PDA

View Full Version : Very Belated Introduction

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Hello azb'ers;

I see that another azb'er had recently introduced himself and thought it might be appropriate for me to do the same. I have been a member on azb, lurking since March 2007, however, I only began posting during the last month or so. I was mostly looking at cues for sale here previously.

My name is Brian Carroll and I live in Connecticut. My love for pool began way back when I was a high school freshman in the early 70's. I was maybe 13 or 14 years old. My buddy and I would skip school and invariably find ourselves at our local Sam's Pool Hall. Sam must have been close to 80years old then and for reasons I'm not sure of, he allowed us to come in and hang out there. I think we amused him. This wasn't a kid-friendly environment. It was a dank, smokey place with real characters always coming and going. Mike and I were intrigued with the whole vibe, and most especially, with the better players whose sets typically ended with money changing hands. That was it for us, we were hooked.

We started playing regularly and for teenagers, I have to say, we became pretty good - to the point where we eventually were going up against some of those better players and holding our own.

I joined the Army in '75 and whenever possible, at whatever base I was stationed, I spent a lot of time in the day room (rec room) working on my game. I competed in a large Army tournament and was real happy to win the Brigade 8-ball championship for the 4th Infantry Division at Wiesbaden Air Base, Germany.

But that was then and this is now! How does that country song go?... "I'm not as good as I once was; but once I was as good as I ever was..." LOL

So, for an old man of 53 I still have some game but not a whole bunch anymore. Yes, I would appreciate the 7 and out.

While I still do enjoy playing, I am now also focused on collecting and trading cues and cases. Certainly not on a scale with some here on azb but I do have some nice and interesting stuff.

Since becoming more interactive here over the last month I will share the following observations:

There are some hilariously funny and clever people here. I mean gut-splitting funny. For instance that hybrid child photo of Jay Helfert & Trigger - OMG that was the funniest thing ever! I propose the name for that love-child to be 'Jaeger'.

There is a wealth of billiard info to be found here. Example: If I only had the physics lessons Dr. Dave provides on DVD back in the Sam's Pool Hall Days.

There is a constant flow of beautiful gear and instructional books and videos to be had here.

There are selfless people on azb who make major contributions for the love of our sport - to be able to click my mouse and see Shane playing Thorsten or Earl accomplishing his monumental win on UStream. Thank you for this!

I feel privileged to be able to hang out on here and look forward to interacting with you all. I'll be attending the SBE later this week and would enjoy meeting some of my fellow azb'ers, if possible.

Thanks very much and good rolls to all.

Best Regards,
Brian (KC)

cajunfats
03-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Brian,I would like to say Hello. I really enjoyed your post. Thank Goodness when I went to the Audio Club in Wiesbaden I didn't run into you at the Recreation Center. I could see my Stereo Money going to support your pool playing lifestyle:yikes::D. The story of your youth reminded me of my initial introductions to pool. That is why the AZ Forums are so wonderful. You have already contributed something positive in the beginning and that is a great sign for the things you'll contribute later. Welcome Aboard and I know you'll collect a lot of those green things:thumbup:,along the way.

MikeM
03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Chicken,

Welcome. I hope to meet you at VF.

Mike

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank Goodness when I went to the Audio Club in Wiesbaden I didn't run into you at the Recreation Center. I could see my Stereo Money going to support your pool playing lifestyle:yikes::D. .

This is great, Cajunfats. - it was like a rite of passage for young soldiers in Germany to take advantage of the monumental deals on stereo equipment at the audio club. I think the Wiesbaden AC was actually in Mainz Kastel and I spent a fair amount of time there, too. In fact, I just in the last year or so sold my Pioneer SPEC1 Amp and SPEC2 Pre amp on ebay for big bucks. Those days listening to amazing speakers at the club; Klipschorns and all, wow! What year were you there? For me it was '77-'78.

.[/QUOTE]Welcome Aboard and I know you'll collect a lot of those green things:thumbup:,along the way.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words.

Cheers,
KC

cajunfats
03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
This is great, Cajunfats. - it was like a rite of passage for young soldiers in Germany to take advantage of the monumental deals on stereo equipment at the audio club. I think the Wiesbaden AC was actually in Mainz Kastel and I spent a fair amount of time there, too. In fact, I just in the last year or so sold my Pioneer SPEC1 Amp and SPEC2 Pre amp on ebay for big bucks. Those days listening to amazing speakers at the club; Klipschorns and all, wow! What year were you there? For me it was '77-'78.

.Welcome Aboard and I know you'll collect a lot of those green things:thumbup:,along the way.[/QUOTE]

Cheers,
KC[/QUOTE] I was there from 1975-1978. I extended an extra year,went TDY to Garmisch:grin:. Wow! I Lusted over that exact set of components!! I went for the JBL 4311WX Studio Monitors and the TEAC-A6300 Reel to Reel. That stuff was awesome. You see,your little post has unleashed a flood of memories,and there are more of us here at AZ. Heck,we may have to start our own thread!!

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome Aboard and I know you'll collect a lot of those green things:thumbup:,along the way.

Cheers,
KC[/QUOTE] I was there from 1975-1978. I extended an extra year,went TDY to Garmisch:grin:. Wow! I Lusted over that exact set of components!! I went for the JBL 4311WX Studio Monitors and the TEAC-A6300 Reel to Reel. That stuff was awesome. You see,your little post has unleashed a flood of memories,and there are more of us here at AZ. Heck,we may have to start our own thread!![/QUOTE]

TDY to Garmish? I did a little time very close to Garmish Partinkirshen (sp?) in the Alps where the army had, if you can believe it, a combat skiing school. White combat suits, slung rifles, backpacks, and skis with breakleg bindings that will not pop off during a fall.

Ahhhhh, the memories.

You're right, we may have to start a seperate thread. :D

And thoss old Teac reel to reel players were the nuts. You had to either have a Teac or a Revox. All others were mere imitators.

KC

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Chicken,

Welcome. I hope to meet you at VF.

Mike

that would be great, Mike.

If you want, pm me your cell # and I'll give you a call.

thanks,
KC

Cuebuddy
03-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Wow I could copy and paste nearly that whole intro for myself and it would be correct, all but the army part.The name of the dank place I was allowed to hang out at was Micecks B&G. Welcome to the forum :smile:.

DogsPlayingPool
03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Hello azb'ers;

I see that another azb'er had recently introduced himself and thought it might be appropriate for me to do the same. I have been a member on azb, lurking since March 2007, however, I only began posting during the last month or so. I was mostly looking at cues for sale here previously...

Thank you for the explanation. Your were beginning to creep me out because I thought you've been following me. :smile:

Welcome to the board!

BTW, did you buy a cue on here?

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the explanation. Your were beginning to creep me out because I thought you've been following me. :smile:

Welcome to the board!

BTW, did you buy a cue on here?

Hi DPP;

Yes, in fact in all that time I did buy one cue here. A Joe Callaluca cue from Joe himself. A real nice guy and a very nice cue.

I have also dealt directly with other collectors offline and have purchased quite a few cues on eBay.

Thanks,
KC

NineballBEN
03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Well then a very belated welcome aboard is in order...lol..I started out as a lurker too,but the topics of conversation were just too much for me to stay quite.

Kickin' Chicken
03-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Well then a very belated welcome aboard is in order...lol..I started out as a lurker too,but the topics of conversation were just too much for me to stay quite.

thank you, sir.

kc