how to explain certain things to some one new to the game...any advice on drills that she can do to help elevate her game? We do have a table now she insited on it...
If you go to the youtube link in my signature you will find my channel. I have an old video about stroke training methods.

Hope this helps,
Marcus

cswann1
03-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Well for begginers, I'd say just spending time at the table playing is the best thing. Once a player get's comfortable with a cue in hand and can pocket easy shots with consistency then drills can be employed to take it up a notch.

One of my favorites is the 3 ball drill, which is excellent not only for working on cb control, but also helps a player think smarter.

The long straight shot is a drill that I do very often. It is immediate feedback to me on whether or not I'm stroking straight.

Also I practice rail shots a lot. I just put a ball on the cushion on each of the six rails and try shoot them into corner pockets without having to pick up and reposition the cb.

pooltchr
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I would be happy to come up to Blacksburg for a weekend and spend a couple of days working with her. I can promise she will have plenty of good stuff to work on by the time I leave.
Steve

Skeezicks
03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
look here
http://www.sfbilliards.com/basics.pdf

Ralph Kramden
03-15-2010, 04:28 PM

Just have her follow, stop and draw the cue ball.
You can have her work on drills if she can do that.

Just for fun click on the games link in my signature...

alstl
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Have her play equal offense. Break the balls, bih behind the headstring, run balls until she misses. She will improve in three areas, pocketing balls, position play and patterns. The only thing it doesn't help is safety play and kicking but a beginner needs the offense first.

poolplayer2093
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

get a video camera and have her videotape her practice sessions.

it's kind of remedial but the monk 101 tape has a few drills that're real good for beginners. even after all the time i've put in on a table i practice long straight in shots a lot. if i'm really bearing down and practicing i won't stop until i can practice that shot and a few others 20 times in a row. i don't move on to the next shot until i get 20 of the 1st one down